Catalonia Bavaro Beach, Casino & Golf Resort
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Regina, Canada
“very good”
Reviewed March 14, 2013

very friendly staff,make you feel at home,,the grounds were well kept aside form the tourists that leave their drink glass laying around,which the staff clean up very quickly,i`ll give this resort a thumbs up

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (914)
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Winnipeg Manitoba
Reviewed March 14, 2013

This was my first trip to Punta Cana and it was all around a great vacation for general rest and relaxation. There are miles of quiet beach to walk along and enough activities to keep you entertained whenever you felt like getting active. The activities directors did a good job of offering lots of activities from volleyball to zumba on the beach. They always made you feel welcome but didn't annoy you if you were not interested in getting off the lounger.
The food was decent and had a lot of variety. The ala carte restaurants were a little hit and miss but each restaurant had a unique theme with different menus including mexican, italian, japanese or american. The buffet always had enough variety to keep me fed, with a few unique offerings at each meal.

There was a good bar in the main lobby and the disco/night club was open from 11:00ish to 2:00 ish. There was usually something to do and you could almost always find a drink at one bar or another.

They had a small casino on site and I managed to play for a couple hours on a couple occasions and actually came out ahead a few bucks. they have a few tables for blackjack and assorted slot machine games. THey also had a couple golf courses attached to the resort but I did not go as it was a little bit costly for a cheap guy from Manitoba (About 5-8 times the cost for a 18 hole round).

There were stores on site and if you didn't feel like wandering off the resort by cab or bus, you could find everything you need on site, or a short walk down the beach (less than five minute walk) there was a public market with about 10-12 stores for souvenirs, cigars or general swag.

Overall, i would definitely consider this resort if you want a relaxing beach vacation. It is MUCH more remote than Cancun, Peurto Vallarto, or Mazatlan areas, so I wouldn't go here if you want to tour around a lot (cabs are a bit expensive). Punta Plata has a bit more local activity (towns and markets) closer to the beach resorts if that is your thing.

Room Tip: All the rooms are pretty well the same, with the premium rooms closer to the beach (but further from...
4 Thank Coldwinterhotbeach
San Francisco, California
Reviewed March 13, 2013

We stayed at Catalonia for 7 days and it was an awesome experience. The staff is very professional and very nice. I would like to give a special thanks to a few of the bartenders that work during the evening shift at the bar near the reception area ( Emmanuel, Alfredo and Eduardo), they made excellent drinks and always had a smile on their face. Also Jesus Hicien was also was very helpful and always willing to help with a smile. Thank you all for a wonderful stay and we hope to return soon.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Cataloniabav, Director General at Catalonia Bavaro Beach, Casino & Golf Resort, responded to this review, March 14, 2013
Dear Guest:

We want you to know how much we appreciate for taking the time to express your comments of you recent stay with us. Your comment is vital for us to continue improving our accommodations.

We will be delighted if you give us the opportunity to have you again as our guests, in our Hotel, so that we may prove that 100% Guest’s satisfaction is our main goal.

Receive warm regards!
toronto
Reviewed March 13, 2013

I have stayed at many all inclusives-so I am comparing this property to other resorts. I travelled with 5 children (ages 12 to 17)

I wish I would of knew:

Activities were very poor -many posted activities did not happen. I never saw the painting until the last day when I kept asking ( I was travelling with 2 13 year old girls who love this stuff). It was posted as a daily activity from 12-2pm at the activity hut. By the way the activity hut was only open sometimes and had limited balls etc. There was never bingo, trivial pursuit etc at the pool(which is common for other resorts). It was the same daily activities of aerobics, dance and volleyball. I also never saw the spanish lessons all week. I would of definitely went to another resort like a Iberostar or Bahia if I would of known this, especially when travelling with 5 kids. Only 2 ping pong tables by the gym or directly on the beach (too windy to play) -know games rooms like other resorts or shuffle board.

The pillows are really as bad as people say-its like a small bag full of cut up foam.

This resort is not directly on Bavaro Beach with the other resorts-so you cannot walk the beach past all the resorts and markets etc. You can still walk the beach at the Catolina, however it is deserted and you have to watch where you walk because of debris and broken glass in a few spots. Not sure if I would walk this beach alone in the early am. I stayed at the Barcelo Palace last year and enjoyed walking down the beach looking at other resorts.

Very strict about under age drinking (I was surprised). At the disco there were asking anyone who looked 25 and under for passport or card ID. Even if they had on adult wrist bands. The drinking age is 18, I saw many upset people. Who wants to go to the bar with their passports? By the way I am 43

Resort is older and is showing its age. The rooms need updating and there is know direct oceanfront or oceanview rooms. The privileged had knew furnishings and paint but the odd room configuration is the same. Not sure if the privlege is worth the $, you can always upgrade when you get there.

There is a ice cream parlour beside the crepe shop-but you have to pay for the ice cream

Though the pool could of been larger-there is a lake in the middle of the resort that should of been a pool. The "lake" is swampy and gross with a few ducks.

Since there is a reef in front of the resort there is no waves-the water is very calm. However with older children it is fun to swim in the waves.

Only 2 volleyballs for the resort-no footballs

No cream for the coffee

I checked out the kids club-not the best, very few children there. Not much to do

Transat/Nolitour rep were not the best. They told me there was no express line at airport for online check in so there is know advantage to check in online at the resort.Thank goodness I did-becasue there is a seperate line for on line check in and it saved me standing in line. They should know this.

Positive

-Never a line up at the buffet or al carte resturants and NO reservations required.
-Japanese is good-however the chef did not put on much of a show like other resorts ( we went 2 times)
-Service was very good
-Clean resort
-Maid service (just what you expect in the DR)
-Few vendors on the beach
-Crepe Bar
-Tuesday Night Beach Party
-No line ups at the bars (the resort was almost at full capacity when I was there)
-Resort is very compact-everything is close
-Beach is very wide with lots of palm trees for shade
-Fridays put blow up slides in the pool for younger children
-Close to the airport

Overall we had a good time for the price we paid. Would I go back -no. I prefer a larger resort with more activities and a little more variety in food. I know my teenage kids were bored by the end of the week. Basically I got what I paid for.

Room Tip: Take a higher level room-avoid bugs etc
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
5 Thank csl27
Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada
Reviewed March 12, 2013

This resort exceded our expectations based on reading other reviews. The grounds were very beautiful and well kept. The buffet had a great selection and we always found something yummy to eat. The room was very comfortable and cleaned well every day. We left a tip for the maid on the bed and in the mini fridge daily. We always got extra water and beer and pop. We always had clean towels and face cloths. We never used the small shower as the bathtub had a hand held shower and we found it easier for washing off the sand at the end of the day.

We brought our own pillows as we had read that the room pillows were poor. However, we must have lucked out as the room pillows were fluffy and actually more comfortable than the ones we brought! We slept comfortably in the king bed. The room temperature was perfect. Our second floor balcony had a great view of the lagoon and birds. The rocking chairs on the balcony made it fun to relax in the evening.

We enjoyed the 4 al la carte restaurants and it was so nice not to have to reserve. The service and food was enjoyable. The dessert selection at this resort was very good. We enjoyed cheese cake and the lovely celebration cakes make on Dominican Day. Also they put on a fancy parade for Dominican Day and decorated so nicely!

The palapas on the beach were huge and offered much shade. We preferred the ones closer to the ground even though it meant we had to stoop to crawl under them. This allowed for more privacy as they seemed to be fairly close together. Most of the loungers were in good condition but they could use several more as by mid-morning people walked the beach looking for vacant ones. We always got up early to reserve ours.

This resort was better than expected considering its trip advisor rating. The staff were very pleasant and hard working. The grounds were beautiful. The resort and room was clean, clean, clean. I would highly recommend this resort.

7 Thank WJWARK
Cataloniabav, Director General at Catalonia Bavaro Beach, Casino & Golf Resort, responded to this review, March 13, 2013
Dear Guest,

We are glad enough to know the details of your stay with us, thanks for your comment.

We hope you will continue giving us the opportunity to make you enjoy of a wonderful holidays. Our team is always committed to making your stay an incredible experience.

We look forward to welcoming you again, thank you for choosing us!
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed March 12, 2013

We live in Toronto but in origin we are from the Lebannon, and we´ve never seen before this level of service, they showed it is a pleassure to assist people, in general everywhere, but specially at the front desk.

We went there two years ago and things were not as described above...special mention to Mr Ricky Sanchez, manager or supervisor I´m not sure...he was really helpful and the best thing we could see ,even he did not realized, he was influencing his team by the example and by advising them...that´s very important! I used to work in the hospitality industry some years ago and believe me, it helps a lot! We hope Catalonia keep this service...

About rooms and other services...Take into account this a four stars hotel not five...I´m not sure but I guess they are refurbishing some rooms...Good food and good beverages.

Internet service is poor...we´ve been told they are working on it...some days worked...

In general good price and very good experience.

Room Tip: If you are early sleepers do not choose villa 16 or 17. If you like hanging out choose any of them...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Abdul N
Dear Valued Client:

Please know that we appreciate you taking the time to share your comments as it helps us to know the opinions of our clients.

We were pleased providing you an excellent service and to know that you liked much. We will review your observations to improve our service.

We look forward to welcome you again. Do not hesitate to contact us.

Cordially!!
Olyphant, Pennsylvania
Reviewed March 11, 2013

We stayed here from February 25th thru March1st with a group of about 20 people for some golf, fun, and relaxation, and received all of that. My wife and I stayed here about 10 years ago and had a great time, so we decided to book here again on a co-sponsored trip by our golf course back home. After reading some of the negatives, I too was getting a little nervous about our vacation, but we, and our group had a wonderfull time. We arrived there about noon time, but we were not able to get into our rooms, but the staff took care of all our things and our group got to relax with a few drinks by the pool and bar area's.
We all were very satisfied with our rooms which when we checked -in and the staff was very accomadating. Everyone enjoyed the food and restraunts especially the caribe al a carte. The breakfast by the beach was awesome every morning as well.
As I said this was also a golf trip and Carlos, the director of golf was very gracious to me and my golf group, as he had golf balls and carts ready every morning for my group as I gave a golf clinic before they played. Carlos, again thanks for all your hospitality you showed while we played at the resorts property 9 hole course, and also executive 9 hole as well.
Lastly, we had great weather approx. 85 degrees, sunny and pleasant at night while watching the shows at the outdoor theater every night.
We will surely be back again !!

Room Tip: rooms in bldg. 30-31 have been redone and are close to the restraunts and bars, and have a great vie...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends