“Reef Explorer not worth the money, staff indifferent”

Marinarium Excursions - Reef Explorer
Book In Advance
More Info
$106.00*
and up
Marinarium Shark and Ray Experience
Ranked #50 of 250 Tours in Punta Cana
More attraction details
Owner description: Enjoy a half day multi-activity experience at the Reef Explorer. Take this unique excursion where you will relax on a floating island and discover marine life at the best place in Punta Cana. Have a great snorkeling tour on the reef or spend all the time you want admiring the behavior of our sharks. Feel like a marine biologist for half a day! If you want even more adrenaline, get a close encounte...r with our friendly stingrays and give them a kiss. Take a kayak and hunt the reef waves, then sunbathe on our floating mats or get a relaxing massage. A health bar with fruit juices will refresh your thirst and do not forget our vegetables with dips! Go the speed you want and take the activity you enjoy the most in this unforgettable all inclusive experience at the Reef Explorer. A comfortable bus with A/C is waiting for you now.
Reviewed February 14, 2013

We booked this excursion through our Tour Company and were very excited to go on it. Neither my sister or I had ever been snorkeling before! First, we sat in semi shade for about 30 minutes while 3 other boats loaded and took off and we were the smallest tour. Then, we get to the 'island' and they made announcements for the morning we were to spend there. We decided to do the first snorkeling trip, but by the time we got to that dock with our floatation thing and goggles on, the instructor was off a bit far away with half the people. That left us beginners looking at each other for help. Once we did get into the water, it was cloudy and murky and you couldnt really see anything especially with the flotation thing on. Snacks provided were fine but the wind was so fierce, you could barely keep the food on the plate. Perhaps wind shields like at the massage huts would be a good idea. The best and only worthy part was the massage. The girl I had was great, took a bit more time than usual. Scalp massage was wonderful and then she combed and braided my hair. We also did the canoeing but again, no one giving us tips or instruction. Save your money and do something else. Definitely not worth the amount nor the time.

1  Thank NDMorrison06
Marinarium, Guest Relations Manager at Marinarium Excursions - Reef Explorer, responded to this reviewResponded March 5, 2013

Thank you for your visit at The Reef Explorer!

As you know since there are clients from different hotels and transportations coming to our excursions, it would be normal to have a maximum waiting time of 30 minutes, until everyone joins us at the meeting point. We have fully shaded areas, and bali beds as well for the people that want to catch some rays.

Once you get on our platform, the guide announces that there will be 2 snorkeling tours, one that starts momentarily and once in the next 2 hours. Usually they make 2 announcements so everyone joins the guide at the meeting point and they all leave together, usually if people stay behind, because they either didn’t have enough time to put on their gears, or were in the bathroom, as previously mentioned we always have a 2nd snorkeling tour that goes on.

The flotation device is for your own security and is mandatory by marine law. As for the canoeing we always have 1 guide on board who makes sure everyone is safe, and he gives the tour in the ocean. Since canoeing doesn’t take much experience, we explain the basics.

We are really proud that you enjoyed the massage time.

Thank you once again!

Write a ReviewReviews (1,735)
All reviews
in 15 reviews
"underwater camera"
in 24 reviews

Reviewed February 2, 2013

Enjoyed our reef experienced greatly. This was a nice excursion because there was different activities that you could more from at your own pace. We started with a snorkeling tour of the reef with our guide Jason Samuel. He took us around the enclosure over the reef areas, seeing a diverse variety of sea life. We cut the tour a little short because of a 4 foot long barracuda we encountered (what an awesome sight). With safety first, Jason got us inside the safety of the pen and we were able to view this barracuda for a few more minutes more. That was OK as the pen we were in had a juvenile sting ray which we able to hold. Being able to see sharks, sting rays and a large barracuda was a great experience. Getting a smoothy from our sweet little Kairy, and the relaxing pace was just what we were looking for. Muchas gracias Jason Samuel

Reviewed February 1, 2013

First off, special thanks to Dary M. He was very understanding and patient with me, as I was terrified to get into the water. He helped me to become comfortable and stayed with me until I was ready go on my own. This was a fabulous experience, no regrets! Still scared..lol...words can't describe the feeling of seeing a bunch of sharks and stingrays swimming around you.
I did a lot of internet search about "shark excursions" and Reef Explorer was the best choice, and would recommend over and over again. Just too short, 4 hours goes way too quick. I was so amazed by the shark and stingray experience, I didn't have enough time to partake in the other activities. I did get a massage though...unfortunately due the language barrier..my masseuse beat me up. lol..I commented on her strong hands...and she got stronger!! So not the most relaxing massage, oh well. Better than an shark bite!! All kidding aside it was worth every penny. Thank you Reef Explorer for being part of my 50th Birthday and checking off another bucket list item.

Reviewed January 30, 2013

In December I was with One of my sons in Punta Cana. If you ever get there , then please be sure to do the Reef explorer tour. You get to snorkel with stingrays and nursesharks. The people are very friendly , I would like to send my regards to the Nice girlguide and to Joel. I can also recommend the nice massage , kayak , and dive with an little motor to cruise the reef. The water is very clear and you Will see a lot of fish. All this and drinks , mama juana is included in the price. TWO BIG THUMBS UP