“Too big for me but......”

The Reserve at Paradisus Palma Real
Ranked #3 of 112 Hotels in Punta Cana
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed December 9, 2013

We went Nov .10/13 mom, partner and toddler. The place is beautiful, can't complain about the grounds or room. I asked for main flr, got 2nd floor. Mstr suite was nice and fully stocked. 1 phone call is all it takes to pretty much get anything anytime. I really like the 'can do' attitude staff have. Just ask and you will likely receive. We were in the Reserve and if you have small children, it is the place to be. Great kids zone. They even have a mini buffet!!!My main issue was I was rather lost for a few days. The maps given and the lack of orientation was in my opinion ridiculous. I was preoccupied with the baby so 'exploring' was not so much happening- i needed to know how to get somewhere fast. Not impressed with maps or the lack of assistance finding my bearings. We had a gentleman- Ewing, he made reservations without checking times or preferences. His position is to get us to the time share speech. He couldn't have got us there if his life depended on it. Thank God for Trip Advisor. If you have more than one child, get a family conceirge (FC) because without one you will feel left out. I saw other FCs and was a bit jealous but with just 1 kid it wasnt worth it. The guys at the Aqua club are lucky I didnt freak out on them. They were rather yuck. Never told us we needed to wear tshirts. My mom was left snorkeling beside running motors- I actually thought she was going to die. the man gave me a life jacket down to my knees and i couldnt even sit with it on. I threw it to the floor of the boat in defiance. The para sail trough them was very good however!!I believe you experience what is going on inside you.be happy and positive, that is the trip you will receive. Its the law of nature. As soon as I was feeling negative BAM something would go wrong. MOST IMPORTANT MESSAGE IS TO STAY POSITIVE. Do not expect perfect English. I had 3 travel dictionaries going. My mom and I love writing notes and speaking our broken Spanish. The staff seemed amused as well. Food was ok. You should always be able to find something you like.Gabriel Dalusma @ Sunrise Thank you sweety. You cheered me up. Michelet Loase, Jesus Padua and Francisco Estrella-great service by the beach. Towel guy-u were so great.Marcos Nunez in room service-well done. Omar M and Miguel C @ Hydro grill, great food and service. Deivi Cueto, thank you.Too big a space. I dont actually like needing golf carts. With multiple children the Reserve is it.pull out couch bad and seaweed insane.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Melia Hotels International
Write a ReviewReviews (7,499)

Reviewed December 8, 2013

My wife and I spent our honeymoon at the reserve. This was one of the best hotel visits I have ever encountered. We had the VIP package and the concierge service was very helpful. The room was fantastic, with a master suite, jacuzzi, kitchen, dining area, living room and double shower. Our room also had a 2nd jacuzzi on the patio & our own private bungalow. The food was great. Our expectations were exceeded. We really enjoyed the Dominican Republic.

• Stayed: December 2013
Reviewed December 8, 2013

The service was excellent. Everybody was very helpful. The beach was clean and beautiful. The restaurants were good too. Jorge Zorilla from guest services was very accommodating. Chef Omar Mejia and Chef Orikson took very good care of us, also very accomodating. If you want to enjoy yourself in the Domincan Republic I recommend this hotel. Again all the employees were very helpful to make our stay pleasant.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Jessied315
Reviewed December 8, 2013

My family and I had a wonderful week stay at the Paradisus Palma Real. What made it the most memorable were the gracious people who work there like Juan Jimenez who make my 80 year old mothers birthday special, Algalicia who at the signature bar makes drinks like a seasoned artist.

Beautiful people and service, lush green grounds, and delicious food.

What a wonderful gift it was to stay at this hotel.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Michele R
Reviewed December 8, 2013 via mobile

Stayed at the reserve from 10.11 to 22.11.
Highly recommend of following reasons:
1. Staff. When arrived, asked to change our room (for 1 kingsize bed). Our guest service Laura did it quickly (later she also helped us with our restaurants booking).
So, if you're russian and speak english, you can have a very good service without a russian guest service.
2. Rooms. Clean, big, jacuzzi on the balcony (very romantic), you have everithing you need.
3. Food. We have visited all restaurants exept passion. The food was delicious, i ate many seafood. Get a teppanyaki show first! And gabi beach (Laura's recommendation :)
For selebrating a birthday we choose a romantic dinner (use the coupons when booking online for a discount). With the help of Sulenny it was perfect. Even the weather was on our side: no wind, no rain.
4. Spa. Got sauna, hammam and water ritual for free. Good massages and scub. Ask for master Carmen Rosa, she's very good.
5. Wellness & moves. Awesom. Got lessons twice a day, it's unusual for us, but didn't want to miss a lesson. We had yoga and pilates with Edison and Maria. Guys are great, every lesson was so useful! If you want to get dynamic lesson, go to Maria. If you want to strech and relax your mind, take Edison lessons, and don't hesitate to ask him for advice. By the way, he is master of Shiatzu.)
Thanx for everybody to make our pre-honeymoon unforgettable. ))))

Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Ina R
Reviewed December 8, 2013

We just returned from our trip to the Reserve a few days ago (stay was from 11/22-12/2). We booked a Family Concierge room for me and my husband and our 18 month old son. We also booked a separate concierge room for my parent-in laws which was adjoining (rooms 5122/5123). We met nearly 20 family members here for the Thanksgiving Holiday. The overall vacation was nice, but there were definitely some drawbacks but they were outweighed by the personal touches this resort provides.

Upon arrival, we were greeted by our concierge, handed champagne mimosas, and guided through the various check-in items while sitting in the garden on a lovely couch. We were then brought to our room on the third floor to make sure it was to our liking. I felt this was a lovely introduction. They also gave us a cell phone to contact our family concierge if we needed anything during our stay (items for baby, reservations, anything). Since there are no elevators, we were required to leave our stroller out on the ground floor when we weren't using it. This is something all the guests do. Since they are enclosed hallways, it felt safe.

The Family concierge room was a suite with a full size living room, dining room table, and jetted tub, full size shower with two rainfall shower heads and a lovely outdoor patio with another jacuzzi tub and dining area. Our concierge brought us a microwave to heat milk for our baby, plus a bottle sanitizer and bottle warmer. This was very helpful to us. We also found a kids backpack with a t-shirt, pool floaties, a bathrobe and slippers, and a paradisus hat for my son. It was a nice touch.

The first night we were at the Reserve, we came home to cookies with a welcome note. The second night, the concierge had left an aromatherapy pillow for my son, with a lovely note and cookies. The fifth night, she filled up our tub with bubbles and balloons for him, and the last night, we arrived to find our tub with bubbles and beautiful rose petals. It was very nice. We never asked for any of this, it was just part of the service and personal touch. At one point, I asked the concierge to place a gift inside a family members room with some balloons for their birthday, and she pulled it off beautiful without anyone knowing. It was a lovely surprise.

Some of the drawbacks of the resort were the food (buffets both at reserve and at the main resort seemed to serve the same items over and over), and the lack of activities and nightlife. We celebrated by nieces birthday party at Aqua and they literally served me three different menu items that I did not order. The waiter took over two hours to bring our food out. Did not feel that I was treating myself or splurging- in fact, I lost weight while I was here! We were able to venture out to the main resort a few nights since the reserve is dead by 10 p.m. We noticed the nightclub at the main resort never seemed to have even one person there. The casino was small, and when we tried to get our money out of the video poker machine after playing for several hours, it took almost 15 mins! They had to handwrite a ticket, get our signature, then take it to the cage, etc. When we finally received our payout, we were shorted $.50. Not cool.

The grounds here are the most beautiful I've seen and there were ALWAYS more than enough cabanas poolside so anyone could walk up and plop down with a book, etc. We LOVED the kids zone. There is a great pool for kids, and also a full daycare with a playroom for the little guys. My son had a blast here.

If I WERE TO COME BACK - I would most likely book a swim-up room. Our family member had this room and it seemed to offer more room on the outside patio, and also was on the ground floor where they did not have to climb the stairs with their baby.

Or... I would just stay at the main resort.. The personal touches are nice at the reserve, but I felt we spent alot of time taking the little taxi to and from the reserve to the main resort. It was a little too far to walk. We also spent a good amount of time on the beach which we had to go to the main resort to access via taxi.

I honestly loved our room and our concierge, but I think I would probably not return given that this is very expensive, and felt a little too private for my taste, and the food was seriously not good. I've stayed at the Hard Rock before and would probably return given the activities they have for kids etc., and the amazing restaurants and nightlife.

Room Tip: Choose the Swim up room on the ground floor. Or the main resort.
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
5  Thank CarribeanJen
Reviewed December 8, 2013 via mobile

We stayed at The reserve At Paradisus Palm Real the first week of December 2013. We could not have asked for a more amazing place for a family vacation! The Reserve took care of all our needs ( as we have a few family members with food allergies)! Our concierge Victor would even deliver Gluten free pizzas pool side or to the beach whenever asked! Kids had a great time enjoying the kids club and all the activities they offered especially the Mini Disco in the evenings! We will be back again for sure!

Stayed: December 2013