“A Good Deal” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #49 of 110 Hotels in Punta Cana
Cotuit, Massachusetts
“A Good Deal”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 3, 2014

We found this deal through Cheaper Caribbean via TravelZoo.com. We were totally unfamiliar with the property and for that matter any property on the DR., but the price for 5/7 days was not much more than if we had simply booked flights to Pta. Cana. We had booked a single bedroom suite but were upgraded to what we would call a penthouse suite with two bedrooms, king/double with two full baths, a 22x22 living room, a kitchen very modestly equipped and private access via a circular stair to a private roof top equipped with chaise lounge chairs and a table. The entire facility was kept extremely clean. The beach and ocean was visible from the room. We turned off the AC for our entire stay and enjoyed the wonderful Caribbean breezes floating through the unit. The odor of a very recent paint job greeted us and we felt the unit must just have been refurbished. It was sans a safe, clothes hangars, hair dryer and telephone. We requested these items. The safe and hangars were brought to the apartment a couple of hours after we arrived. It took the hair dryer about three days to get installed after pestering the concierge every chance we got. The telephone never arrived. PS has a huge staff, for all aspects of their operation all of whom were very polite and service minded and who also responded positively to my broken Spanish. Many of the staff had a very limited command of English. Of special mention is Andres Silverio, Guest Services Concierge, who was very helpful. There are three restaurants. Decadence (Intl, cuisine), Basil and Tomatoes (Italian) and Kimonos (Japanese). Reservations are suggested for dinner and need to be made very early in the morning especially for Basil and Komonos. During our stay Decadence operated generally at about 50% capacity, or less, so we just showed up. The food at Decadence and Basil varied from very good to poor and was not consistent from time to time. The menu was limited and did not vary throughout the week. For instance, The first night we ordered a Sea Bass dish baked in a Banana leaf and a Tuscan pasta dish containing items like artichokes, capers, etc. The Sea Bass was outstanding with veggies cooked in the banana leaf with the fish and the Tuscan dish was very good. The next time we ordered the same dishes the fish was still excellent but the veggies, for what they were, were not cooked in the banana leaf and the Tuscan dish was sans the artichoke. At Basil the meat balls were large and very hard making it difficult to pierce them with a fork. No matter how we requested the food to be prepared it was always prepared as per the menu. For instance: There was a salmon dish prepared with a chipolte crust. We asked for the salmon to be served without the chipolte crust and cooked very rare. Neither of which happened on two separate occasions. Breakfast and lunch were buffet style and were very good to excellent with many items changing from day to day. The wine list was limited to one white and one red. Both the wines and the alcoholic drinks seemed to be weak, but one could order as much as one wished. There was nightly local entertainment on the beach which varied from good to bad. There was dancing nightly on the beach. Most of the music was disco style with some merenge and salsa. The electricity went off late one afternoon for 4 hours which meant no elevator or tap water. The staff provided candles which made it romantic. In previous life I lived in the Caribbean for 13 years so events like this are to be taken in stride. The beach facilities were very good.

2 Thank Stanley G

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (544)
  • Polish first
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 3, 2014

I just returned from my trip 3 days ago & couldnt wait to write a review. This has been by far the best vacation of my life despite what other people have stated on here I have absolutely no complaints. Front desk service was amazing they greeted us with champagne Helene & Marjorie were always more than happy to help with anything, they spoke english not that I have a problem since I speak fluent spanish but it helps with the non speaking spanish travelers. We were taken to our room by Eddie Gonzalez whom was extremely friendly & helpful he gave us a tour & made sure we were ok with the room before he left. We has a two bedroom suite which had the A.C on full blast as we arrived.

Once we got to the beach area everyone that we passed greeted us and smiled the second we sat down we had amazing service. It definitely was paradise we had lunch with the oceans view and our server told us about the drinks & offered her recommendations. We didnt get dinner reservations the first night but has a server named Pedro Martinez whom was the best server I have ever had he was beyond friendly & was always making sure we were taken care of, we statyed a week so from the first night until the last night he made sure everytime he seen us we were taken care of even when he wasnt our server.
Santos was the bartender on the beach who was always great & on top of us having drinks. Arismendis was a very sweet young worker who worked the night shift 3-11pm he was always checking up on us to see if we were ok and provided amazing service.

The entertaiment crew definitely made the stay more than worth it, everyday they had events on the beach vollyball, zumba, spanish classes & every night they had a different event. They get everyone involved & treat you like family. The were all so awesome its hard to say a favorite one, we loved Scoobys, Felix, Arrow, Charlie, & of course we cant forget Mini- Me's personalitys we became friends with them after being treated so amazingly by them. There was never a dull moment having them there with us and our vacation would not have been this amzing if they were not there.

I see a lot of people complaining about the sales people we have no complaints they would say hello to us and never bother us about signing up. Highly recommend going here on vacation I have not one regret and will definitely be coming back soon despite the 9 hour flight but the service we recieved is more than worth it.

Room Tip: Every room is perfect
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
3 Thank Lisette R
Wynnewood, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 2, 2014

We received an email promotion to stay here through Cheap Caribbean.com. We thought the deal was too good to be true but we were wrong! This hotel met and exceeded our expectations at every level. The accommodations were absolutely incredible. We were unexpectedly upgraded to a two bedroom suite and we simply could not get over it when we walked in. The hotel is newly refurbished so the rooms are absolutely pristine. Large, beautifully furnished, comfortable and clean. I can honestly say it's the nicest room I've ever stayed in, especially considering the price.

The staff could absolutely not have been nicer and in my mind is the best thing about the place. From Sandy at the front door of the lobby to Winnie serving drinks on the beach to Ramon maintaining a bottomless cup of coffee at breakfast in the morning, I have never witnessed a friendlier, more accommodating staff than I have at this place. They were tripping over each other to provide great service. Just to provide one example, early one morning, our tour bus didn't arrive to take us on an excursion. Milton at the front desk went totally out of his way to call the tour company and anyone else he could think of to find out what was going on.

And I would definitely be remiss if I didn't mention the "animation" (i.e. entertainment) staff. They are the best entertainment staff I have come across in this kind of venue. They had games, fun activities and aerobics classes during the day and then participate in the entertainment in the evening. I had one of the best times ever dancing with them on "Disco Night." Scooby Doo, Mini Me, Emily and Charley, you made our trip totally enjoyable. They seem to really enjoy their jobs and the owner of this hotel would be very wise to give them all raises.

The food and drinks were also outstanding. There are three restaurants at the hotel. although unfortunately we didn't get to go to one of them. The reservation system needs to be improved. They have buffets at breakfast and lunch. The food was plentiful and excellent and the eating stations were beautifully maintained. The dinner was sit down, with one main dining room with a great menu, a Japanese restaurant which was also excellent and an Italian restaurant which we didn't get to try. The drinks at this all inclusive were free flowing. In fact, the beach serving staff came over every few minutes to ask if I needed a drink. The bartenders at the beach bar were also amazing.

A few downsides. There is no gym or fitness center here. They really need to add something (especially with all of the eating we were doing). Also, the entertainment in the evening is fairly non-existent and frankly not very good. They close all of the bars down at 11 and there were a couple of nights we would have enjoyed staying up later drinking and chatting with some very nice people we met. Since this place is new, there are a few glitches. So for example, we had a plumbing problem one day (the shower leaked badly), but the front desk did send maintenance people over right away. Also we had a problem with our room keys one day (apparently everyone in the hotel did) and we were locked out of our room for a few hours. But again, the hotel staff worked diligently to get the problem resolved.

Now the real downside-- Because this hotel is part of a vacation club, you will have to endure a 1-2 hour sales pitch for the vacation club. There are people swarming around the hotel trying to get people to attend the sales pitch. It's really annoying but considering what an amazing deal we got for the trip, I was willing to put up with it. But if you do go there, you definitely need to be forewarned about this.

A word about Punta Cana itself. We have been to quite a few islands before but never here. It is stunningly beautiful. The beaches are beautiful, the weather was a gorgeous 75-85 degrees with a slight ocean breeze so we never felt hot. The water is a beautiful crystal clear blue (although a little cold in January). The people are some of the nicest, warmest people I've ever met. I would definitely go back and highly recommend it.

5 Thank Gigi L
Orlando, Florida
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 2, 2014

We are VIP members and were told that we would have many perks here, however we found that this property was set up for selling units, not for catering to members. They advertise three bars but two of them are in the sales offices. The remaining bar closed at 11PM nightly along with all entertainment. The unit was very large but in need of updating along with renovations. There are three restaurants from which to choose but only two are open at a time, with no menu changes whatsoever. The food was terrific however. And the staff was warm and welcoming. The top shelf beverages were limited which was disappointing after having stayed at a previous all-inclusive which had everything from which to choose along with a dozen restaurants, night life, street parties. etc. Were were told upon check-in that there was a dress code for dinner but were seated on plastic chairs in the sand next to tee shirts, bathing suits, sandals, hats, etc. No evidence of any dress code. Again, previously we dined in beautiful dining rooms with comfortable chairs, linens on the tables, etc. As far as the beach, we quickly nicknamed it HOOKER AND HAWKER BEACH. Kinda says it all. And the hawkers come right up to your chaise lounge when you are laying out. Jeez. So if you are looking for just peace and quiet, not dressing up, no beach walking, and great food, then by all means you may enjoy this resort. We will stay elsewhere next time.

Room Tip: Away from the beach is quietest
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
10 Thank Snoober2000
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 2, 2014

My husband and I stayed here just for a weekend Jan. 25-28th. I was very hesitant due to other reviews. I must admit I was more than pleasantly surprised. We stayed in Bldg 2 A large 2 bed/2 bath suite. You can tell it's a work in progress..but if your trip is for relaxation this is definitely a great spot. The staff was excellent, very nice and for dollar tips..they really kept the drinks coming. Drinks are not strong..but if you ask for a shot of your favorite rum you can solve that problem. They had entertainment every night. A full beach party night. They had yoga and volleyball every morning. Minus the sales pitch to purchase time share we would definitely go back.

• Stayed January 2014
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Natick, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 1, 2014

I just returned from Paradise with a friend. I have to say I was amazed at the quality of the resort. For the price we paid I was expecting just a place to lay our heads..it was just a quick getaway. We were so surprised to be greeted with happy smiling faces and champagne and then to be brought to our large 2 bedroom suite right on the pool with all amenities. We didn't spend much time in the suite but we each had our own room and bathroom which was great. The pool was beautiful although I preferred the beach with the elegant beds that could be closed off to the sun.....What a gorgeous beach and the water was beautiful. I don't typically stay at all inclusives so Im not sure what is the norm but.....I have to say what made our stay were the staff. I have never seen such a group of smiling , joyful, hard working people in my life. I heard several other travelers who said they had been all over the world commenting the same. There was constant activity going on raking the beach, fluffing the pillows on the beds, just a general happy feeling of activity. I felt like each one of them was there just to make my stay perfect. From Eddie Gonzalez who greeted us at the front entrance (Eddie was so wonderful the whole week) to Santo and Georgiana and JoseJoseJose - the afternoon shift at the Beach Bar to the icing on the cake - the Animation team. I feel like they alone would cause me to come back and buy a vacation package at the resort. Whatever they are being paid - they should double it as this group of guys and gals are so wonderful, entertaining , hardworking, friendly and talented. From Pedro Gomez aka Scooby Doo (my personal favorite member of the team) to Felix to Mini me to Arrow. These guys rock. They are on the resort at 9 am organizing games on the beach, leading aerobics classes beach Olympics (my team won!) and beach volleyball games and don't leave till late into the night after putting on spectacular shows. I am amazed at their energy and sheer joy. Always having a smile and getting to know each guest personally. I can say that they made the place feel like home and we actually were reluctant to leave the resort on some days due to the beautiful beach, fun times and service that was provided. I really feel that I showed up there anticipating a hotel room and left feeling like I was leaving "mi famillia". On the way home our flight was cancelled and the airline put us up in the Hardrock overnight. Oh my - what a difference!. I felt like we were at a giant mall. If you like huge resorts like this then PS is not for you. If you want an intimate boutique hotel where you get to know the other guests and the staff then go to PS. I would return to presidential suites in a heartbeat. (Can you tell I liked the place :) )

Room Tip: We were on the first floor and I would say that I would have preferred the second or higher. There...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
Cottage Grove, Wisconsin
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 1, 2014

Booked this trip because the price was amazing. Didn't know what to expect since there weren't many reviews. We were pleasantly surprised when we received a 2 room suite. However, our room was on the first floor where all of the sales people congregated. After 2 days we were switched to a room on the third floor which was just as nice, and now quiet. The wait staff was great. They were always asking us if we wanted drinks or food. We did not tip them and still received awesome service. However, at the end of our stay, we did tip the two that waited on us the most. We were very surprised that the dinner was not a buffet, but rather a sit down. The menu was the same the entire week we were there, but all of the food at Decadence was good. We are used to traveling at all-inclusives, and usually the food is only so-so. This food was very good. We were not quite as impressed with the Italian restaurant. Neither of us were fond of our meal there and did not go back again. The Japanese restaurant was also very good, and we ate twice at that restaurant. The cocktails were not bad. We did not get served top shelf because we were not VIP, but the frozen pina coladas and bahamama's were good. Shots were plentiful also. Be sure to try the B-52. The resort itself is small, however it is on the best beach in the area. We walked a lot of the beach there, and the staff at the Presidential was on top of keeping the beach in pristine condition. The pools sit between the two buildings which is a big negative if you are a pool person. The sun only hits the pools for a few hours in the afternoon and the pool water was very cold. This didn't bother us as we spent our time at the beach where they have extremely comfortable lounge chairs and beds. The resort shares their water sports with the hotel next door, which worked out fine. We went out sailing on the hobie cat twice. We didn't have to wait long, and we could go out for as long as we wanted. We did discover that it is very very shallow out by the reef. The entertainment staff was also great. Scooby and the rest of the team was always interacting with the guests. The put on shows every night also. The one negative at this resort is that the shut down the bar at 11 right when the show was over. They should keep at least one bar open until at least midnight. There was the VIP bar, but we weren't allowed in there. The only bars were in the restaurant and on the beach, which even though the resort isn't big, it was a long walk for a drink. We did venture the the Vista Sol resort next door after 11:00 and went to their disco. No one there questioned us about wristbands and we had fun there. Others tried going there on other occasions and were turned away. The Presidential should have a bar open and some music or so for those that aren't in bed early. We really enjoyed this vacation. It was probably one of the best we had, and we have traveled quite a bit. Oh, one last thing. Remember you are not in the states. The quality of the hotel rooms is not what you will find in the US. However, they could make some minor adjustments such as screwing faucets down, removing excess grout and pencil lines, and finding a way so that the water from the shower does not run all over the bathroom.

2 Thank 4msandad
The Tropical at Lifestyle Holidays Vacation Resort
ApartHotel Green Coast
ApartHotel Green Coast
#11 of 17 in Bavaro

Been to Presidential Suites - Punta Cana? Share your experiences!