“Wonderful stay”

GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Brighton, Canada
“Wonderful stay”
Reviewed March 7, 2011

We arrived at the Nh Royal Beach on Feb.26 and stayed for 7 days. We were impressed with the room both in size and cleanliness. The jacuzzi tub was well used as we faced away from the resort and had privacy to do what we wanted!

The resort staff were terrific. We have stayed at other 5 star resorts in DR and the wait staff at Royal Beach are superior. The buffet and bbq grill were well stocked and had plenty of variety. The food taste was above the norm. We at at the Asian, Pure, Senses and the Grill restaurants. The Grill is supposed to represent a Roadhouse restaurant...it was terrible! The dinners at the other three restaurants were very good. My dinner at Senses was on of the best meals that I have had in a resort.

The pool is small and I think this is because of the wnadering pool. I would have enjoyed a larger pool, but because the resort is smaller (about 550 rooms) the pool wasn't crowded. The beach area was great, but you had to get up early to get lounge chairs. There is seaweed on the beach and to me that is the only negative of the resort, but that is something the resort can't do much about, can they?

I would highly recommend this resort for its comfort, food, wait staff and hospitality. By the way, the weather was great.

2 Thank Codco

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,559)
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Lethbridge, Canada
Reviewed March 7, 2011

We stayed at the Royal in February 2011 for 7 days. This was our 6th resort vacation, and was by far the best. The food was amazing! Service was by far the best I've ever seen! Staff was super friendly and we quickly became friends with a few of them! The resort was always really clean including the pools! The night life was good, and was mostly on the family side (as the Royal is adult only) the disco definitely resembled the type of clubs we have here in Canada. The Royal is definitely not a party resort, its definitely a couples resort. If your looking for a quiet vacation I would definitely recommend the royal. If you are looking for a party the Real Arena side would have had a better young night life. We had awesome weather only rained for about 2 hours one morning and that was about it. I would definitely recommend staying at this resort, and would definitely love to go back! We went with some family friends and e-mailed them asking them to put our rooms close to each other and they actually put us side by side! The rooms are very beautiful and modern the decor throughout the entire resort was very different and modern then most other resorts. The only negative thing about the resort would be the lack of beach/pool chairs. It was difficult to find chairs unless you get up super early and had people steal our chairs one afternoon! The gym was small and had poor air conditioning! Overall a very nice resort and a great vacation!

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank meganpod
Montreal
Reviewed March 6, 2011

We stayed at the NH Royal Beach from Feb 19 to Mar 2 2011. We really enjoyed our stay.

Resort:
Nice and extra clean resort, excellent service at front desk, pool, bars, beach and restaurants. Good quality furniture in the lobby and the outside entertainment area. WI-FI and computers are available ($)
Interesting river pool design, but the water was a bit too cool for us at this time of the year. Not enough beach chairs around the pool. Quiet resort and no loud music.
There is very little wildlife in this area, very few birds, lizards and insects.

Rooms

Good:
The rooms are spacious with a large bathroom and balcony with a Jacuzzi (without privacy). Extra clean rooms.
100 standard definition channels on a 32 inch LCD TV. Lots of sports, news and movie channels in English. Note that the remote control sensor is badly positioned, so you will to do some funny contortions to change channels with the TV remote.
Well-appointed with a safe, slippers and bathrobes, good quality furniture.
Nicely decorated.

Bad:
The buildings are all made of concrete; there was obviously no consideration for sound proofing in their design. You will hear noisy hallways, some door slamming, toilet flushing and people talking. Bring some earplugs if you are sensitive to noises at night.
The toilet and bidet rests in a 3x6 tight closet. I found it was a bit cramped.
There is a smoke detector with fast blinking extra bright LEDs, exactly overhead while trying to sleep on my back.

Restaurants:

We tried them all (6), as they were pre-booked for us, nice touch. 2 are located at the Royal and 4 others at the NH Arena.

- Buffet at the Royal

Very good food, great selection and excellent service. Best bacon in the Caribbean’s!
The toaster oven was a bit weak, took forever to get slightly golden toasts.
The BBQ station outside has very good Hamburgers, Hot Dogs, Grilled Chicken and short ribs.

-El Mortero (Tex-Mex)

Adjacent to the buffet, we had a Chateaubriand with excellent chimichuri sauce, crab cakes and crème brulé (avoid). The tenderloin was obviously not USDA prime but not too bad overall. Portions are just the right size. We usually order our meat blue or rare but they will not serve it below medium-rare, probably a good idea anyways not knowing how the meat is handled.

-Cinque Terre (Italian)

This one is a hit & miss, the food was good, but the service was rushed. In 45 minutes we were out and we even got our wine before the cocktail. No music, no decoration to speak of.

-Asian

Teppankaki style with a fixed menu. They serve, food court style sushi rolls, tempura veggies, Miso soup with carrots (?), fried rice, chicken, beef (low grade), vegetables and light Chilean red wine. The food was salty and mediocre, also the chef did an over the top and loud performance. The lighting was like having a 100w light bulb directly overhead. That was a brutal experience. Again, thank god, 45 minutes later we were out.

-Senses (Gourmet/French)

Excellent food, good salmon, nice presentation, again too much lighting. We got out 1 hour later.
Recommended.

-Shore Grill (Steak & Sea food)

When we got there, we were greeted with a very bad smell. Maybe it was just this one time, I never heard anybody else complaining about it. Anyways, very good chicken wings, steaks and langouste. I had some beef filet and it came cut in half, with one side still attached. My guess is that they make sure it’s cooked through and through, and it also grills faster.
Ball park style lighting. Again, 45 minutes later we were out.

-Pure (International)

Very nice restaurant on the Royal side, with a fixed menu. Nice & cosy, decorated in style. It’s a six service menu, first, a flying fish caviar mousse starter with a nice lemon vermouth martini, a chunky langosta bisque with scallops, a large iceberg salad with crispy bacon, a focaccia with too much mozzarella cheese, a large portion of grouper fish, a hearty veal tenderloin, and choice of dessert.
Overall very good, but way too much food! Recommended.

- Lobster Night on Mondays (29$ USD/per)

We haven’t tried it, but I saw that they serve large langosta (looked very good and also all you can eat). The seating is right on the beach. Normally we would have tried it, but I found that it was too windy and cool both Mondays we were there.

-Beach bar

Excellent bar tending (Willy) service and lounge music around the outside seating area. The drinks are good but too sweet for my taste. I usually ask for <no azugar>. Good selection of basic Scotch and Rums.

-Lobby bar

Pretty much the same as the beach bar, but with a very large seating area.

Entertainment

We liked the “White party” at the Royal, and never went to the Arena side for entertainment. Great break dancers, fire eating and bar tender shows. Otherwise, the music band, although talented, was a bit bland, playing old American tunes and some dated Dominican songs. My guess is because the average crowd age is around 40-60 y/o. We never tried the Disco or the Casino on the Arena side.

Beach

Large typical Punta Cana beach, with beautiful palm trees, emerald water, a bit too cold at this time of the year. There was some sea weed, but the staffs are constantly cleaning the beach. We saw some occasional booze cruise and catamaran peddlers, but nothing annoying. You could walk for hours on both sides of the beach. Again, you will see some more peddlers, but they are not too pushy.

The beach chairs are a mix bag. Some are new, others are destroyed. During high season, a lot of chair reservation occurs starting at 7:00am. This is very annoying, provided, that the chairs could be unattended for hours, but nevertheless reserved with a simple beach towel.

Overall this is a great resort to relax for couples.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
Reviewed March 6, 2011

We (a young couple) spent 5 nights at the NH Royal Resort. Overall, we were disappointed in our experience and returned home feeling like we needed a vacation.

GROUNDS: Property was lush with pretty tropical landscaping. A definite plus was the large pool yet we couldn’t get a seat at the pool for 5 DAYS STRAIGHT because people reserved their chairs during their entire vacation stay. Forget about the beach because you won’t want to swim in a mess of seaweed nor can you relax in a chair (even if you’re lucky enough to find one!) because there’s nonstop party music blasting. inexpensive Swedish massage on the beach was the only perk. Don’t expect to find a single place to relax by the water.

AMENITIES: The health club/workout center, though modern from the exterior, was tiny, had a lot of beat up equipment and was in dire need of air conditioning.

ROOMS: We upgraded to an oceanfront room which meant we had to keep ourselves enclosed to get any silence from the music blasting all day at the pool below. The bed was very comfortable, décor was Euro modern, hospitality kept the room clean and the Jacuzzi was a definite plus. The air conditioning was barely functional and our TV prompted us to pay for regular channels and had poor reception (barely any audio).
FOOD: Unlike our previous stay at a Punta Cana all-inclusive, we were surprised that the hotel water was not purified and we were told not to drink the sink water. Unfortunately for us, we didn’t learn of this until our orientation on the second day of our visit! Bottled water was scarce, however, cheap cocktails were not. The produce was very poor quality leaving us sick after each meal. Since one of us is vegan, we needed special accommodations at each meal but had difficulty getting simple beans, rice, and vegetables without meat or dairy. Lovely waiters who were almost too attentive. I spoke with other adults who had some form of gastrointestinal illness likely secondary to the water.

OVERALL: You won’t get what you’ve paid for. Other AI resorts in Punta Cana offer superior in room quality, amenities and food. This is a setting for 40+ travelers who love to drink, can be satisfied on diet of the Daiquiri of the Day and airplane style food.*

*Stick to the saltines.

1 Thank FullofTravel
Ancaster, Canada
Reviewed March 6, 2011

This was our fourth year saying at NH in Punta Cana - We have stayed at the Real Arena/Eden H for 3 years and this year we thought we would try the adults only NH Royal Suites - The restaurants and the resort was great! The staff were very friendly and accommodating. Little bit of a mix up upon arrival with room but mostly our misinformation and was rectified to our reasonable satisfaction. Make sure that you are aware that there are 4 types of rooms available and know where they are - Not overly clear on the Air Transat description. We hunted down our Favourite bartender at the NH Real Arena - "Carlos" - He was awesome as usual! and is clearly a factor in our return every year! Food was great! Only issue that might improve service - would be to increase bar maid service around the lazy river pool & Main pool area - It is a very large area, many people with swim up suites and just lounging around - one person cannot manage although she certainly tried! Food was great - although time to change it up a bit at the Asian restaurant same food for the last 4 years! Still was tasty though!
PS - If your looking for WiFi - Pay for the 6 days for $60.00 Paying for the 25 hours doesn't seem to work well - Shut down often but still clocked time by the fourth day had no time left? Not a reflection of the hotel as it is run by another company.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank HamiltonOntarioJules
Shiocton, WI
Reviewed March 6, 2011

I researched high and low and this resort seemed to be perfect, so I have to review it since I used tripadvisor which helped with our decision. My husband and I went here for our honeymoon for 7 nights and a couple also came along for 5 of the nights.We booked for Apple vacations and comparing some things just from booking with them and the other couple did not. For our stay we had reservations already booked for every night at a different specialty resturaunt and the other couple did not, it was apple vacations that had that set up which was very very nice. The staff was very good about gettting us 2 nights together for dinner, but the other couple didn't have the best times for their other nights. Also the first night we were there there was a special dinner for apple vacation guests which was one of the best dinners that we had the whole trip, so again.. if you have the choice I would definately book with Apple!!! Also after we arrived I thought it was very nice that we were escorted by golf cart to our room. The rooms were great, we had ocean view of the west side and I could not have been happier with our room, it was on the second floor and I believe it was 4278.. the second closest room from the ocean without being oceanfront. Great especially b/c we loved the pool which was steps away then. I recommend booking at all the resturants even though there were some that we didn't love but our thought was if you didn't love it and was still hungry then you could still eat at the buffet which we only did one time. I loved that we could get room service 24 hours, we didn't need it at all but had to at least get it once so we got it the last day, the pizza margarita was good and we got sushi. We loved that we had access to both resorts, and they aren't extremely huge resorts so it doesn't take long to get to your destination. We were very very very happy with the beach and the ocean! I do not understand people complaining about the seaweed, there was some yes but not that much and we went swimming in the ocean no problem. I was also in love with their frozen drinks. I highly recommend bringing a bubba keg or something of that sort ... we were very happy that we did. Also we brought a floatable lawn chair for the pool which was nice but not necessary in my opinion, we used it 2 days.. that is one thing that would be nice for the resort to get but like I said not necessary due to the bench seats in the water. Back to the room.. I absolutely loved the room, very roomy, jacuzzi on the balcany was awesome and loved that the mini fridge was always restocked. The night service was neat too, didn't expect that at all. We picked this resort because we wanted to relax and enjoy the sun, we did not want to go to a place that had a spring break feel so if you want to party probably not for you, but if you want to go to do what we did then I highly recommend it. The entertainment was at the sister resort which was only steps away so not an inconvienence in my opinion at least. It was nice because there was something every night if you wanted something to do. The one thing I must complain about though was our travel representative. She was great and met us on time which didn't happen for the other couple.... BUT I did ALOT of research before I came on the trip and am still very mad at her!!! We wanted to to Dolphin Explorer for 2 seperate excursions and I new that I wanted the excellence package for the dolphins and the Dolphin Cruiser for the 2nd day. I was in contact with the manager from the place prior to our trip and had the chance to book ahead and wish we did. I told the lady that I wanted the excellence package and she said that there was only the explorer, and I explained to her who I talked to and what not and she said maybe it is something new, did not bother to call the place and find out - very rude, and then she never heard of the dophin cruiser excursion. So we were not able to book that. Well thank goodness that Dolphin explorer was such a great place. We had the option to upgrade when we got there and were able to book Dolphin Cruiser when we were there. Thank goodness because I would have not been happy if otherwise. So my recommendation is if you are like me and know exactly what you want to do, and feel comfortable doing so, then please book ahead. Thankfully this to me did not reflect on the hotel at all, just the representative that didn't go above and beyond to make sure we got exactly what we wanted. All in all, we had a great time and would definately go again in a heartbeat, it was very hard for us to leave, especially because the weather was amazing, low to mid 80's by day and low to mid 70's by night and sunny every day, only time it rained was around 6am for around 10 minutes and we were sleeping anyways, just knew it was raining because of the sound, but after it rained it was blue skies, and the other time it rained was when we were already on the plane and we noticed sprinkles on our window.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Sweetie4ljl
Austin, Minnesota
Reviewed March 5, 2011

We just returned from a week long visit with 2 other couples and really enjoyed our stay at NH Royal Beach. There were things of inconvenience but our overall experience was outstanding. Room assignments were a joke. All three couples had reserved swim up rooms, yet upon arrival we were told that they didn't have any available until the following day. We were placed into regular rooms (still modern and very nice) and offered what we felt was a generous compensation (for each couple) which consisted of: Dinner for two on the beach (all you can eat lobster we found out), a couple's massage (which one couple took advantage of and loved) and 25 hours of free wifi access. The move to the reserved rooms the following day was a bit of a hassle but well worth it.

We enjoyed our morning walks on the beach and didn't feel "hasseled" by the locals until towards the end of the week. The sights on the beach we're great and the beach at the NH Royal Beach was, in my opinion, one of the top 3 resort beaches we saw. There were a lot of weeds every day which led to no time in the ocean for us. Which was fine and not a deal breaker because I enjoy it around the pool much more.

You'll have to get up early if you want to reserve a spot on the beach or pool. We were up and out by 7a.m. most mornings and found the chairs already reserved. Which was OK as we had our own loungers outside our swim up rooms. We did bring pool mats which we used in the lazy river (fabulous!) and enjoyed the swim up bar as well. The suggestion of bringing "bubba" cups was right on! We're very glad we did.

Food was OK. We made reservations immediately after checking in to avoid not being able to at a later time. El Montero was OK, Pure was terrible - the food was NOT great (or even good) and there was way to much of it. We felt guilty, but didn't eat all of what was served on many of the courses. Our favorite was the Habachi grill at the NH Real Arena - it was basic but we enjoyed it. We used the buffet for breakfast or lunch most days. The view from the outside seating area was wonderful. Our latest dinner reservation was 9:45 and so we used the room service to order appetizers for the group before we went - it worked perfectly.

Overall we thoroughly enjoyed our stay and would return to reap the benefits of this all inclusive, adults only resort.

1 Thank ddp01