“Cross this off your bucket list!!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Macao Surf Camp

Macao Surf Camp
More attraction details
Owner description: Three Jesus loving friends with more than 30 years of experience, got together to share their Stoke and all the benefits that Surfing gave them through their life; teaching kids from 4 to 76 years old to Surf, to respect the ocean and nature in general. We are in one of the most beautiful and undeveloped beaches of the Dominican Republic, on the Punta Cana area: Macao Beach, a localism free beach where everybody is welcome, with six different breaks and one of the safest beaches to learn how to surf, and yet exciting enough for experienced surfers. Literally making dreams come true, specially for those that dreamed all their life about riding waves, for those that want to make Surfing their main sports activity, and also for those that just want to get Surfing out of their "bucket list". Surf Shack with showers and lockers.
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Winnipeg, Canada
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Cross this off your bucket list!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 21, 2013 via mobile

Surfing seemed intimidating, but it turned out to be easier than we all thought!
There were 6 in our group and we were picked up at our hotel (Barcelo Bavaro Beach). A short lesson is given on the beach and then your in the water!
I would have to say that the hardest part was paddling back to the "line up".
All 6 of us succeeded and rode as many waves as we wanted!

Pros:
- each person has their own Instructor in the water
- transportation is included
- they allow you to use your GoPro
- they watch you carefully and give you feedback on how you can improve your stance for a better surf
- for break time they provide a fresh coconut drink!
- Macao Beach is beautiful! I like it better there than our own resort beach

Cons
- nothing! But paddling did take a lot of energy out of me haha

A few people in our group didnt know how to swim and they still did it. You just have to be very careful if a wave happens takes you under

1 Thank ariannra

• Polish first
Canada
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“A Wonderful Time”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 20, 2013

I arranged and paid a day to surf through their website and contacted Rafael by email. ($70 each person) Everything was efficient. We were picked up by Jose and his girlfriend (I'm assuming) and dropped off as well. It was me and my boyfriend's first time surfing and we were both looking forward to it. Him the most as he loves to snowboard/skateboard. (we're both snowboarders. Coming from cold Canada) The beach is SO beautiful! We got rash guards when we got there and a locker with no extra fees. The demonstration on land was very simple and brief before we were sent in the water with each of us having our own guide.

Now I am not a strong swimmer at all. I CAN swim but for me I get really panicky sometimes when it comes to oceans and deep swimming pools. Where we went, it was about 5-6ft deep. I'm 5"4. My guide unfortunately wasn't strong at English. So when we started swimming out on our boards, I was being pelted by wave after wave and got a little worried. A huge wave came out at us and I fell off my board multiple times choking back salty water and gasping for air. It was scary. I kept flailing around underwater and trying to get air but every time you surface, you're pretty much getting hit down by another wave coming at you. My bf and the others were already starting to reach the end point and I couldn't even make it out there cuz I was paralyzed and trying to stay on my board with the guide rescuing me a few times. I told him I don't think I could do it. He didn't understand me and kept pulling me out until the others translated and they let me go back on shore. He went back in to be my bf's guide and I just stayed on shore crying my eyes out. I was really frustrated with myself. It's something I wanted to try but my fear of drowning and just being thrown around by those waves freaked me out.

Ronaldo, the photographer, who is such a nice person, came by to comfort me as I explained what happened. I continued watching everyone attempt to get on their first waves and eventually Jose and Rafael came over to ask what's wrong. They were very kind to me. I was very determined to get back in there but needed time to calm down. Rafael explained to me that both he and Jose will come into the water with me so that I can feel safer with 2 people helping. They hugged and encouraged me that I could do it. I felt better and tried it again, with Jose out in the deep end pushing me forward while Rafael stood at the shallow end, ready to catch or save me if I was stuck after I wiped out. This really comforted me and eventually my fears were gone.

I was able to catch wave after wave. I got better and had so much fun, they were happy to see me smiling. Jose gave me good instructions in the water about my footing and balance and before you know it, I was surfing! My bf was really happy I gave it another chance. I talked a bit with Ronaldo and he was so sweet. He took extra photos of me with Jack the surfing dog who apparently was possessive of me lol. Ronaldo said Jack was a perverted dog who liked women hahaha~

Overall we ended up having a lot of fun and I am so grateful for all the staff at Macao Camp. They are such nice, patient and understanding people. I really thought that was it for me and I would give up the lesson from my panic attack. But I ended up doing better than my bf lol They helped overcome my fear. If you are ever worried about such things, they really will take care of you. Especially any kids too. I would love to go back here again

*The photos we got were $40 since we were a couple and the seller told us it is usually $25/person. Very pretty quality pictures

2 Thank KatoKathy
NH
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 24 helpful votes
“Amazing Experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 19, 2013

Myself, hubby and our 2 kids (ages 18 and 14) took lessons Feb 8th. We had booked via email before our trip and paid the day we took the lesson. Armando and his wife picked us up at our resort the morning of the lesson. I felt like we had instantly made friends. The whole way to the beach Armando educated us about the country, the people, etc. Macao beach is amazingly beautiful. From the first minute I laid eyes on the beach I was in love. The lesson was lots of fun. The crew they have assembled are all fantastic and supportive. I highly recommend!

Calgary, Canada
“Awesome family experience!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 18, 2013

Our family of four spent a fantastic morning with the group at Macao Surf Camp yesterday, February 17. My wife and I arranged the tour via email with Raphael. Our two kids aged 10 and 9 also surfed with us. We cannot say one bad thing about this experience or the people. Armando went out of his way to pick us up at our hotel (Club MEd) and drive us to the Beach. We found him to be so incredibly friendly and hospitable, he made the entire experience something to remember. We have taken surf lessons in Maui previously and this was 100 times better. They literally have one on one instruction while in the water. The guys are very friendly and knowledgeable and made the experience fun for all of us. This was especially true for the kids who struggled to paddle against the waves. They had extra guys in the water that would help the kids get back out to the main group where the waves were breaking. Our 10 year old daughter actually outlasted my wife and I and didn't want to stop. The beach is isolated, remote and beautiful. Oh, and don't miss out on JAck, the pure bread golden retriever. He actually surfs (and very well). You have to see it.

Thank you to Armando, Raphael and all the guys for making this the highlight of our Dominican trip.

Toronto, Canada
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“had to cancel - got full refund”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 14, 2013

This isn't really a review per se, as unfortunately I did not get to go to this camp despite signing up online. I prepaid for the lessons but had to cancel very last minute. Rafael handled this very kindly, he gave me a full refund despite how last minute I cancelled.

If you're having reservations about booking online, don't. I just hope you actually get to go unlike me!

Visited December 2012