“Recommend NH Royal Beach”

Secrets Royal Beach Punta Cana
Ranked #9 of 112 Hotels in Punta Cana
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed February 12, 2011

First trip to NH Royal Beach (but many trips to Caribbean)
Beach: Wide, deep with white powder sand. Walking down the beach leads to a bit grungy area after a couple of miles, walking up the beach for about three miles was fine.
Hotel: Minimalistic, modern design. Clean, Clean, Clean.
Rooms: Well designed, moden and specious. Ocenview third floor recommened. Note, as with many newer hotels, Ocean View is not Ocean Front. Veranda jacuzzi is a really nice feature. Left side of resort, looking from the lobby to the beach, gets sun while right is all shaded.
Grounds: Beautifically landscaped and immaculate.
Pool / Lazy River: Allows for socialization and quiet couple time, pool bar lively but not rowdy.
Breakfast / Lunch Buffet: Wide variety of well prepared food or individually prepared lunches to your liking.
Restuartants: Different al a carte every night if you wish. Quality good, service excellent. "Pure" is the best. Pass on "Shore Grill" which we were told was seafood but is actually roadhouse and not even a good roadhouse.
Entertainment: Royal has one bar and a large area/piazza for bands to play. There is a live band/show every night but the level of activity or dancing depends on the crowd. More activity and selection at Real.
Security: Presence is noticable without overpowering. Security maintains control over who is on Royal property and Royal section of beach. Real is easily accessible from Royal with well lit walkways and security presence.
Staff: Warm, friendly, efficent and hard working. Really nice people.
M&F Whitby;Ontario

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (10,088)

Reviewed February 11, 2011

My wife and I stayed at the Royal Beach Nov. 17-25, 2010. We booked an ocean view room and we were not disappointed. Check-in was quick and efficient and while the room was not ready because of our early arrival, we received our bracelets and were invited to enjoy the resort amenities. The room was larger than expected and very clean. The bed was comfortable and the bathroom amenities were first rate. We were in the building closest to the beach and the restaurant cluster, which was very convenient. As many other reviewers have said, the service was excellent and the quality of the food in the buffet was outstanding, especially for an all-inclusive resort. After a disappointing meal in El Mortero early on, we ate most of our meals in the Festival Buffet restaurant, which offers a different theme each night of the week (don't miss lobster night!). We also enjoyed a nice dinner at Senses (the french restaurant). The beach is pretty, clean, well maintained, and with all the amenities and services expected of a 5 star resort. However, don't expect to do any snorkeling off the beach. The pool is something to be seen, as it is more like a lazy river that meanders through the resort. It is not heated so, the water can feel cold sometimes and if you plan to float on it you must bring your own inflatable device. During our stay the weather was less than optimal, with mostly cloudy skies, scattered showers and incessant wind. However, we did not let this bother us and we came back with a nice tan. For evening entertainment we recommend checking out the activities at the Arena as the ones at the Royal were a bit sedate. However, in almost every other aspect the Royal is vastly superior to the Arena so, it is definitely worth the extra cost (we met with friends who were staying at the Arena and exchanged impressions). The nearby shopping mall is not really worth the trip, except for the cigar shop from which I bought some great cigars made on site, at a good price. We were looking for souvenirs and ended up buying them from the resort shops as the selection was better and the price not significantly higher. If you plan to do any sightseeing and there are at least 4 adults in your group, you may want to check with the front desk staff to arrange for a private taxi and guide (the local taxi minivans will comfortably fit up to 6 adults), which is more convenient and less expensive than a tour through the travel desk. Overall we had a pleasant experience, were impressed with the accommodations, and the quality of the service and returned home with fond memories.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 11, 2011

I do not understand how anyone could complain about anything at NH Royal other than too much alcohol in the drinks. Our trip was the best from start to finish. The drinks were great, the food was awesome, the grounds and layout of the place were just amazing, the beach had cool white sand and plenty of chairs and the people were very accomidating. I could ask for no more. Our flights were on time, the transfer was good and quick and we hated to leave. A special thanks to Marcelino Lora Taveras, Manager of the Paradise Club, for becoming our friend.

Reviewed February 11, 2011

I have been to more than a dozen all-inclusives but have never been to the Dominican Republic. We enjoyed our 6 day trip to NH Royal Beach and there were like every resort, things we didn’t care for. I am working mother in my 40’s and hubby is in his 50’s so we wanted a quiet retreat from the crazies of life. The adult-only Royal Beach delivered that. Service was impecible. The resort sits beside the NH Real Arena which is family oriented. We could go see their shows and try their restaurants but they could not use ours. I compared prices of booking the Paradise Club at Real Arena versus a garden room at Royal Beach and they were about $50 different. We liked having the use of both resorts.
Resort overall: Clean with great, friendly service. It’s on a long white sand beach where I took very long walks and never ran out of beach. Plus, no vendors pushing time share sales. Very different than my Mexico experiences. To the right of the resort are some shops/shacks and the vendors do try to get you go to shop ‘cheapie cheapie’ with them. I did buy souvenirs for my kids. There are also men selling activities but they are friendly enough and will back off quickly. They will also negoiate prices so we booked our ‘adventure tour’ with a beach vendor rather than through the resort. The pool, while big and with a lazy river, didn’t seem to have enough space for lounge chairs. If you like hanging out by the pool (we have a pool so we stayed on the beach), you might want to go to the Real side as their pool was designed with more lounge chair seating. Also, bring your own float if you want to do the lazy river. They charge about $7 in the gift shop for the same one you can buy at Wal-Mart for $3.
Room: spacious and clean but the lighting over the bathroom mirror could have been brighter. Also, no venting in the toilet. You can translate.
Food: Buffet was fine. We tried the different restaurants booking a late dinner and showing up when we were ready. They always seemed to get us in earlier. But, the last night we decided to eat at the buffet as none of the restaurants were worth getting dressed for (men are required to wear long pants and a collared shirt – some smart men got around that by wearing jeans and my hubby caught on that he could still wear his flip flops). We felt most of the time, the meat and fish were overcooked and I was contemplating becoming a vegetarian that week. The wine is pretty lousy but they did make really good foo-foo drinks if you’re into those.
Non-motorized water sports; Funny rule: you could only reserve for that day starting at 9 a.m. and could only reserve a kayak/hobie cat for 30 minutes/room. Even if no one was using it, they wouldn’t let us take the hobie out TWICE in one day. We also went on a dive trip scheduled from the dive shop on the beach. Ceasar was incredibly patient with me – a rusty diver.
If the food were better, my hubby and I would go back to the resort. That said, it wasn’t horrible and we don’t think we gained a ton of weight from overeating (overdrinking, probably). I would definitely go back to the Punta Cana area!

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 9, 2011

My husband and i are from Europe. we traveled through many countries, but this is the best experience. Although I had doubts about the quality of service, proved that exactly meet European standards.
We will gladly return to this hotel, although it is adult only and can not come up with our children.
The only negative aspect that I complained was inadequate time to clean the rooms and specific afternoon.
Staff very nice, friendly, willing to help even if it gave them tips or not
The level of English is basic, most only know usuale words, they are guided more by body language, but their broad smile makes you forget that they do not get everything they ask.
Mai degraba noi am invatat acolo spaniola :)

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 9, 2011

My friends and I stayed at this hotel for 10 days. It was my first time vacationing at the Domenican Republic so I didn't know what to expect but I was pleasently surprised as soon as we stepped on the resort. The whole resort was very clean and beautifully designed. The staff there were very friendly and always there when you need them. The rooms were always clean and modern. The dining areas and restaurants were always filled with different kinds of food which were very delicious. These areas were always kept clean. There was never a dull moment, there were all kinds of activities you could partake in..from dancing on the beach to yogo to pool aerobics to disco. The staff was always trying to encourage people to join them in these activites. In particular I want to thank Eric, who from day 1 was very helpful and friendly. Whenever we needed something he was always the first one there to help and take care of any issues we might of had. Overall we enjoyed this vacation spot very much, it was very relaxing and beautiful. I would recommend any one who is looking for an amazing vacation to chose this resort because just like us you will not be dissapointed.
- Lana, Nataliya, Ala, Vladimir

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed February 8, 2011

We just returned yesterday and have to say we thoroughly enjoyed the resort. I just read the review before mine and I can't disagree more. I read reviews from different resorts for 2 weeks before booking this resort since I'm 5 months pregnant and wanted a good place with great reviews.

Overall, we found the staff to be absolutely amazing. They're always smiling and greeting the guests and are really wonderful people. The staff at the front desk were fantastic and we had no issues at all with arriving and checking out. It was incredibly fast for us. At first we were put in a room with two beds so we went back and requested a king bed which was dealt with very professionally and quickly. I have no complaints about the staff other than wishing their English was a bit better in the restaurants. They always tried though and if something was needed, someone else with more of an understanding of English came along.

The rooms: We were on the first floor and were able to walk out and sit on the loungers outside. The rooms were very nice and cleaned well every day with a top up of whatever was needed and new towels. Our only complaint was the musty smell. I have a feeling a lot of the resorts have this issue since it's quite humid and difficult to keep under control. We found keeping the a/c on definitely helped but I could smell the musty smell on my clothes today when I unpacked which surprised me a bit. The beds were great, very comfy and we liked the size of the room. The jacuzzi outside was wonderful and well used by us.

The pool: We loved the pools and I never once saw a child in the pool throughout the entire week nor did I see any kids at all at our resort. There were plenty at the sister resort but they were not allowed to pass over to ours. I brought swimming goggles and loved doing laps around the circular pool. It was fantastic since it wasn't overly busy and I never had to turn around to swim the opposite way since it's a massive long, circular shaped pool. The pool was definitely one of the highlights for me.

The beach: Gorgeous beach with soft sand and lots of space. They definitely need more loungers on the beach and around the pool but we are early birds and managed to get what we wanted when we were up just before 7 am. We'd put our towels on the loungers we wanted, have breakfast and then return to the loungers. We definitely didn't hog the loungers and found most people were pretty good about using what they 'reserved'. More loungers would help though, especially around the pool area.

Entertainment: We didn't go out to many of the shows so I really can't say much here. We also didn't use the internet since it was $4 for 15 minutes and really, I can live without the internet for a week. If you plan to be on a lot, it could get quite expensive.

Food: Overall, the food was great. I have to say the buffet food should have been kept hotter so I usually tried to stick with the food that was cooked in front of me and also ate a lot of the fruit. The variety was great at each meal. We loved the 'Pure' restaurant and also enjoyed the Texmex. I'd recommend booking at those two early in your stay and then returning again at the end of your stay. We also enjoyed the Asian one at the sister resort but I wouldn't return to the other ones. We both felt well throughout the week but unfortunately I started feeling unwell on the way to the airport and vomitted several times on the flight home. As I said, I am 5 months pregnant so it could be that I'm more sensitive than usual but I haven't been sick throughout my whole pregnancy so it was most likely due to something I ate or drank. My husband wasn't sick at all and I didn't hear of anyone else getting sick. I have yet to not get sick when I go to an all-inclusive in Mexico, Cuba or Dominican so maybe I'm just super sensitive.

The gym: We both enjoy working out on a daily basis so this is one area where the place could use some improvement. All the gym REALLY needs is some large fans. The air was dead in there and it was really tough to do any type of workout. Large fans would solve the issue and would make the workouts enjoyable. The equipment is okay. They have the basics (two treadmills, two bikes, an elliptical and free weights plus a couple of other strength training machines).

I do recommend this resort. I haven't been to any other resort in the Dominican but preferred this one over the Iberostar in Cuba and Riu in Mexico. I also have to say I'll be returning to the Dominican again. I loved the beaches and the people. I was also told by someone on the plane who has been to many of the resorts in the Dominican that they stayed at Melia Caribe and had a very positive experience there.