“The Reserve Vacation”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Sugar Land, Texas
“The Reserve Vacation”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 8, 2013

My wife and I just returned from a week at The Reserve at Paradisus Palma Real in Punta Cana. Overall we had a very relaxing and good time. We had upgraded to one of their Master Suites with a private pool walk out which was worth the extra money and I highly recommend it. We did have a couple of pros and cons we thought we would share. Pros were the location, the room and a couple of individuals who gave great service. Emanuel Velez was our room service person and he was outstanding and gave what I thought was 5 star treatment. Alexander our concierge was also very good. Other than that we felt the service was not on par for a resort that sells itself as a 5 star experience. The other cons was the food. We only experienced three good meals while there for 8 days and the best meal we had was on a private tour that went to the local beach (Macao Beach) and had fresh lobster and fish of the boat. Vento was the best meal and restaurant (though we did not pay the extra $100 to eat at Passion) where the food was excellent and the service very good. Overall the food was a disappointment. We also had to call three times to get our coffee maker and phone which were not working to get it corrected (2 days) and to get our double beds merged to one which we requested. I have stayed at other Melia properties in Mexico and China and found the service to be very good and those were not as highly touted as the The Reserve.

Room Tip: Get a master suite with the pool walkout - buildings 50 thru 54 are good. We were in 50 which was cl...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Rone L
Rafael T, General Manager at The Reserve at Paradisus Palma Real, responded to this review, July 11, 2013
Dear Rone,

It is truly a pleasure for me to hear that you and your wife had a wonderful time at our The Reserve at Paradisus Palma Real, and that you appreciated the friendliness and dedication of some of our staff members. You may rest assured that I took a good note of your observations.

Thank you for extending us your valuable comments and I look forward to host your next family vacation.

Kind regards,

Paradisus Resorts Punta Cana

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,432)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 8, 2013

My husband and I have been to several all inclusive destinations and we think the reverse has the best service we have ever experienced. The grounds are beautiful, there are plenty of staff around to cater to your every need and all are quite friendly. The language barrier was sometimes annoying but not too much of an issue. Our 1 year old son had a blast as well. The kids zone is brilliant for children of all ages and the staff are lovely. Special thanks to the following individuals who gave us exceptional service, Andy Florial, Jairo, Dalmy De La Rosa, Osvaldo Martinez, Raulin Cordero, Angela Mercedes. Deury Sobino and Roberto DeLeon, you guys were amazing. Thanks guys for making our first family holiday one to remember.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank george e
Dear George,

I love your kind comments about our staff and services. It is a privilege to know you consider us the best resort all inclusive destination. This kind of comment is a great incentive to all of us.

We cannot wait to welcome you back!

louisiana
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 7, 2013

My husband & 2 yo daughter stayed at the reserve from June 29-6th & had a wonderful time. I am going to focus a lot of my review on traveling with a younger child because I had a hard time finding this information prior to arrival.
A little background info..We have been lucky enough to travel to some great resorts in the caribbean and some of the most beautiful beaches so my review may be bias.
Prior to our stay I read many reviews and had a few concerns, main concern being the kids club & whether or not our service would be dependent upon whether we attended the timeshare presentation which we had already decided we would not attended.
Arrival
We arrived around 3pm and were greeted at the front of the hotel with a cold towel and asked our name then brought to the reception area where we were offered a drink & introduced to our concierge Jorge Zorilla. We were told we were upgraded to a bottom floor garden suite but we were offered to upgrade further to a master swim up suite for an additional charge. Jorge graciously offered to show us both rooms we had a hard time deciding if we should upgrade the garden suite & add family concierge or if we should go with the swim up suite & opt out of upgrading to the family concierge. We went with the swim up suite. Jorge did a great job showing us around the room and where everything was.
Room-
Very large and spacious two very large separate bathroom areas actually used one of them for my daughters crib because it allowed her to have a closed area & she loved it. Having the swim up rm was great because we could swim in the morning and if we needed anything in the room it was right there and you can swim to main pool from the rm. We never had to pack up our stuff & find a chair we had all of the conveniences right there.
Occupancy
I was told the reserve is at 100% occupancy for July which is very rare for low season, it did seem to be busier than previous reviews plenty of kids in kids pool & walking around the one day we were going to sit at pool we couldn't get a chair directly in front of pool but could get one on the side so it was a non issue. I do find it interesting that a review from right before our stay said there were rarely towels available when it was slow because even at max capacity we always had towels at pool & beach.
Timeshare-
So I was sure we getting extra special service and thought we were going to get asked any minute to do attend the "vacation club tour" by our concierge but thankfully we didn't get asked. Although, we did get approached by the "vacation concierge" aka timeshare presentation guy asking if he could bring us on a tour we simply told him we already own one & it was a non issue never asked again. I dont feel as Our level of service changed because of this. While I was checking out I overheard someone checking in and they introduced them to their "vacation concierge" the same one that approached us for their tour of the property so I think it just depends on how busy he is when you check in.
Reservations-
Jorge had made all of our reservations for us so we didn't have any issues with this. There was one night where we canceled a restaurant and forgot to rebook another restaurant and Jorge was quick to fix it and get us in.
Restaurant options
Overall, very happy with the food especially for an all inclusive. The perk about the reserve is that they have the Hydro grill (reserve) & Gabi beach (main resort) which you have access to that serve a la cart menu @ lunch time. I can honestly say that if we only had the lunch buffet option I would have been disappointed.
Hydro Grill- (reserve side) GREAT service every single time we went. I wish i could remember our servers name but this was the best & most consistent service I had all week. They have great lunch options & the steak was so good! We went for dinner one night & had the same great experience!
Gabi Club (reserve side)- It is open for breakfast, lunch and dinner but only a buffet and doesn't offer an a la cart option. We ate Breakfast here every morning it offered a nice variety and was good. We only ate here one time for lunch & thought it was just okay.
Gabi beach (main resort)- had both dinner and lunch here & it was very good had many appealing options. Bar tenders aren't overly friendly.
Mizu & Aqua (reserve side)
Overall pretty good. Mizu hibachi style offered great entertainment beyond the normal entertainment we have experienced. The chef & server were super friendly I think this made up for the food. It was just different than the traditional hibachi here in the US but is great entertainment for the kids.
Mole (main resort)- This is the mexican restaurant and were both happy with our dishes.
Market Grill- (main resort)- this is more casual but is overlooking the beach so offered a nice setting we both had the ribeye which was thin but tasty.
Vento- food was good but service was not very good. Small portions.
Entertainment-
The Reserve was overall pretty quiet. Gabi club had entertainment usually from 8-9 consisting of a DJ or live entertainment. Each day was themed dominican night etc. but it didn't seem to last long nor was there much of a crowd. I guess this is because if you want more to do you can always go to main resort where the lobby bar usually has a live music at night, gabi beach has a DJ or you can go to one of the shows. We went to the fire show at gabi one night and it was really good didn't start until about 9:30 and went on for an hour or so.
Service-
overall was very good but depended on where we were. Housekeeping, concierge, babysitters & kids club were all very good. The bartender at aqua was great & always had a drink suggestion.
Babysitting-
unbelievable thanks to Marlenia & alejandra who were great with our daughter so much so that when she woke up in the morning she said "where did my friend go?" They would go out of there way to find her and give her a balloon & are the best of the best! Thank you again for everything! They were readily available even with just a few hours of notice.
Kids club
I think I was a little confused when it came to the kids club I thought they had a program for the kids from 1-4 with scheduled activities (I guess more so like a cruise kids club) & a schedule for the 5+ but that was not the case. The 1-4 yo have a large room with toys and a large TV that had kids shows on then a separate room which had about 6 cribs and is very dark for nap time. The staff will sit & play with the 1-4 but they don't actually have a schedule of activities. The staff was great I only left my daughter 2 times to play for an hour or so & she seemed like she was having fun but I think she would have enjoyed it more if they had a few scheduled games throughout the day like songs or a few games but I understand this is hard to do with such an age difference. They can play outside on the jumper or large gym but you do have to be there to assist. I did however bring my daughter to the club every day for her nap. I was shocked how well this went we would simply bring her in the nap room put her in the crib & told her it was nap time & she seemed to love it & napped for 3 hrs at a time! This allowed us to have sometime by the beach and pool it worked out perfectly. They have a camera in the nap room similar to the one we have a home to watch them although it did go out a few times they would go check on her. My husband and I took an excursion one day & left her in the kids club to nap but they required us to hire a babysitter to be onsite while we were gone which I completely understand and it worked out well. I wish I remembered her name but she was also very helpful.
Ages 5+ looked like they were having a blast in the club they had some great activities! They had a schedule everyday some examples of the activities offered are shirt painting, swim lessons, swimming in the kids pool & the teachers actually got in the pool with them to do activities, & a pirate treasure hunt. The staff all seemed to speak pretty good English.
Beach
The beach was lined with palm trees & went on forever. The sand was powder soft & luckily the reserve has a roped off area. The family concierge could have chairs reserved in advance where we had to find our own. Although the resort was at max capacity we could always find a spot. The water is nice & like previous reviews there is seaweed on the beach but not much you just walk over it they do their best to clean it but something's you don't have control over. You could avoid it for the most part while in the water. It's nice but I wouldn't compare it to other crystal clear beaches I have been to mostly impart because of the seaweed. The first few days the service was hit or miss it depended on what time we got out there then we met Andy who was wonderful he found us chairs, brought us towels and drinks and just took great care of us! I didn't mind tipping for his service it was well worth it!
Tipping
I find that it was appreciated by some but didn't make a huge difference in service. Regardless we would tip the same.
I know very, very basic Spanish & was able to get by just fine. I realize we are in a Spanish speaking country & there may be a language barrier but on very few occasions did we have a language barrier.
Lastly, we didn't have family concierge so we can't compare the two but I am glad we saved the money. If we have several children a little older we may consider it in the future but Jorge took such great care of us we didn't need anyone else.
The staff that truly standout and that made our vacation so memorable are Jorge, Marlenia & alejandra who went the extra mile for our daughter. I also would like to recognize all of the guys at hydro grill and the bartender in aqua I apologize for not getting names before we left. I would definitely recommend the reserve to friends.

Room Tip: We had a first floor swim up suite if you can get an upgrade its worth it.
4 Thank sam0256
Dear Guest,

Thank you for selecting The Reserve at Paradisus Palma Real for your stay and for your pleasing comments about our services, restaurants, and grounds.

It will be an honor to host your next stay in the future. I am sure you will experience the best vacation ever.

Best regards,

New York City, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 7, 2013

This is hands down one of the best all inclusive spot I've ever been at. I needed a relaxation in the worse way and this place provided that and beyond. For the most part, the staff was very friendly, the food was excellent (especially for an all inclusive - they even had lobster tail one night at one of the buffet - restaurants were good too but food in general was great), room was really nice, plenty of pools (never felt crowded) and even the guests were all nice.

I would have given this place a 5 star but our concierge assigned to us, Luisada(sp?) was not very helpful at all. She never helped us with dinner reservations and even when we asked her for help to book dinner, golf, or other misc items, - she never gets back to us with the the information or leave us a message - we have to chase her down or ask for help from someone else. I don't want one bad apple to ruin our trip but she was our concierge and we paid for this service.

All the other staff were very friendly and helpful especially Bernado Santana. Our concierge did not help us arrange our departure details such as our bags or cab so Bernando took care of all that for us - He definitely goes above and beyond to make sure you have a good experience. Juan Jose Kosa was also very friendly - refilled our goodies every day!

Not sure about the regular but the Reserve at this place is highy recommended.

Room Tip: Stay at the Reserve
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you for considering us the best all inclusive spot. This kind of comment serves as a great motivation for all of us.

It will be always an honor to host your stays in the future.

Regards,

Toronto, Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 7, 2013

We had a mixed reaction to our 7 night stay at Palma Real Reserve from June 16 to June 23, 2013. Like most people have said it is a gorgeous resort, but the customer service is terrible. We have gone to different Melia Resorts in Mexico including Paradisus Playa Del Carmen La Perla and Me Cancun for many years now and had loved every minute of it. Unfortunately The Reserve failed miserably in comparison. If you expect to get any kind of service come to you, then you will be disappointed. We are not picky eaters and have traveled all over the world so we are certainly willing to try new flavors and different foods, however the food in this resort is really poor, very unmemorable and generally disappointing, so don't expect wonderful dining experiences. We hit some speed bumps along the way, but we didn't let it ruin things for us. We definitely won't be back anytime soon - they have a long way to go with regard to customer service and food. Oh, bring mosquito spray they were biting !!!
A shout to some special people who work very hard at this resort and deserve to be mentioned.
Miguel Angel Piliev ; Felipe Pinales ; Santo Ozuna and the wonderful team at the SPA - always kind and helpful and not in a fake way. Too bad the rest of the staff is so poorly trained AND NOT UP TO PAR.

Room Tip: Go for a swim up suite, it is worth every penny.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
8 Thank Milos1980
Dear Guest,

I would like to extend you our most sincere apologies for any difficulties you may have experienced during your stay.

I must say that in general our guests perceive our services as an excellent. Nevertheless, I am sorry that your experience was not what you expected. I assure you that the managers of the various departments involved have been informed of your particular observations and that appropriate measures will be taken wherever possible.

I hope the situations described do not deter you from visiting our resort on a future stay.

Regards,

Seattle, Washington
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 7, 2013

We just returned from 7 days at this resort.

Good:
Nice Room - we were upgraded to the master suite, giving us a lot of room, with separate living and sleeping areas, indoor and outdoor Jacuzzis etc..
Good Kids Arrangements - has a separate kids pool with slides and a separate kiddie pool. Also the absolutely great kids zone, where you can drop off your kids till about 6 PM and rest assured they will be well taken care of
Prompt room service - Never had to wait more than 30 minutes for room service. All room service attendants were very courteous
Good Spa Facilities with good quality of services (albeit pricey)
Use of most facilities at the main Palma Real Hotel with access to a superb beach, many included restaurants (very imp), and an awesome pool.

The Not-so-good
Food was mediocre even by All Inclusive standards.
Room Service options were very limited
Reserve only had 2 restaurants (Food at Aqua was average, service was forgettable, Food and Service at Mizu was good) and at the Buffet place (Gabi Club) food and service was mediocre..so you definitely need the options at the main hotel
Wifi was super flaky...in our room, there were two spots where we got maybe 1 bar on wifi (some may call this a blessing in disguise though :))
Service at the beach was very slow
Most notable...We were almost lured into a Time Share presentation, with our Concierge even suggesting we would lose the $1,500 in coupons the resort provided. This was not advertised on the Melia site so we pushed the concierge hard, only to learn the Time Share presentation was optional...at which point we opted out of it...don't want to spend up to a couple hours of your vacation listening to a sales pitch. This is one thing that needs to be handled much better by the resort.
Finally, the $1,500 in coupons will require you to spend like $3000-5000 to avail all of it. E.g there is coupon for a $400 room upgrade...but the next room upgrade costs $1000, so you would have to pay $600 to use that coupon. Most usable were the $20 coupons for wine and $50 for spa (however, you can clearly tell the wines and spa services are seriously marked up).

5 Thank Inder2111
Dear Guest,

Please accept my gratitude for taking the time to air your comments and observations. Your observations are very important to us as they allow us to identify our improvement areas.

I am sorry to hear your perception about our cuisine. It is very difficult to please all of our guests in this aspect especially since everyone’s perception on food is very personal. I assure you that your comments on this respect have been send to our Executive chef.

I hope the inconveniences experienced will not deter you from returning back in the near future. I will personally make sure you have a nicer stay than this time.

Best regards,

Boca Raton, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 6, 2013

My wife and me recently went to the Spa for a massage and ended up staying for more than two hours using the facilities at the Spa as well. A special thanks to Maria Pilier, Evelyn Rodriguez for their service and to Juanita and aracelis for their profesionalism performing the massages.

1 Thank Algy Arturo F
Dear Guest,

It is good to know you had indulged in a world-class spa holiday in the world’s most luxurious surroundings. I am very thankful for your comments towards Maria, Evelyn, Juana, & Aracelis,

The Yhi Spa experience will be waiting for you!