“Great family vacation”

Ranked #4 of 110 Hotels in Punta Cana
GreenLeadersSilver level
“Great family vacation”
Reviewed August 22, 2014

We traveled to The Reserve with a family group of 16. Eight adults and eight children. We were greeted at the registration desk by our concierge, Staben. He suggested restaurants that we might enjoy and made reservations at each of them for us. He also arranged a special birthday celebration for our grandson and a special anniversary celebration for my son and his wife. He was very much available when we needed him and even checked in on our group on his own. He assistance definitely made the whole experience go more smoothly and we tried restaurants that we probably would not have had he not been available to make suggestions.

The resort was beautiful, the pools were not crowded, and we could easily get a golf card to transport us from the Reserve section of the resort to the main buildings and the beach and back. There was an odd smell on these trips that was not so pleasant.

This was a great place for a large group traveling together, very spacious and all-inclusive. The scuba diving was okay although our new divers though it was fabulous. It was difficult getting information in advance as to how many dives were included in our package although that was resolve when we visited the dive shop. Edwin was fabulous in training our new divers for their Discover Dive and was very conscientious about checking up on them during their dives.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank Marie S
Rafael T, General Manager at The Reserve at Paradisus Palma Real, responded to this review, September 2, 2014
Dear guest,

Thank you so much for your very kind words reviewing your recent stay at The Reserve at Paradisus Palma Real.

I feel so happy that you have shared your recent vacation experience with us. Furthermore, I am absolutely delighted to read how much you enjoyed the service provided by Staben and Edwin and it will be my pleasure to share your positive comment with them and my entire team.

We hope to have the pleasure to welcome you back at The Reserve at our property.

Paradisus Resorts DR

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,423)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Punta Cana
Reviewed August 22, 2014

It was a beautiful place. Absolutely breath taking! But the lack of service when you are dining makes the beauty of it all less appealing. You spend a lot of money for a 5star resort and get better service at chick-fil-a! Beds are NOT queen. They are double. To fit two average size adults in a double is a joke. We are not overweight at all. Even two teenagers together was stretching it. Advertised queen. So we were disappointed. Food was average. Except for Bana , Mizu and Vento. They were exceptional. They could learn a lot from Disney! If you have ever vacationed Disney you know what I mean. Customer service is a key area of opportunity here. You expect more than just a pretty place. Some do go above and beyond to do things for you.Seek them out and you will do well, others don't care!

Review collected in partnership with Melia Hotels International

3 Thank Jacqueline M
New York City, New York
Reviewed August 21, 2014

this is the 7th time i write about this hotel and somehow trip advisor delete it for some reason.

After planning our vacations for a year and reading wonderful reviews I told my hubby that we just found what we was looking for... upon arrival orlando gave us a warm welcome and asigned udy as our guidance, everything was perfect talking about service and the beauty of the hotel.

At night before going to have dinner at the beach the housekeeping went twice to fix my son's bed and bring some extra pillows, my husband gave her 1 dollar tip cuz we didn't have change, I brought in my wallet US$200 in 50 bill and my husband RD$10,000 in 2,000 bills. Before going out of the room I graved both wallets to take with us, but I told my hubby nah lets leave it here cuz no one is going to come here. We went to have dinner at the main hotel to experience the beach dinner that sound it interesting, but nothing special only cold grilled lobster and poor light...

The next morning after an excellent resting night I told my hubby to change US$50 in singles for tips and my surprise was that my wallet was EMPTY!!!! Along with my husband's too... I was nervous, paranoid and shaking WE GOT ROBBED!!! (And it was the night before cuz when my hubby tip the housekeeping his money was there and mine too)

Immediately we went to the front desk looking for some resolution )thinking of my private patio 1st floor super expensive suite) we met yohenmi who was rly nice but not diligent to fill a ROBBED COMPLAIN SHEET!!! Really???? They sell this hotel supposedly for FAMILIES and u sleep in a unsecured suite???

They send a security guard to investigate along with another unprofessional lady to check my room and ask ? ... I was really upset, mad and disappointed my dreams vacations turn into a nightmare, they told the investigation last 48 hrs to see if someone break in to the room but seeing that we where there only until Sunday and I tas Friday they say by tomorrow at noon we have a report for you. When also we discovered that my key was missing, that one of the door did not lock and in the patio it was a wide hole in between bushes that any person can fit easily to come into our suite... and they are a safe boutique hotel???

I was trying to calm down for the safe of my pregancy and my older (10 yrs) and younger (14 months) cuz they where having so much fun. This embarrassing situation was all over me and my mind, stressing me out and my husband... after lunch at the gabi beach I asked to speak with someone who can help us in our lost, rigth there I met Genaro a person very understanding but I wanted to speak with the director and here's come LAURA ALEGRE the most unprofessional, arrogant, rude, disrespectful, with attitude, no manners and NO HEART!!! She was only asking me why we didn't use the safe??? I was like why do I need to use it if it was money for tips and jet ski??? For me something valuable is my wedding ring that is worth US$15,000 grand....

I spent part of my whole day at the front desk fustrated and this unprofessional lady LAURA ALEGRE try to bribe us by offering private family dinner at the pool side wich cost US$150 per person (in her own words) and gifts for the kids wich I Didn't Accept!! Really??? She wanted to bribe us just to avoid that others guests didn't notice the scandal??? NO WAY WE WHERE ROBBED AND SHE DIDN'T DO ANYTHING JUST BRIBE US!!! She don't even try to help me or understand our lost.... to be the director she needs to learn first how to be humble, human and know how to listen.

After all we deside to stay that night since we didn't want to alarm my mom and make her come from santo domingo at evening time. That night I couldn't sleep and the following day at 11:00am we went to the front desk to see the report, they say no one break into our room and I got super upset and in a high tone of my voice I told them that of course the thief didn't use the front door he or "she" came from the private patio of our suite in that order LAURA ALEGRE came into action asking me to low my voice or else she will proceed our check out saying they have the right of admission and I told her : That right my husband paid it at the time of our reservation!!! What they didn't want is that others guests notice that here at the reserve there's thief!!! She only opened her eyes and was triying to intimidate me and discriminate against me because I was saying the true!!!

This is unbelievable after they robbed you in your own suite she wanted me to keep my mouth shut??? I kept saying that they robb and they also cover many more worst things stayed by the same employees where they say that what happened to me is nothing in comparison to what usually happens....

At that moment I asked her to stay away from me and she was confronting me in front of my husband and other guests, finally after I asked her she decide to leave alone and then Yohenmi came across to talk to me and I told him that I wanted my money back and he say of course but only the night we didn't consume after being robbed the first but that's ok I wouldn't stay robbed and aldo paying for the WORST VACATION OF OUR LIVES!!!!

I called my mom around noon and she travel fron santo domingo to bavaro (they say is punta cana but im from dr and the location of this resort is bavaro) to come to pick us up, Yohenmi told me to stay with my suite until my mom arrive that was around 5:30pm with no problem, because he really understood my position.

He started the one night refund (wich we waited 15 business day to get it back on our discover card after almost 20 phone calls from ny) and we where sooo Happy That we're finally leaving the nightmare!!!!

We enjoyed Santo Domingo to the max and also San Francisco de Macoris, that if I would read the bads reviews this never happened... but that's life and in our experience it wasn't safe at all.

CONGRATS TO: ORLANDO, RUDY, YOHENMI AND GENAO ALONG WITH ALL THE STAFF FOR A PROFESSIONAL, AND OUTSTANDING CUSTOMER SERVICE!!!

To all of the readers: Go to another place to spend your money or be aware of using the safe and checking every single detail of your suite. Also expect anything worst than what happened to us!!!

P.S.: even the food is nothing special, quality but not varieties.
And never got and apologies from no one of the melia resorts, because this type of incident they just wanted to delete it!!!

I hope my review can help others!!! From the bottom of my humble heart to those who want to know the true!!!

The lizardo-Terrero Family
June 26/ june 28 suite 5008

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
7 Thank Karla T
Porto Alegre, Brazil
Reviewed August 21, 2014

We've payed U$ 1000 for an upgrade and it earned every cent! The room was really big, with 2 jacuzzi and kids could sleep in a different ambient so we could have some privacy at night. Food is good and you have a lot of options. Comparing with other hotels at the same area, it beats because of its kids pool and kids zone. It's a small hotel but part of a huge one that you can also use as if you were a guest. Family concierge helped with reservations and with food for the baby. Bad parts were to take a golf car to get to the beach and to some of the restaurants (imagine the operation with a stroller!). If you are traveling with baby, make sure they give you a 1st floor room cause there are no elevators!

• Stayed August 2014
3 Thank Carolstapenhorst
Dear guest,

I would like to thank you for selecting us as your vacation destination. It is a pleasure to me to hear your comments about our facilities and the great service you have received from our staffs. I will personally pass on your compliments to them.

We cannot wait to welcome you back to celebrate your next vacation

Shaker Heights, Ohio
Reviewed August 20, 2014

This was an amazing resort, the rooms were great, elegantly decorated, we were a party of 6 rented two rooms. Plenty of space, with a patio and a Bali bed in our suite. The people were really nice, Aqua, Gabi club, Gabi beach was great. Many activities to choose from. The kids club was nice many nice activities for the kids, some good activities for the adults. The beach this time of the year had some algy, the hotel really try to clean it, the pools were great, the service by the pool was good. We were traveling with my in-laws who also had a great time.
The casino was nice, the people at the front desk were great accomodating our request for the restaurants. I took some Pilates classes (great), some spining (great). Some of the entertainment activities by Edwin and Carlos-- were great (Edwin did a great Zumba class, and we were always looking forward to his aqua gym class). There was spining in the pool (amazing). We participated in some great classes like (learn how to make sushi- THank you Carlos) and wine tasting class (by Carlos and Octaviano)-- really nice and fun.
Some of the beach parties at night were great. There was live music every day. We all had a great time, I think is a great time for families, friends, they also have an adult only section (in the royal service) that is really nice.I have to say that the buffet at the Palma Real was not good (or just not enough waitress to help, it took a while to get any drinks, food was just ok there). All the a la carte restaurants were good-- Vento and Aqua were great. Loved it!

Room Tip: If you are not a club melia member, the royal service is great.
3 Thank onvacationwithkids
Dear guest,

Allow me to express my thankfulness to you and your family for sharing your recent experience at our hotel. At the Reserve Paradisus Palma Real one of our main priorities is to ensure our guest' satisfaction.

I feel also honored to know that you enjoyed our service end facilities and that we exceed your expectation during your holiday’s experience. Thank you for your appreciation toward the service provided by Edwin, Carlos and Octavino, I will definitely pass your greetings to them.

Once more, thank you so much for having selecting The Reserve Paradisus Palma Real and we really hope to have you at our property in your future vacations.

Rafael Torres,
Washington, DC
Reviewed August 19, 2014

First, the positives
Rooms are spacious and elegant. had a two bedroom suite for a family of four: really two connected units. Plenty of space. Two balconies.
Property is gorgeous, except for sulphur stink around swamps.
Gym is decent, but towels scratchy.
Passions, the Michelin starred restaurant is excellent. It was so good, we ate there twice.
Now the not so good news. There is little understanding of excellent service. When you are asked if you want coffee, it is served without spoons to stir it and no napkins.
Towels can be scratchy.
They try to get you to go on a sales pitch when you arrive, but they would be much better off making sure the service is excellent first. I would never consider buying into this chain. They don't know what good service is.
We tried to get a good restaurant reservation our first night, and we were given reservations to an almost empty restaurant.
Food is good at Mizu, and the service is better. But the food is only good, not great.
Instead of waiting till you leave the room, the rooms are cleaned on a set schedule.
At the Spa, we ordered treatments in advance, but both times they got the orders wrong. Before finishing with us, they started to help the next people who walked into the building. The massage itself was very good. But not to get the order right twice when we made the requests in person?
if you are used to the Ritz, Anse Chastanet, Round Hill, you will be terribly disappointed here. They try, but they can't seem to get it right. Our needs were often not quite met, much less anticipated.

If they want to improve hire someone who knows customer service, and learn it all from top to bottom.

8 Thank travelsonitsstomach
Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to express your perception regarding your recent stay at The Reserve at Paradisus Palma Real. In our effort to improve the level of our services, we put the utmost interest in our guest´s opinion you may rest assured that I took a good note of your observations.

Again, thank you for your comment and we hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you again at our property.

Best Regards,

New York
Reviewed August 19, 2014

This was our second annual trip to this resort, we are a party of 12, with ages ranging from 13-82. Our positive experience started the week prior to arrival as Laura (The Reserve Manager) and Genaro Gil assisted with last minute requests, as we were traveling with my in-laws who were 80+ years of age.

Upon Arrival from the airport Genaro and our concierge (Staben Roque) greeted us at the front entrance. It was a small touch, but greatly appreciated as we felt as if we were "back home". Over the course of our stay (8 days) we felt as if we were in paradise. The food was above average to delicious (Vento, Gabby Beach), the grounds were beautiful, transportation to/from the main hotel was like clockwork. All the bartenders made delicious drinks, and even took requests on some American favorites like Gray Goose Kamikazes. Want to give a special shout out to our Reserve bartender "Gustavo" who is a fellow Yankee fan and made the most delicious drinks, even though he surprised me half the time. Be sure to bring some singles and tip the staff. They will provide you with good service regardless, but its greatly appreciated.

But the main reason our trip was so wonderful was do to our concierge Staben. He made sure to take care of everyone's needs in our party. We happen to have several birthday's in the group that week, so he surprised us one night with a delicious birthday cake, and had the whole staff of Gabby Beach sing happy birthday. He left a special gift for my wife in the room on her birthday, and invited us to a special family dinner at the Hydro Grill which included steak and lobster. Everyone was wonderful, but he is the main reason we will probably come back for a third year in a row.

I would have gave the experience a five star rating if it wasn't for the abundance of seaweed in the ocean. It not the resorts fault of course, but they could have done a better job of cleaning it off the beach like on the surrounding resorts. When we took a walk on the beach and we always knew where our hotel was on the way back, as we just looked for all the seaweed on the beach.

1 Thank joseph c
Rafael T, General Manager at The Reserve at Paradisus Palma Real, responded to this review, September 1, 2014
Dear Joseph,

I would like to extend you my gratitude for selecting us to celebrate your vacation, and for sharing the impressions of your recent stay with us. Thank you for your appreciation toward Genaro Gil, Gustavo and Staben, I am glad to know that they assisted you during your vacation experience.

It will be always a pleasure to welcome you back in this your second home, The Reserve at Paradisus Palma Real.

Kind regards,