This hotel offered everything that we needed to relax... room (1907, a priviledge room) was clean but kinda smelled a little bit humid, but to be expected as it is very close to the beach, AND it's an island. AC worked great, had wifi 90% of the time.. There was even a hammock on the balcony, which is very relaxing for an end-of-the-day read ;)
The buffet offers nice food, changes theme every night. Not saying it's a Michelin 5 star buffet, but honestly, have to be very very picky not to enjoy at least 50% of the menu. A la carte restaurants need no reservation, so that's nice! The two best ones would have to be the mexican and the japanese.. Oh, and the cappucinos and crepes at the Creperie are amazing! must go!!
Shows for entertainment are actually pretty great, too! Sometimes resorts cheap out on this but not the Catalonia! Hmmm, what else? Beach is clean and very pretty (although a bit windy, but what are you gonna do about that??!), entertainment offered by staff if you wanna join in (sports, salsa or bacciata lessons, etc), lotsa chairs but still need to go out early enough to get a good spot. Get towels early, too... they sometimes dont have any left if you go too late (i.e. go at 10ish) Pool bar is nice, Jisselle is very entertaining! The grounds are very well kept, the staff is friendly, alot of them speak english and french (surprising!), but it is nice to know a bit of spanish :)
Women; expect to be flirted with. But hey, that's in their nature! And yes, vendors tend to want to sell excursions and little shops and things, but hey, it is a poor country, we would probably be doing the same... A good way to get them to leave you alone is to say politely but firmly: thank you but we have already planned our excursions (or bought our souvenirs!)
Tipping: room service maids; we left a dollar every day on the pillow. Bar people: tip if the service is good, then they make your drinks stronger ;) Otherwise, when you think about it, for a whole week, we tipped for a total of maybe 20$, max 30$??? When you think about it, it's the price we pay for a T-shirt, so, they deserve it i think.
And voila! Had a really nice time, and like I said, if you're hesitating to pick a place, this one is definitely a good choice. Don't expect extreme luxury (this is not the Melia Tropical), but very very nice!
Stayed from jan 27th to feb. 4th. 2013.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- A magnificent hotel resort with exclusive, white sandy beaches, crystalline Caribbean waters, palm trees lining the coast and abundant vegetation throughout the complex. Coral reefs along the beach allow guests to enjoy the rich marine life of the Caribbean Sea. It is located in Playa Cabeza de Toro (Punta Cana), one of the best beach areas in the Dominican Republic. The complex is situated 20 km from the International Airport of Punta Cana and 47 km from Higuey. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, BookIt.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Travelocity, Hotwire, TripOnline SA and getaroom.com so you can book your Catalonia Bavaro Beach, Casino & Golf Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Catalonia Bavaro Beach Hotel
- Catalonia Punta Cana
- Catalonia Bavaro Beach Golf & Casino Resort
- Catalonia Bavaro Punta Cana
- Punta Cana Catalonia Bavaro
- Catalonia Bavaro Beach Resort
- Catalonia Bavaro Resort Punta Cana
- Catalonia Hotel Punta Cana
- Catalonia Resort Punta Cana
- Catalonia Bavaro Hotel