“Okay facility -- lacking service and attention, not as "luxury" as described.”

The Reserve at Paradisus Palma Real
Ranked #3 of 112 Hotels in Punta Cana
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed October 4, 2011

Nice pools.

Service non-existent

King bedroom is two double beds put together.

Food leaves much to be desired.

Very high pressure time share and activity sales everywhere you go. They stalk you everywhere you go, breakfast, lunch, dinner, pool. They will find you.

• Stayed: October 2011
1  Thank Latraveltravel
There are newer reviews for The Reserve at Paradisus Palma Real

Reviewed October 4, 2011

This is truly a luxury resort with luxurious accommodations. Of special note is the service received from the staff - courteous, friendly, and always wanting to please. Diana Mejia of the Gabi Club was especially helpful and deserves special mention.

Room Tip: All the rooms are jacuzzi suites, but one overlooking the pool might be a little better than the &qu...
Reviewed September 30, 2011

First and foremost is the "timeshare" salespitch WARNING! Do not, I repeat do not attend or even agree to attend any such gathering. With that said, here is the rest of the story. When you arrive in Punta Cana and collect your luggage be aware of men grabbing your luggage out of your hands. When they roll or carry your bag approx. 100ft. they then demand a tip for a unsolicited service..WOW! Then comes the ride to the hotel, be ready to be terrified! Drivers dont follow any rules and drive like they have been drinking all day. When you arrive at the hotel and check in the service is good, friendly however English isnt their strong suit. Their website boasts like 10 resturants, however only 2 are open a day. The food is hit and miss and substitutions many!! The drinks are weak, and only one kind of beer is availible in can or on tap..Presidente, with lime you can choke it down. The beach access is a shuttle or a HOT ten minute walk. Once there you are bothered to buy zip line, jeep tours, swimming with the dolphins, or other tours!! More high pressure sales you just have to keep walking and say no thanks. It gets rediculous, we went to the beach one day because we didnt like being harassed! This resort is rated as "luxury", more like above average. No matter what the Paradisus writes in response to this review, heed this warning!!!

Room Tip: Pick a second or third floor room for better security! Use your in room safe for everything!
13  Thank Doug D
Reviewed September 30, 2011

The beauty of this place is beyond compare and the service is even better!
We have been vacation club members since 2006 but this was our first time at The Reserve. We toured the Presidential Suite when it was first opened and were quite impressed. This year we decided to take my parents with on vacation with us and check it out.
The room is amazing. The outdoor living room and dining room combined with the covered palapas and exotic landscaping are awesome accents to the private pool area.
The staff here are exceptional, from the restaurant managers to the gardeners, it was hard to find someone without a smile. I wish I could remember the names of all those who made our experience so enjoyable.
Felix Sanchez at the Gabi Club bar always made us feel so welcome. He asked our names the first day and remembered them for the rest of the week! He was very accommodating with our drink requests and quite an artist with the drink displays.
Luis "The Cuban", the bartender at Aqua & Miso restaurants made my mom and dad a blue drink he called "Aqua". They didn't stop talking about it for days! He made me a natural pina coloda that was to die for. Tonight I plan to try one of his legendary mojoitios.
Ruddy and Hose at the Gabi Club were two of the waiters that always brightened up our day. Ruddy was the one who taught us "todo bien". Also my parents often talked about how good Alexis, down at the main buffet restaurant was.
Rafael appears to be the manager of all the restaurants at The Reseve. (If not, he should be!!) From day one he was constantly attentive to our needs. He overheard it was my mom's birthday and arranged for a birthday cake, complete with inscription, to be brought to us after our meal. He also overheard we wanted to try the Mexican restaurant that wasn't open in the off season. He then arranged to have one of the chefs from Mexico cook us our own private Mexican feast!! Service doesn't get better then that!!
We always looked forward to having a young man named Bernardo as our driver. My parents loved him! He is friendly and smart and is always good for a positive interaction. My dad says he will be moving up quickly in the Sol Melia ranks.
Finally, our gardener, who so generously on several occasions, gathered coconuts and opened them for us all to drink. We truly appreciated it!
There are many others here who unfortunately must remain nameless and yet nonetheless contributed to making this a wonderful vacation for our family.
Thank you!!
David & Mary

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed September 28, 2011

My wife and I brought our 15 month old to The Reserve for a week in August. We picked The Reserve because we were told that the Kid Zone was very good and it seemed to be one of the few places you could leave a child under 3 for a whole day or just a few hours. We were very pleased with the service we received at the Kids Zone. The man in charge, Claudio, and the women that looked after our son, Natali, Ynes and Evelyn were fantastic. They were very attentive and genuine in their affection and care for our boy. I don't like All-Inclusive resorts but with a small child we decided to go. It was great and I would recommend it specifically for anyone with a small child who wants to have the option to drop them off for a bit and have some vacation alone or with their spouse. I honestly think my son enjoyed the time with the girls and other kids rather than spend the entire day with me! In additon to the Kids Zone the general service and atmosphere was friendly and good. Be sure to look into the free snorkeling and other services before paying a separate company for the same.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank Mike R
Reviewed September 23, 2011

A great place to rest and enjoy ourselves during our honeymoon, we had an amazing time, came back not wanting to and already thinking on coming again. Stayed from Sep 4 to 10.
We cannot thank enough to the marvelous staff they have at The Reserve, very accomodating, always greeting us with a smile and asking if we needed anything else.
Our vacation started not having our luggage due to our short connection in Panama International, so Fernando Navarro from front desk always looked to have us well fed and with a drink in our hands.
We would like to mention that Dalliance our concierge who was always helpful programming our dinners sice we got there and even helped us out with our "off the beaten path" excursion to Huguey, a small very and quaint village near Punta Cana were locals live, that we took by "la huahua" (bus).
Don't miss on the real mojitos with Luis (el cubano), the greatest bar tender, he is at Gaby Club Bar at The Reserve, but also try Two Friends, a refreshing drink my wife and I tried and we are also enjoying it at home. Great first quality open bar, black label, absolut, herradura, baileys, as well as great Rums and local beers.
What can I say about the resort? if you like exclusiveness, privacy, confort, and exquisite cuisine, this is the place to be, they even include lobster, which we tried the first night and we made sure we had it two additional nights. I really enjoyed the beef cuts, our favorite dish was shrimp cacerole at Gaby Beach, also returned twice for that one. The Reserve does not have a beach, but it is just a one minute cart drive to get to the private and exclusive beach for The Reserve guests, we never have to wait more than a minute to get a cart. Paradisus beach is just a huge sandy beach that you can walk for hours, and if you get approach by guys offering crafts and tours, just say "no gracias" and they do not bother, but if you want to go and adventure yourself to buy crafts, bargain, bargain, bargain, we cut at half our 3 paintings that we brought home from the original price.
We got a great deal on a Master suite and they upgraded us to a Master suite with private garden, bet it was the low season rather than the honeymoon, but it made our tanning a lot easier, as we could go back to the room to enjoy ourselves and also to enjoy the private bed and lounge chairs on the huge patio.
Although is a family property, we did not run into that many minors, also, because of the season.
We were invited to a presentation breakfast that we knew it was for their vacation club, we just know how to say no, even that the deal was very attractive. They were not pushy at all, and I know they can be.

Room Tip: be sure to take your vacation during low season, there a high change to get an upgrade at no additio...
2  Thank fbezamon
Reviewed September 22, 2011

I'd like to detail for you our trip from start to finish...

Upon arrival at the airport, you have to pay a $10 "visitors tax" to even enter the country. I found this to be ridiculous, but upon talking to others, apparently many other countries do this. Once through customs, there was a band playing to welcome you. I was enjoying the tunes, until as I approached them, I had their tip bucket kicked at my feet. I found this to be extremely rude and obnoxious; some may argue that this is their livelihood, but I'm not personally responsible for their livelihood, and that's just the wrong way to go about soliciting tips.

We arrived at the resort after about 25 minute shuttle ride. Tip: arrange transportation from airport to hotel prior to your trip. We booked it through VIP Travel Services for $26 pp round trip. Well worth it- I heard a couple at the resort say they paid something like $100 for a cab.

Upon checking in, the bell hop took our luggage and took it up to the room. We were greeted by a concierge, Jordy, who began to give us a mini-tour of the hotel. We got up to our room, and my boyfriend and I were ready to relax and get ready for the night, when I then realized the concierge wasn't ready to leave. He sat us down and began his shpeal on their vacation club. This is what the other reviews are talking about- this is how they present it to you, during your initial "orientation" upon arriving your first day. We politely listened to him ramble on for about 10/15 minutes, and then i politely told him that we were just not at that point in our lives when we'd be interested in making an investment like that. He continued to push on, saying that there's no obligation, and this is an "opportunity," and was even so bold to say that by signing a piece of paper agreeing to go through the meeting, he would "get his credit" for booking another customer. He also told us that if we went, we'd get a bracelet to wear to show that we already attended the meeting, so that no one else would bother us (which obv. gives the implication that we'd be hounded by these people our entire trip). We again, respectfully declined. He then finally left. We did, however, give him $20 as a thank you, and also in the hopes that he wouldn't write us off completely for the rest of our trip.

That $20 proved to be a waste. That night, we met another couple at dinner and went to see the show at the main resort. When we came back around 1am, we went to grab our clothes out of the closet, and found lots of little bugs climbing inside the closet walls and even on our clothes. They looked like ants, but we think they were termites. We had already put all our clothes in the closets, so now we're worried our clothes have dominican bugs crawling through them. Long story short, the hotel staff is completely incompetant and doesn't know how to handle the situation. We end up putting every single one of our clothes in a big laundry bag, leave it in the room, and follow the "manager" to another room. I walk in, and it's 2 double beds instead of the king we had in the previous room. Now i really lose it. It takes them another 45 minutes to find us another room (keep in mind the hotel is only at 25% capacity; the staff told us ourselves). and it's 2:30am. We finally get our room and just go to bed. The next morning, we go back to the other room and find our clothes still there. We ask why they haven't been taken to be cleaned yet. We're told we have to make an inventory of every single item; OK fine, I wouldn't want to lose anything. We begin to do that, and I ask if I can confirm that we won't be charged for this. The again "manager" says she doesn't know. Jordy was with us as well, and didn't do ANYTHING to help us. He just kept trying to finesse us with his words, which I'm getting very tired of. He kept saying "don't worry, I'll take care of you guys," but never lifted a finger for us the entire trip. Now, I'm FUMING. We've already been going back and forth with this woman for 90 minutes; it's 10:30am, we haven't had breakfast yet, and I'm wasting my day. so I pick up our pile of clothes and bring them into our new room, telling the staff I'm done with them and to leave us alone. When we get back from the pool that day, yet a THIRD manager finds us and says that they are now ready to take care of our clothing free of charge. It's clear they don't want us bringing the bugs into the new room we have. I blow him off and say it's too little too late, and to just leave us alone.

Now that we can move on from all that, I will say that the resort is beautiful; very picturesque. The food- sub par at best. The reservation system is absurd; that's another thing that Jordy fell very short on. While he was in our room when we first got there, he told us he'd be making our reservations for the first 3 nights. After he left, we still had no clue where we were eating that night, and ended up just walking into one of the restaurants. We didn't receive our reservations for the next 2 nights until 3pm the next day. After that, we never received a reservation for our last 3 nights. But it didn't matter, because it became clear that we could just walk into whichever restaurant we wanted at whatever time; they just wanted to make everyone adhere to reservations so they could space out the evening and have people come in waves instead of getting overwhelmed if people came at one time.

On the last day, we went to the spa, which was amazing. The atmosphere and all the amenities- it was like something out of a movie. We were very relaxed afterwards.

All in all, the resort was beautiful, and we got what we came for- a relaxing vacation in the sun. We hit some speed bumps along the way, but we didn't let it ruin things for us. However, we definitely won't be back anytime soon- they have a long way to go with regard to customer service and just making things less awkward/flow better.

Room Tip: The Reserve is NOT on the beach; you have to take a shuttle (1 minute golf cart ride) to the main re...
2  Thank NJ_Traveler139