“The Reserve - Great vacation for kids age 2 and 4 - kids club review”

The Reserve at Paradisus Palma Real
Ranked #3 of 112 Hotels in Punta Cana
GreenLeadersSilver level
New York City, New York
“The Reserve - Great vacation for kids age 2 and 4 - kids club review”
Reviewed April 4, 2014

I never write reviews but I deliberated hard over this hotel and the other reviews were helpful.

We very much enjoyed our vacation to The Reserve and would thoroughly recommend it to anyone traveling with young kids. The reserve part of the hotel was really lovely and beautifully run, very manicured and stylish, with not a plastic chair in sight. The food was great and the kids (2 and 4) loved the kids club and spent about 2-3 hrs there a day.

The kids club was beautifully done, air conditioned and well managed, there was a timetable of activities and you could drop in the kids whenever you wanted. My only slight criticism was that it was not as structured as i would have liked, as I did come back to find my kids watching TV quite a lot, but they thought this was marvelous - so what more could I ask for ?

I would also recommend the garden suite, perfect for the kids to play in when we were in the room. They both shared the sofa bed which was comfortable enough and the room was spacious. The travel cot they produced was too small for our 2.5 year old so be warned, it is a small wooden travel crib.

The other part of the hotel, accessible by golf buggy, reminded me a little of Cesar's Palace in Las Vegas! A little tacky, but fine to people watch in the evening. We hired a babysitter every night, which was a little overpriced ($25 per hour to watch 2 sleeping kids) but worth it.

I would not bother at all with the Family Conceige. You are already appointed someone to help with your restaurant bookings and anything else doesn't take much brain power to sort out. The Family Conceige just looked slightly annoying trying to over organise stuff that didn't need to be over organised. A girl I met there said that it was like having a middle man who didn't quite get the job done, so you were always having to check up on it. Not worth the $100 per day, and glad we didn't sign up.
All in all though, a very enjoyable vacation and a good match for us.

Room Tip: Garden suite is perfect for 2 adults and 2 kids.
6 Thank sophie J

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,519)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Lloydminster, Canada
Reviewed April 3, 2014

My husband and I just returned home from staying at this amazing resort for two weeks and we were so sad to leave. We honestly could have stayed there for another month or more very easily. The accomendations were by far the best we have ever had. Modern and clean is an under statement. We stayed in a swim up room which was beautiful. The food in every restaurant and buffet was great, no complaints at all.I would like to give a big shout of applause for a few of the staff there. First I would like to thank Dalmy De Le Rosa for making possible our beautiful room and checking every day for the whole two weeks to make sure we had every thing we needed. She was truly great!!! Her customer service skills are exceptional. Also to Bolivar Delosanto Valdez who welcomed us every morning at the Gabi with a beautiful smile and did everything possible to be sure we were looked after as well, exceptional as well. There were so many great staff members I want to say a great big thank you to. We cannot wait to go back.... One and only complaint was the bad internet access, we could not get service in our room often please fix that and it would be100%

1 Thank Sharon L
Okc
Reviewed April 3, 2014

We stayed at the Reserve Paradisus for our honeymoon and had a great time. The staff was wonderful and very friendly. We didn't realize when we booked that the Reserve was for families with children but it didn't matter, we had no problems with children. My wife and I speak very little Spanish but the staff appreciated our efforts to speak Spanish and were very helpful to aid us in trying to learn. I would recommend this to anyone looking for a great place to stay with good food, good entertainment and an absolutely wonderful staff!!

Review collected in partnership with Melia Hotels International

Rafael T, General Manager at The Reserve at Paradisus Palma Real, responded to this review, April 9, 2014
Dear Kyle,

Thank you so much for choosing us to celebrate your honeymoon! It makes me feel proud to know your stay was great and relaxing.

I would share your comments my team. This kind of compliment serves as a great motivation to all of us.

The Paradise waits for you to celebrate your wedding anniversary.

Best wishes,

Punta Cana
Reviewed April 3, 2014

This really is a tremendous hotel/ facility. We stayed at the Reserve ( definitely recommend this upgrade), but the service and facilities throughout the entire property were top rate. The only issue we had was the internet access in the rooms which is terrible. If this is fixed this is a can't miss vacation.

Review collected in partnership with Melia Hotels International

Dear Jeremy,

Thank you for your valuable comments, I am proud to hear that you had a memorable stay with us. Receive my sincerest apologies if our internet service did not meet your expectations.

I am sure this will be the first of uncountable fantastic vacation at The Reserve at Paradisus Palma Real.

Pa
Reviewed April 2, 2014

We just came back from The Reserve and for the most part, could not have been more pleased. The resort and service was outstanding. The food was excellent, except for one incident where the eggs were cold. But I am sure if I complained it would have been fixed. Everyone is friendly and eager to please. The staff is outstanding.

This was my first trip to Punta Cana and loved it. I will most likely visit again.

I gave the resort 4 stars instead of 5 for two reasons. The wi-fi was spotty and even though they tried to fix it with a new router, there were still issues. The one consideration in returning to this resort, is that it is a much more family oriented resort, than a couples resort. The only reason I mention this, is that we had a screaming baby in the room next to ours. Luckily it did not seem to occur as we were sleeping, and it was half way through our stay, otherwise I would have asked to be moved. However, even though the resort was booked, it never seemed overly crowded and it was fairly easy to find seats at the beach and pool at any time of the day. There are also quieter areas of the pool you can go to where it is much more private.

3 Thank tlk824Pa
Dear guest,

I would like to express my gratitude for sharing your impressions about your recent stay.

Exceeding the expectations of our guests and offer truly exceptional experiences is our goal. We know that in order to achieve this it is necessary to provide good service and attitude.

Your comments and observations are greatly appreciated and we cannot wait to have the pleasure to welcome you again at this your “home away from home”.

Managua, Nicaragua
Reviewed April 2, 2014

Great Hotel! Really good service ! Had a personal Buttler that did an amazing job! i took scuba classes ! they had good entertaiment shows! the food was good with diffrent restaurants ! i really liked it !

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Natalia1sabella
Dear Natalia,

It is truly amazing to read these beautiful words about your experience at our hotel. All the staff has a friendly, cheerful, and sympathetic nature, which is reflected in the great service they provide to our guests.

I am sure I will have the pleasure to host your stay in the near future.

Grosse Pointe Farms, Michigan
Reviewed March 31, 2014

The Reserve at Paradisus Palma Real is wonderful. We wrote our comments down in bullet format to make it easier to read. Place is 10 out of 10….

Positives:
- Easy check in…They upgraded us to 1st floor Garden Room – Very nice
o Reservation process on-line was very easy / Great response to emails…..
- Rooms:
o There are only two types – we have attached PDF’s of the layouts…for some reason, the Reserve does not give this on their website – they should.
• One Bedroom Suite – 613 Square Feet
• One Bedroom Master Suite – 860 Square Feet
• All other offerings – Swim up / Private Garden / Family Concierge are options…..
• (There is a Two Bedroom – But is combines the above listed)
o Rooms are very clean…leave a little tip each day
- Wonderful Staff:
o Pedro – Hydro Grill and Aqua – Super smile, service and just a GREAT guy
o Santana – HG Grill – Aways there….with a warm smile
o Julian – HG Grill – Fast, fast, fast…and very reliable…
o Sampson – Mizu – Great artist….
• I know I am missing a bunch….
- Main pool area was great
o Lots of private areas you can gather….not see anyone all day….if you want
o HG Grill is by main pool…very good
o Service was fantastic…you never waited for a drink or good grill food
o Lots of cabana’s and lounges available…no real issues getting a nice stop
o Corona’s with limes all day….
o Towels are readily available….lots of them…
o Bathrooms by the pool (several of them) / Very clean….
o Lots of fun activities by the pool – Water aerobics, dancing, etc….daily schedule
- Kids Club is great
o Talked to many parents - great
o Our 6 and 11 year old boys never made it….they were having too much fun….
- Reserve has private pool…by the private beach…very nice….book chairs / cabanas
- Beach was beautiful – Private area for Reserve guests
o Well attended…lots of cabana’s / lounges – book day before
o Sand was great….minimal seaweed….
o Small waves for some fun….minimal current
o Security keeps the sales persons away very effectively….
o Towels are there…as many as you need
o Very Safe….
- Restaurants:
o Aqua - Best food / service was supreme….deserts really good
o Mizu – Great show…food was great
o Gabi Beach – Good…nice / on beach / Food
o Gabi Club – General Breakfast/Lunch/Dinner buffet – Overall adequate
• Breakfast much better….
• Ice cream is great…changes flavors daily….
o HG Grill – By main pool – Good grill / poolside food
• Burgers, nachos, fish, etc….all good / Great beverages…
o We did not try any of the restaurants at the other hotel
- Outside Excursions
o Sorry, we stay put…did not feel any urge to leave wonderful place

Areas for Improvement:
- Rudi – Our assigned Concierge was NOT good
o He was trying to sell us on the “time share” / numerous times….
o He did minimal to help us with restaurant bookings times…
o He was the one exception to positive staff…..
- Private transport – Sunny C was great
o But, you should arrive at airport 2.5 hours before departure (we were told 75 mins….not good)

Things to bring:
- Bug spray – Cabanas can have small bugs…better to have some protection
- Traveler coffee mugs – large…for morning coffee and other beverages later
- Coozies – For keeping beers cold….
- Bottle opener (bring a few to sell…there seems to be a shortage)
- Blow up toys are must – raft, floaties, balls, etc….bring them all
- Lots of $1 bills – It is nice to reward great service….
- Lots of sunscreen….Sun is very hot….

Room Tip: See attachments - to determine layout of room, right option for your family...as their web-site can...
12 Thank GPFarms