“Beautiful Beaches, Outstanding Service” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Presidential Suites - Punta Cana

Presidential Suites - Punta Cana
Ranked #49 of 110 Hotels in Punta Cana
Somerville, New Jersey
“Beautiful Beaches, Outstanding Service”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 30, 2014

I enjoyed my stay at the Presidential Suites very much, especially thanks to the service provided by Pikete, Felix, Gabriel, and Kauri. The professionalism and courtesy of the staff was unrivaled - they were very hard working and always had a smile on their faces.

The beaches at the resort were amazing as well, even more beautiful than those in Puerto Plata. However, the restaurants were a little lackluster and limited in selection.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled solo
1 Thank ERNESTO101848

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (544)
  • Polish first
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 29, 2014

hotel is very nice. the beach is glorious, plenty of sun beds available.
the entertainment team are lead by Jose, who is wonderful. they all work very hard to put the shows on.
the rooms are very clean
the food was always of a very good standard

• Stayed April 2014
1 Thank tlc2511
Cedar Grove, New Jersey
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 28, 2014

We arrived at the resort at about noon for a six-night stay with another family. In total, we were four adults and five children ranging in age from 7 to 14. Helen greeted us at the front desk with champagne and smiles. Our family had a three-bedroom booked for only part of our stay (last four nights) due to availability. Owing to a no-show on the previous day, a three-bedroom was available upon check-in. Helen graciously placed us in the three-bedroom immediately at no extra charge. We were provided with our wristbands and toured the grounds until check-in at three. We were then taken by golf cart to our respective rooms.

Regrettably, it all went rapidly downhill from there.

The first room we were placed in was on the second floor in building 5 (friends stayed in a two-bedroom in building 1). There was a strong smell of sewage that greeted us as we walked through the front door. It was beyond unbearable and we were all becoming extremely nauseous. When I called the front desk, they said that someone would be over shortly. When I asked what the remedy would be…I was told that they would “spray”. I was entirely certain that “spraying” would accomplish nothing, but I tolerantly waited.

In the interim, our “VIP” representative (we booked through a friend who is a shareholder) came to provide us with the details of their services. The fridge is stocked daily with fresh fruit, beer, wine and soda. In addition, as a “VIP” guest, you can choose from an assortment of liquor and fruit juices, including red or white wine (neither recommended), champagne, Malibu rum, Stolichnaya vodka and some others, which can be picked up from the “VIP” office when needed. This was an unexpected and notable benefit.

Back to the odor….when no one arrived to address the smell (and because I was in dire need of fresh air), I walked over to the front desk. While I was there, I was told that someone had visited the room and that they would actually be moving us.

We were moved to the first floor of the same building. We were content to find that the horrendous stench was absent from this unit (it returned on occasion….but nothing compared to the smell in the original room). The bedrooms were spacious and there was ample closet space. The beds have only sheets, but if you call housekeeping, they will (eventually) provide some blankets (you might have to call a few times). The “couch” in our room was actually a dilapidated futon. The accommodations appeared, otherwise, acceptable.

Then I showered. The water from the shower in the master bath never drained and leaked under the glass and filled the rest of the bathroom with water. We had to use all of the towels in the unit to clean up the flood. We called the front desk several times before someone came. Maintenance eventually showed up with a plunger. He claimed everything was fixed and left.

Then my husband showered. Another flood. I lost track of how many times I had to complain about this to both the front desk and "VIP" services. Maintenance eventually came back a second time on the following day with a screwdriver!? Still no luck.

Finally…I requested that we just leave it alone and we would all just share the one shower until we leave. It had become unbelievably inconvenient. Each time a maintenance man came….we were told that we couldn’t leave them alone and we had to stay there until they were finished. I was told later that the policy is to have security with them…but that never seemed to happen in practice.

Despite my having requested that we just be left alone….someone showed up again on the third day to repair the shower and, to my astonishment, fixed it (third time’s a charm). Unfortunately, this was just in time for the toilet to takeover flooding the bathroom. Every time we flushed, water poured from the bottom of the toilet filling up the bathroom with water. Each time they sent someone in to repair it….they put some puddy around the bottom. I repeatedly requested that they either do the job properly….or just leave it alone…..we could all just use the other toilet.

Ana (“VIP” services) offered to move us again…but with three children…there were things everywhere….I had zero desire to move again. The amount of time we had spent waiting in the room for repairs had become ridiculous. At this point, I just wanted us to have some privacy and the chance to enjoy the remainder of our vacation.

Ana requested that that I give them another chance to fix the toilet. I told her that if they would come while we were out at dinner (our reservation was at 8:30pm), I would give it on last shot. She insisted that they would come at 8:30pm with security and repair it while we were out so that we wouldn’t be disturbed yet again. We came home from dinner and NOTHING had been done.

When I went to see Ana the next morning, she explained that maintenance came to repair the toilet at 8:30pm as requested…but no one answered the door. Ummm….REALLY!!!!???

At this point I was concomitantly perplexed and enraged. I insisted that they keep all maintenance workers out of our unit until we leave. I’m unsure if incompetence or just a complete lack of concern was to blame….but there was zero interest in doing anything to improve matters. Not once did anyone in that office utter anything resembling an apology. I got blank stares and abhorrent attitudes. I requested that the upgrade charge be refunded (it was a small charge – less than $200) and was denied. Apparently, they must deal directly with the member. It became painfully obvious that this “resort” had zero desire to make visiting guests happy, its sole motive was to sell, sell, sell.

And it continued…..another worker showed up the following day (somehow they didn’t get the memo). My husband had to sit with him…yet again….so that he could cake puddy all over the base of the toilet.

Later that day yet another maintenance worker came to the door while we were getting ready for dinner. My husband assumed he was there to check on the toilet and requested that they come back later when we were finished showering. A few minutes later….Ana (“VIP” services) came to our door and began screaming at my husband claiming that he came to her office complaining about a power outage and that we need to let maintenance in immediately. It was entirely obvious that we were not having an issue with the power (lights/AC/Fans…all running fine). TIP FOR ANA: If someone comes and complains about an issue in their room….it would behoove you to get a room number so that you don’t boorishly shout at the wrong guest. If this is “VIP” service, I would hate to see what the standard service gets you. We have NEVER been treated this way by resort/hotel staff in our lives!!!

As it turned out….the family with the power-outage was our travel companions (and several others in their building). They had to call another 3 times before anyone came to the room. Then they were told the same story about not being able to be left alone (no mention of a security escort) while they work. Finally…they let him leave….but we were already 40 minutes late for our 6:30 dinner reservation. Because there is another seating at 8:30 (and very little room)….being late is not wise. They will kick you out at 8:15 to prepare for the next seating whether you have eaten or not.

Astonishingly, the toilet was NEVER fixed. We tried it once more (just for fun) after the last “fix” the morning we left. Completely flooded the bathroom.

General observations:

The resort is very small….but that was one of the (few) things that we really liked about it. It was easy for us to keep track of the kids….and easy for the kids to navigate the grounds. The beach is stunning. Just don’t leave the area directly in front of the resort with small children. To the left (looking at the water) are some beachfront shops, which include a “spa” that provides “sexy massage” services. The “sexy massage” service providers repeatedly solicited the men (even with their children in tow) as they strolled past their shop.

Do not book anything through Carlos on the beach. He clearly lacked the authority to contract on behalf of the excursion owners (e.g., banana boat owner, bebe snorkeling boat). We found that terms/days/times changed substantially when we booked anything through Carlos…and then he quickly disappeared.

Security was interesting. On the first day, we left the resort to shop through a gate secured with a padlock to explore some of the local shops. When we returned, there was no security guard, but the lock was open.…so we just pulled it off, walked in and closed the gate behind us. The security guard was busy chatting with the lifeguard (who was NEVER looking at the water) and didn’t even notice us entering through the gate. On the beach, the security was a bit better. They always seemed to be monitoring the area and someone was there 24-hours a day (Juan was the best….genuinely decent guy). On the second day, there was a rowdy bunch on the third floor above our room. The kids were swimming in the pool and they were spitting on them and throwing cigarette buts out of the window. Security quickly intervened and we were never disturbed by the group again.

Food and Drinks:

There are only three restaurants and only two are open for dinner each night (Decadence and one of the other two).

• Decadence is the largest of the eateries. This is where breakfast and lunch are served. Breakfast is fine. They make omelets and the kids ate pancakes (albeit cold pancakes) and bacon (when we could score some – “10 minutes, 10 minutes”) most mornings. “Obama” was fabulous (unlike his American doppelganger). Lunch wasn’t bad either. We ate dinner there on the first night and never again.

• Kimonos – Asian fusion. We ate there twice. The first time we ate outside and it was decent. Only issue was that there was really nothing for the kids to eat. The second time….not so good. We requested to eat outside, but they said that the table was taken. It is an extremely small restaurant…and it was FILLED with smoke. It took 40 minutes to get drinks (and they were the wrong ones). Food was terrible and came out randomly. The table we requested outside remained vacant the entire time and they finally allowed us to have desert out there after we asked another 3 times.

• Basil & Tomatoes – Italian. This really isn’t a full restaurant. It occupies the patio section of Decadence. This is the only place we could find food for the kids for dinner. They had pizza and spaghetti and meatballs, which the kids all enjoyed. The grown-up food wasn’t half-bad either.

Make reservations early or you will be stuck at Decadence every night. We tried to make reservations on Sunday evening for Monday’s dinner through the "VIP" service and they said that they didn’t have the schedule yet and that we would have to make our reservation in the morning. When we tried to make a reservation at 9am THE NEXT MORNING, we were told that both Basil & Tomatoes and Kimonos were already fully booked and that our only option was Decadence. They eventual figured out a way to get us in…but it was a struggle (as were most things there).

They advertise 2 main bars and 3 VIP bars. Wholly misleading. There is a bar at the beach and one inside Decadence, which the servers use to pick up drinks for diners….but this should not qualify as a “bar”. The VIP bar (and it is technically not 3 separate bars…it’s one) is truly a sales office. We did go in to order drinks (because it was easier than waiting for the pool-side service that would only screw up your order after taking an hour to bring it) and the kids liked getting snack trays (cheese doodles and nachos)…but no one really spent any time there. Part of it was advertised as a sports bar. My husband and his friend asked if they could watch a soccer game there one day….and they were told that the TVs were only used solely for sales videos. They had to go to a bar off-site where they had to pay to drink (they were tired of Presidente anyway). Beach-side service was great….very attentive servers.

Entertainment:

The animation crew was amazing. They work ridiculous hours (13+ hours a day for 20 days straight) and always have a ton of energy. They do aerobics, dance, and play volleyball all day and then entertain all night. Felix made a FABULOUS Easter bunny. Stefanie was unbelievable with the kids. The little ones loved being the stars of the mini disco.

The entertainment was great for such a small resort. The Michael Jackson show was a big hit. We had seen it at a much larger resort in DR a few years back…but didn’t mind repeating it.

In summary:

If the management devoted even half as much time and energy on improving their customer service department as they do on their sales program, they might have a decent resort in a few years. Until then….steer clear.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
10 Thank staggerleigh
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 28, 2014

I thought that Charles and arrow on the activities team were fabulous. They made our trip so much fun and went above and beyond to make sure everyone was enjoying there stay. After the front desk having a hard time with our reservation to begin with and our snorkeling trip being messed up by lifestyles organization our trip would have been miserable without the activities team.

• Stayed January 2014
Mansfield, Ohio
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 27, 2014

I thoroughly enjoyed my stay with my family during our vacation at Presidential Suites. The food, room, and property as a whole was universally exceptional and secluded. The one component that made this vacation so incredible was the staff. Every one of them was overwhelmingly warm and gracious with all of their help. The group of waiters who served us at the beach were absolutely incredible and were taking care of us constantly. Ruben, Arismendy, Raibel, Manuel, and Fernando were especially great. Their smiles and constant friendliness was contagious and allowed us to have a laid back, and happy time at the beach. The waiters at the various restaurants were equally fantastic. Leonel, Ramon,and Fibroaliza were three incredible workers that stood out to us. We especially enjoyed the entertainment crew of Capuchino, Pikete, and Gabriel. They kept us entertained and in a constant state of fun all week and we enjoyed their company day in and day out. By the end of the week, we felt as if we were surrounded by family and not workers. Overall, our stay with Presidential Suites was a memorable one, and we would definitely be interested in vacationing with them again.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Charlie K
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 27, 2014

I want to personally Thank you for the courteous, friendly and efficient service provided by your overall staff. A very special Thank you to employee, Capuchino, his service was exemplary. He was always helpful and friendly. Service provided, made our stay felt like a home away from home. My friends and I had an awesome stay. Thank you Capuchino and staff. I will definitely refer this resort to family and friends.
Thank you.

Room Tip: Based on my personal experience and conversations with other guest all rooms are equally satisfacto...