“Home away from home”

Catalonia Bavaro Beach, Casino & Golf Resort
Ranked #54 of 114 Hotels in Punta Cana
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed March 2, 2013

Everything about the Hotel was great, that's why we have returned:) Animation Team was amazing, out getting people involved :). #1 Flecha
#2 Pablo
#3 Condorito
#4 Claribel
#5 Mikey
#6 Spaguetti

All service staff went up and beyond their call. Have recommended your resort to many friends back home in Canada!!! See you all next February:):):)

Many Thanks

Kari-Ann and Carol Kolodie

• Stayed: February 2013
3  Thank 2004grandam
Write a ReviewReviews (11,192)

Reviewed March 2, 2013

The beach is fabulous. The pool is fantastic. The grounds are manicured and beautiful. Only down side is that you must reserve your seats at the pool early in the morning (6:00 a.m). Some days, there were seats reserved and no one used them the entire day. What a shame!!! One day, we just moved the towels to one chair and let someone else use the seats. Wasn't a problem because they never showed up. Photographers could be a nuisance. I know they're trying to make a living but they should learn to take no as an answer and leave you alone.

The food was adequate. It has been my experience that food in the Dominican is always just adequate. No reservations at the a la carte is great and we found that it was easy to get in without any real wait. Would highly recommend the Italian and Japanese but the other ones were great also. Downside is that service is lacking. We did not find that tipping made any difference. Unfortunately, I got a cold/flu after being there a few days. Saw a waiter sneeze into his hands and then continue to handle cutlery. Maybe this explains it.

Rooms were adequate although a bit small. Cleaning the rooms seemed to be problem. I really don't think my room was swept the entire week. Towels & Toilet paper were always in short supply. Fridge was not really restocked. My daughter loved Red Rock orange drink and that was only replaced once. Tipping did not seem to make any difference.

All in all, I would rate this as a good resort. ( 3 1/2 to 4 star). In comparison if you travel to Mexico, you will find that the food and service is not as good. Rooms and cleanliness are not as good. Resort itself is probably much better.

I probably would not upgrade and I don't really think it is worth it. I would not pay more than $850 plus taxes for a one week stay. (from Winnipeg) Otherwise, I think that you would be disappointed. Someone we met at the pool had items taken from their room. This did not happen to us but after that we were more careful. Since we had a late check out, we paid to keep the room. To us this was worth it and we did a small tour on the last day. Just seemed to really extend your vacation.

Downside is that it is quite remote and if you don't like sitting at the pool etc you will want to take excursions. Bavarro Runners is excellent and well worth the price.

Due to my cold/flu, did not really take advantage of the night life so am unable to comment. Other people seemed to really enjoy it.

Not much to buy. Vendors at the hotel were a bit rude but that's because I think their economy is really hurting. I love to shop but I found their manners so lacking that I really just purchased a few items. Bargaining with them was not fun. Although in their defense, some of the guests were very very rude. Alcohol did not bring out the best in them.

I would go back but I would at least see what the Catalonia Royal next door cost. Probably too much but it is worth a look.

Cheryl

3  Thank Cheryl L
Reviewed March 1, 2013

We just got home yesterday from a week at this resort. No, it is NOT a 5-star, (nor does it pretend to be). It IS a very welcoming property, its staff is uniformly friendly, and seeking to be helpful. We do not speak Spanish, and noticed that much of the staff does NOT have a basic grasp of the English language. Nevertheless, we managed to communicate.
Noli-tour representatives were onsite for a good period of time every day, and were very helpful.
We experienced temperatures ranging from highs of 30 to 31 degrees Celsius, and overnight lows of maybe 22 degrees. An "onshore" breeze was almost constant, and for us, very pleasant.
The beach was well groomed, and the "beach-keepers" stayed busy trying to keep the beach clear of the seaweed which washes up from the weed beds just one hundred meters off shore. We spent more than several hours each day snorkelling, and found much of interest, both flora and fauna, more so once into the area of the breakers, about 800 meters offshore.
We also took advantage of the available Hobie-cat sailboats, which are available, free of charge, upon reservation, and we enjoyed it well enough to repeat the experience twice more.
Back to the resort; the accommodations are ample, but showing signs of ageing. The grounds are beautifully kept, the groundskeepers friendly. Water pressure, (even in our ground floor unit) was somewhat feeble, and out shower drain very slow.
The food was great, both taste, selection, and preparation, and the service superb. The bar service, likewise, was good. The " a la carte" restaurants were great too. We took part in one "organized" tour, to San Domingo, which was well organized, and well guided, we also did a "private" run into the town of Higuey, hiring a taxi to take us there, spend a few hours with us, and bring us back to the resort. We found this to be a highlight, our taxi driver, Russell, was GREAT.
We did NOT visit the onsite Casino, nor did we golf.
Value wise we felt that this resort is great, and is quite family friendly, .......... with the exception of topless bathers down at the beachfront.
Would we return here? Absolutely.

Reviewed March 1, 2013

After reading all those negative reviews, I was little concerned about this Resort, but I tell you as soon as we arrived at the hotel, it blew us off, starting from the check in at 3PM, very smooth, We had a regular room, but I asked for a non smoking room for my daughter, and the guy at the front desk canceled that room and gave me a privileged room without extra cost... nice clean room with towels with fresh flower.. the pools, bars, foods are fantastic.. all the ala carte restaurants are fabulous, specially the Japanese cuisine.. loved it, Mexican, Steak, Italian you namer it, they have it. The staffs are crazy good, this guy named Alvin Mercedes, such a nice guy.. he is like Dominican basketball player like 6'8".. so you cannot miss him. They had fantastic show every night, we loved it.. my daughter even participated in the Carnival that they had on 2/27 DR independence day in the hotel.. it was a blast for her... was a very satisfying family vacation for us-- we will definitely go there again...

Room Tip: - 2nd or 3rd floor is preferable for nice view.
9  Thank Faysal H
Reviewed March 1, 2013

After just returning yesterday, it is sad to have to review this beautiful resort. This is a very nice resort. We stayed at one of the Bahia mega resorts last year, and this was soo much better. There are always chairs to be found at beach, pool ( these do go quick, but we never went without a place to sit) the beach was really nice, no bugs, no garbage, just heaven. There is sooo much great food to choose from, after reading some reviews we were scared that the food was bad. I don't know what kind of food they are used to, it was great. The buffets had so much to choose from and the restaurants were really top notch. No reservations needed was a nice touch, we eat early and always got a seat. I am a big man, I love good food, I was not disappointed.
The drinks are always the way you want them, or just get another....
The staff really know how to look after you. They are all so pleasant, and tips do go a long way in keeping your drinks refreshed, and getting those personal touches.
The room was great, bed was comfortable, a/c worked fine. How long do you really stay in your room any way? Change clothes and sleep.
The grounds here are simply gorgeous. Well manicured and very lush.
The staff tried real hard at the shows and these were very enjoyable.
In all, this is really nice for the money, it is smaller than the mega resorts but, still has everything you want or need.
We would return.

Room Tip: We stayed by pool in building 20. No regrets. I don't think privileged is worth extra money unle...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank chris w
Reviewed March 1, 2013

The rating should be Good, very nice resort, water gardens are beautiful, restaurants nice look with food average to good, buffet average to good. Beach very nice white sand in areas a little corals but no problem at all for suimming freely just enough for good snorkling. Overall Good Vacation to be recommended.

Room Tip: Block 17 will be very close to front entrance so i would suggest get room in block 8 or so that woul...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Julie C
Reviewed March 1, 2013

We stayed here last week, I was a little scared about the reviews on the food. And for a good reason, it wasn't great. I'm a big chicken person so with that said, the chicken was great but repitition every day kind of sucks. The italian chicken was best meal of my stay (although not Italian at all, it was very good). My husband had issues eating and he can eat anything. The meat was just different in their country. We thought breakfast omlettes were the best meal. Although the grounds were beautiful!! The beach was amazing!! We did one tour, only VIP offers - the Cap Cana sailing. AMAZING way to spend half day- snorkeling in beautiful waters, great staff, booze and snacks. Would highly recommend. Shopping-if VIP offers this amazing shopping experience free, don't go. It's ONE shop with hotel prices and same items and takes a half of day. Friday nights was great prices and great negotiations from locals. But- if you walk to the right of the beach pass Catolinia Royal and walk up a little path you can find about 10 local vendors who we thought we cheaper- and yes! They have sunscreen if you run out! lobster dinner on beach was great, massage on beach was great, Maria at imperial bar was a blast! If they got better booze and food it - would be a five star, hands down

• Stayed: February 2013