We stayed at Catalonia Bavaro from 9/10/2013 until 16/10/2013 and had a great time!
Like so many people, we checked tripadvisor while choosing our hotel. Despite the sometimes negative reviews (1 out of 10 i guess), we decided to go here.
I will review a couple of things, let me start with:
1. The staff
The staff will do anything to make your holiday wonderful, they are motivated and 99 % of them always carry a big smile. We decided to thank them by giving tips on a regular basis.
As far as tips go, they earn circa 250$ per month. So when you give them a tip of a few dollars, it's more than enough.
2. The rooms
We stayed in a non-privileged room (room 2525). On arrival in the room, we were pleasantly surprised. The air conditioning was working just fine, our bath and shower were clean, and our bed had impeccable linen.
The room stayed this clean for the whole journey, a special thanks to the staff for that!
3. The hotel grounds
One word. Amazing. The hotel has a beautiful atmosphere, from the sea to the entrance. By having so many different plants, you don't really have the feeling that you're in a big resort. It feels and looks very 'cosy' !
The pool (includiing pool bar) was very clean, no leaves or anything in it. Another thing for us (as a young couple), is that we don't want to go 'lay towels' to reserve a seat in at the pool. Luckily, the pool is big enough and there are enough seats for everyone to have a perfect choice where to lay.
The beach was amazing, everything you expect from a beach at the Domenican Republic and more! (see pictures). Again, plenty of space here.
4. The food
The hotel has 2 buffets (1 by the lobby, 1 by the sea) and 4 restaurants (1 Mexican, 1 Steak House, 1 Japanese and 1 Italian).
As far as buffets go, this was a good one. I have 2 simple rules for a buffet: cold food should be cold, hot food should be hot (and of course tasty!). This buffet was just like that.
Plenty of choice at anytime of the day (breakfast, lunch and diner), with tasty fresh fruit and vegetables.
Before we went here we read a few bad things about the buffet, but we quickly realized this: if you go to a buffet expecting 3-star-Michelin-graded food, you're gonna have a bad time.
The food is tasty, hygienic and there is enough for everyone.
We tried 2 of the 4 restaurants, the Italian and Steak House. Both were great, but the Steak House was just that little bit better for us. But that could have been because we were starved to death by our excursion :)
5. Activities on the hotel grounds
You can do lots of things at this hotel, especially if you have an all-inclusive formula. You can go sailing with a catamaran, kayaking, snorkeling, etc... for free!
The animation is awesome, and they offer a really big variety of shows.
We want to conclude our review by thanking the staff of the hotel (Leonilda in particular!) and a little bit of advice:
Do not focus on the negative reviews. As with all things in life, negative people are everywhere to be found. But ask yourself this; does a almost perfect hotel suddenly becomes a horrible hotel because some people say it is? ... Exactly, it doesn't.
Enjoy your stay at the Catalonia Bavaro! Oh, and be careful with the rum, it's the real stuff there :)
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- A magnificent hotel resort with exclusive, white sandy beaches, crystalline Caribbean waters, palm trees lining the coast and abundant vegetation throughout the complex. Coral reefs along the beach allow guests to enjoy the rich marine life of the Caribbean Sea. It is located in Playa Cabeza de Toro (Punta Cana), one of the best beach areas in the Dominican Republic. The complex is situated 20 km from the International Airport of Punta Cana and 47 km from Higuey. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with BookIt.com, Booking.com, Despegar.com, Hotels.com, Priceline and Jetsetter so you can book your Catalonia Bavaro Beach, Casino & Golf Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Catalonia Bavaro Beach Hotel
- Catalonia Punta Cana
- Catalonia Bavaro Beach Golf & Casino Resort
- Catalonia Bavaro Punta Cana
- Punta Cana Catalonia Bavaro
- Catalonia Bavaro Beach Resort
- Catalonia Bavaro Resort Punta Cana
- Catalonia Hotel Punta Cana
- Catalonia Resort Punta Cana
- Catalonia Bavaro Hotel