“Advanced Open Water Certification” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Pelicano Water Sports

Pelicano Water Sports
More attraction details
Owner description: Scuba diving, snorkeling, windsurfing, sailing, parasailing, Pelicano Sport offers you adventures from the blue depth of the ocean to the blue of our tropical sky. Pelicano Sport is one of the market’s leaders on the eastern coast of the Dominican Republic in Punta Cana and Bavaro and is recognized as one of the best water sports companies in the Caribbean. Pelicano Sport has its bases in the Ocean Blue & Sands Hotel (5-star) and the VIK Arena Blanca Hotel (4-stars) but also offers first rate service to the clients of the other hotels in the area of Bavaro/Punta Cana. Pelicanosport is a member of the internationally renowned Professional Association of Diving Instructors (PADI), provides highly professional standards and has been cited on many occasions by different magazines such as: ScubaDiving and the German magazine Unterwasser, Tauchen and Taucher for their exceptional diving programs as well as other diverse magazines and exclusive International fotoshoots.
Beaufort, South Carolina
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Advanced Open Water Certification”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 26, 2012

Thank You to the staff at Pelicano. The whole experience from initial e-mails (quick replies) to picking me up at the Hard Rock Casino and Hotel (on time), to the quality of the rental gear, and instruction. They worked with my tight schedule without compromising the quality of the training. Thanks again.

Visited October 2012
1 Thank John T

Cardiff, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Open Water Diver Certification”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 10, 2012

Pelicano Water Sports - Punta Cana, Dominican Republic

3 - 14 August 2012

My wife, daughter and I recently spent 11 nights at the Ocean Blue & Sand Hotel, Punta Cana, Dominican Republic.
My daughter (12 years) and I had already carried out our pool dives and passed all the theory exams prior to travelling to enable us to spend more time enjoying our holiday instead of revising.
I contacted Pelicano by e-mail 2 months prior to travelling to ensure they were happy for us to complete the Open Water Dives with them and for them to sign off our Open Water Diver qualification. Their communication was excellent - thanks Chris! All e-mails were answered within 24 hours.
We pre-booked our Open Water Dives prior to travelling. By paying online with PayPal Pelicano offer a 10% discount (see their booking page) which is a significant discount if booking a package of dives as we were.
On the first morning of our holiday we walked through the hotel grounds to the beach where Pelicano are located. Here we met Heike and introduced ourselves. She then introduced us to Peter Lorenz (owner) and we discussed which parts of the course we had already completed and the paperwork/logbooks we had brought with us. We then booked our first dive for the next morning.
The following morning was lovely and sunny and we arrived at the beach at 9.00am. We connected our regulators/BCD/tank and went out to the boat.
When we got out to the dive site the sea was very rough. I jumped in first and then my daughter started to panic and said she couldn't do it. I told her not to worry and to stay on the boat but then she jumped in. She then panicked even more as the swell was large and she felt like she was being sucked under. I told her to put her regulator in and that it would be fine once we were under the surface but she wasn't comfortable and she got back on the boat. Pelicano looked after her and sent another boat out to take her back to the beach.
I had an amazing first dive which was led by Dago and Adam. We dived on the wreck of the Astron (check it on Google). As it was my first dive I was really concentrating on my breathing etc. but did manage to see several Lion Fish and two Eagle Rays - thanks Dago!
We then moved location for our second dive where we carried out some of the required drills for our certification.
When we returned to the beach Peter, who was on the other dive boat, was really concerned that my daughter did not dive. He asked me if I would bring her back the next day for him to talk to her.
The next day Peter had a long chat with my daughter and asked her to come on a dive with him only. We did this the next morning with a very calm, flat sea but torrential rain - conditions I thought were worse than the first dive. I didn't think she would dive in those conditions but Peter talking to her gave her the confidence and we had an excellent dive. Peter showed her an Eel and she held a Sea Urchin and Sea Cucumber, being careful of course to replace them. From this point on she did not look back and we both went on to pass our PADI Open Water Diver.
Peter, I can never thank you enough for getting my daughter back in the water. I would also like to thank Petra for taking us on our final qualification dive and sorting out our certification, Dago for taking us both on our first dive as qualified divers and Adam for his help in getting us through our qualification. Thanks also to all the other guys who carried our heavy kit to the boats and back and the boat captains.
A special thank you to Heike who was always prepared to spend time chatting and helped make our holiday special. Thank you for your kindness.
Chris, it is a shame we didn't meet as you were in Germany, but hopefully next year?
Thanks again to all at Pelicano - I have no hesitation in recommending you to anyone.
We hope to see you all again next year for the Catalina trip!!

3 Thank Tim B
Reading, United Kingdom
60 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 153 helpful votes
“Pelicano watersports”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 11, 2012

I was lucky enough to have 3 weeks in Punta Cana, which meant I had plenty of time to dive.
I looked at various diving operations in the area and emailed them all. I read all their reviews, but decided to go with Pelicano.
That was the best decision I have ever made. From the initial emails to the easy booking system, we, (my son and I) booked 2 x 20 dive packages.
We were picked up from our hotel, on time, taken to the dive shop where we were greeted by their front of Desk (Heike), She was absolutely wonderful, giving us all the information we needed, and throughout our 22 dives, ensured we were comfortable, plus advice on all trips we booked and took.
The divemasters (Tago and Adam ) were brilliant with their dive site descriptions and briefings, and working really hard to ensure we got the most out of each dive.
Peter and Chris ( the owners ) oversaw all the operation with a professional but friendly eye.
We decided to do the Rescue Diver Course, and thanks must go to Adam for the great tuition and practicals.
All I can say is that the whole of Pelican staff, from Boat staff, Captains, Divemasters to Peter and Chris were all polite friendly and professional.
Thanks to Tago for guiding us through all the fantastic dive sites, and I would recommend the night dive at the Astron
I would vouch for Pelicano without hesitation, and will use them again the next time we visit
- Anthony + Josh Julian

3 Thank Anthony J
Alexandria, Virginia
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Pelicano Dive Shop”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 16, 2012

Just wanted to give the dive shop a big thank you. When I left my wet suit at the dive shop they made a over the top effort to find it and then without question returned it to me at my hotel (Hard Rock)-- thank you!

3 Thank 428Luigi
Berlin
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“Diving with Pelicano”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 12, 2012

I have just came back from the DR, to cold Germany. I was diving with Pelicano Sport , made 10 dives and Isla Catalina. I was impressed o the service and the staff they have. I was around the world diving , Maledives , Egypt and many palces more never have found this service. The dive sides are close and all around 45 feet deep.

Again i would ever dive again with Pelicano, good job.

Visited July 2012