“A wonderful break from the everyday!”

The Reserve at Paradisus Palma Real
Ranked #4 of 112 Hotels in Punta Cana
GreenLeadersSilver level
Acworth, Georgia, United States
“A wonderful break from the everyday!”
Reviewed July 30, 2013

Our trip to the Dominican Republic was a wonderful break from the daily grind. We stayed at the Family Concierge Suites of the Reserve at the Paradisus Palma Real. We were lucky to reserve a one bedroom suite with a family concierge. We were upgraded to the master suite when we arrived to this beautiful property. The room was gorgeous, there were two jacuzzi tubs one outside and one in. There was a private bedroom area with a door to separate it from the living area(or our boys bedroom). There was a kitchen counter with cabinets and a dining table. The room was a perfect size for a family of four. The best part of our trip however was our family concierge Andy Constante. He was perfect. He managed our dinner reservations daily. He arranged different (very fun)surprises for our two boys everyday and was really there for anything that we needed. It was amazing having him there. Our sons were so excited about Andy!
The hotel are on a HUGE beautifully landscaped property but the shuttle system is so frequently and the longest we ever waited for a ride was about 2 minutes.The beach is amazing! The water is so clear, but really salty and the sand is white and fine. It was perfect!
We also were in love with the kids club. Ms. Natali was very professional and seemed very involved with creating the kids activities. I definitely think that they need more activities for the three and four year olds.
The one problem that I had with the hotel was with the buffet food. There was the same food everyday, no menu changes. I would have liked to see more variety. The A La Carte restaurants had interesting menus and the food was very tasty. Andy had also arranged a romantic dinner on the beach for my husband and myself. It was perfect. There was a lantern lit trail and a beautiful table.
There were plenty of things to do during the day and we took advantage of the spa. We used the hydrotherapy ritual which was refreshing and also got a couples massage which was very relaxing.
This trip was truly amazing.

Room Tip: If you are in the reserve the rooms in the 4000 are much closer to the beach. Ask for a room on the...
1 Thank SAdelsky
Rafael T, General Manager at The Reserve at Paradisus Palma Real, responded to this review, August 7, 2013
Dear Guest

In the Reserve we have a strong commitment to provide quality service beyond our guests` expectations, and it is a real pleasure for us to learn that we have achieved our goal.

Please allow to express you my gratitude for your compliments on the efforts and dedication demonstrated by our staff. It is thanks to our staff members that we are able to accomplish our goal - the total satisfaction of our guests.

Thank you for preferring The Reserve at Paradisus Palma Real and we look forward to welcome you in the near future.

Paradisus Resorts Punta Cana

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,503)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Detroit, Michigan
Reviewed July 30, 2013

My family and I visited the Reserve at Paradisus Palma Real from 7/8/13 to 7/13/13. I would like to start by saying that this Resort was beautiful. My wife and I have travelled a lot and this was one of the most beautiful places we have stayed. The grounds were tended to daily. As we arrived we were greeted by resort staff, given cold towels and cold drinks as we were led to the reservation lounge. They took our luggage and said it would be brought up to our rooms. The check in was okay, but took a little longer than I expected (about 45 minutes to an hour).

After check in we were assigned a concierge person for our entire stay at the resort. Our assigned guest service concierge was Gabriel Bobadilla. I have to start off by saying that Gabriel did an excellent job during our stay. Before booking our trip I read a lot of reviews of people's terrible experiences with their assigned guest services concierge and it made me a little nervous, but I must say that Gabriel (Gabby) did a top notch job - I.e. if you plan on traveling to the Reserve at Paradisus Palma Real if possible please request Gabriel you won't be disappointed. He lead us to our rooms and gave us his direct extension number to contact him with any of our concerns, issues, or anything else we needed. We also had Gabby make our reservations for the restaurants we wanted to have dinner at each night - I strongly suggest making your dinner reservations at the beginning of your stay because you may not be able to get the reservations you desire if you wait.

The rooms were very modern, sleek, and comfortable. The rooms were clean and everything was functional and presentable. Once my wife and I got settled into our room we realized there was a very strong mildew and moldy smell in the room. We tried to deal with it but after an hour or two I went down to request another room. The staff were attentive to our concern and immediately began working on finding us another room. Right as I was taking the keys to our new room Gabby showed up out of nowhere and went with me to escort us to our new room. As he escorted us he once again reminded us that all we have to do is call him if we had any problems, we didn't have to go down to the front lounge for anything, he would take care of it all. I must mention also that I requested a king size bed but there were none available so Gabby had the house keeping people push the two queen beds together to make a super king size. I have to say again that Gabriel is the man, we didn't lack anything because he was always around to help us, literally coming out of nowhere often times. The rooms contained small snacks and beverages that were restocked daily.

The pools and beach were extravagant - the water was crystal clear. It didn't matter what time of day it was, the beach nor pools ever seemed to be overcrowded. To get to the beach (and some of the other restaurants) we had to catch a golf cart from the Reserve to the main resort. We never waited long (at most 20 min at night due to the large number of people traveling backward and forwards for the different nightly activities). Gabby would sometimes see us waiting, hop in a van and drive us himself so we didn't have to wait.

The reason I gave the resort a 4 instead of a 5 was because of the food. For the price I expected the food to be a lot better with a much broader choice of selection. The variety at all the a la carte restaurants was very limited, in most cases - a choice of 1-3 similar appetizers, a choice of only 4 different entrees, and a choice of 1-2 desserts. My wife and I have visited another all inclusive resort in Mexico where we paid less and the food was way better and they had a way bigger selection. Maybe my expectations were high but I was expecting a large menu variety to chose from each night, but was always left with choosing from chicken, steak, shrimp or lobster in some way shape or form. The buffet restaurants were pretty good dare I say great some days. The buffet menu was much broader although it was typically buffet quality - food cooked in large quantities and had to be picked through to get the good stuff. They also had a grill at each buffet to cook different special items. Buffet was pretty good overall - especially breakfast.

The Resort has an entire section dedicated to tours and travel. The tours were not included so to go on anyt tour was extra. Although we had to pay extra, the tours really made our trip way more enjoyable - I recommend the buggie tour, parasailing and the dolphin swim. The tours are given by third party companies. They picked you up from your resort and dropped you back off afterward. The resort also offers many daily and nightly activities including a fire show, a cirque show, salsa and belly dancing performances. The cirque show was pretty awesome.

Overall we had a very enjoyable stay. All the staff kept smiling faces and were attentive to our needs and were always ready to help. Lastly in many previous reviews I read about many people talking about the hard push to attend a resort tour and sales pitch for Melia. During our stay we weren't pressured at all until our last day when some random Melia Rep randomly asked us to attend a meeting, but we sternly but politely declined. He told us if we had time to think about it, which we didn't. We are definitely thinking about returning - as long as we can avoid the sales pitch again.

3 Thank D H
Dear Guest

Thank you for letting us know your particular observations. You may feel assured that we took a good note of your particular observations

We look forward to welcome you in the near future.

Reviewed July 30, 2013

The place is amazing. Is a beauty in every corner. My stay at this place was really like being in paradise. But as wonderful complement days was the special attention of Anuvis Aquino (of attention to Melia club partners), who was very attentive and superbly helpful. Also Aura (manager) and Jacqueline (Room supervisor)

• Stayed May 2013
Dear Lorems ,

Santiago, Chile
Reviewed July 29, 2013

Our group of 25 people (ranging from 88 to 3 years old) returned yesterday from a great week at Paradisus Palma Real. Grounds were beautiful and carefully maintained, food was very good at every restaurant and the beach and swimming pools were as good as advertised. We really enjoyed the spa and the swim-up room we occupied. But if I can highlight something in Palma Real is service, which was superb. From Isabel Gonzales (in charge of Guest Services) to each waiter, cooker, bartender, waitrer, waitress, the service we received was excellent. Very nice people with happy faces and always willing to help. Special mention I should give to Victor Medina (guest service) who gave us help and advice every single day and was always available and willing to accomodate to our needs which was not easy at all. He is the main reason why we enjoyed our stay so much and planning to come to Paradisus Palma Real again. Thanks to Victor, Isabel and all the Paradisus Palma Real team. You are doing a great work.

Dear Guest ,

East Windsor, New Jersey
Reviewed July 29, 2013

During the week of 7/11-7/18 myself, along with my husband, my two boys and my parents were guests of the Reserves. We still cannot talk about the wonderful time we had there! I usually do not write reviews but our experience was so good I felt that I needed to share with everyone what a wonderful vacation spot this is. When it was time for booking my husband did a lot of research and everything lead us the Reserves. Since we were not only traveling with four adults but also children we needed to make sure that our resort had something for everyone and this place fit the bill! I have never came home from a vacation feeling as relaxed as I did on this one. Everyone in our family felt their needs were catered to! We were concerned when booking the trip since my mother suffers from Celiac disease and cannot consume gluten. Our worries were for for nothing! Right away they made us feel at ease and two very special people, Martin and Eddy Caceres made sure that all of my mothers meals were safe for her to eat! Our family conceirge service was really good. Dalmy de la rosa made sure our family had an incredible meal every night! Most days the kids went to the fabulous Kids Zone. We have been on many vacations before with kids clubs but none of them compared to this one! It had so much for the kids to do and so many different activities! After us adults got some alone time we had a ball playing with the kids in the pool at the Reserves. Julian Cabrera always gave us VIP service.. The staff at Hydro Grill (for dinner on 7/12 and the rest of the days 7/12-7/17 for lunch) were great! I wish I got all there names! As was our service for breakfast every morning once again I wish I got their names since being a party of 6 they always made sure a table was ready for us when we came down! One day we ventured to the main pool and my kids loved the party atmosphere there. We also loved the beach and the service that Andy gave us was top notch! Once again we felt like we were VIP! We did do the snorkeling but a bit of advice book right away the free trips books up fast! At the main lobby we ate at Bana, Mole, Gabi beach and Market grill for dinner and not one bad thing can be said of any of them! The shows were a nice touch to end the night! If we ever travel back to Punta Cana there will be no question in our mind where to stay since we have already stayed at the best there is there!!!! Thank you for giving me such a wonderful experience to share with my parents and my children!

Room Tip: building 51-52 close enough to lobby but still very quiet. Great section of the pool as well!
1 Thank Stacy J
Rafael T, General Manager at The Reserve at Paradisus Palma Real, responded to this review, July 31, 2013
Dear Stacy,

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 29, 2013

We are a family of 4 who stayed in The Reserve for 14 nights in July. This is a stunning hotel. The design of the main areas and the gardens and pools is second to none. The layout of the walkways and the planting mean that you always feel you are in a somewhat private area. There is a huge array of fantastic outdoor furniture and plenty of space at any time of day.
The food is superb, with the only disappointment being the mexican restaurant. In a 14 night stay we managed to eat in many of the restaurants and bars: the hotel uses the very highest quality products in the meals, the cooking is great (albeit largely grills - but do try Aqua for really superb cuisine) and the presentation is good.
The gyms are great. The gym at The Reserve is very well kitted-out and very well managed. The chap who ran the gym (Wendy Liriano) was fantastic and genuinely made a huge difference to our stay (I don't think I have ever before said that the gym was a real highlight of my summer holiday but Wendy literally made the experience so good that I couldn't wait to get to the gym each day). He was so positive, fun and encouraging, and even managed to deal beautifully with a very challenging lady from NY who wanted the gym music silenced so that she could have her own music on. There's always one ;-)
The only downside was that service at reception was generally very weak and the cleaning service poor. The staff at reception simply didn't seem to know what they were doing, and had a very frustrating habit of insisting they understood requests in English, when it subsequently became clear they had not, and much time and effort had been wasted. Much better to say when you don't understand. We discovered from other guests that the solution was to ask for Glynis, which we did, and she was a real 'fixer' - a customer service superstar.
The housekeeping service also needs attention. The housekeepers seemed to be in an out of our room constantly and yet we were regularly running out of clean towels, toilet rolls, shampoo etc. Twice we were woken at 10.30pm by housekeeping barging into our room to do something (heaven knows what since they had already completed the turn-down service hours before). Housekeeping should be as efficient and as invisible as possible. Not like the extra relative you didn't really want to bring with you and is constantly hanging around!
Overall, we would strongly recommend this hotel, assuming service is something that management will work on. The fundamentals are all there, and the environment (the hotel and the beach) are exquisite.

Room Tip: The swim-up suites are fabulous, especially with kids who can't wait to get into the water first...
2 Thank SezzleSW19
Dear guest,

I would like to extend my gratitude for selecting us to celebrate your family vacation and for sharing the impressions of your recent stay. It is a pleasure for me to hear that you had a memorable stay with us.

I appreciate your valuable observations about our Housekeeping and Front Desk departments. I assure you that appropriate measures have been taken.

I hope to have the pleasure to welcome you back in the near future to your second home, the Reserve at Paradisus Palma Real.

Best regards,

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Reviewed July 29, 2013

This is my first time ever writing a review on a vacation. We travel alot and have been to many resorts and countries. Unless you speak Spanish well and have an incredable lot of patience I would not recommend this place. First off I paid a lot of extra money for Family Concierge Service at the Reserve. This was a complete waist of money. I do not believe I got anything even close to value for what I spent. The food was fair at best and the service was poor. They, the waiters spoke little english and took forever to serve you.
The worst part was there transportation system that would take you to the beach or dinner. You had to wait long periods of time. There is no system in place. Of course with the more expensive Concierge service they were supposed to take care of that. ( Don't count on it).
Apple booked my trip and for the second time in 2 years and really took advantage of us.I will never use Apple again or recommend them. We were to receive $300 credit for each room for the resort. We had 3 rooms. Never received vouchers or instructions from anybody. We incorrectly assumed we would receive credits. It cost us another $1000 for incidentals that we thought would be covered. Such as massages and wine. Tried to get Apple to change our time to airport by 1 hour and they refused. They said you needed 3 hours at Airport. Not true got there 2 hours before and waited at least 1 hour in a big crowded room.
Last but not least I have never traveled on a vacation and dealt with more people that were so totally un-accomadating to there customers.

3 Thank bern412