“Beautiful property, excellent food, great service”

The Reserve at Paradisus Palma Real
Ranked #3 of 112 Hotels in Punta Cana
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed December 17, 2012

Having spent a wonderful honeymoon in the South Pacific several years ago, we were hoping that the Caribbean would measure up on our first visit...and the Dominican Republic certainly did! We spent a wonderful week at The Reserve, and everything was top-notch...from the food, to the resort facilities, to the staff and service.

Our suite was huge (and we had the "smallest" one available at The Reserve...about 800 sq ft), and it also had a large balcony with a jacuzzi tub, along with a spacious sitting/living area. There was more than enough closet space and the bathroom was a nice size, with two sinks and a walk-in shower. The in-room minibar is free and restocked daily...be sure to try the pear juice and plantain chips!

The staff at the resort was excellent...the grounds and indoor spaces were impeccable, and everything was beautiful and well-manicured. When we had two small maintenance issues in our bathroom, they were fixed within hours of the request (one of them was literally fixed by the time we came back from breakfast 45 minutes later)!

The majority of the staff spoke conversational English, and we never had any language issues. Some staff members really went out of their way to provide great service, such as Pedro Paulino each morning at breakfast and Aneuris Miguel Santana at the Gabi bar. One staff member in particular, Julio Moya, was always very attentive when we were in the pool area, making us feel as if we had a personal concierge. He would always get us towels on arrival, check on us at least once an hour for food and drink, and would bring around appetizers throughout the day.

The variety and quality of food choices at the resort was simply amazing. Being guests at The Reserve, we had access not only to all of the main resort's restaurants, but also to three restaurants exclusively for Reserve guests. We were especially impressed with the quality of the buffet choices at breakfast, lunch, and dinner--it was a great way to sample smaller portions of the gourmet food being served. At night, the dining experiences were also very memorable, especially Bana Sushi, Vento, and Aqua.

There was always a full-service bar close by, and all of them served top-shelf liquor at no extra charge. Each bar has a drink of the day, but often they were different across the resort, and not all bartenders seemed to know how to make all of the drinks...which was not really a problem, because "something fruity for my wife" worked every time!

The after-dinner entertainment also exceeded our expectations, with a variety of different themed evenings, such as a Dominican Night, a beach party with fire dancers, and even a Michael Jackson tribute show.

During our entire stay, there were really only two experiences that were less than perfect. The room upgrade pricing is done per night, per person--which does not seem to make much sense since you'd be consuming the same amount of food and alcohol either way. Since were staying for 7 nights, the upgrade costs really added up, and we would have had to spend several hundred dollars (even with a $400 resort upgrade credit--see below) just to get a little more space--clearly not worth it. Having to deal with this situation immediately upon check-in was not a great welcome, but the rest of our stay was so fantastic that we quickly forgot about it.

We had also received a $1,000 resort credit with our 7-night stay--which sounds great at first. However, it turns out that it's extremely difficult to use any of it without spending at least the same amount of your own money. For example, you get three $50 spa vouchers, but the eligible services must cost at least $100, and you can only use one voucher per treatment. The only ones that we ended up using several times were the $20 wine vouchers, which can be applied regardless of price (for example, there are several $30 and $35 wine bottles on the menu). It's understandable that the resort credit would be used to encourage you to spend more money, but they could at least be a little more subtle about it and not require you to essentially match each "free" dollar one-for-one.

However, these two issues were not a big concern and had very little impact on our overall perfect vacation. We were really glad that we chose The Reserve because we ended up using many of its benefits daily. For example, the Reserve pool area was never crowded and much more private than the main resort pool. The breakfast experience was much less busy, and we had additional restaurant choices for dinner. Even at the beach, there was a separate area with more comfortable lounge chairs where we never had a problem finding a spot. As a bonus, there was also an exclusive pool area with a bar right next to the beach--so we used that one quite a bit!

Overall, our week at The Reserve was a fabulous experience that we will never forget. The food, exquisite grounds, beautiful beaches, and island culture left us wanting to plan more trips to the Caribbean!

Room Tip: If you have a room with a garden view (not pool view), then try to get one of the buildings that are...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank DanielAndRachel
Rafael T, General Manager at The Reserve at Paradisus Palma Real, responded to this reviewResponded December 28, 2012

Dear Daniel & Rachel,

Thank you for extending us your beautiful comments about our rooms, services, and staff. Your kind and valuable words left me speechless as there is not greater satisfaction than learning that all your expectations were exceeded and that you will return in a near future.

I look forward to have the pleasure to welcome you again at your second home, The Reserve at Paradisus Palma Real Resort.

Reviewed December 16, 2012

Our stay at the Reserve was made wonderful by the staff. I was a little disappointed at how hard it is to do local things and get away from the hotel life, however the staff brought the culture to us. Once we started getting to know them, it was much easier to understand the Dominican way. There were so many events, classes, spa treatments and expeditions offered by the hotel. If you do go, be prepared to just relax at the hotel. If you want to go explore local culture this is not the place, but if you would like to have a care free time and not have to worry about a thing... you'll enjoy the all inclusiveness of this great place.

My favorite staff members were Leidy Espinal who hostessed various places throughout the day. She was so funny and friendly. She gave us so many great pointers and made, and helped us make friends while we were there and enjoy our nights out. I also loved Hamlet Rosa, a server there. He was the most genuine and sincere man. He helped with a happy heart, and was so friendly and kind. It amazed me how welcoming these two staff members were, and the whole staff really. It felt like we had known them our whole lives, even though we'd only met a few days into the trip. LOVED IT.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank kayu1989

Dear Guest,

Our commitment is to provide the highest quality service beyond our guests’ expectations, and it is a real pleasure for us to learn that we have achieved our goal. I am happy to know that you have appreciated the warmth and dedication of Leidy Espinal and Hamlet Rosa. I have passed on your comments to each one of them.

We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back in the near future to give you all the comfort and excellent service that The Reserve at Paradisus Palma Real can provide.

Reviewed December 15, 2012

The service in this hotel was great! had a problem at the begining of our stay and Genaro Gill was pivotal in resolving the situation and certantly made up for the incovenience we had on our first nigth. All staff is very friendly and ready to please you and acomodate. The barman Gustavo Castro at the Gavy beach bar is very nice and friendly. Juan Crispin , bellboy is also very attentive. Hamlet Rosa's service was flawless.Gregorio Morrobel, the captain of the bellboys the most cordial.Overall the service is very good.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Sandra S

Dear Sandra,

It is truly a pleasure for me to hear that you and your friends had a great stay at our The Reserve at Paradisus Palma Real, and that you appreciated the friendliness and dedication of Genaro Gil, Gustavo Castro, Juan Crispin, and Hamlet Rosa. You may rest assured that I took a good note of your observations.

Best regards,

Reviewed December 15, 2012

Our trip started with some minor issues but everyone went the extra mile to make our stay wonderful. All the staff is extremely helpful and finding ways to make you feel comfortable and happy. I would like to specially mention Hamlet Rosa who was our server in a few of the restaurants. He was exceptional and always very accomodating Also, the bellboys were extremely cordially specially Juan Crispin. The barman Gustavo Castro, always knew what we wanted and how we wanted. Georges at the beach, always very attentive. Then our concierge, Sarah, the captain of Bellboys, Gregorio Morrobel, and lastly, Genaro Gill from Guest Services who was extraordinary. The condition of the Hotel is excellent, from the rooms to the public areas . The beach is beatiful and very quiet and peacefull. We will definitely come back and try to make this our yearly vacation!

Room Tip: Higher floor looking to the pool are very nice.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank mariamanuelam

Dear Guest,

Your kind and valuable words left me speechless as there is not greater satisfaction than learning that all your expectations were exceed and that you will return in a near future.

The Reserve team is going to be more than glad to welcome you back for a next excellent vacation.

Reviewed December 14, 2012

i would like to mention one employee who always had smile on his face and was always eager to extend a helping hand or a cold drink. (Felix Sanchez) bartender at the bar near the pool always inquired on how he could help us whether it be about food, drinks, places to go and visit. He went above and beyond his duties to make us feel comfortable while on vacation.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank MICHAEL M

Dear Michael,

At the Reserve at Paradisus Palma Real we have a commitment to provide quality service beyond our guests’ expectations, and it is a real pleasure for us to learn that we have achieved our goal. I feel proud and grateful for your compliments on the efforts and dedication demonstrated by Felix Sanchez. It is thanks to employees like him that we are able to accomplish our goal - the total satisfaction of our guests.

Michael, we will be waiting for you to experience another service beyond your expectations.

Reviewed December 11, 2012

Hopefully you have read reviews preceding this one and we agree whole heartily with all the positive remarks so I will not reiterate them here.

We are retired and have traveled primarily in the "time share" world for the last 20 years or so. This has been our first experience with an all inclusive resort and we are overwhelmed by the courtesy and quality of service we have received since our arrival.

We would be remiss if we did not give credit to some of the outstanding people that made our visit a thing of joy and beauty.

First of all we must thank Marlenia Belliard of Guest Services, she simply made whatever we asked of her to become our reality and would greet us every time we would happen upon each other by name and always that lovely smile, bless you Marlenia.

The travel was never a problem between the main hotel or the beach and for us, the golf course was important also and we must personally thank Gregory for his friendly help and prompt service.

Breakfast was our favorite meal at The Resort, always eggs made just the way you want ,an omelet or some concoctions I did not understand but enjoyed watching being made by the morning chef...I regret that I do not know his name but you will know him if you get him, young, friendly and I think maybe from New York or New Jersey at some point in his life!

Lady....what more can be said about her but her name tells it all...always the happy smile and the perfect table with JUST the right breeze and the perfectly prepared Mimosa!
Hamlet, Juan and company are delightful and the coffee and juice is always there and fresh, thanks guys!!!

Can't forget the guys at the "Fun Store", these guys have the liquor and we had some really good nights... Thanks to Gustavo and Feliz behind the bar, oh by the way don't come here thinking they will have your bourbon whiskey, Canadian Club and Jack Daniel's if your lucky. The word whiskey here means Scotch Whisky.
I leave my last comment for 2 men who truly made our trip a trip to remember.... Subeiol Castro and David. Every time we would meet they made us feel more welcome and tried to teach ol' dummy here another world of Spanish. You guys are the best

What I have hoped to convey is that ,it is a GIVEN that you are coming to this Resort and when you get here ASK for these people, you will not regret it.
Steve

• Stayed: December 2012
3  Thank Sixstring48
Reviewed December 11, 2012

My family and another 4 person family travelled to The Reserve the first week of Dec. We were all very pleased with our stay, it was much better then we were expecting. I feel almost all of the reviews I read we're quite accurate. I do want to add a few minor details that I would have appreciated knowing.
If you are sensative to scents, beware! There are little pots of scented oil, and incense everywhere. While this has a wonderful effect, I can see how it would bother some. I was particularly effected by the scented toilet paper in our room!
The credits only cover the portion of anything. There are cheap/passable wines you can purchase, my bottle only cost me $5 extra and I felt it was worth it as the house wine was terrible. We also used our $400 upgrade. Even though this didn't make much of a dent in the total price, we were very happy with the master suite. With two big boys, we were happy for the extra space and a door that closed. LOVED the bathtub on the balcony!
There are many activities but because of poor signage, we missed some things.
The reserve grounds are small and private, you can always find a "quiet" corner. Always relaxing/pleasant music playing. The walk to the bigger resort is not long and very pleasant because of the paved road/sidewalks and gardens/ponds along the way. If you don't want to walk, go to any lobby and you will get a ride immediately!
We loved the beach! It was big, beautiful, and clean. Many chairs covered and uncovered. Not sure about the waiters, didn't see one all week!! You can walk for miles and when approached by the locals want you to shop, say gracias and keep moving.
There is a free snorkelling trip any day the water cooperates. Although the reef they go is quite damaged, there's lots of fish
We were apprehensive about the food. Although it wasn't fantastic, it was good. The buffets were just fine. The one by the beach is bigger and better then the one at Gabi Reserve. The restaurants always had a table of 8 for us and that was appreciated.
We saw quite a difference in service staff between the two resorts. Everyone at the Reserve provided great service, with a smile! Two gentlemen stood out in particular but i forget there names. One provided real coconuts for my children to drink the milk from. The other man provided me with mint tea, the morning after I had been looking for it. It was nice he remembered my face and request.
Top shelf alcohol is only served at the Reserve Gabi bar. Ask for it even if you don't see it. I only drink Grey Goose and they keep it in the freezer. They will even make a couple "to go" so you can take it to the other resort. They also have chips and popcorn! These guys work LONG hours. We made sure we gave them a little something extra to show our appreciation!
Because of the BEAUTIFUL! vegetation, there are Mosquitos. If you sit in the beds covered with leaves and vines, you will get eaten alive. I don't think this is a big surprise!
The last thing I'd like to draw attention to is the decor. There are so many different design touches in this resort. Lots of gorgeous colours and patterns, artwork, sculptures, water features, candles and lanterns are lit at night, soft music throughout the whole resort, the scents as mentioned before, comfortable seating, well manicured grounds and good quality textiles (towels/sheets/linen). These are all things I enjoyed and they enhanced my stay.
Although my husband and I enjoy Mexico the most, we would definitely come back to The Reserve!

Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family