12,369 results
All reviews privileged section yuca hammock on the balcony rodeo steakhouse main buffet snack bar by the pool a la carte restaurants japanese restaurant royal side palm trees animation team dominican republic hot dogs grounds are beautiful junior suite nachos lot of seaweed
Reviewed January 30, 2013

i would like to say this Resort was great!!! the grounds were fantastic, food okay but overall the people and the music was awesome want to big up the dj Jaime Rodriguez ~ you were awesome i dance the night away he is a great DJ >>>looking forward to come back !!!! everybody was so kind and helpful ~

Date of stay: January 2013
  • Trip type: Traveled with friends
Reviewed January 29, 2013

The resort itself is very nice. Decent restaurants & bars, nice pool & beach. The rooms however are a joke! We paid the additional $20/night for the privilege upgrade & feel very much like we were completely ripped off. We were not provided with a lock & key for the outdated room safe. They kept insisting they would be able to provide us with one the next day. Why would you not have enough locks to go around? It took two trips to the front desk and one angry phone call to finally get a lock & key. After showering in the tiny outdated shower stall, I attempted to dry my hair with the complimentary hair dryer. It didn't work. I used my own hair dryer which tripped the breaker in the room. After several unsuccessful attempts to call the front desk, I walked to the front desk. They sent maintenance to the room to reset the breaker. I started my hair dryer again & had to reset the breaker ourselves. We called the front desk & they sent someone to our room who said that my hair dryer was too powerful so I would have to use the crappy little supplied dryer. I showed him that it doesn't work. He said, "Uno momento" and left. Thirty minutes or so later we called the front desk to ask when this man would be back & we were told they had no available hair dryers. Their solution to the problem was to use my dryer & just keep resetting the breaker switch! Privileged indeed! The pillows look & feel as though they are stuffed with balled up socks, the ceiling fan squeaks but you can't turn it off because the a/c is completely inadequate. Only one drawer on the bureau could be opened. All in all: ridiculous customer service. I would not recommend this resort to anyone ever! Do yourself a favour & avoid this place!

Date of stay: January 2013
Trip type: Traveled with family
3  Thank therhonda
Reviewed January 29, 2013

For me it Was a great experiencia we erre a parte of 8 and all of Us spend a great time in catalonia.

We made some excursiones to saona and buggyes and we had great time and a lot of fun.

Good Was good in all a la carte restauran and the buffet.

Special mention to the animation tema.

For me This hotel is hi recomended.

We' ll Go back.

Date of stay: November 2012
Reviewed January 28, 2013

I'm not one to normally complain and share my complaints but this place was a huge let down. My husband and I spent a week here in Decemeber and the dissappointment started from the minute we got to the resort.

We paid for Privilege but there was nothing privilege about what we got. We have been to resorts in the Dominican Republic and done privilege and the room and service we got here, was not privilege.

For starters.. we got in at about 3:30/3:45 and our room wasn't ready, even though with privilege theres early check in... that wasn't a big deal we had to wait about 20 minutes. It was after we got to the room when the dissappointment started, and that is the bulk of my complaint
Room:
1. We had no towels in our room at all, even though we had to wait for them to finish our room, it still wasn't done.
2. We didn't have beach towels in our room which is one of the things that is suppose to be included in your "privilege" room.
These were just inconveniences, but what really bothered me was that the room was that it STILL not clean and it was really old and dingy.
The website says that their rooms were recently renovated, well by that they mean that they added caulking around the sink and the tub. But after waiting for our room, the bathtub was still dirty, there was hair in the tub, which means that it wasn't cleaned and when I called, the lady can and ran the shower head over the tub to just rinse the hair out of the tub... I could have done that, but that still doesn't mean it's clean. And then the mirrors weren't wiped... they had finger prints all over there. A little mess doesn't normally bother me if I was the one that made the mess and it just wasn't cleaned, but when I have to see some one else's hair and prints all over a bathroom that I have to use for a week, it just doesn't sit well with me.
Then, we were on the first floor (building 4, room 405) and our bed was directly in front of the sliding glass doors (doors that were also covered in hand prints & really dirty and that weren't wiped down before we came in) The problem here was that the patio had no sort of wall and it faced the pool and you could see from the bed out so you always had to have the blinds closed because if you had them open, people walking down the path that was right outside our doors could see right in. They should have placed the furniture differently.
Then, the shower- the shower is in the same room as the toilet, which is whatever, it is what it is. But, the shower room is really small and you have very little room to move around once your in, making showering a tad difficult. and the other thing is that there was only 1 small light in the shower/toilet room, and it was above the toilet, so the shower was really dark, and if the door opened (it didn't always stay shut) you would be in the dark.
Then, they claim that they have nightly turn down service in privilege rooms, they didn't. It was only turned down 2 nights out of 7... I don't know what the deal was there, I didn't care about that, but don't say its included if its not.
Also, we rarely had wifi service, in our room or in the lobby. It was hit or miss, but very rarely in the room, which they claim they have.

Restaurants/food
There was nothing privilege about this either. They say that you have privilege seating. You really don't. You have to wait in line like everyone else and some times you were waiting for a while before someone noticed you. Also- (and I looked for this before I booked and couldn't find it anywhere) You only have 5 dinners at the restaurants for the duration of your stay. They give you a little coupon booklet and you bring it with you and they punch a hole once you went to the restaurant. There are 4-
The American- food was ok, service crappy- I didn't like it but my husband did.
Mexican- good food
Japanese- also good food, but if you do the habachi table, its all one menu, you can't order anythng, everyone gets the same thing. It was only open every other day tho (it felt like it was closed a lot)
Italian- this place also had really good food. We used our extra coupon here. Great food and service and it was always open
Then there was the buffet where we ate dinner twice. Both times food was ok. I liked that they had this huge area in the middle where they made fresh food in front of you- fish, pasta, tacos, etc. The lunch buffet was the same pretty much every day. We often ate at the one that was closer to the pool instead of the main buffet, because it was closer and had pretty much the same type, just a smaller selection then the main one. (Warning, this place is huge, you WILL be doing a lot of walking)
The pizza place- ummm I think that's what that was by the towel shack- food there was gross. It was always open (I think they might be open all night) but it was always the same food and it felt like if there was some left over from yesterday, they just put it out again the next day so a lot of the times it was dry and just icky looking.
The crepe place was really good and we spent most nights in lobby at the main bar. I must not that we don't drink alcohol so I cannot comment on the alcohol selection- it seemed like they had a lot of stuff and their virgin strawberry daiquiri's were good in the lobby as they used blended lemonade ice instead of just lemonade juice and grenadine which is how the bartender did it on the beach.

Other then that, the resort is kinda pretty and there is shade everywhere. There are palm trees everywhere, often at the beach we would find ourselves constantly shifting our chairs because they were blocked with shade by the palm trees. I should also note that there were quite a few topless women at the beach, all the time and it seemed to be the norm (thought I would mention this if you were considering going with kids). You will do a lot of walking as everything is really spread apart. The beach was really clean (there were guys out there cleaning everyday) and there was always chairs available no matter what time of day we went.

Thats about it. Once I got over my dissappointment about the dingyness of our room (I called to complain about it at least 3 times and I even went back to the privilege office right after we checked in, and they didn't really do anything about it) I ended up enjoying myself and we had an overall good time.

Overall, I wouldn't recommend this hotel to my family or friends and I definitely wouldn't recommend privilege.

Date of stay: December 2012
  • Trip type: Traveled as a couple
1  Thank ClaudiaM767
Reviewed January 27, 2013

First of all we went as privilege travellers . room was dirty and we could not turn around in the shower so we washed using the hand held shower in the tub . food was disgusting and tasteless in the buffet restaurants. they could not even prepare an omelet properly. A la carte restos were pretty good though. After 10 pm the only food you could get was at poolside but they served the same junk every night, hot dogs, hamburgers , pizza or fried chicken or you can order room service which takes forever to get. Service in the buffet restos was absolutely horrible and most of the serving staff were rude, I even got one of them fired when she called me "crazy" because I complained about how many time she forgot to bring cream for my coffee until I went to get it myself . The eating are was full of bird doodoo and so were the tables and chairs, see photos and yep, sometimes in the food because the birds would just fly around anywhere. no protection. The nightly entertainment was very good though.

Room tip: don't go there!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Date of stay: December 2012