“Best scuba experience ever!!”

Pelicano Water Sports
More attraction details
Owner description: Scuba diving, snorkeling, windsurfing, sailing, parasailing, Pelicano Sport offers you adventures from the blue depth of the ocean to the blue of our tropical sky. Pelicano Sport is one of the market’s leaders on the eastern coast of the Dominican Republic in Punta Cana and Bavaro and is recognized as one of the best water sports companies in the Caribbean. Pelicano Sport has its bases in the Ocean Blue & Sands Hotel (5-star) and the VIK Arena Blanca Hotel (4-stars) but also offers first rate service to the clients of the other hotels in the area of Bavaro/Punta Cana. Pelicanosport is a member of the internationally renowned Professional Association of Diving Instructors (PADI), provides highly professional standards and has been cited on many occasions by different magazines such as: ScubaDiving and the German magazine Unterwasser, Tauchen and Taucher for their exceptional diving programs as well as other diverse magazines and exclusive International fotoshoots.
Reviewed March 4, 2012

Peter and Chris were very pleasant to be with. We completed our OWD with them, and they are 100% professionals. Their entire staff was courteous and helpful. I wouldn't dive with anyone while in Punta Cana.

1  Thank Mwiens
There are newer reviews for Pelicano Water Sports

Reviewed February 17, 2012

When I arrived in Punta Cana I had a cold and couldn't dive. Chris was extremely understanding and arranged for the dive training when I was better. I took the OWD with elearning so I had the classroom portion completed before I got there and highly recommend it. When I was able to dive, Emily provided me with an excellent review of the the key classroom concepts and a gave me a comprehensive overview of the equipment and setup. We then proceeded to the pool where we went through every practical exercise and procedure. She is a great instructor and is very patient and generous with her time and made the extra effort to make sure I did everything correctly. After the pool dives were completed I went on the first of four ocean dives. I was again very fortunate to have Peter as an instructor for the ocean dives. Like Emily, he was extremely professional and went through every procedure making sure I did everything correctly. I spent all of the four OWD required ocean dives with him and learned a great deal about OWD, especially bouyancy control and how to to control it by breathing. It was really important to me that I learned at a PADI dive center and I feel I learned a lot from two of the best. I can't thank them enough for their incredible patience and ability to teach in a such a way that they provided instruction, confidence, and fun at the same time-----this is not an easy thing to do.
Both instructors were also able to assess new diver abilities as I never felt insecure or being pushed to do anything uncomfortable or unreasonable. This also made each dive a very positive experience. I hope to get back to Punta Cana again and will surely continue my dive experience and training with them in the future. I'm already thinking about taking the advanced OWD and will go to Pelicano Water Sports again for this training.
I would also like to add that the amazing patience and professionalism extends to all members of the staff. Everyone is amazing and makes sure you have a great experience

2  Thank george r
Reviewed February 2, 2012

Visited Punta Cana from January 9 -16, 2012 specifically with the desire to go on some scuba diving excursions. Pelicano water sports was the only outfit that has PADI certification that I could see in the area. We stayed at the Ocean Blue & Sands resort so it was an easy walk from our room to Pelicano whenever I went diving. I purchased the 5 dive package for $229 which included the dive equipment. I don't have a huge amount of scuba experience but from what I could see the equipment (BCs, regs, wet suits) at Pelicano was in good condition. They had 2 dive boats. They did 2 dives in the morning and 1 dive in the afternoon. The dives I went on were not deep (15m -16m) so for the morning dives a long surface interval time was not required. I did 3 dives at the Astron wreck site which was fun. I saw a sea turtle, eagle ray, tarpon (Pelicano owner Peter had his own dive spot at the wreck where he guaranteed these large fish would be spotted), many yellow snappers and (fortunately) not many invasive lionfish. This was more than I expected to see after reading that the reef was not in great condition. Visibility was great on my first two dives but was not so good on subsequent dives when the water became more rough. Peter and the staff (Isabel, Drago, Fritz, Amy; sorry if I am not getting all the names right) took excellent care of all the divers. They were very professional. Pelicano offers many other excursions which I was unable to go on but were highly recommended by other visitors. I hope to be back some day soon.

3  Thank Jose L
Reviewed January 31, 2012

Great way to spend a half day! Wonderful guides assisted my 70 yr old parents every step of the way. And I got a great one on one snorkel guide since it was too rough for the others in our group that day. They supplied snorkel gear to those that didn't bring their own. After snorkeling they served unlimited beer and mamajuana, there may have been water too, I wouldn't know :-). Then a nice ride along the beach to a natural pool where we had a snack, a few drinks and danced in the water to the music from the boat. I guess there was supposed to be a stop for some huge waterslide but it was shut down because of wind the day we went so we didn't make that stop. Pelicano offered to take us back for free the next day to experience the slide. Very cool of them.

4  Thank mn_isla_girl
Reviewed January 5, 2012

We stayed at the Iberostar Grand Bavaro Punta Cana and although they have a dive shop on site, after reading a review on tripadvisor, we decided to seek out Pelicanos Water sport and we are glad we did. It is a very short walk along the beach to the right of the Grand Bavaro to the Pelicanos dive shop which is right on the beach. We booked the day trip for both divers and snorkelers to Catalina Island on the Carribean side which started at 7.15 am. Having decided not to bring our dive gear on vacation we went into the shop the day before and picked out our rental equipment to save time the next day. The equipment was good but unfortunately they do not have computers. The dive trip, inclusive of gear, price was 30% cheaper than the dive shop at the hotel. We were picked up at our hotel on the morning of the trip and took an interesting drive across the island to the Carribbean side. The owner operator, Peter was with the tour and was extremely diligent in making sure the dive-snorkel trip would be both safe and enjoyable for everyone. We were paired with a staff member who was diving on a computer and although we missed ours we felt quite comfortable with Jeff. The dives were very nice, one being a wall and the other 'Aquarium', had lots of fish. The dives were done from a catamaran and all of the staff were very helpful in assisting us in setting up the gear, providing a helping hand to the dive platform and great asistance when exiting the water. Lunch was served on the island and was very good. We would certainly recommend Pelicanos Water Sports for a service oriented and safe Dive Shop. Unfortunately some Dive shops do offer a party atmosphere with very young dive masters but this was not the case with this dive operator. Emphasis is on safety and professional service.

6  Thank harrogate46