“Nice place, food is mediocre.”
Review of Balicana

Balicana
Ranked #19 of 324 Restaurants in Punta Cana
Cuisines: Asian
Good for: Special occasions, Families with children, Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Description: Balicana is located in the middle of green gardens, where you can enjoy the typical flavors of Asian cuisine, prepared at home using fresh ingredients, in an intimate place where joy of food is priority.
Reviewed September 17, 2012

This place is nice like most of the restaurants in Punta Cana, the service is Ok, prices are high for wath they give you, the presentation of the food is very poor. I whent two times to see if it improuves, at the second time I find that fried dihes where better. Poor service, wine list to small. I do not recomend this restaurant.

There are newer reviews for Balicana

Reviewed September 16, 2012

This is fabulous food; the restaurant seating is outdoor, and the food is amazing. A must do at Bavaro Beach.

Reviewed August 29, 2012

Overall good Asian cuisine and ambiance, if you don't mind dining on "island time."

Location:
First, finding Balicana wasn't super easy in the dark, even though it was literally right next door to the Stanza Mare condos we were staying in. You basically have to walk down the Alley way right next to Stanza Mare, dodging motorbikes and scooters along the way. Keep walking past the gated guard shack, you will see D'Angelos Italian on your right. Continue further down the sidewalk path until you see the Balicana sign and outdoor pool.

The Food:
Everything my girlfriend and I ate was overall good.

We had the Chicken Spring Rolls appetizer. This might be my most highly recommended item for one simple reason...the sauce. I'm an admitted sauceaholic, but the sauce that comes with was to die for.

In addition to being a sauceaholic, I'm also a spicenut. I like it hot. So naturally I ordered the Thai Green Seafood Curry (Balicana's proclaimed hottest dish on the menu) as my meal. It didn't disappoint. It was very spicy indeed and the seafood seemed fresh and tasty for sure. The portion size was fair.

The GF, had Pad Thai w/ Chicken. Like sour cream chicken enchiladas are the true test of any Mexican restaurant, Pad Thai is typically a dependable benchmark for any Asian/Thai place. By that standard, Balicana only comes in at average. The dish was kind of sweet actually. A little too sweet to be really good Pad Thai. The dish was still good but not great. The flavor of the peanuts mixed in might have been the best part.

Not to be deterred, we did save room for desert. The logical choice was Banana Tempura w/ Vanilla Ice Cream. Desert has never been my forte' as I'm the opposite of a sweet tooth. When people offer me desert I'd rather just have more of the main course (a second steak, a second bowl of curry, etc...). I must say that this dish is worth saving room for. It's one of the best banana dishes I've ever eaten. It probably belongs right up there with the Bananas Foster at Landry's Seafood (U.S.) and Mom's Banana Pudding.

Service:
The only thing keeping it from an "excellent" rating is the service. I don't harp on service. I was a long-time waiter in college and know what it's like. I'll just say that our server basically forgot about us once we were done eating. It was at least 15 minutes and nobody would come by so we eventually had to walk up to the bar and ask for the check. Bad form on that one Balicana, but it's to be expected in underdeveloped areas with few restaurant options.

Price:
It was 2200 pesos I believe. More expensive than Outside In because the drinks ended up being more expensive. I would definitely go back and try more menu items, while drinking water or coke.

Reviewed August 27, 2012

This little gem is located in Los Corales. The dining atmosphere is nice and casual with outside seating under lighted thatched roofing or under umbrellas beside the pool along with palm trees and other beautiful well manicured foliage. Dined here 3 times in the last two weeks, Chicken Curry, Pad Thai, Tamarindo Fish which were all VERY good, as was the service. The sampler plate is also VERY good and is filling enough for lunch with skewered chicken, shrimp, spring rolls, tempura broccoli and peppers with 3 awesome dipping sauces. Food and drink prices are very reasonable. Will definately be coming back for more.... Hola Simone ;-)

1  Thank debinatore
Reviewed August 21, 2012

We stayed in Bavaro for 34 days and went to Balicana 3 times. Each time the food was great and the setting and service can't be beat. The teriyaki fish was fantastic.