“Awesome fun!!! We had a blast!!!”

Coast Riders Surf Shop & Surf Lessons
Ranked #2 of 33 Shopping in Punta Cana
More attraction details
Owner description: CoastRiders Surf, SUP School / Shop, caters to those who want to enjoy fun water activities and sports in Punta Cana. We specialize in paddle-boarding and surfing. Our Surf lessons take place on the spectacular Macao Beach and our Paddle-boarding lessons and outings take place in the serene waters of Bavaro Beach. On whatever activity you decide to join us, we will provide a fun-filled experience that the entire family will enjoy!! Our lessons are carried out in small groups with one-on-one instruction for surfing, and groups not larger than 6 for paddleboarding. The CoastRiders Shop is located on Bavaro Beach by the IFA resort. We carry boardshorts and bikinis, sandals, beachwear and the best variety of articles for the active and carefree lifestyle of the Dominican coast!... Come by and ride with us!!
Useful Information: Activities for older children
East Hampton, New York, United States
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Awesome fun!!! We had a blast!!!”
Reviewed March 5, 2013

My family and I just returned from a family trip to Punta Cana... We had talked about an excursion to take surfing lessons and made an inquiry at our resort. We made the reservations and were picked up on Wednesday morning and were met by Jimmy, for the 20 minute ride to Macao beach.... Jimmy was great, he explained what we were going to do, what to expect and some funny insights along the way.
When we arrived at the beach we were met by Carlos and the 'crew' who would be in the water helping us out. After a quick instruction on the beach, we set off into the water.
My two boys, ages 6 and 9, were given a little extra instruction by Carlos, then they went into the water. Carlos actually went in and worked with our 6 year old!! Both boys were up and riding after the first wave.... They had a blast and have not stopped talking about it....
The rest of us in the 'class' (there were only 4 of us) were out a little further and each of us had a someone helping us... We all had a great time... Carlos, Jimmy and the crew were so much fun and enthusiastic...
Thanks again, guys... See you next year!!!!

Stockholm, Sweden
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 18 helpful votes
“Fun experience, great crew”
Reviewed February 28, 2013

My boyfriend figured he would try surfing while in the Dominican Republic, stumbled across CoastRiders and booked a lesson with them on our second day. We met up with Giovanni who took us to gorgeous Macao beach (which our tour guide said was closed) for a three hour session. This might actually be the best office in the world - definitively worth going even if you don't want to surf! Just make sure to bring tons of sunscreen and a large hat to cover up. The sun is very strong. Giovanni gave a quick lesson on dry land and then it was all about practice with a small break in between. Both water and weather conditions were great. During the session he took pictures to help you see what you were doing right/wrong on the board. Afterwards we went to the shop to fill up on sun screen and trunks and booked another lesson as I wanted to give surfing a try to (they bring onlookers along for an additional cost). This time around, there were more people so the guys showed up with an open bus which was very fun to ride. We also got to meet Carlos and Jimmy, Carlos being one of the owners of the shop. Again they took us to Macao beach for a lesson, this time though waves were pretty high even at the calmer side of the beach. The crew however makes you feel very calm and secure as there is somebody assisting you in the water the entire time. Again, they gave a short lesson on the beach and then into the water. There is no pushing the students, so if you want to get out of the water at any time that is perfectly fine. At one point we had to take a longer break because of another surfing school with ca 40 students, just became too crowded in the water. We liked the fact that there were only nine of us, nobody getting in each others way and teachers taking on a more individual approach. They are all very friendly, very helpful and very encouraging. Not to mention funny and surf addicted.

A huge thank you to the whole crew, it was a very fun experience! And if Jimmy is reading this, we went to that seafood restaurant you recommended - thanks for the tip, best food during the entire stay, hands down!

Medford, Massachusetts, United States
“Surfing in Punta Cana”
Reviewed February 25, 2013

My girlfriend and I were in Punta Cana for vacation. We inquired about the surf lessons at the aquatic center and were informed about Coast Riders Surf School. After coordinating a time and date, we arrived at the aquatic center. Jimmy picked us up at the aquatic center and drove us about 15 miles to Macao Beach, which is the last wild beach in Punta Cana. After a quick review of surfing basics, we went out in the ocean for private lessons. The whole experience was wonderful. It was essentially a PRIVATE lesson for us.

A Must if you are visiting Punta Cana.

Ontario, Canada
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“Essentially a private lesson for your family!”
Reviewed February 15, 2013

We were in Punta Cana at Christmas 2012. My family really wanted to learn how to surf. I used TripAdvisor to look at my options. I'm sure there are a number of good companies to use...and I think they all use the same stretch of Macao Beach (which is really nice by the way)...but let me tell you about Coast Riders. We didn't get to their store...but we hired them to give us a private lesson for my family (kids aged 11, 14, 15). They did an amazing job. First of all, Carlos/Charlie is from Spain and speaks perfect English. It is easy to plan in advance via email as correspondence is professional and it gives you confidence that your booking is well organized. They pick you up right at your hotel (we were at the Bahia Principe) and it is a quick ride to the beach. All the equipment is waiting for you there, as are helpers (so every surfer has someone helping them). They taught us on the beach first...and then out we went. Very good lessons and equipment. First I thought it was a bit expensive ($70 per person) BUT after doing it, I think it is fair. Hey, they've got to make a few bucks, eh? But they pick you up, take you there, you get a detailed lesson, we surfed for a few hours (with a much needed break mid-way)...spent some time on the beach...had a great time...and they take you right back to your hotel. I strongly recommend using them if you want a private type experience vs a larger group. They have good learner boards too (a bit softer) and lend you surf shirts etc. Really good overall: This is a GO.

Visited December 2012
1 Thank BigBobHurock
Kampala, Uganda
“Thank you Coast Riders!”
Reviewed February 5, 2013

We had an amazing day learning to surf with Coast Riders. The team was super friendly and fun and made sure that we all got up on the boards. Carlos and Jimmy picked us up at our hotel and drove us about 25 mins to Macao Beach, which we soon found out is the last wild beach in Punta Cana.

Macao Beach is stunningly beautiful, with sparkling turquoise water and powdery soft sand. Carlos explained to us that it is the perfect place to learn surfing because there are no rocks or reefs to worry about in the water. At one end of the beach the waves were about 3 m high, but towards the other end they get smaller. Perfect for beginners!

After a quick lesson we hopped in the water. Each surfer has an instructor of sorts who essentially pushes you into the waves. This way you can focus on getting your balance and standing up because you don't have to time the waves and paddle. The atmosphere was really laid back and fun, with lots of cheering everytime someone stood up on their board.

After a couple of hours of surfing, we went and had a beer with Jimmy at a beachside bar/bbq hut, where Jimmy imparted a hugely important piece of information. When asking for a cold beer in the Dominican, you need to tell them you want it "vestido de novia" which means dressed like a bride. A cold beer always wear a nice white layer of frost! Don't mistakenly ask for one "vestido de noviO", that means dressed like a groom, and I'm not sure what you'll get.

Surfing was a total adrenaline rush! My husband and I absolutely can't wait to do it again. Coast Riders gave us the perfect introduction. If we're ever in Dominican again we will definitely go back and take another lesson. My only complaint is that we got so caught up surfing that we didn't get any pictures of us in the water! Something to remember for your visit...