“The perfect resort for the entire family”

The Reserve at Paradisus Palma Real
Ranked #3 of 112 Hotels in Punta Cana
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed July 13, 2014

This was our 2nd stay at a Reserve at Paradisus hotel. Last year, we were at the Reserve at Paradisus Punta Cana, and this time two weeks at the Reserve at Paradisus Palma Real. The resort was just fantastic: spacious and tasteful rooms, beautiful grounds, different restaurants with something for every taste, and a breathtaking beach. Our kids (2 and 4) especially liked the kids pool, the kids club, the golf carts that take you to the beach, the jacuzzi on the balcony, the evening entertainments in the Plaza Colonial, and the staff that had always time for them. And my wife and I especially liked that there was always more than enough space everywhere (in our room, the restaurants, at the pool, at the beach), the food and drinks, and of course the more than friendly staff. We especially appreciated our chats with Angela Mercedes, Keila Castillo and Virginia Alvarez, Juan Nunez and Jorge Vasquez, the special meals that Miguel Carpio, Emmanuel Ceverino and Julio Flores from the Hidro Grill prepared for us, and the attention and presents we received from the hotel manager Laura Alegre. We’ll definitely be back. Holidays can’t get any better.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled with family
3  Thank Oliver K
There are newer reviews for The Reserve at Paradisus Palma Real

Reviewed July 13, 2014

We just spent 8 days at The Reserve and had an amazing time. There are so many fantastic things to comment on:

1. Family Concierge: Our FC, Laura Castillo, was so kind, helpful and just overall amazing. She found us several times a day to make sure everything was okay and managed to orchestrate several lovely surprises. She had champagne for us at the beach for our anniversary, gave the kids coloring books, scented pillows and just overall lots of love. She arranged reservations for us at the restaurants and the spa. If we come back, and we are tempted, we would want to have her as our FC again. I want to mention that Andy, another FC, was also helpful to us.

2. The room: The room was spacious and clean. Warning-the floors are slippery when wet. Use the slippers and clean up any spills right away. Our minibar was always stocked and we had lovely turn-down service every night. The swim up suites are really super, although we didn't get one because our son can't swim.

3. The beach: Fine, white sand with a separate area for Reserve guests and Club Melia members. Our FC reserved a spot for us every day we wanted to go to the beach. The water is warm and shallow, but does have quite a bit of seaweed. It's part of the environment, but some people find it bothersome. There were lots of people parasailing and kayaking, but no one windsurfing. You can get service on the beach if you catch one of the numerous guys working there, but generally they will not come to "take your order". If you ask, they will bring you whatever kind of drink you want. There are some people walking the beach to try to sell things (portraits, parasailing, excursions), but it's minimal.

4. The restaurants: We are fans of food, so I think a long review is important regarding this. It's always questionable what one will get at an all-inclusive, but we were quite happy.
-Gabi Club is the main buffet at The Reserve. It's varied and caters to many nationalities. There were always many fresh fruits, salads, different breads and cheeses. Omelets/eggs to order in the morning, usually something on the grill in the afternoon. I really enjoyed the guava paste and manchego and my husband had smoked salmon on brown bread every day. Our son ate cupcakes incessantly....they are available at every meal.
-Hydrogrill is the small restaurant by the pools at The Reserve. The ceviche is excellent. Grouper with lime and onion; definitely our favorite dish. They have fried calamari which was good but no tentacles (the best part, no?) and salads, burgers, etc. We would have enjoyed some grilled calamari, but there was none. One day there was a sushi spread. The service is generally good at these places but sometimes the wait staff seems to get confused. Once we got double orders because 2 different waiters served us...this isn't bad, but we didn't want to waste the food. Another time they asked us to move but then seemed to forget that we hadn't ordered. Small things, very small things.
-Market Grill is the buffet by the beach at the main hotel. Nothing exciting except the paella which was really good. Typical fare. Huge burgers!
-Gabi Beach Club-we ate here once for lunch. The food was good, but service very strange. They got some orders wrong and it was a little slow. Forgot our friend's food then brought the wrong thing. But, they were very nice so it's hard to be mad. This is free for The Reserve but extra money for regular guests.
-Passion is the adults only restaurant with a tasting menu. It's an extra $60 per person with $25 for wine pairings. My husband and I really enjoyed this. The food was tasty, the service was excellent and it seemed like a good value. The wines are mostly Spanish with some interesting varietals.
-Bana-This restaurant has three sections. We went to the sushi part of Bana (there is an Asian fusion and Teppanyaki area). It was okay, but somewhat limited menu. We had some tasty sake and good salmon temaki. Perfectly fine but pretty basic menu. Good miso soup.
-Aqua-This restaurant is touted as Mediterranean fusion. They serve the same ceviche as the HydroGrill which was lovely. We had lobster tagliatelle but one friend had pork which he said was overdone. In general, fish is great, meats tend to be on the more well-done side. We had a nice bottle of Spanish wine.
-Mizu-the Teppanyaki restaurant at The Reserve. Fun show, food was average. Tasted sort of one-dimensional.
-Vento-this restaurant is also considered Mediterranean fusion and is in the same area as Passion. We had grouper and lamb and thought both were excellent. Our daughter had gnocchi, which I think might have been spinach gnocchi, and it was very good. This restaurant requires long pants and closed shoes for men as does Aqua and Passion.

5. The spa-I had a massage, a facial and a body scrub at the spa. It's a beautiful place and the spa also includes several hydrotherapy pools. I felt a little bit like they were trying to sell me on some products but they will take no for an answer easily. The gym is next door and has bikes, treadmills, ellipticals and weights. I went most days around 7:30 am and it was not busy. Went once at 4:30, also not busy.

6. Club Melia presentation: We were approached by a very nice woman who gave us several "resort credits" in exchange for listening to a presentation about the Club. The resort credits can be applied to wine, spa services, the GabiBeach restaurant and the casino. I was able to use $150 toward spa services and $20 toward wine. We did go for the presentation and spent time with a rep over breakfast. He explained it to us and my husband heard a little bit about the financing but overall, he was not pushy. We went to a time-share in Mexico, Club Sol in 2009 and I've never heard such a hard sell in my life. Here, it felt like much less pressure. If you don't want to do it, you can say no.

7. Pools-the surface by the kids pool is very, very slippery. Bring pool shoes for your kids. Our son, who is rather rambunctious, fell and hit his head pretty hard. Be very aware of the slippery surfaces and walk carefully, children and adults alike.

Overall, it's a beautiful, clean, well-staffed resort that made us feel very well-taken care of. I think the family concierge makes a big difference in the service especially if you don't speak Spanish.

3  Thank DrAMack
Reviewed July 13, 2014

We just came back back from the Reserve where we had two master suites on the third floor (one free upgrade and the other that I paid for). Our party included five adults and my two-year-old daughter. The hotel is managed really well. Laura Algere, the general manager, is always visible on the property (in the lobby, during breakfast, in the kids zone) and was quick to respond to an issue we had with our upgrade and even left some sweets in our room afterwards. The property is laid out really well so that we could always find a private nook for our family to swim even when this hotel was at 98% capacity. This hotel did not nickel and dime us. There were no extra surcharges for certain food at the restaurants (other than $60pp at Passions which was understandable given the high caliber of food), a lot of the activities (i.e., handicrafts, shows) in the kids zone were free, the water ritual in the spa (cold and hot plunge pools in an adults only serene environment) is free even if you do not get a body treatment, and the use of computers in the air-conditioned lounge area are free (which makes up for the spotty internet in the rooms).

Staff - Our guest services rep, Gabriel, made our stay stress-free. His professionalism, enthusiasm and ability to predict our needs was really amazing. We did not upgrade to the family concierge service but he made sure that all of our needs were met including a getting a microwave, pushing back a dinner reservation last minute, and changing restaurants altogether on another night, arranging transportation to the airport. To top it off, he made a bubble bath with balloons for my daughter who loved it! I never had to walk far to be greeted with a smile from him. I know that he had a lot of other families in his care but the attention that he gave us made us feel like we were his only clients.

Restaurants - The food was very good, especially the fish at the a-la-carte restaurants. For breakfast, we enjoyed the buffets at Gabi Club and at Market Grill on the main resort (right off of the beach). For lunch, we really enjoyed hydro grill (calamari, grouper with fish and vegetables, ceviche, nachos). For dinner, we liked Aqua (pumpkin and tomato soups, grouper, salmon); Gabi Beach on the main resort (lobster), Vento (morrocan cream soup,marlin, and a variety of very unique desserts). The food and service at Passions was great and worthy of any foodie's experience. Mizu Tappenyaki was fun but the food was a little salty for our taste (hint: you don’t need both soy sauce and salt in fried rice). The dinner buffet was ok. All the food was served with so much positive energy, sense of humor and pride that it really made the dining experiences that much more exceptional.

Kids Food - They have a kids menu which includes chicken fingers, fried rice, and spaghetti but you could request anything. My family asked for mac-n-cheese (not on the menu) at Aqua for my daughter one night and i have seen hotdogs served at other meals, but she really enjoyed the fishes generally. The kids zone have their own food buffet at lunch and at night (fries, rice, chicken, vegetables). If she was still hungry, we ordered room service which was fast (pizza, spaghetti, wraps sandwiches, fruit plates, and desserts).

Bar - The bartenders were really professional. A shout out to Ramon Fuego of Sky Bar who is great with kids and the bartenders of the bar next to Vento and Passions for their artisan drinks.

Beach - We went to the beach early right after breakfast and had no issues getting 6 lounge chairs under 2 umbrellas. It was really quiet until about 11am. There is a little bit of seaweed which didn’t bother us. It looked like the beach had been raked. The sand is very fine (reddish tint) and quite beautiful.

Golf - Golf was expensive at $55pp and don’t know if it was worth it The golf carts to the main resort were plentiful (never waited for more than 4 minutes) but the transportation to the golf course is less frequent and my family had to wait at least 30 minutes.

Evening activities - We loved that the Reserve was relatively quiet compared to the loud music at the main resort. The reserve has live music at 9pm and a kids activity usually at 7pm (i.e., clown show which we missed). One night we went to the main resort for the Lion King musical.

Things we wished we knew: Ask for an activities schedule for the main pool and ask for a separate activities sheet for the kids zone. We didn’t realize they had a schedule until the third day. Finally, bring bug spray and use it. We brought some with us but got complacent and didn’t use it. the resort does a good job managing mosquitoes but we got bit anyway.

4  Thank mswoojie
Reviewed July 12, 2014

I just stayed here from July 7-11 with my seven year old daughter and it was the best trip we have ever had. I really don't know where to start to extend my gratitude for the most relaxing vacation. We did not want to leave. First off thank you to Andy Constante, the most wonderful family concierge, for putting up with me and all my indecision. Your patience was astounding! You provided the best service and hospitality. Also, thank you to Christian, who upgraded us to a swim up suite after a transportation error landed us initially at their sister property. The upgrade was well worth the inconvenience and I jumped for joy (literally) at getting the suite. Also, a big thank you to Marina Nunez for solving any problems or inconveniences. You are truly the best manager and the property is lucky to have you. I meant it when I said I will be back, based truly on the property being invested in our good time and pleasure. More thank you's later but now for the 411…

This is one of the most aesthetically beautiful hotel in the world. The whole property is filled with beautiful lounge cabanas with plush thick mattresses to read, sleep, or lounge by the pool or restaurants. It is surrounded by so many loungers your head will spin. Pure luxury! And if you need a lounger moved closer to the pool to watch your child they will do that too! Also the beach cabanas are too beautiful for words. Definitely use the concierge to reserve one and spend your day being waited on in paradise. Our suite was amazing too. We had an outdoor jacuzzi, a whole cabana, and two large lounge chairs just in our outdoor area for our private use. Plus housekeeping was constantly cleaning up the immaculate room. Great job! The property itself if enormous, but my daughter and I loved taking the golf carts to the Gabi Beach restaurant, the beach, and the pool at the main hotel too. If you stay at the reserve, please check out the main pool one day with your kids too. They will love it ! We never had to wait too long for transportation and the drivers were really friendly. The Dominican hospitality can't be beat. All the staff we met were kind, friendly, and patient.

The spa is a bit pricey, but you must go there! Please listen to me on this. It is so well decorated, zen, and peaceful that it is worth it. I can get a massage anywhere, but the hot and cold plunge pools and zen fountains are not to be missed under any circumstance. Also after your treatments you can take a private outdoor shower. Just gorgeous. I hope I have her name right, Evelena?, I'm not sure but she was a phenomenal masseuse. My daughter also got a mani/pedi and braids and her price already included the gratuity. They have a special kids spa menu, but I didn't realize it till our third day, so please ask for it if you want to treat your child. Duquermin Vasquez is the receptionist and Arabelle de la Rosa is the manager. They will take good care of you.

We did the horseback riding on the beach and the complimentary snorkel trip. I was a bit scared with my seven year old on such a big horse because she is not an experienced rider, but Ernesto stayed with her the entire time. The snorkeling was a blast too and we had several kids on the boat who enjoyed it very much. You will see a bunch of boats anchored out if you look from the beach and there is a nice reef out there and that's where the boat takes you. It's free but you MUST sign up right away as they are always full and may make you wait two days to get on the list. Go to the green shack next too Gabi Beach restaurant because that's where all the water sports are. They also have kayaks and catamarans that are free, but you must take a lesson to use the catamaran by yourself if you don't know how. Again, sign up for this right away. One thing we didn't have time to do, but I heard was great fun was the sailing trip to swim with nurse sharks and stingrays. Next time for sure! Also the adults looked like they had a blast on the paid, longer sailing trips too. We just didn't have enough time.

Don't miss the exercise classes at the gym near Yhi Spa and look for the schedule when you get there. Also look for the activities schedule for things like pool Zumba, volleyball, and other activities. This is a completely different schedule and that can be very confusing. There is so much offered, but it's hard to find out about it right away without asking. It took me a day and a half to figure that out. You have to know what to ask for so take your time asking about ALL the activities or you will miss out on some fun things. BTW the instructors are great!

Kids club looked really nice, but they need to do a better job of encouraging your child to participate. Also, the reserve really needs some sort of outdoor night time activity or entertainment for the kids and parents too. The did have some music at Gabi Beach, but if you wanted to have a drink and enjoy the property at night and were traveling with children there was nothing to keep them entertained and it was too quiet early. Some games or something interactive would be a nice addition. Just till 9P or 10P. It's a huge property so there was plenty of space.

I really enjoyed Aqua and Hydro Grill. The chefs at Hydro would make anything you asked for and the bartenders were fantastic at the Reserve. At the main property I heard Market Grill was good and Gabi Beach has great ambience. A special thank you to Christian, Yuberis, and Lemuel for always being nice and providing such good service. Also with kids some items are not listed on the kids menu - just ask! They will try to provide it, but it may not be advertised.

The Reserve is much quieter than the main hotel and seems very safe and fun for children, but also very romantic if you were a couple. There are more activities at the main hotel, but we much preferred The Reserve. We met other single parents traveling too who enjoyed it very much.

There is no wifi in the rooms and that is something I think they should fix. You have to go to the lobbies.

To sum it up…if you want something at The Reserve, just ask! Service was superb! I wish we were still there.

Room Tip: 5301 was our swim up suite. It was near the end and very private and quiet. Truly lovely.
5  Thank Onni Andrea V
Rafael T, General Manager at The Reserve at Paradisus Palma Real, responded to this reviewResponded July 13, 2014

Dear Onni Andrea,

It is a real pleasure for me to know that you have enjoyed all the benefits, services, and special amenities of being Family Concierge guests. I would like to thank you for appreciating the friendliness and dedication of our staff.

Thank you for preferring The Reserve at Paradisus Palma Real and we will be waiting for another wonderful vacation.

Kind regards,

Reviewed July 11, 2014

The Paradisus is a great place that accommodates to all needs - young and old. The staff spoke multiple languages and went out of their way to assist. Since it was an all inclusive resort, there was no push to tip or get extra from guests. It was great. GO!

Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Owusuek

Dear Guest,

First of all I would like to thank you for having shared your impressions. I feel proud and grateful to hear that your experience with us left a memorable impression on you.

We hope to have the pleasure to host you again at this, your second home in Punta Cana.

Kind regards,

Reviewed July 11, 2014

My husband, my son, and I just came back from our vacation at The Reserve. It was great. The hotel is located far away from the street on many acres of land. There is security at the street entrance, so no non-registered guests cannot get in. Next to the hotel there was a mall, which was nice. We went and did some shopping in the afternoon.
The Reserve is not located on the beach. To get to the beach, you will need to get a five minute ride on a golf cart or walk to a "main hotel," the sister property Palma Real. When you stay at The Reserve, you get access to both The Reserve and Palma Real. When you stay at Palma Real, you get access only to Palma Real.
The Reserve was very clean. You can practically eat off the floor. The staff was friendly. I thought the food was good. It was better than what I make at home. The pools were huge with all kinds of fountains and seemed like they never ended.
Our room was great. We stayed at the one bedroom suite on the second floor. Both The Reserve and Palma Real have 742 rooms, and I was surprised to hear that both hotels were sold out as they did not seem crowded at all. Many times my son and I had the swimming pool all to ourselves. At night the hotel lights up with candles and looks even more amazing. My son liked the pond with the flamingos at Palma Real.
The hotel had several perks that made it stand out. For one, we had our personal concierge who made us all the dinner reservations. We had our own hot tub on the balcony. You could ask your personal butler to prepare a bath in it with different aromas. Then they had a "pillow menu," and you could choose any pillow you wanted, whether it was the one with a special aroma or an orthopedic one.
There is also some rooms for improvement. The biggest disappointment was the beach. It was so dirty from the seaweed that we could not swim in it. The seaweed was not only on the sand at the shore line, but also in the ocean itself. Another suggestion I would make would be for the pool bar staff. They should ask guests relaxing on the beach and near the pool what they wanted to drink and collect any empty plastic cups laying around.
If your concierge asks you to come to breakfast, be prepared that it will be a sales pitch about their Club Melia, aka timeshare. My husband and I did not even bother to go.
Tips go a long way with the staff. Bring lots of small bills with you.
Overall it was a great vacation.

Reviewed July 10, 2014

My entire family gathered for one of my brother's who got married on the beach on June 30, 2014.
We had fantastic service from Victor Medino who made sure we all had to want for anything.
The entire staff was very friendly and always greeted us with a smile. We had such a great experience that none of us wanted to leave.
We are already wanting to book our next trip hopefully next year!
Thank you for making our family trip amazing! We will remember it for the rest of our lives.
Much love!!

Stayed: June 2014, traveled with family

Dear Guest,

I am very pleased to know that your family had a wonderful stay with us and it is a real honor for me to hear your comments about the exceptional service you have received from Victor Medina. I will personally pass on your comments to him.

The Reserve team is going to be more than glad to welcome you back for a next awesome vacation.

Best regards,