“TALK TO WILSON PAQUO” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #49 of 110 Hotels in Punta Cana
Tallahassee, Florida
“TALK TO WILSON PAQUO”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 17, 2014

Just got back from Presidential Suites. Best place in Punta Cana. Sure, there was never hot water, and the air conditioners only worked some of the time, but it is still the nicest place in Punta Cana. Wilson, one of the activities guys, is the nicest, most helpful, most caring individuals you will meet. All the staff is great, but Wilson stands head and shoulders above the rest. I would expect him to be running the place within a year. I happen to be a professor of business who focuses on customer service, and Wilson is textbook perfect. Need anything? ANYTHING...ask Wilson.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Anthony R

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (544)
  • Polish first
pa
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 16, 2014

Our family of four stayed here 2/10/14-2/16/14. I booked our vacation on Cheap Caribbean. The price we paid ($2546-this included air and meals) we were pleasantly surprised on how great PS really was!

We flew out of Philly and parked at Park and Jet. DO NOT PARK THERE! OUR CAR GOT HIT AND BASICALLY TOO BAD SO SAD. We asked them to look at their cameras to see if we could get any information on who hit us. They could not give us any information because the only cameras they have are for the entrance. They should have cameras that record the entire parking lot for this very reason. Pick some place that has cameras for security.

Staff:
I would like to say thank you to those staff members that really made our vacation even better. Thank you to Jose (who checked me in and made all my reservations) you are the best!!! Majorie, Paola, Andre's, Veronica Olivio (hope you think of our family when you wear your necklace :) Helen, Milton and Santos. Thank you Veronica for getting our donation to Integracion Juvenil in Puerto Plata. Thank you Yngrid Rosario for replying to my emails and giving us a local charity program that we could donate too. Thank you Ana in housekeeping for always taking care of our room, especially Valentine's day when you had such a beautiful display! Thank you Felix and the entire entertainment staff for always putting a smile on our face. Thank you to Rubin for never leaving our glasses empty! I apologize but I did not get the names of the beach attendants. They were beyond attentive and did not want us to have to do anything. We have stayed at Sandals, Beaches, Couples, Iberostar, Excellence and Ritz Carlton's and I must say this was the BEST beach service we have ever encountered. So much, that we never left the beach until it was time to get ready for dinner. We always tip and I actually ran out of money because I gave more than what we normally do. Thank you Lopez for treating us so well! Jose was great at the bar. The entire staff was just wonderful and I credit them for making our vacation so much better.

Beach:
Loved the beach beds and loungers with thick cushions. Take a walk and see what the other hotel guests are lounging on. I had several people ask me, (while walking to the water) what the name of "this resort" was. It was amusing to see the reaction of some of the people when they were walking by.

Room:
Loved loved our two bedroom room with spiral staircase to the roof top patio. By far one of the best rooms we have had on vacation. Make sure the light is lit for the water heater. Our breaker was off and the first night we had cold showers. So check your breaker, once my hubby turned it on, we had no problems. I heard others complain that water was actually coming in from their ceiling but we were on the 4th floor and did not have any problems.

Food:
Plenty to eat. Even though there are only 3 restaurants, there was a selection for a la carte dinner. I would imagine if you were there for longer than a week, you might like more to choose from. For the time we were there it was fine. The only time I was disappointed was on our arrival day. We got there at the only time there was no food being served, which I believe was 5ish. Of course we ate dinner early, but it would have been nice to have a snack. It was a long travel day and the last we ate was at the airport before we left for Punta Cana. Any other day it did not matter because you knew the hours when food would be available. Had no problems making the morning reservations with Jose. He really took care of my reservations for my family. He also personally checked me in and obviously received my emails with my requests :)

Excursions:
My husband and daughters (age 18 and 15) did X-treme Buggy with Charlie. They loved it! They also said the stop, to have some coffee, was they best they ever tasted. They gave out candy for the children in the villages but now I am thinking maybe we should have brought toothbrushes and toothpaste, since everyone brings candy! There were some other people at the resort that did other buggy excursions and did not have the same experience. Make sure you book this prior to leaving. It sells our pretty quick since there are only 4 buggies. They are also stick so if you can't drive one don't pick this excursion. For Valentine's Day me and the girls did Dr. Fish Ocean Spa. This was such a great experience and the first we ever did something like this. It was so much fun and worth the money. The fish nibbling at our feet felt quite strange but we had our "Kardashian" moment...lol! We normally do the resort spa as a treat but PS does not have one.

My negatives:
Time share sharks. In the am, they all stand in the middle just waiting to talk to you. Just know the meeting (about information on your departure) they want you to go to a time share presentation. I knew this prior and never went to the meeting. When the sharks asked if I just got there and what my room number is, my reply was no thank you. After two days of saying this they realized I was not going to go and then left me alone.

Taking a walk on the beach, two words "no gracias" and keep on walking. Not that you should be afraid to walk on the beach because it is perfectly safe, just be prepared to have people ask you to come into their store, buy this, etc. Like time sharks, they just keep asking and walking aside of you. You have been warned, so if you stop that is your own fault...lol

No spa or gym offered. I did like the activities on the beach. I think some people went to the spa next door.

Feel free to contact me with any questions. I would go back for the right price. As a matter of fact, we are looking to do a couples trip this Nov and when I priced PS out it was more for two people for 6 days then 4 people for 7 days????? I guess I just got a great deal when they switched owners. If I can get a better price later, I will return but I will not pay more for two people then I did for 4. Hopefully I can get a better price closer to Nov and return to Presidential Suites. If not, I will be going elsewhere only because of price and what is being offered.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank ceo1213
Salt Lake City, Utah
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 16, 2014

We (me, my wife, and 6-year-old son) stayed here for a week in March 2014. I had read some negative reviews, and was a bit uneasy, but we were very pleasantly surprised. The 2-bedroom room we had was fairly nice, though they definitely cut corners finishing up, and the kitched was a joke. We had originally not booked this as all-inclusive, but bought the package when we got there. Be aware that if you're not AI, you can't use ANY of the bars or restaurants. There's a very good selection of off-site bars and restaurants very close, though.

The beach is a bit small, as others have noticed, but it didn't really impact us that much, and we spent almost the entire week on the beach. You can walk either direction for miles, too, in case you get bored with the local beach views.

Sometimes it is very difficult getting a drink from the beach staff or the bar. The restaurants were okay - certianly not world class, but a decent variety.

The water was shut off a few times - they said the city had identified the issue and were putting the final fixes in, so hopefully that's done with.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank billshaf
Plymouth, Michigan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 16, 2014 via mobile

The place is small when compared to say hard rock but service from the staff is incredible rooms are huge everything works .The beach is right there no long walks or golf carts to wait for. they pick you up and take you to airport worth75dollars by itself .The food is great but limited by small size of place but many bars restaurant right next door . Of course sales staff a little anxious but friendly and great source of local information . Would recommend this to any of my family or friends .my wife did not want to leave for her 2nd week at hard rock which fell short. Another review.

Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
Boston, Massachusetts
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 16, 2014

For a resort that has only been open for a couple months this was a great experiencing! The resort has plenty of chairs, beds, and cabanas on the beach for all the guests all with great spots either in the sun or shade. The three restaurants on the resort were all delicious, however if you are planning on longer trip you may be eating some of the same things twice. The employees are what really made this trip the best. Charlie, Felix, and Cappuccino were my families favorite and they really made you feel welcomed. They entertained you with plenty of games on the beach or even an aerobics lessons. Also the waiters on the beach Raul and Julio were so kind and always making sure we didn't need anything else.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank Bridget H
Washington DC, District of Columbia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 15, 2014

3 friends and I booked this trip in a rather spontaneous manner during a Black Friday Travelzoo sale. We got an exceptional rate and paid $684 each for 5 nights, all-inclusive, flights from DC, and even ground transfers to the resort and back to the airport upon check-out. Upon check in we were provided with a cool, crisp glass of champagne and "upgraded” to 2br 2ba suite. Now I used quotes because we originally had two separate reservations for 1 br units so we actually probably had less space going with the 2br “upgrade”. They showed us the room prior to us agreeing to it and the good thing about it was that we had a private rooftop patio that was super spacious, had a cabana and other furniture, and nice ocean views. The other units had smaller simple balconies. We were in building 3 which was nice but probably not as upgraded as the VIP suites which were closer to the ocean. The tradeoff in those rooms would have been the noise at night from the entertainment that often went until almost Midnight. I also found the apartment to be sparsely decorated. There was a model suite next door to us which was often left open and I peeked in there and it was SUPER nice compared to ours. Same layout and materials just better decorations, furniture, and fixtures. The kitchen was decent with all the needed appliances (no dishwasher). However, the white furniture was modern but stained. Unlike all the other units we had no blackout curtains or shades in ours which ensured we woke up to the sunlight by 8am on a daily basis. The beds were comfortable but firm. We encountered two immediate problems that needed to be rectified; a broken toilet in the smaller bathroom and the a/c wasn't working on one entire side of the apt. Luckily, maintenance was able to get that fixed in a decent amount of time. What we later learned was “fixed” meant that the air was all full blast with no way to adjust it or turn it off so it turned that bedroom into a Popsicle. In room Wi-fi was $15/day which I found to be outrageous, but at least it kept us from being too connected while on vacation. One major disappointment was there was NO Internet (free or paid) in the entire property for the first 24 hours. Unacceptable, even on vacation. When they got it back up there was fast free wi-fi in the lobby but limited connectivity. The free wi-fi on the beach didn’t appear to have limited connectivity but was SLOW.

In terms of dining there was two restaurants Kimonos (Japanese) and Decadence (American). There was also Tomato & Basil which was the outside patio of Decadence with a different Italian menu. Their food was the best to me, but dinner dessert was better at Decadence. In general the food was decent, nothing spectacular. Another night and we would have been bored of it. One night one of our companions got super sick and ended up going to the hospital, not sure what it was she ate, the rest of us were fine. To make dinner reservations you have to stand in line at 9:00am and line up 20min prior to get a spot. Who wants to do that on vacation? Some of the wines tasted cheap and watered down (and this coming from someone accompanied to 2-buck chuck yikes!), flat soda (poured from bottles vs. a tap), limited late night snack (burgers, fries, and hotdogs) and desert options (none at night). There was no room service or mini-bar in the room. Some of the staff sneakily encouraged VIP tours which were basically timeshare presentations with a different name. The staff was a mixed bag but most were very friendly and eager to serve. Beware when ordering cocktails as there is very little consistency between them one may taste completely different than the next even though you ordered the same thing lol! I was surprised at how limited the English of some of their staff was. I generally tipped all around even though the resort said gratuity was included unless service was "exceptional" as wages are meager here. The grounds were well kept and maintained if not as lush as some of the larger more expensive resorts. The resort was fenced and gated and they issue wristbands which identify you as a guest for safety. The resort was VERY well patrolled by friendly guards. It’d be nearly impossible to sneak on without a wristband. Bring singles as there is no change ($) in reception. One of the major pluses of the resort was super nice padded chairs and shaded cabanas on the beach which was not the case at many of the other resorts. The towels were also very soft and generous. Their animation team was affable enough though many of their skits were geared towards an older clientele. However, during the day they were always visible interacting with guests, playing volleyball on the beach, and being all around cute and friendly. The actual guests of the resort were varied in age. Also a nice mix of Latinos, islanders, Europeans, Canadians, and Americans.

Make sure you check in with the Amstar rep. Catalina? To learn about the DR, safety, and to book excursions. Best 15minutes ever. I've traveled extensively throughout Central and South America and this was by far the "roughest" resort area I've ever been to (off the grounds). I felt totally safe going off the resort during the day but there is really no town of Punta Cana and the resort area is much more spread out than say Cancun’s Zona Hotelera where tourist buses run up and down an immaculate, well-lit, patrolled, and pedestrian friendly strip and vacationers do a lot more “resort hopping.” At night even as a male I was dissuaded from going off the resort, even though I did one night just down the street to meet a friend. It was fine other than some stares, whistles, and cat calls lol. Female and male solicitation was observed just outside the gates of the resort at night and on the beach (to the left of the resort) also at night. After dark armed guards watched over closed businesses with a stern eye. It's clear that the DR is still a developing country and the situations of many of its people are dire, many Haitians have immigrated to the area for more opportunity. This resort could easily be 4*s with a few strategic changes. Nonetheless, I would readily visit again the atmosphere, the beauty and vivaciousness of the people, and the stunning weather and clear blue seas were a sight to behold.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
4 Thank White2tn
Raleigh, North Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 14, 2014

My girlfriend and I went to presidential suites for 5 nights and had a great experience. There were several on site restaurants to choose from and they all had amazing food. The service was great. All the staff was very friendly and really gets the people involved in activities. Capuchino, Felix, and Mini Me were our favorite ones. They did a great job. The front of the resort is gated and there were several guards on duty at all times, which made us feel safe. If we ever go back to Punta Cana, we would stay there again.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
The Tropical at Lifestyle Holidays Vacation Resort
ApartHotel Green Coast
ApartHotel Green Coast
#11 of 17 in Bavaro

Been to Presidential Suites - Punta Cana? Share your experiences!