“Amazing trip!”

GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Sarnia, Canada
“Amazing trip!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 17, 2013

Stayed march 24-31. I was really worried after we had already booked and read some the of reviews, I think if you don`t love this resort and have a good time you probably have expectations that are way too high and a $1000 trip isn't going to cover your expectations. Right away we met a few people that we hung out with most of the trip and it was a amazing time.

Grounds- Are beautiful. Gorgeous scenery and I give it a 5 star.

Staff- Was excellent. No complaints, all very friendly and do their best to keep you happy. Watch our for the vendors that try to sell you jewelry worth $5 and try to charge you $250! They give you a free gift and then try to force you to buy their stuff, and get very offensive when you say no after they give you a ridiculous price....they tell you the jewelry is real and is it NOT.

Food- I loved the buffett by the lobby, they make the food fresh infront of you with your choice of what goes in it. Fav was the pasta.
The buffett by the pool is not so great.
Al el carts- Japanese is by far the best, we went twice. go at 6:30 or you will wait 2 hours.

Rooms- yes a little out dated. We gave our maid a tip everyday and our room was kept clean and stocked daily. They only provide you with 2 beers a day, but if you call they give you more.
The only complaint I have, if you don't upgrade to privilege, you don`t get a alarm clock. We didn't bring any electronics so we always had to call to get the time. I didn't know that knowing the time was a privileged thing. We asked for one and they said no. Showers are tiny, I weigh 110 and every time I turned my butt turned off the water. Not sure how larger people shower..
And as far as pillows, I didn't bother to bring my own even after reading the reviews, they were fine to me, but I usually had quite a few drinks into me by bed time.

Entertainment- Was great, Defiantly go to the beach party Tuesday night, I think that was our funnest night.

Excursions- We did 3. The night club Imagine. It was good, we were a little skeptical of going. It is suppose to be all people form resorts but obviously some locals go to and one tried to follow me into the bathroom. Sketchy. Was still pretty cool though if you like to party. We did the Caribbean festival and it was so much fun! Swam with sharks and stingrays, and drank on a pirate boat , also with a bit of snorkeling.
We also did the doom buggies- This was fun but bring your own bandana if you do this. They charge you $5 and don't tell you that you need one!
I also suggest bringing some things from the dollar store for the kids. You go through the village on this excursion and the kids wait for you to give them high five, they live in tiny huts and don`t have much. We brought some games and candy.
Beach was gorgeous, pool was gorgeous.
Bars- If you like to drink late the snack bar always has beer available. everyone went there that was still up at 5, 6 in the morning. Always pizza and fries available too. The lobby bar was probably the best! The lobby got very busy every night around 9, it was always a good time with entertainment right out side and in the lobby.
Bring your own cooler cup for day time drinking, less refills and keeps your drink colder.
Over all I loved this resort and was one of the best weeks of my life, would defiantly recommend for anyone. If you are looking to relax, or looking to party or just have fun with your family, this resort has everything.

Oh and also, as far as some people saying about the bugs, I didn't have a single bug in my room or anyone that we had met and were hanging out with. And if I did see a bug I would defiantly not blame the resort. That kind of stuff happens.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank MEGS Y

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (899)
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
North Bay, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 17, 2013

Great pool staff at the pool, beach, buffet and bars/ good entertainers. Had a great rapport with "Arrow" and all the others.Steakhouse and Japanese were fantastic, at the buffet eat the stuff that the chefs are cooking on the spot, it was great.
Beach was so-so but was O.K. and the boys at the beach bar always had cold beer for you. I'll go back but will stay at Royal Catalonia side next time.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Dartmouth, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 15, 2013

I will try to keep this review as short as possible; however, I must tell you all how AMAZING and SPECTACULAR this resort is. Aside from the weather being perfect everyday and only 1mm of rain during my vacation there, the hospitality was wonderful, the service was prompt and accurate and I enjoyed every moment there! The beach is beautiful, waters are crystal clear and the staff are constantly grooming and keeping up with all maintenance (beach seaweed if washed on shore, gardening, fixing cracks in concrete sidewalks). The food was great - I am very fussy and enjoyed everything. My only suggestion would be to have different variety each day - instead of the same thing each breakfast, lunch and buffet dinner). The only complaints i have is that there were two sitings of cockroaches in my bathroom and the beds/pillows were not overly comfortable (I did not spend too much time in the room though - but for sleeping it was not overly comfy) besides that no complaints at all!! I enjoyed my trip and would go back tomorrow :) The two people I went along with say the exact same!

Room Tip: Our location was in villa 21 and we were just steps away from the pool which had swim-up bar, buffet...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank CAL1981
Appleton, Wisconsin, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 14, 2013

The rooms were clean and taken care of. The bed and pillows were comfortable. The place is rather large and you do have alot of walking to do but the grouds are beautiful and the beach even better. We never had problems finding chairs at the beach or by the pool. They always had fresh towels for you to get. Plenty of things going on but they don't give you a schedule so you have no idea what is going on and where. You kind of just come across things and then miss others because you didnt know about it. The entertainment staff was good but not great. There were not many people that spoke english but we did okay with only knowing a few words in spanish. It would have been nice to be able to ask more questions with someone who could understand you.

The staff was friendly though and for the most part helpful. We never had problems getting drinks at any of the bars. We took two excursions and had no issues. The food is average and about the same as any other place. There was always something to eat and the snack bar has super good burgers and chicken daily. They also have a 24 hour soda, water and beer fountain and I was very happy that they had Pepsi instead of coke for once. There is always ice in the machine there also.

I would visit again but we would prefer a place a little smaller and with more things to do at night. It would be nice if they gave out a better schedule to you when checking in.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Susie R
Ottawa, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 12, 2013

I would like to say that this has been our second time at this resort. After five years I have found the resort to still be at its best. The staff is friendly and helpful. I want to especially make comments on the animators who always try to make you move and enjoy your day. Miguel and "Big Mama" are great employees and alot of fun. We were upgraded to a priviledge room which was realy nice and our maid Emilia did everything to make our stay comfortable. After a full day we would get a ride back to our room (building 19) by Oscar. He was very pleasant. The beach was always cleaned in the morning and being away from all the other resorts make you feel safe as most people on the beach are from the Catalonia resort.

Jose the Manager of the buffet restaurant is the nicest person we have met. We had him as a waiter 5 years ago and to be remembered after that length of time made us feel special.

We were at the Managers reception but were not recognize as being returning guest. I hope you will update your computer. Our room was 1927 check in on March 24, 2013.

Karina the Hostess at the Italian restaurant always greeting you with a smile.

I would recommend this resort to anyone. I plan on returning to this resort and also try the Catalonia resorts in Riviera Maya. Hopefully we will be treated as nice in Mexico as we were in Punta Cana.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Moncton, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 11, 2013

Was quite excited to be coming to the Catalonia, there were 8 of us 4 sisters & 4 friends. Arrived late March 31. Grounds were 5 star, staff were 5 star, beach was 5 star...........The place is so big, hard to find a chair at the beach or pool. People were stacked towel to towel! Beach is beautiful and very scenic. The pool could have been cleaned more often. it was kinda scuzzy, the buildup of scum upon entry causing it to be very slippery and dangerous. Any other resort we have been too we have always seen someone with a push broom cleaning the scum from the pool. Didn't see anyone ever cleaning this one. And the place was so big I think it could use another pool closer to the lobby. The ponds and lagoons were nice but another pool would have been nicer. Speaking of the ponds and lagoons, they need to be lit up at night and the walkways should not be the same color of the water, very dangerous !.

And a couple of more bathrooms down by the beach would be a good idea as well.

Our room had a king size bed which was not comfy at all, find your spot and don't move, the pillows were a complete joke!! However the beds in our sisters room were nice pillow tops and very comfy, same pillows though. Room needs updated, tiles regrouted. Balcony was nice and used often.

Food, blah! A la cartes, blah!

Prefer a smaller resort and prefer Jamaica. This was our 3 rd time to DR and will be my last.
I'll pay the extra next year and go to Jamaica.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank Loopy0412
Toronto, Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 11, 2013

The last week of March we spent a vacation in Catalonia resort. In the first day of our accommodation we were given a room situated at the very far end of the beach and closest to evening entertainment Theatre. I barely slept that night because of the excessive noise. As a result, the next morning my husband and I decided to upgrade our room to the privilege room, although an extra $250 dollars weren’t a part of our budget. Taking into the consideration the fact that the entire area of the hotel is compact and there are a limited number of quiet rooms with a nice view located close to the beach. Our second frustration was a morning restaurant located at the beach. Best of the few tables had pleasant outlook on the beach area, while the rest were simply in the middle of the room. Occasionally, these few became the most demanded spots to be occupied at first. As we noticed, some good tables joint together remain empty even when the place was pretty crowded. Upon our inquiry about the reservation of the morning breakfast table, a supervisor uneasy separated jointed tables with a great lack of motivation. After that incident, every time we entered the place, he escaped instantly with a profound anger on his face. We enjoyed the quality of food while trying to not concentrate on these minor distortions. Here, I would like to mention that this is our second trip to Punta Cana and as we previously had a great experience with Melia Tropical Hotel, our opinion about Catalonia was build on the comparison of both. If Catalonia hotel was living its own life and tourists either had enough flexibility to accept it or not, the personnel of Melia were more disciplined. This is primarily reflected on our third unfortunate experience with a Mexican restaurant. We waited 10 minutes for the waitress to take our order, before deciding to leave without a meal. As we stood up showing our intention, the waitress instantly took the order and for the rest of the evening we were served in a professional manner. Lastly, and most importantly, I want to point out the fact, that privileged area of the beach is small enough to accommodate only its members, but in reality many couples preoccupied the designated for members area without a permission. This resulted in a lack of sheltered spots with a close access to water, and conflicts between the members. In several instances we were forced to wake up around 6 am just to reserve a spot with our personal belongings, only to find out that our things have been thrown out by other privileged tourists. In conclusion, my husband arrived home very ill and had to spend four consecutive days in bed with severe symptoms. In my opinion Catalonia Bavaro Resort does not deserve a four and a half star hotel rating.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family