“Ok in most respects” 3 of 5 bubbles

GreenLeadersPlatinum level
London, United Kingdom
“Ok in most respects”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 20, 2012

We are just back from our first (and last) trip to Punta Cana where we stayed at the Catalonia. For the price we paid for the holiday, we were extremely disappointed as we have stayed at far better hotels/resorts in other countries for far less money.

Firstly, this hotel is very clean, our room was very clean and the resort very clean generally. I have always been of the opinion that 80% of tummy troubles at all inclusive hotels are caused by guests' poor hygiene and think the requirement for everyone to use anti bacterial hand wash before entering the buffets was brilliant. I believe this is a requirement at all hotels in Punta Cana but I have never seen it any where else in my travels. The staff also we found pleasant and helpful all over the resort.

Our room was fine, it was kept very clean. We had a king size bed (not two pushed together) and it was very comfortable however the pillows were horrific, small square things with a loose filling of torn up foam. Our 'fridge was pretty well stocked, our maid asking us what kind of drinks we wanted and supplying them. Our only bug bear with the rooms was the poor supply of towels. We had a bath mat supplied on two days only in our two weeks and often didnt get any hand towels. Our maid quickly cottoned on to our routine of coming back to the room around 4ish when we liked to shower and chill out for a bit before dinner and made sure we had clean towels for when we got back, before that towels were not appearing until 5 or 6pm after being removed early in the morning.

The grounds are beautiful, in fact the only redeeming feature of this hotel and are well above a 3 star rating which I have given but I just cant justify a higher rating for the hotel overall. The bar and lobby areas are too small to accommodate the number of guests, the theater is right next to the main bar and the noise is horrendous if you are not interested in the shows. We spent most of our evenings in the small bar next to the Japanese restaurant so we could hear ourselves talk. The cocktails and non alcoholic drinks are ok but way too sweet for my taste.

The food at the main buffet again is ok but nothing to write home about. As I said, our first time in Punta Cana so cant compare it to other resorts there but it was not as good as any of the other all inclusive hotels we have stayed at around the world. We visited the pool buffet for breakfast once but there was far less variety than the main restaurant so we didn't bother with it again. We visited the Italian restaurant which was fine and we had a great meal at the Western restaurant. We also visited the Mexican restaurant which was dreadful. Two of our party ordered the same starter and only one arrived, by the time they had managed to produce the second order, the main course was arriving and again two people had ordered the same so only one arrived. I had ordered beef fajitas and was presented with some tiny tortillas about 4ins across, a pile of extremely tough beef strips with a couple of strips of capsicum and absolutely no flavour, a watery substance that called itself refried beans and a small mound of rice. My husbands main course was stone cold. We didnt visit the Japanese which has good reviews as none of our party likes Japanese food. There is quite a bit of recycling going on in the main buffet and the food was usually luke warm at best.

The pool area was ok although there is a distinct lack of public toilets in this area and people were sat around that pool bar without moving all day - don't think we need to say anymore on that subject.

The beach area is beautiful right in front of the hotel, the beach and the sea are kept clear of the sea grass. One of our reasons for choosing this hotel which is away from the main strip of resorts was the prospect of some nice walks along the beach but as soon as we took one step of the area directly in front of the beach we were met with the filthiest beach we have every seen in our lives. There are mounds of rotting sea grass, which yes we are aware is just nature however its the favourite breeding ground for sand flies, or noseeums as they are aptly called, which then bear down on the guests at the hotel for their very own all inclusive lunch. My daughter and myself were very badly bitten, these bites are far are worse than mosquito bites and carry some pretty nasty diseases. As well as the sea grass, we encountered broken glass (be sure to wear shoes), rusty torn open tin cans, plastic bottles and bags, broken plastic tables, old shoes, well you name it, you will find it.

If you want a sun lounger with a shade, you need to be up at the crack of dawn. This hotel is the worst I have come across for lounger reserving. People are not content with saving themselves a lounger in the shade by the pool, they also want one in the sun by the pool and one on the beach just in case they fancy the odd hour or two down there. This is something the hotel really needs to get a grip on. I have never been to an all inclusive resort before that did not stack up sun beds when the pool was closed and put them out in the morning when it opened again, something that has a huge impact on lounger hogs but apart from signs saying the practice was not allowed, nothing was done about it. Getting a clean pool towel was quite a mission too and those that were available were mostly nothing but rags.

We would certainly not stay at this hotel again, or probably any others in the chain but we would also probably not visit Punta Cana again as we can get much better value for our money elsewhere.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
4 Thank dragonfli

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (893)
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Aurora
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 17, 2012

We recently returned from a weeks stay at the Catalonia Bavaro in Punta Cana (Dec. 30/11-Jan. 6/12). I scored this resort a 4/5 only because 3.5 is not an available scoring option. IIn my opinion, this resort is closer to a 3.5 than a 4 star.

We travelled with Nolitours and Air Transat. The perk with Nolitours is that the take care of all the airport taxes in and out of the Dominican. One less expense and worry for me! Overall the flight there was pleasant and uneventful….just the way I like it.

Our check in at the hotel was quick and I was happy to see that the hotel honored all of our requests for accommodations (centrally located villa, upper floor, two rooms side by side and near friends that were to be arriving the next day). This is our fourth family vacation. Once to Cuba and 3 times to the Dominican and for the first time, the safe in the room was free of charge. We have always had to pay for the use of the safe in our room (around $10 / day), so this was a welcome surprise  After reading the reviews, I was a bit concerned about the smoking. In the end it really wasn’t a problem, unless you were hanging around the bar in the evening.

Grounds: This hotel is large. The grounds are beautiful and impeccably maintained. Workers are always out snipping and clipping old school……..no power tools. Free Wifi in the lobby which was slow as expected, but it did work, making my 15 year old very happy.

Front desk: They were very helpful when it came to noting your complaint, but acting on it was a different story. If you were persistent (and I was), you could make things happen. We had a nasty bug problem in our kids’ room, which was handled within a few hours. We did have to speak to 4 different people prior, but I learned that if you go directly to the manager, things happen quite quickly. Smaller requests such as, towels or help with the safe (which stopped working only once) were handled very quickly and with one phone call.

Rooms: We stayed in Villa 24, top floor, a very centrally located and quiet location (facing away from the pool). The rooms are spacious and clean. We had a king sized bed (one king mattress, not two twins pushed together, as other reviewers had reported). The beds in both rooms were horrible and the pillows even worst (very lumpy). Showers are very small and dark, but the separate tub was huge. Overall, the rooms were a bit tired looking. They could use a bit of TLC, as there were some loose tiles on the floor and the shower could have used an overhaul (some mold and cracks). The hammock on the balcony was a nice touch. The rooms were cleaned daily and the maids were happy to supply any “extra towels or supplies” that you may require. Fridge was restocked daily with water, beer and pop. The one big frustration is that the fresh towels were delivered quite late in the day, which meant we sometimes had to wait to take our showers before going to dinner. Not a big deal, I guess. The water pressure was a hit and miss. We tipped the maid a buck or two each day (per room) and she seemed happy with that.

Food: This is our 3rd time travelling to the Dominican. The food at this resort is not the best I have had in our travels. I am a picky eater, but I did manage to find something to eat at every meal. There are two buffet restaurants (one by the beach and pool and the other in the lobby). I found the food at the main buffet in the main lobby to have a better selection, but beware of dirty plates. My husband and I had to go through a few in the pile before we found ones with not food or grease smudges. Of the four a la carte restaurants, we went to only three. The Japanese, The Steakhouse and the Italian. The Japanese was very good and they did the cooking at the table….a nice touch. The steakhouse was not great and don’t order the crab cakes unless you want orange jello! The Italian was nothing to write home about either. They do not take reservations, so go at 6:30 when they open.
The pizza by the pool is awesome and in great demand. Be prepared to stand in line for the pizza, it’s worth the wait.
The New Years Gala in the main buffet was very nice. There was a lot of selection and lots of seafood if you enjoy that.
The highlight for us, as far as food goes were the crepes! Don’t forget to try the crepes! The crepery is located where the shops are (near the lobby) and open from 4-11 everyday. Get the chocolate……have two! Say hello to Corina, as she is always smiling and friendly.

Beach: Beautiful and very long. Lots of seaweed, but the hotel staff was out ALL day going up and down the shoreline raking it up. Can’t beat mother nature! The beach had beautiful white sand and many palm trees offering lots of shade if you want that. Be down early if you want a chair, especially one under a palapa. There is a beach bar located near the volleyball nets. The water was fairly calm for the most part. My husband snorkeled just off the beach and fed banana to the fish. They ate right out of his hand. Very cool!

Bugs: The bugs weren’t bad at all (mosquitoes and noseums). I came back with only one bite and my husband and kids had only a few. I think most were from the sand flees on the beach. A bit of bug repellent and all was good.

Pool: Very large and picturesque. Be there early to find a chair and/or a palapa. The towel hut is by the pool. They were often out of towels which became frustrating and a bit of a challenge when you needed a fresh one. The hotel definitely needs to invest in more towels. The pool area was very loud and busy. Lots going on…..water polo, aerobics, dance lessons, etc.

Entertainment/Animation team: The nightly entertainment was not very good. It reminded me of a bad high school production. Having said that, we did not watch most shows, but we did stay for the Michael Jackson show which was very entertaining. The Animation team was always out and about. However, they did direct most of their attention to the French speaking guests. If you were English speaking, you had to find them because they were not looking for you! There was always something going on should you choose to get involved (Archery, soccer, volleyball, yoga, etc.).

Gym: The gym is air conditioned but small, with minimal equipment, but enough to do a complete workout. It consists of some free weights, a pull down machine, benches and some cardio machines.

My huge complaint has nothing to do with the hotel itself, but rather the tourists. For goodness sake people! Spending the money to go on vacation does NOT entitle you to act and do as you please with no regard for others! I was shocked at the behavior and belligerence of some. Clipping toenails on the beach…eeewww, snuffing out your cigarettes/cigars in the sand, or tossing them on the walkways, budding into the food lines, taking the WHOLE tray of pizza despite of the line of people behind you and just generally being rude, demanding and obnoxious to staff and other guests. Really?!!?

Overall, our trip was okay, although not the best I’ve had in the Dominican. The grounds are beautiful, however, they do need to make some adjustments to better accommodate the large number of guests (especially in high season). They seemed to have difficulty keeping up with the number of people.

Feel free to contact me with any questions. I would be happy to help if I can.

VK

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
13 Thank MiaAurora
Rochester, New York, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 16, 2012

just saw review below me, was at catolonia same time.even stayed in room 527,had 10 in our group, 12 times to punta cana, always different resort. never had a bad time. went 2 days with no hot water, found out you turn handle to the right, no problem. went to japanesse resturant and steak house as well as buffet, had good food everywhere. dont expect nyc or toronto standards, not a fair comparison. your on vacation, loosen up a little. credit to leo at front desk, alba and maria in lobby bar, and the lady at the beach rest who is the hostess, all really stood out for service. only real problem was at the casino, they had terrible attitudes, ask to get free ride to tower casino, much better time. cant get people that cant just dig the people they are with and make your own good time

Room Tip: 500 block is close to everything
10 Thank John S
Barrie, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 16, 2012

This is a wonderful resort and I would go back in a heartbeat!

I travel a fair bit, and this was my 23rd all inclusive vacation. All I want is a clean room (it doesn't matter if it's in need of renovation,) sun, sand, yummy food and drinks and friendly people.

I've been to Punta Cana about 12 times now, and I can tell you that the food here was fantastic and in my top 3. Honestly, anyone who says they couldn't find anything to eat here should just stay home and eat pizza and wings!

It's probably time for the rooms to be renovated, but they were clean. That's all that matters.

The beach was gorgeous ..... :-)

The people were fantastic! All anyone can ask for is to be treated with respect. That's all the Dominican people want too.

Tipping is always appreciated. I always bring $50.00 in $1.00 U.S. bills and $30.00 - $50.00 in U.S. $5.00 bill. I tip the maid $2.00 every day, the server at every meal $1.00 and the bartenders $1.00 every 2 or 3 drinks. In addition, I leave the maid $20.00 when I leave and the special servers/people who have gone a little out of their way to make your trip great, $10.00 - $20.00.

I would definately recommend booking the "priviledge" package. The hotel blocks by the beach are reserved for "priviledge" guests. You also get a seperate check in/out counter, access to computers, unlimited "a la carte" dining, beach towels in your room, etc! I wish they had this option everywhere! :-)

There weren't a lot of 20 something people there.... mostly 30 something and up and some families.

All in all, it was a wonderfull place to stay!

Room Tip: Blocks 1 and 3 are where we stayed (4 girls on a "girls week!).... close to the beach, pool and...
1 Thank TravellingKiki
Toronto, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 15, 2012

I was like a lot of people and thought the people who wrote the bad reviews were picky but after my first day there I realized how bad this place really was. We spend a thousand dollars each and for $90 dollars more we could have booked the Gran Bahia and I am still kicking myself for not doing so. The Catalonia is more of a 2 star hotel. We had to switch rooms several times because there was no hot water, bugs in the room, lights didn't work and no water pressure. Each room had a different problem. Several other guests we talked to said they had the same issues but so many people don't complain! We would have to call front desk several times and wait hours to get a response about anything. The whole resort is for smokers and they lied to us and told us our room was non smoking but every morning I would wake up coughing because smoke was coming through the vent from the room next door. Two times the electricity went out and we were told it was common because they have a problem with the generator. The bed was two twin wire mattresses shoved together and a lumpy pillow. Nolitours did nothing for us because they said it was high season and all the other hotels were full so they could not switch us to another hotel. Do not use Nolitours who advertise this hotel as a 4.5 star when it is not even close. They add a star just for the casino I was told which is very tiny. The hotel is full of europeans who are very rude.

There are stray dogs and cats rooming around the resort which I have never seen anywhere! The food is terrible. I just got back and still have an upset stomach. The food that they bring out from the kitchen is stone cold and everyday it is the same. They put beef or ham in everything. Staff doesn't care about cleanliness at all. My friend is a vegetarian and they put ham in her pasta sauce and when she said no ham they poured the cooked sauce back in the container that they will use for everyone later!!! I am so shocked how dirty everything is there.

This resort also has a bad location. No one tells you it is on the other side of the island away from other resorts. So you are at a narrow beach with sea weed all over the beach, overlooking the Altantic ocean not the caribean sea! I took a taxi to the beach at Iberostar and Bahia, and it is totally beautiful with white sand, clear turquoise water and no seaweed. I am very upset I wasted my $ at this resort and would not go back for free. Do not read the bad reviews lightly cause they are 100% correct. I have no idea why anyone says anything positive about this place, perhaps they don't know what good resorts are really out there for a similar price!

Room Tip: we were in 2324-bugs and no hot water. 2912 had no water pressure and air conditioning was broken. r...
7 Thank anita w
London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 14, 2012

we just got back from punta cana .this was our 2nd time at the catalonia bavaro ,and looking forward to the 3rd time .we stayed at villa 21 ,we loved it its close to the beach ,to the main pool,and a short walk to everything else .the resort is beautiful ,the food is great ,the grounds are gourgeous.we highly recommend this resort to anyone.we went to relax and have a good time ,and thats exactly what we got ,and more .because it was our 2nd time there, we were recognized by some of the staff, and we were treated like royalty .thanks to .eduardo ,humberto .rafael .mickey mouse ,ricardo .and many many more .a special thanks to francisco parades (para hefe paredes mil mil gracias por su carino`y atencion.hamas lo vamos olvidar).the food was awesome at the a la cartes ,specially at the mexicanand the rodeo steakhouse where we had the best steak ever .if you are thinking about going to this resort ,you wont be disappointed.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
8 Thank londonbenfiquista
Toronto On
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 14, 2012

Visited between Jan 6 - Jan 13th. This was our 4th visit to this resort. So obviously one of our favourites. My wife and I try to go south, door to door for $2,000. cdn. We paid $2100. all in this time around. So I don't expect to be waited on hand and foot, and eat in 5 star restaurants for that kind of money. We do expect a clean room, an assortment of good food & booze, and pleasant, helpful staff. The Catalonia has never failed us in those areas.
The beach is terrific, a large white sand beach, with plenty of loungers, and huts for cover, if you need it. Few rocks and weeds in the water. We like to go to the beach in the morning, and after lunch, follow the sun over to the pool. Specifically the swim up bar area, which feels like you're 5 miles from the sun between 3 - 5pm. Once the sun goes behind the trees at 5, everyone scurries up to their rooms. I know the swim up bar at most resorts is the place to be, if you want to meet new people, but the interaction at this place is quite astonishing. Even quiet, anti-social jerks like me, seem to make new friends there quite easily.
The food is very good, usual stuff at the buffet, none of the essentials missing, but not too much extra either. The A la Carte restaurants don't require reservations, which was a first for us. I expected massive waiting lines, but we got in to a couple very easily. We really enjoyed the Japanese, the Italian was good too. Didn't go to the others. For lunch I recommend the Pizza place and roasted chicken area (near the kids pool)
For the drinkers, "Presidente" is a quality lager, which I necked all day long. Not, much in the way of name brand international booze.
Apparently, the disco is good, and very busy, but I could never quite hang in there till 11. The lobby bar is great, with few bars open to drink at, everyone goes there after dinner for a couple.
The staff are fantastic, prompt, courteous service. Always with a smile on their face. My two co faves were Alba (swim up bar & lobby bar) and Ricardo (swim up bar & seemingly everywhere else)
Great place, good time, give it a try.

Room Tip: I guess most would like to be in the middle of the beach, and lobby areas. In which case, blocks 6,7...
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
VIK Hotel Cayena Beach
#80 of 110 in Punta Cana
Grand Bahia Principe La Romana
Grand Palladium Palace Resort Spa & Casino

Been to Catalonia Bavaro Beach, Casino & Golf Resort? Share your experiences!