“Best Upgrade Ever! January 18-25”

The Reserve at Paradisus Palma Real
Ranked #4 of 111 Hotels in Punta Cana
GreenLeadersSilver level
“Best Upgrade Ever! January 18-25”
Reviewed February 2, 2014

When we arrived at the airport, we were told that we were being upgraded to the Reserve at Paradisus Palma Real.
As soon as we got there, we were pretty blown away. AMAZING landscape, very modern and beautiful.
We were helped by a lovely lady named Sarah and her colleague Ramon who were amazing.
Ramon took us to our room and showed us around...what a room! it was pretty amazing having a jacuzzi inside and outside=)
Throughout the entire stay Ramon remembered who were were and addressed us always by our name...Definitely made us feel like we were important to him.
The Reserve is really beautiful- private everything! From pools, to restaurants, to beaches...it was stunning!
We had some really amazing staff members who we absolutely must mention in our review. If you're ever there, make sure to ask for these guys;
Julio Caraballo- the best server ever! Julio took care of our entire group never hesitating to go above and beyond to make sure we were always taken care of. He looked for us every day and always had a smile on his face! He's definitely a great worker and we hope his hard work doesn;t go unnoticed.
Carlos Pena from activities was a lot of fun! He really did his best to get all of the guests involved in his daily activities. He's got such a great personality and we loved talking, doing aqua fit and participating in the many events he put on. He was also really great with all of the kids and was just an overall great person! So glad we had Carlos around!
Our main bartender was Virgilio- what a great guy! He made so many different concoctions for us and kept us happy:) Always taking care, never a complaint, overall a really lovely man.

Our overall experience was superb. The Reserve is truly a lovely hotel. We've been to many places, but the people in DR, especially at the Reserve were extremely kind. Always doing their best to ensure our stay was a perfect one.
The a la carte restuarants were amazing. I really loved the teppanyaki restaurant the most. we had a great chef who called himself Osaka..LOL...great fun personality!
The one thing we did not realyl care for was the buffet. The food wasn't good at all. The actualy buffet was small with not too many options and the chef's making the eggs were a tad slow. There was aways a line up=(

The private Beach- Gabi Beach was pretty awesome. We never had any issues securing a spot under the umbrella. The only thing we didnt like much was the amount of debris in the water. For whatever reason, there was a ton of seaweed which was annoying!

The only thing we would hope for was more entertainment...it was kind of boring at night, and we would have to go to the main hotel to experience the entertainment...which ended pretty early.

Overall, we would recommend the Reserve at the Paradisus Palma Real...amazing service...definitely a wonderful experience.

Room Tip: ask for the lower room which has the walk out to the pool...awesome!
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank Travelqueen2983
Rafael T, General Manager at The Reserve at Paradisus Palma Real, responded to this review, February 4, 2014
Dear guest,

It is a great honor to hear The Reserve was better than you could have ever imagined! Is a real pleasure for us to learn we have provided quality service beyond your expectations!

I really appreciate your constructive observations about night entertainment. I assure we take the appropriate measurements.

We await you soon at The Reserve at Paradisus Palma Real for another " Great Vacation".

Paradisus Resorts Punta Cana

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,489)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
New York City, New York
Reviewed January 31, 2014

Just returned from a week at the Reserve at Paradisus Palma Real and overall we had an amazing and relaxing vacation. The hotel grounds are well maintained and the services and amenities are all great, including the kids zone which is second to none. The entire staff of the kids zone deserve special recognition. Have not been to an all-inclusive before, but having the Reserve as our first experience has certainly paved the way for future all inclusive vacations, including a return visit to the Reserve. The food was all good and the service was outstanding, although the antiquated reservation system for dinner could use updating -- frustrating when you cannot get a reservation for one of the restaurants and then you walk past and see that the place is mostly empty. Perhaps it's a matter of spreading folks around for service reasons, but that does not take away from the frustration of seeing a mostly empty restaurant despite being told it's full for the evening. My only real complaint of this hotel is the Wifi system, which is atrocious and in desperate need of updating. All of the sales pitches pushing the timeshare are also annoying. Finally, I echo the positive thoughts regarding one of the activity coordinator’s at the Reserve, Carlos Pena. Carlos goes above and beyond and was truly fantastic with my toddler. Already looking forward to a return visit to the Reserve at Paradisus Palma Real.

1 Thank D H
Grand Blanc, Michigan
Reviewed January 30, 2014

The activity coordinator was wonderful. Carlos Pena was very friendly and wanted you to have a good time. The pool activities we're great.Deivi Cueto and Julio Flores we're wonderful. A few other staff members I wouldn't give high marks. Over all we had a great time.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Miami, Florida
Reviewed January 30, 2014

Absolutely fantastic resort. The people are warm and friendly always willing to assist you. The beaches are goregous. The property is huge with plenty of places to eat and relax. Santo Ozuna and Ada Nawea were wonderful. The pools on the property along with the Spa are a memorable experience. I will be returning for many years to come.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
3 Thank CJ J
Dear guest,

I would like to thank you for selecting us as your vacation destination. It pleases us to hear your comments about our facilities and the great service you have received from Santos and Ada. I will personally pass on your compliments to each of them.

We cannot wait to welcome you back!

See you soon,

Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed January 29, 2014

I read the reviews on this site prior to booking the hotel. After a week at the resort I end up with an experience vastly divergent from the one of the cheerleading crowd.
Me and my ten-year-old stayed in one-bedroom suit. Entering the suit, we walked in a long narrow room with a kitchenette upfront and a sitting area with TV at the end. In the middle, a sliding door opened to a bedroom with two double beds pulled together for a king, and one nightstand. The bedroom was tiny, no space for the second night stand. To give you an idea, most of the ramshackle motels in US will have a bigger room. We pulled the double beds apart and filled up the room. Literally. I'm a skinny person. I had to go sideways to squeeze between the end of the bed and a TV on a wall. Any large person won't make it around that room, unless he or she can levitate.

I believe the master suit has a different floor plan. You enter in a real room instead of a long narrow passage. The bedroom is supposedly bigger according to the management, though I haven't seen one with my eyes. The pictures of the master suit is what the resort has on the website to lure you in.

To complete the misery of the bedroom: the beds are on wheels with broken locks. If you try to scoot up, the bed will roll from under you. The direct TV remote is a torture, it will take you the whole day to switch the channels. The reason, I suspect, is the box hidden behind the TV being blocked by the TV itself. It just does not respond to the remote.

The wi fi was on and off constantly. I wasn't able to sustain any skipe conversations. The wi fi outside of the room was even worse. The signal came from the router that served as a night light more than a wi fi hub. The router hung off the TV on the bare wall of the bedroom and completed the cheap motel feel.

The food in the buffet and restaurants was adequate. The service was nonchalant even with tipping. In one of the restaurants the waiter brought us the main course right off the bet. After we ate, he brought the rest of the food we ordered, including soup and salads. I think it was the language issue more than anything. The big disappointment for my girl were deserts and pastry in the buffet. All mini and all rather tasteless. Ice creams were simply uneatable.
We have only tried four restaurants, none memorable enough to mention, except for Bana on the Beach where my baby-girl got food poisoning. Probably from undercooked lobster tail. Whatever food caused it, she puked all night long and didn't want to try any other restaurants afterwards. The Michelin-rated restaurant is additional $150 p/p. We couldn't get in if we wanted, the place is for adults only. How convenient for a family resort! In spite of the $490 a night, they still manage to nickle and dime you. I had to pay $10 at the kids club for finger painting session.
Make sure you get to breakfast by 11 a.m. From 11 to 12 you won't be able to find food in the Reserve. The pool bar supposed to have snacks, they had nothing when we came there at 11.
There was a lobster lunch at the pool bar once, I think on Monday, but we missed it. In retrospect I'm glad I did.

Most of the guest at the Resort are from Latin America. Some from Europe, mostly Russian-speaking. Very few folks from North America. Everyone was smoking. Including people in the dining hall and by the kiddy's pool. Our room didn't reek, but it was not a non-smoking room either: an ash trey in the room and on the balcony. As in many Caribbean resorts, the non-smoking notion does not exist at the Reserve.
The only people with any English are the front desk folks and hospitality staff who paddles their Melia time share membership non-stop. The daily soliciting gets really annoying. First day in, I got two wake up calls before 9 a.m.: one from the hotel's concierge, another from their travel agent. At the price I've paid for the room, I would hope to be able to get some sleep without being harassed by the sales people.
The main Paradisus Palma Real is a ten minute walk from the Reserve. It has a lobby, beach, most restaurants, entertainment, music and shows. Golf cars shuttle guests between two properties, waiting for one can take longer that the walk itself. The main resort comes at the fraction of cost compared to the Reserve. I can see no reason why anyone would pay for the Reserve to be away from the beach and all the action, even families with the kids. Or even better, skip the Paradisus resort all together. There are outstanding resorts in Dominican Republic, which are the better options than the Melia brand.

Room Tip: Go for a master suit, not a one-bedroom.
8 Thank jz c
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed January 28, 2014

My husband and I and went to The Reserve at the end of October for our honeymoon. It turned out to be a wonderful and very relaxing week of being beach bums! This was the first trip for the both of us to the Dominican Republic. The hotel wasn't busy and at times it felt we had the place to ourselves (which was wonderful)!

The hotel property is BEAUTIFUL and very well maintained! The check-in process was fairly smooth and quick. The food was good but not outstanding by any means expect for Passion which was well worth the money. Mizu was our favorite restaurant because it was a fun experience and the food was delicious. Aqua was good as well. The buffet and Hydro grill were decent but not memorable. The sushi bar was a bit underwhelming and we wished we would have been able to go to Vento instead. Not all restaurants were open every night, I'm assuming because it was a quiet time of year. Our room was spacious and comfortable. The minibar was well maintained and stocked daily (we loved the plantain chips!). We were brought a couple bottles of champagne throughout the week which was a nice touch. The Reserve is a resort within a resort, and we just wished they had some rooms that were ocean front (I'm not complaining, it's just our personal preference).

They had a show each night that we went to. We are children of the 80s and so we loved the Michael Jackson show! The Cirque show was good as well.

The service was INCREDIBLE! Everyone was very nice and they went out of their way to make us happy. We are very generous tippers and we were very well taken care of. Speaking of tips, they welcome US currency and are very grateful of receiving them. The staff work long days and deserve it!

What kept me from giving this place a full 5 star review was that there were a few times there was inconsistent service. My guess is the hotel was running at 30% occupancy (keep in mind this was the end of October which is still hurricane season). They put us in a room with 2 double beds and moved them together which was a bit awkward but ok for us (they could have just given us a room with a king since they weren't full). At check-in they gave us a schedule of activities that were going on during the week and when we would go looking for these activities, nobody had a clue about them and some were even cancelled or moved to a different day. Also, at check-in we received a hand written welcome letter from a gal named Dalmy de la Rossa. The next day she caught up with us at breakfast and gave us a tour of the entire property (including the main hotel). After the tour she invited us to a "special breakfast". After reading another review I knew this was their timeshare presentation so we kindly said "no thanks". We ran into her on and off throughout the week and I feel she gave us an evil look every time because we declined her invitation. BEWARE this place really pushed the timeshares!

Special shout out to Luis (minibar attendant), Obeidy Rodriquez (housekeeping attendant), Edward (pool entertainer); Servers/bartenders: Luis Rubio, Gustavo, Samson and Cristian Santana!!

If this is your first time as well, here are a few things to know...First off, the airport was very chaotic (The Reserve is about a 20 minute ride from the airport). Upon arrival, you have to pay $10/person to enter the country so make sure you have cash on hand for this. Be sure to give yourself plenty of time when you have to leave (the flight crew on our US Airways flight recommended 2.5 hours, which I agree with). One thing we were told about Punta Cana that held up to be true was that the resort is the destination. Outside the hotel, there is really nothing to do. By the looks of it, there appears to be a lot of development going on, but if you like to go off and explore/sightsee on your vacation, this isn't the place to go.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank OhMissO
Dear guest,

Thank you for selecting us to celebrate this important occasion as it was your honeymoon. It is always a pleasure to read comment such as yours. I am pretty sure my team is going to be more than happy to hear your compliments to them.

Luis, Obeidy, Edward, Luis Rubio, Gustavo, Samson, Cristian and The Reserve team will be more than glad to be part of your wedding anniversary celebration.

Wishing you the best,

Santiago, Chile
Reviewed January 27, 2014

I´ve done my reservation on the web site of the hotel couple of months before my arrival, everything ok at check in, we were 2 adults and a 6 y/o kid. We took a Master Suite Private Garden room (#5106) for a 12 days stay. Very spacious and very well maintained. We loved the quietness at night, not a single noise. The highlights of our stay were undoubtedly the staff in every spot of the hotel, bars, front desk, restaurants, concierge, golf cart transport to go to Palma Real. I´m an hotellier in the industry for 20 years so I know a bit what it takes to perform this level of service. To mention some of the persons who made our stay unforgetable:
Yuvane: Best omellete and egg preparer of the world (Breakfast at Gabi Club The Reserve), just ask him he´ll get it.
Adenawer from Hydro Grill restaurant at The Reserve, outstanding service a true maitre´d, a restaurant manager.
Jesús from Gabi Club Restaurant at The Reserve, fantastic waiter.
Felix, Erick and Juan Francisco from Gabi Bar at The Reserve: Best cocktails always with a true smile.
Another highlight is the pool and the impressive well kept landscaping at The Reserve. Will be back guys!

Review collected in partnership with Melia Hotels International

3 Thank Andres P
Rafael T, General Manager at The Reserve at Paradisus Palma Real, responded to this review, January 30, 2014
Dear Andres,

I feel proud and grateful for your compliments on the efforts and dedication demonstrated by all our staff. It is thanks to our excellent team that we are able to accomplish our goal - the total satisfaction of our guests. I will gladly pass on your compliments to each of them.

I hope that next year we will host your family vacations!

Best regards,