“The best part of our trip! This is the place to go if you want to surf.”
Review of Macao Surf Camp

Macao Surf Camp
Book In Advance
More Info
$95.00*
and up
Group Surf Lessons at Macao Surf Camp - Punta...
More attraction details
Owner description: Three Jesus loving friends with more than 30 years of experience, got together to share their Stoke and all the benefits that Surfing gave them through their life; teaching kids from 4 to 76 years old to Surf, to respect the ocean and nature in general. We are in one of the most beautiful and undeveloped beaches of the Dominican Republic, on the Punta Cana area: Macao Beach, a localism free beach where everybody is welcome, with six different breaks and one of the safest beaches to learn how to surf, and yet exciting enough for experienced surfers. Literally making dreams come true, specially for those that dreamed all their life about riding waves, for those that want to make Surfing their main sports activity, and also for those that just want to get Surfing out of their "bucket list". Surf Shack with showers and lockers.
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Reviewed September 21, 2013

We just returned from a trip to Hard Rock Resort Dominican Republic. We were part of a large group on an incentive trip with Thirty One Gifts. A fellow Thirty One Consultant found Macao Surf Camp online and invited us to go along. This outing was not affiliated with the resort or the excursion company Thirty One had hired but WE ARE SO GLAD we went with Rafael and his team at Macao beach. Macao is a short drive (mostly through farmland) from the resort, our transportation was air conditioned and quite comfortable. We are chatty and Rafael was very informative about the area and gladly answered all of our questions. We passed through Macao Village and then topped to a hill to view the most beautiful beach. It felt more like genuine DR than the beach at our resort.

What you should know
1. There are MSC guides in the water to help watch for waves and push the boards This help in the water meant more successful rides during the 2 hours of surfing. No they do not speak much English but eventually you will understand their whistles and "Mira Mira" means your wave is coming...

2. .A photographer comes out to the water with a Go Pro camera and snaps some great pics that you will want to pay the $25/per surfer for.

3. If your fortunate Rafael will join you in the water and give the surfers more pointers on their "form". (This man has been surfing longer than I have been alive so he knows his stuff) My husband knew he was doing something wrong but could not "see it" from on the board and Rafael's tips helped tremendously.

4. If you just go along for the ride with your surfer bring a towel or something to sit on...we also brought drinks, and snacks...FYI Rafael enjoyed the Cocoa Cola Light we brought over on day 2.

All reviews
in 8 reviews
"amazing experience"
in 15 reviews

Reviewed September 16, 2013

If you are anywhere near Punta Cana, You MUST DO THIS TRIP. Even if you have no idea how to surf. The Views are AWESOME the STAFF is AWESOME!! Rafael the owner is AWESOME. He makes you feel so much like a friend, you just want to spend the day there hanging out. His instructors, native DR young surfers, speak pretty good english and are VERY encouraging in helping you learn the basics of SURFING. The others reviews on Trip Advisor are spot on! Thier experience was just like mine. I enjoyed it so much I went back a second day. This is a dominican public beach area, no hotels, no waiters running around bringing you drinks either, so be prepared to go to the beach, just like any other beach you would go to. There is food and drinks there you can purchase and fresh fish (caught at the beach that morning) are available. Bring CASH..they are not part of your hotel, so they dont take resort credit and currently they do not have a credit card machine..but the surf camp does to paypal. ALSO, plan on spending $30 on the pictures, if you see them, you will want ot buy them, they do such a great job of making you look good on surf board. The good thing is you get to directly support the community, not the BIG resorts. The instructors, the fruit guy and the photographer all make their living making YOU have a great time, so be gracious with a tip.

1  Thank mmuscott
Reviewed September 15, 2013

If I can do it there is no reason someone else cannot learn. I fell (alot) but I kept at it and was eventually surfing. I found the Surf Camp on tripadvisor, emailed for a date and information, received a response back within 24 hours, paid online with paypal - they picked me up and allowed a friend (who did not want to surf) to join me for a small fee - very quick and easy. My instructor, Des (sp?), was fantastic and very encouraging. You must do this plus the beach is beautiful and you can meet Jack, the surfing dog.

Reviewed September 11, 2013

My brother and me had a great day learning to surf with one of the coolest dudes, Rafael. We each had an individual instructor and they had us up on our boards by the 2nd wave. It was pretty intense and a real sense of freedom on the waves. We did two sessions with a nice coconut break in the middle. They took so great shots on the beach and in the water with their GO Pro Hd camera. What a day! At one of the most idyllic beaches I have ever seen, DON'T miss out on this experience!

See more reviews
Reviewed August 21, 2013

We booked this on our own - not through the resort...Sooo glad we did!! We were in Punta Cana for our honeymoon and my husband loves water sports, so we thought we would give it a shot! We emailed briefly with Rafael to set it up.
Gustavo picked us up at the hotel with his sweet daughter and took us through the little towns to Macao beach. He was really friendly and easy to talk to. We felt really comfortable asking him questions about the culture and city. Once at the beach, we learned the basics on the beach prior to getting in the water. Jonathan was my instructor and he was really patient with me (i was a little slower than the other people). I finally got up after my third attempt and had such a great time! There were two photographers taking unbelievable photos (disk for purchase - worth it!). During our break, we had coconut water and relaxed on the beach. The salt water became too much for my contacts after a long time, so i sat out the majority of the second half, but my husband went until the end. We are thrilled with the people, their motivation and morals. Had a great time and would definitely go back again and again!!
Thanks guys!!!