“Top rate scuba operation and a great value”

Pelicano Water Sports
More attraction details
Owner description: Scuba diving, snorkeling, windsurfing, sailing, parasailing, Pelicano Sport offers you adventures from the blue depth of the ocean to the blue of our tropical sky. Pelicano Sport is one of the market’s leaders on the eastern coast of the Dominican Republic in Punta Cana and Bavaro and is recognized as one of the best water sports companies in the Caribbean. Pelicano Sport has its bases in the Ocean Blue & Sands Hotel (5-star) and the VIK Arena Blanca Hotel (4-stars) but also offers first rate service to the clients of the other hotels in the area of Bavaro/Punta Cana. Pelicanosport is a member of the internationally renowned Professional Association of Diving Instructors (PADI), provides highly professional standards and has been cited on many occasions by different magazines such as: ScubaDiving and the German magazine Unterwasser, Tauchen and Taucher for their exceptional diving programs as well as other diverse magazines and exclusive International fotoshoots.
Houston, Texas
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 16 helpful votes
“Top rate scuba operation and a great value”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 1, 2014

We did a total of 5 dives with Pelicano Watersports. Two were on Bavaro beach and three were on Catalina Island. They offer free 30-32 percent nitrox for the Bavaro beach dives. They have a variety of boats including medium sized catamarans with wide exit points and double rung ladders. They will also pick up in a small watercraft on the beach from your hotel. Their prices are quite reasonable particularly in light of the quality of their operation.

The european owners and administrative lead speak several languages which means that you can effectively communicate with them. The dive operations are well organized and executed.

The shop did a number of things that we particularly appreciated including the pickups from our hotel beach and arranging for me to use 5 pound weights from the shop for the Catalina island trip. The owner, Peter even carried the 30 pounds of weights down the steep steers in the port as I was carrying both my gear and some of my wife's gear.

There were some unusual water conditions while we were there, so the visibility was not a good as Bonaire for example. The sea life was also not as abundant nor as large, but the coral and reef was a good as anywhere.

If we visited Punta Cana again, we would use Pelicano. We will also recommend Pelicano to any of our dive shop customers that will be in the Punta Cano area.

Visited December 2013
Pelicanowatersports, Manager at Pelicano Water Sports, responded to this review, January 15, 2014
Thanks for your positive feed back! It is always in our interest to offer a high service and safety for our clients. Also little things like helping with your weight is a pleasure for us. Our free use of Nitrox in our dives in Bavaro is very welcome. Also the free pick up in the area of Bavaro.

we hope to see you again and enjoy some more dives together

Your Pelicano Water Sports Team

common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Most Accommodating Dive Operation”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 22, 2013 via mobile

We dove with Pelicano on Dec 17 (Punta Cana site) and Dec 19 (Bayahibe Excursion). Right before the Dec 17 dive, my air integrated dive computer died. They lent me regs so I could dive. Winds and waves were terrible on the Punta Cana side (which was our decision to dive). They found a secluded area were we could get wet (there were only 4 divers on the boat). Josie, our DM, was excellent. Pre-dive briefing was succinct and on target. Based on these two dives, we decided to book the Bayahibe excursion.

On Dec 19, they picked us up at our resort. Drive to Bayahibe was about an hour. Because we dove on the 17th, they kept our gear and brought it on the 19th...along with extra regs for me. There were 9 divers plus a DM. Boat was 3/4 covered which was perfect. Boat was well maintained and clean. Sasha, our DM, gave excellent pre-dive briefings before each dive...and in both German and English. He also videoed all dives. Dives were exactly as he mentioned. We did two dives, broke for lunch at a local restaurant (at no additional cost), then did a third dive. All were amazing.

On the bus trip back, Sasha shared the videos with all that wanted them at no cost. But you needed to provide your own flash drive or SD card. I think a couple people were disappointed because they did not know this was going to be available. However, through email and file sharing, all was resolved.

As for pricing, I feel it was extremely reasonable, especially when you figure in lunch and ground transportation. It was a wonderful experience. I would highly recommend Pelicano.

Visited December 2013
1 Thank Pete L
Pelicanowatersports, Manager at Pelicano Water Sports, responded to this review, January 4, 2014
thanks for your great review! We hope to see you again, to enjoy some more dives with you!
Hertfordshire
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 33 helpful votes
“First Class Diving Centre”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 6, 2013

Me and my partner Rob came to Punta Cana on the 18th October and stayed at the Riu Macao. We knew we wanted to do our Open Water Diving Course and we reviewed Pelicano before we came away, we made the decision to complete the course with Pelicano due to the excellent reviews and due to the quick response from the dive centre.
I love diving, however am a little nervous. However both Chris and Jamie made me feel so at ease with the skills required in the pool and then in the Open Water to obtain my Padi Certificate.
The cost is pretty much the same where ever so I would always go off recommendation rather than cost.
Both Rob and I felt that Chris and Jamie took the time the patience and expertise in ensuring that each skill was shown with no rushing, and then over to us to do. Often with places I have felt that its "just the money" however with Chris and Jamie I really did feel they gave 100%. They were meant to be Diving Instructors.
Not forgetting Peter as well of course, but most of our teaching came from Chris and Jamie.
We had six dives whilst we were in the Dominican and although I have dived in other places where the dive sites are "prettier, more colour, fish etc" I felt that the Diving Centre as a whole was first class.
Its a shame not all diving centres are like this.
We spent a few evenings studying in our room and studying by the pool, so maybe just a tip, do the study side just before you come away and then do the rest in the lovely sunshine.
We paid extra to go to Catalina Island and do two dives there, "The Wall and The Aquarium", very nice indeed, and lovely rum and cokes afterwards on the beach. :)
If I ever come back to the Dominican I would come back to Pelicano.
and equipment was tip top.
Thanks Chris and Jamie, keep up the good work.
Krissy and Rob X

Visited October 2013
1 Thank Krissykins
Pelicanowatersports, Manager at Pelicano Water Sports, responded to this review, November 10, 2013
thanks for your great review! We enjoyed to have you as students and can't wait to see you again! It was a pleasure to do the course with you and see how much fun you had to learn diving!

Chris manager of the Flipflops ;-))
Port Republic, Maryland
12 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“diving in Punta Cana”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 28, 2013

My son and went scuba diving while in the Dominican republic with Pelicano Water Sports. They are a first rate dive shop. Knowledgeable and multilingual dive staff. Good gear, and they even picked us up and dropped us off at our hotel. I would use them again if in the DR

Visited August 2013
1 Thank DEBRA S
Aldie, Virginia, United States
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Fabulous Dive Staff”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 27, 2013

Gave a call to Peter at Pelicano Water Sports less than a week out from our vacation to schedule several dives. We were a complicated bunch...2 people needing discovery dive training in the morning, 2 people needing to complete their Open Water Certification, and 2 people just wanting to dive. After emailing Chris, she figured it all out, got all six of us in an afternoon dive together we could enjoy, and we had a great day. The best part was the dives and the compassionate staff. They understood that we wanted to stick together as a group even though we had such different needs. It work out great. I was one of the OW divers and enjoyed the relaxed atmosphere. The goal was not to get through all the dives, the goal was to have fun and enjoy the water/wildlife.
We were taken to three sites on the first day. Our next excursion day was Catalina Island, A MUST SEE!!!! If you are certified, you can go down the wall (~90ft) or we went partially down the wall. Very colorful and beautiful. The second dive was the aquarium. We felt like we were in the aquarium with all the wildlife watching us.
Catalina Island is a must excursion with the option to snorkel as well as dive.

Visited August 2013