“Great experience at the Reserve!”

The Reserve at Paradisus Palma Real
Ranked #4 of 111 Hotels in Punta Cana
GreenLeadersSilver level
New Rochelle, New York
“Great experience at the Reserve!”
Reviewed November 14, 2012

My family and I visited Punta Cana for the first time this past April as guests at The Reserve. We fully enjoyed ourselves. The rooms were well appointed and maintained. The food was exceptional. It's worth noting Francois at the Hydro Grill made us feel right at home and always prepared fantastic meals. Luis, the bartender at the Gabi Grill made my seven year old specialty virgin drinks that he still raves about! the Kids Zone was awesome and the Yahii Spa made you feel like royalty....Bottom Line: if you're looking to relax in a family friendly environment, I couldn't imagine a better place. We're making arrangements to go back this spring!!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
Rafael T, General Manager at The Reserve at Paradisus Palma Real, responded to this review, November 23, 2012
Dear Khalil,

I am glad to learn you have had a great stay with us and that you enjoyed our services and facilities. Our biggest satisfaction is to know that all your expectations were exceed and that you will return in a near future.

It is going to be an honor to host your stay this spring.

Kind regards,

Paradisus Resorts Punta Cana

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,463)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
New Jersey
Reviewed November 13, 2012

Just returned with my family from an AMAZING 7 day vacation at Palma Real and would highly recommend this resort, especially with families.

Before leaving, we were undecided about upgrading to the Reserve, but upon checking in, Mr. Beard applied our $200. room upgrade to the Reserve and we could not pass. It was money well spent. The Reserve offered a unique pool and additional restaurants not available to those staying at the resort. Likewise, the snack bar at the pool was a nice addition to the restaurants, as it allowed our daughters a tasty snack mid-afternoon and held them over until dinner (although someone needs to teach the chef how to make wings-the breading is thick cornmeal and nothing like wings found at your local watering hole).

The restaurants offered good dinners overall, with only one meal that was a complete disappointment. We ate at the Market Grill, and were served T-Bones that were no thicker than ¼” and the meat was almost impossible to cut, let alone consume (we learned that this restaurant was actually closing down and we ate their the last night of operation) Other meals at the various restaurants were well prepared and we enjoyed. The buffet is great for families, offering a huge assortment for breakfast, lunch and dinner. There are 2 made to order areas where the chefs will accommodate just about any request to prepare the offerings how you like them or even make something special if desired. The buffet at the Reserve is small, but has a premium offering of meats and dishes that we all enjoyed.

Of special note was the service provided by our waiter, Hamlet Rosa at the Reserve. We have eaten at many 5 star restaurants in NYC and around the world, and Hamlet missed his calling. He could easily work at one of the best restaurants and is quite polished to do so. He welcomed us with a huge smile every day and made our daughters feel special with his happy demeanor and willingness to always accommodate any special requests (why the Reserve restaurant does not offer cream cheese in the morning with their bagels and lox is a mystery but Hamlet somehow always had the cream cheese ready upon our return to the table from selecting our breakfast food). Likewise, he made our final dinner simply perfect at the Italian restaurant Aqua or final evening. He is clearly their finest waiter and we greatly appreciated everything he provided.

The concierge service at the Reserve is a nice touch. We had a great experience with Ms. Belliard, Ruquermin Vasquez and Alenys Martinez on several occasions. All were willing to assist in booking meals, water sports or providing suggestions on activities to do. We were somewhat surprised that the concierge “assigned” to us, Dalmy, continued to push the time share offering on us. Although we informed her we had no interest, she tried on several occasions to convince us to attend a breakfast with her in order to receive a free 7 day stay at the Palma. Likewise, when we declined, another gentleman dressed in all white with glasses near the buffet entrance took the lead and again tried to persuade/pressure us to attend another breakfast pitch. Later we learned that the 7 day offering does not include any meals or flights. Regardless, we were extremely annoyed that the time share was a primary focus and that the Palma Real would condone this, especially to the guests staying at the Reserve and after telling the employees that we had no interest. We were on vacation to relax, not be constantly bothered with this sales pitch.

The beach and pool could not have been better either. The pool is HUGE and our daughters made many friends during the week. Drinks flowed freely and were served within minutes of ordering. If you get to the pool in the early morning, there are a few “coconut” gardeners dressed in green who will be more than happy to climb the palm trees, cut down a coconut and cut it open for your drinking enjoyment. As with all of the employees, tipping is appreciated.

Although some of the reviews note poor food and rooms, we have nothing but great things to say about the entire establishment and employees (minus the Time share badgering). For the money, the Palma Real and the Dominican Republic is a great vacation spot. Upgrade to the Reserve, book your restaurant reservations your first day and enjoy your stay.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank BLAKE W
Dear guest,

In the Reserve we have a strong commitment to provide quality service beyond our guests` expectations, and it is a real pleasure for us to learn that we have achieved our goal.

Please allow to express you my gratitude for your compliments on the efforts and dedication demonstrated by our staff, especially by Hamlet Rosa. It is thanks to our staff members that we are able to accomplish our goal - the total satisfaction of our guests.

Thank you for preferring The Reserve at Paradisus Palma Real and we look forward to host your next stay.

Paradisus Resorts Punta Cana
Whitby, Canada
Reviewed November 13, 2012

A special thank you to PEDRO PAULINO. I went to the reserve during my birthday, Pedro made my birthday extra special by putting in the effort to getting me a spectacular and delicious cake. He made my birthday fun and remember-able. He was cheery and upbeat and sung "happy birthday to me". He is very kind and friendly and made my stay and 13th birthday extra special. Thank you Pedro Paulino!

We went at a perfect time not too busy....the service is spectacular. Thanks to Christian, Joe Angel,Beautiful, Dalliance ,Ronni, Gregory....and many more who were so helpful and friendly. Making our stay so enjoyable!!!! Definitely a place we would return to and recommend.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Sandra D
Rafael T, General Manager at The Reserve at Paradisus Palma Real, responded to this review, November 21, 2012
Dear guest,

I would like to thank you for the confidence placed in us to celebrate your vacations and for your compliments on the efforts and dedication demonstrated by Pedro Paulino. I feel proud to know he provided you an excellent service making your birthday more special.

We are aware that it is thanks to our excellent team that we are able to accomplish our goal - the total satisfaction of our guests. I will gladly pass on your compliments to Joe, Angel, Dalliance, Ronni, and Gregory.

We are going to be more than glad to welcome you soon at your second home, The Reserve at Paradisus Palma Real Resort.

Indianapolis, Indiana
Reviewed November 11, 2012

Things were a little mixed up at the beginning but I believe that was due to booking through expedia. Other than the lack of response and misrepresentation of the rooms on Expedia the trip was fantastic. GLADYS AND HAMLET ROSA made my trip wonderful. The resort is over the top beautiful, the food is good, and the service is top notch. The beds and couches are not exceptionally comfortable. That small issue wouldn't stop me from returning to this resort. I would say it would be a great place for a couple, very romantic. I went with my best friend and I think that it would've been better for a couple.

Room Tip: Get the private swim up pool, it is worth the extra money.
1 Thank burgessec
Dear guest,

It is truly a pleasure for me to hear that you and your best friend had an exceptional stay at our The Reserve at Paradisus Palma Real, and that you appreciated the friendliness and dedication of Gladys and Hamlet Rosa. You may rest assured that I took a good note of your observations.

Once more, thank you for extending us your valuable comments and I look forward to welcome you back soon at The Reserve at Paradisus Palma Real Resort.

Kind regards,

Reviewed November 11, 2012

My family and I just came back from our vacation at The Reserve and I can honestly say that it was the best vacation we have ever had! The resort is spectacular, the service is amazing, the food delicious and plenty of options, and the drinks were awesome too. Luxury everywhere and very modern...we loved it! Beautiful pools, the kid zone was great too, plenty of activities for the kids. The beach was incredible. Special thanks to the amazing staff that made us feel special from day one: Dominica kept out rooms clean all the time and she always had a big smile on her face; Ana was our concierge and she was great! Helped us with everything we needed; and Hamlet, one of the servers, was especially great with us and our son, provided us with the best service and a big smile all the time! Overall I only have great things to say about this resort...it was amazing!

• Stayed October 2012
1 Thank WojVac
Dear Family,

I am very pleased to know that you had a wonderful stay with us and it is a real honour for me to hear your comments about our facilities and the exceptional service you have received from Dominica, Ana, and Hamlet Rosa. I will personally pass on your comments to each one of them.

The Reserve team is going to be more than glad to welcome you back for a next amazing vacation.

Faribault, Minnesota
Reviewed November 11, 2012

Let me preface by saying I read a lot of reviews before I pick a place to go...I don't think the reviews of thIs place did it justice and in fact I believe are misleading. My fiancé and I like to travel and have visited a variety of places from Tokyo to Mexico to Singapore and even stateside - Miami, Los Angeles and NYC.

We will not return. On our last day we did our 5 favorite things and our 5 least favorite things. Our room was tolerable, we had a swim out. But our shower leaked badly and our shampoo was never replenished unless we called, which was everyday! I thought the bed was hard (beds at the Fairmont in Mayakoba were awesome as well as the beds at Secrets Maroma). There were lots of little bugs, mosquitos and noseums everywhere. The food was terrible and the drinks not much better. There was very little top shelf alcohol (compared to the Secrets Maroma, which had the best tequilas- don julio, herradura (both blanco and reposada) and others, vodkas and rums). Everything was low end like karkov vodka and some no name tequilas and only Dominican rum. Very little beer choice besides Presidente and Carona.

Now onto the food...there were only 4 fruits served each morning and they were always the same. omlets we're good but not great. Bread was stale, overall breakfast was pretty boring and not a lot of local fare other than platanos done a different way each day. There was cereal an yogurt offered each day. This was all at the Gabi Club. The Japanese place and Aqua were both mediocre places to eat. Not good quality food. The bartender in the Aqua bar was excellent and did make a nice Cosmo with Absolute Mandarin. Also a decent gin and tonic. Those were the only good drinks we had. The pool bar food was not good either. The nachos were soggy and overall pretty hit or miss. I had the veggie tacos...I expected fresh vegetables and a nice crunch and flavor with the pico de gallo. They were not edible - everything was deep fat fried.

We had a "butler" who was supposed to book things for us. He did the first two nights of dinner reservations and then never asked again. His name was Jose and he was terrible. He said he'd tell us about the lobster night, he never did. We tried to get into the Gabi beach for dinner and when we walked down without a reservation they turned us away, ridiculous. The restaurant was not even half full. And the resort was not busy at all! Service was slow on all counts. We sat at a table by the Gabi bar for 10 minutes and no one came over, even though there were two bartenders at the bar.

Onto the good...grounds are pristine and beautiful, pools are kept up very well - we went to the reserve pool as well as the pools at the main resort. Beach is beautiful and very wide at this specific location. Pillow choice was nice, but it took us two nights to realize we had a choice! At the Reserve they had a nice room off of registration area that was stocked with little treats and champagne. Keep your food simple. My fiancé liked it when they had fresh fish or mussels in the buffet areas. He would have them grilled and then add pico to them. We did struggle a bit with the language, we asked for salsa or pico de gallo once and they brought out tomato soup! Seriously.

Room Tip: We enjoyed our swim out area. It was very private.
13 Thank Jenjo2403
Dear guest,

I would like to apologize for any inconveniences that you may have experienced during your stay with us. As you may know, guest satisfaction is our top priority and therefore we are very concerned with the fact that we did not impress you with some of our services. I assure you that I have taken a good note of your particular observations.

Thank you for your valuable comments. I do hope to have the opportunity to serve you again here at our The Reserve at Paradisus Palma Real.

Arlington
Reviewed November 11, 2012

My girflriend and I recently returned from a wonderful 5 night 6 day vacation at the Reserve. Prior to booking the trip we read the majority of reviews on trip advisor. Everything that can be said about the resort already has been and all of it is true. The grounds are beautiful, the rooms are perfect, and the service is top notch. I would not hesitate to recommend this resort to all my friends and family. I would like to say a special thank you to the following people that made our stay that much more special: Felix Sanchez and Gustavo Castro at Gabi, they made the nights enjoyable and were a lot of fun. Devry Sabino and Hamlet Rosa who provided us with two of our more enjoyable dinners and finally Julio Moya who made sure we never wanted for anything while lounging by the pool.

A true commitment to service exists at this resort and I believe that is what made our trip so enjoyable. With that being said the only negative experience we had was in relation to endless requests to attend a vacation club presentation. I understand there is a lot of value for the hotel chain in having individuals sign up this program but a simple "no thank you" should suffice if a guest is not interested. If it was not for the service of the people I mentioned before there is no way I would consider visiting this resort again.

1 Thank Patrick C
Dear Patrick,

I greatly appreciate your compliments about our hotel infrastructure, services, staff, and grounds. As you noticed, our commitment is to provide quality service beyond our guests’ expectations and it is a real pleasure for us to learn that we have achieved our goal.

I have taken a good note of your observations regarding to our Club Melia presentation in order to take the appropriate measures.

Patrick, it will be more than a pleasure to welcome you and your girlfriend again at this your second home, The Reserve at Paradisus Palma Real.

Best regards,