“Poor planning and limited advice for someone who's not a complete beginner .”

Punta Cana Surf Adventure
Book In Advance
More Info
$74.00*
and up
Macao Beach Surf Lessons
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Punta Cana Surf Adventure is a friendly and laid back Surf School on Macao Beach. We provide Surf Lessons in 1, 3 or 5 days formats. Also, surfboard and SUP rentals. We are located right on the spectacular Macao Beach, where you will find an incredible surf spot on a pristine and undeveloped beach, where local surfers and tourists enjoy the unbelievable conditions available most of the year. Macao Beach offers something for all levels of surfing. Surf Lessons are carried out in small groups with one-on-one instruction in the water. Rashguard for use during the lessons, refreshments like fresh fruit and coconut water. Transportation to and from the beach is included in the price. Private lessons, intermediate level lessons and full day packages also available. Yes, you can learn to surf in Punta Cana!!
Useful Information: Bathroom facilities, Food available for purchase, Lockers / storage, Activities for young children, Activities for older children
Reviewed December 22, 2011

My day was wasted along with the 80$ they charged. Ive taken surfing lessons before and this one was subpar. They had me on the same board as a 60 pound girl. I weigh 210 pounds. Therefore it was not sized properly and I had a hard time getting up. 2 other guys my siZe were there too and neither of them got up. The 2 young girls did. Inexcusable that they would have all of us on the same boards. Instruction was very limited. The guy was nice, but I strongly would warn against going with them unless you are below 160 lbs and a complete beginner. That being said the waves were awesome, big, and beach was beautiful

Charliefresh, Director of Sales at Punta Cana Surf Adventure, responded to this reviewResponded February 11, 2012

I know Danilo the instructor and owner for a long time, he has surfed every where in the globe and his love and his passion for Surfing would never let anybody down when he is giving his Surf lessons to beginners or intermediate surfers, Macao Beach is a very special Beach and has his positive and negative sides which are few, because of the sandy bottom it is excellent for learning, the waves brake right at shore which is not good for the boards, the 8 feet soft surfboards that you used are perfect for that beach and hold easily persons from 0 to 220 pounds, I don´t understand why you want destroy a reputation in this manner, even you recognized that you surfed, the succes of first time surfing in one class is around 90% not everybody will make it the first day, that is why we recommend a second day of lessons, Punta Cana Surf School cater ONLY to small groups with private lessons, with One 1 One instructors and transportation. And still we would love to have you back at our beach and surf maybe with one of our professional fiber glass boards, sorry to read you didn´t like it, but I recommend you to erase this negative comment which is not fair at all.

All reviews
"guys were great"
in 5 reviews
"great instruction"
in 4 reviews
"highly recommend this experience"
"fresh coconut water"
"trip to the dr"
"amazing experience"
in 10 reviews

Reviewed November 27, 2011

I traveled with 3 other adults in November for our first time to the Dominican Republic. The guys have always wanted to learn to surf and I (the wife of one of them) have always been a bit too afraid but after reading reviews I decided to give it a try. Well, I am soooo glad I did! Danilos and Carlos and the 2 other guys instructing us were so attentive and patient and made a challenging thing really fun! Carlos and Danilos picked us up at the resort and spent the car ride getting to know us and telling us about life in the Dominican Republic. I don't speak Spanish and was worried about communication but fortunately they speak English so communication was easy. The ride through the countryside to the beach was great and when we arrived to Macao beach I was blown away. It was beautiful! They took us to the side with easier waves and gave us (none of us had surfed before) instructions on the beach with the boards. Then we each had an instructor out in the water with us telling us when to get on the board and paddle and what we did wrong. I got up after quite a few tries and rode some waves all the way in! Having such personal help made all the difference in the world!

One of the best parts of learning to surf at Macao is that there aren't any rocks on the bottom so you really have much less to worry about. The waves are relatively calm although the day we went they were bigger than normal but it was still manageable with the help of the instructors. The instructors really do as much or as little as you need. For example, my husband managed getting through the bigger waves on his own but my instructor managed mine until a good set came along. I appreciated this because I was exhausted afterwards and could not have stayed out as long as I did if I had to handle the board the whole time!
The guys really make this a fun excursion and are so laid back that you never feel rushed or embarrassed for taking a while to get up. I felt safe the whole time and would recommend this to anyone thinking of doing it. It does help to have some level of physical fitness but anyone will have a good time. This was truly the highlight of my trip! I can't even describe how much fun we had.

We also went to the Coastriders surf shop in the mall. It was great! If you do go to the local mall, go to the supermarket for rum and cigars if you are planning to get any while in the Dominican Republic- the prices were less than half of the ones at our resort and cheaper than duty free stores too.

1  Thank misty_mountain_hop
Reviewed November 21, 2011

What a Day on the beach ,the whole family three kids me and my wife learn to surf the same
day.......great instructors, safe and beautiful beach.......

1  Thank jdfb0764
Reviewed November 8, 2011

When I inquired with the concierge at our resort about a surfing excursion, I did not know what to expect. Having grown up around surfing, I was hesitant to use a local guide for any instruction or assistance. However, I am so thankful I was referred to Danito "Dani". Dani made sure I had the most memorable experience possible during our excursion. He arrived promptly at the resort lobby and greeted my girlfriend and I with our afternoon itinerary. I immediately knew I was going to enjoy our excursion by identifying him as a true surfer and very likable person. He had picked up two other guests at a resort near the surf break, but he graciously drove out of the way to pick up my girlfriend and I. We all shared many laughs on the way to the surf break while Dani pointed out sights along the countryside. The ride was a great improvement compared to all the other excursions which only made me focus on all the potholes in the road.
When we arrived at Macao beach, my jaw hit the floor when I saw the surf rolling in! The waves were something out of a magazine with a beautiful beach as a backdrop. After Dani learned that I was an experienced surfer, he grabbed his personal board for me to use that fit my ability. It made all the difference to use a great board in perfect conditions. He pointed me right where to paddle out in the "experienced" break while he took the others down the beach for instruction. My girlfriend relaxed on the beautiful beach and snapped pictures of my rides. After we finished Dani grabbed us all drinks while we relished in the session of our lives.
It was the highlight of my trip, and Dani was nothing short of a perfect host. My whole concept of the Dominican completely changed after this one afternoon. I cannot wait to return soon, and I plan on booking a surf excursion with Dani every day!

3  Thank smithersthelizard
See more reviews
Reviewed October 21, 2011

This was my 3rd time in Dominican Rep. I really wanted to try surfing. I have never done before, and was recommended by my rep to Danilo and his Punta Cana Surfing School. Got picked up from the hotel and within 30 min we were on this amazing Macao Beach! No hotels, no people, just a few locals and other surfers. On my first day the ways were just perfect for a total beginner. Danilo showed me the basics on the dry and then woo hoo - lets go try for real! I was there for almost 3 hrs, and I was knackered after that, but I had amazing time and decided to come back. Infact I came back 2x. Thats how much I loved it! Next time Im in Punta Cana (and I will be back) Im going to surf as much as I can! And big thanks to his wonderful right hand Antonio. I gave me my camera and he took some great photos and videos of my attemps to surf :) Thanks guys and I see you next time.

3  Thank Marki7