“Great Stay - Highly Recommend”

Secrets Royal Beach Punta Cana
Ranked #7 of 111 Hotels in Punta Cana
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Ellington, Connecticut
“Great Stay - Highly Recommend”
Reviewed October 6, 2010

Visited this resort with my husband and another couple (family). We had a great time! We originally booked the NH Real Arena and then upgraded for $20/night/person to the adult-side Royal Beach. We had booked the Arena through a wholesale online website, which resulted in a cost of $252/person total for 4 nights - a great deal. The additional $20/night/person to upgrade was well worth it. The upgrade allowed for better alcohol selections, access to all the amenities on the adult (and Arena) side, and access to two additional restaurants, which we found to be far superior to the others on the Arena side which we also had access to. Also, the main dining area (buffet) on the adult side was far better than the Arena side. Selections were a bit more sophisticated and the general dining area was much nicer. It was always available for breakfast, lunch, and dinner.

For those that don't know, the Arena and the Royal are essentially the same resort, both owned by the NH Real brand. The NH Royal caters exclusively to adults, whereas its Arena half is more oriented towards large groups, families, and kids. Both properties are very well maintained and offer very modern amenities. The entire resort itself in terms of landscaping, grounds, pools, lounges, beach chairs, etc. is very new, modern and contemporary, and very well maintained. It was nice to see everything very clean and the resort staff definitely takes pride in keeping everything in good condition.

We stayed from Saturday to Wednesday over Memorial Day weekend. The resort was relatively empty, but we found a significant Canadian and German population visiting the resort. The rooms are very spacious - very contemporary, and spotless. We had no complaints. My husband and I are frequent travelers and have stayed at some very nice places and this place is definitely up there. The bathrooms are fully equipped, beautiful vanities, large showers (no tubs), private toilet rooms. We found the complimentary toiletries to be very nice, robes are provided in the room, and extra towels were brought promptly. There was a hot tub on our veranda, but we did not use it.

Warning - it gets very, very hot in the DR. And the sun is exceptionally strong. We highly recommend lots of sunscreen. We do not have fair skin and we tend to tan very well, but it was pretty beyond normal here. On a related note, it should also be added that we had a very comfortable room, air-conditioning wise, and never had any problems. Again, everything is fairly new and well maintained. So, while it is hot and sometimes uncomfortably humid, there are good fallbacks (i.e. your air conditioned room).

The offerings are superb - between the restaurants, room service, and mini-bar. We found everything to be in abundance and good quality. Our only complaint, having gotten a bit sick towards the end of our trip, is that we found it hard for the resort to keep some of the food cold. In the buffet, we often found some of the desserts to be melting and some of the cheeses mushy...despite the ice beds and the resort's attempt to keep everything as cold as possible, it still appears that food safety is an issue.

The staff is very friendly. Our only incident was upon arrival where we found it hard to find someone who spoke English well enough to understand some of our questions and requests. Also - make your dinner reservations as soon as you get there. For some reason, we had a really hard time booking dinner for the four nights we were there. They kept giving us limited openings/timeslots and then we'd go to the restaurants and they'd be somewhat empty. We reasoned that they had limited staff and that they could only offer so many reservations. We found this a little concerning, especially since we didn't get to eat at some of the restaurants we had initially requested, but we got through it.

The beach is beautiful - immediately accessible off the resort. Lots of beach chairs, umbrellas, cabanas, etc. On the adult side, there is a spa; on the family side, there is a booth offering all sorts of excursions and water sport activities. Be weary of the guys on the beach asking you to visit their souvenir shops. Security does a good job of keeping these folks at bay and they don't approach you as you are sitting on the beach; however, if you do decide to walk off the resort and down the beach, they tend to harass you as you walk by. Not a serious concern, more annoying than anything else. The water is very warm, very clear. Beach itself is clean and well-maintained. There is no water skiing available on Royal beach - I presume because of coral and/or space safety, but there are a bunch of other water activities available.

Items at the gift shop are expensive - we had our sunscreen confiscated at the airport, and we had to pay a premium for it at the gift shop. Even other gift items are pretty expensive. We did not leave the resort, but heard that there is a shopping center nearby. Other items - we enjoyed the nightly entertainment that happens over on the Arena side. One night there was a talent show, another was karoake, another was a fire show, which was really good. Also, a couple's trivia/game night was also good. On the adult side, there is less nightly entertainment and more just music and dancing in the main outdoor atrium area, but it's pretty dead even with that.

I would definitely revisit this place again. I have recommended it to all my friends and family.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled on business
2 Thank Vanessa0206

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,498)
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed October 5, 2010

Spent five days here in September. Newer hotel in great shape. All facilities are immaculate. Staff is constantly cleaning windows, polishing floors, stokcing minibars. Most helpful and caring staff I have encountered. They really care. It is refreshing having traveled to similar places where that doesn't seem to be the case. Food is great as well. Didn't visit casino or other facilities next door at NH Arena, so can't review those. I will definitely go back to NH Royal!

• Stayed September 2010, traveled solo
1 Thank pdxrain
Asheville, North Carolina
Reviewed October 3, 2010

The resort blew our mind. The staff and service was out of this world. You must make sure to request that you have Erick the butler for he was there for us and helped out with any and everything that we needed. He became a great freind to us both. The hotel was well kept, brand new and very well landscaped. Every morning a slew of workers were out cleaning the pools and maintaining the grounds etc. The food was five star to say the least. Anything and everything that you could imagine was availiable. Room servive was included and 24 hours a day and was delicious and presented well. There were shows and atctivities every night and all of them were amazing. Now for the beach, GORGEOUS!! the sand was almost like powdered sugar and white as snow. The water was crystal clear and beautiful. Also at both ends of the beach were armed guards employed by the resort for your protection. This was a dream honeymoon and fullfilled all of our expectations. The price was more than fair, in fact, it was a steal.. Wonderfull trip, cant wait till the day we get to go back.

3 Thank ihateredoak
Israel
Reviewed October 2, 2010

NH Royal Beach was absolutely the best vacation we've ever been on!
My husband and I went there on our honeymoon, and it was superb all around. The room was huge and spotless, the food was fresh and good (and we're very picky eaters, so that's saying a lot) and there was plenty to choose from. The bars were very well stocked and did not try to "hide the good stuff" as some other hotels do. The beach is amazingly beautiful and kept clean at all times, as well as the pool and the rest of the hotel grounds.
But above all, the service was absolutely wonderful - the staff is kind, attentive, hospitable and professional. We couldn't have asked for a better vacation! Thanks!

1 Thank EsADIsrael
Gilbert, Arizona
Reviewed October 1, 2010

My review is mainly concentrated on the NH Royal Beach Grand Luxury Resort but I will also cover the ground transportation
provided by Coco Beach Tours for those purchasing ground transportation with their Orbitz package.
The beach is clean, equipped with chairs, towels, and umbrellas, and very nice with the exception of the vendors that can be
compared to a swarm of gnats that are always present. The pools are well maintained and very nice. This concludes everything
positive I have to report about NH Royal Beach Grand Luxury Resort. Our disappointment started once we cleared customs at the airport
and attempted to locate our ground transportation. We were supposed to be greeted with a driver holding a sign with our name written
on it, this was not the case. We had to locate the Orbitz "stand" and inquire about transport to the hotel. Even though we had
the voucher printed we were not offered transportation until after multiple conversations using a drivers cell phone to contact
some local customer service rep. We finally convince them we have paid for the ride and finally make it to a minivan that has every
engine light in existence lit.

We are finally here let the vacation begin, or so we think.

If you have been to Sandals and are expecting Sandals qality you will be soarly disappointed.

I was told upon check in that I needed to produce a voucher for the hotel, which does not exist. I was allowed to use the lobby computer at
no charge (I will elaborate) to print the non-existent voucher. I used this opportunity to IM with an Orbitz rep as calling was out of
the question, who informed me that the confirmation email printed off should appease the hotel staff. Fortunately for me this was the case.

The mini-bar is equiped with two beers, soda, water, and orange juice. If you want an adult beverage beyond the two "El Presidente" beers
you need to go to one of the bars. The room was lacking a sound cleaning, there were cup rings on the night stands and "mini-bar" and
a nasty make up caked gauze left in the bathroom. The room and building is very poorly constructed. You clearly hear EVERYTHING outside
your room. We hear every ding of the elevator that is six rooms down the hall, every door closed, every hall conversation. Apparently the hotel
does not pay their cable bill because every 30 minutes or so a warning message is displayed on the screen that the service will be
discontinued unless payment is made. At this point you either need to be patient the 10 minutes it requires for the message to timeout
or change channels as you can not acknowledge the message from your remote.

If you sleep in past the excessive hour of eight you must put the do not disturb sign on your door, this is not a huge inconvenience
in and of it's self. The issue is that the services that are attempted to be rendered pre-eight in the morning have now been forgone
unless you call and request them from the front desk. If you sleep past eight on your vacation you will need to call the front desk
to have your pathetic excuse for a mini-bar restocked each and every single day.

Room service is hit and miss at best, it is fairly prompt but that is all. The sushi I ordered was the worst I have ever had. To
put this in perspective I live in Phoenix AZ. Phoenix has some decent sushi bars but I don't think it is known for superb sushi by
any means and this was unacceptable even by my unrefined standards.

there is a charge for Wi-Fi which I can come to terms with however, there is also chagre for using the computers in the business center. Honestly
I could rant forever but I think you understand my opinion of the "resort".

...and share the link above with a friend to try collaborating in real-time.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank JBM13
Brooklyn, New York
Reviewed September 27, 2010

I went to Punta Cana with my husband, and we went to the NH Royal Beach resort to meet up with friends who are also a couple. I had never stayed in an all-inclusive resort before, as my husband and I are generally more adventurous types.

I have to say, it was a really fun experience! As other people have noted in their reviews, the staff at the NH Royal Beach is really outstanding. They are all so friendly and helpful. The staff are all bilingual in English and Spanish, so you won't have any problems with communication if you don't speak Spanish, but if you do, the staff are all quite cheerful and patient if you want to practice speaking it. Mind you, we stayed during the off season, so maybe during high season the staff are busier and not able to give as much personal attention, but I'm sure they still make their best effort to do so.

The rooms are clean, bright, and spacious. Plus, they each have a jacuzzi on their balcony, which I've never seen anywhere else. There are complimentary chips and water that they stock in your mini-fridge daily -- it's not a charge, much less the rip-off it is at most hotels.

Even if we weren't there to meet up with friends, I found it's a very social environment and you'll end up chatting with other couples who are staying there. We met people from Argentina, Germany, and the U.S. I don't think this is a place for single people; we really just saw couples there. There's an adjoining resort, the NH Royal Arena, that's for families. You can go eat at the restaurants they have at the Arena, but my advice would be to stick with the ones at the Royal Beach -- we found them to be better. If you're there on a Wednesday night, just eat at the buffet instead of making a restaurant reservation because they have lobster on Wednesday nights!

Another tip: rent one of the lounge areas on the beach. It costs $40 for the day, and you get your own private lounge area with two floors. The staff will come by and bring champagne and orange juice with cheese and fruit in the morning, and in the afternoon a masseuse will come by and give each person there a really great 5-minute massage. It's totally worth the money if you plan to relax on the beach for a full day.

There's only two negatives I'd cite: first is the "nightclub" at the Arena -- again, maybe it's because we were there during the off season, but it wasn't very happening. The DJ was a little off; you'd think he would cater to the tourists, but instead he played mostly Caribbean music that no one was into. Second: there is no free wi-fi. My husband brought his laptop but didn't use it, as the charge was something like $25 a day. They do have computers in the lobby, but again it's a charge to use the internet even for a few minutes. So I paid for 15 minutes just to send an email saying, "I won't be checking email while I'm here!" But both of these are pretty minor things.

We ate, drank, swam in the beach and the pool, and that was about it, for 3 full days and 2 half-days. But I didn't get bored at all. If you're looking for a relaxing and fun beach vacation, this is a great choice.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Lisbeth3040
Tampa, Florida
Reviewed September 26, 2010

Spouse and I arrived on Sept. 5, for seven night stay. We booked the trip through Apple Vacation and reservations were for the NH Real Arena hotel. However after reading the reviews on this site, I contacted the hotel via email and inquired about a upgrade to the Royal side. Spouse was to willing to pay the additional $210' but after the first night and several glasses of Hennessy, he was very pleased. Upon arrival, we went to Royal Beach side and were upgraded no problem. We did have to wait two hours, which was fine, we ate at the Buffet and became acquainted with the resort.
The room:
Our room was very clean and spacious. Yes, the bed is firm, but we slept well each night. We never ordered room service, so can't elaborate on it. The first evening we received a letter under the door welcoming us and proving dinner reservations to each of the specialty restaurants. Housekeeping kept our room very clean daily. We had an extra old hotel key so used it and never had a problem with air conditioning. The safe is free and very easy to use.
The food:
The Festival Buffet was our favorite and seemed safer then some of the others. We had pre made reservations and went to two of the restaurants on the NH Arena side, first I'm very sensitive to smells, so as we walk to the NH Arena side, I could smell sewage, which may of made me more critical. we ate at Senses (French) and Shore Grill. Both had a mildew smell. And just did not feel clean to me, the interior design was great, but something did not feel right. There were only two or three other couples the entire time we ate. The food was not good and I ate very little. One night we return to the Festival buffet and they had lobster and lamb, so needless to say I ate again, and we concluded no more NH real arena dinners. Our best dinner was at El Mortero, wonder selection, Pure was just okay, we ate there twice. We never got sick and nor tired of to selections at the Festival Buffet.
The service & Staff:
The service was great everywhere we went. My husband speaks Spanish pretty well, so communication was never and issue. also I believe the staff appreciates if you at least try to talk to them in Spanish. My favorite person was Franco. he provided un with basic scuba lessons, he was very thoughtful and patient. We did complete our scuba certification while at Royal. My husbands very was Luis and Margerhti at the pool and beach bar. Everyone was wonder and very accommodating. Okay tips, yes you should tip and we tip daily, only exception was maid service, we tip her the day we left.
Activities:
I loved to work out, here's my only negative, I could not use the gym, it was full of mold. On our second day I. Went to the gym use the weights, I stayed for maybe 20 minutes and began to have breathing issues. I never went back to the gym, but, did take part in beach pilots, which was fine. We also went zip lining and to Sanoa Island. Both excursions were great and allowed us to see Punta Cana and other parts of DR. The rain put a little damper on the night activities but, staff had no problem moving shows and musicians to drier areas.
Our trip was wonderful, my husband says it was the best! We have travel to Jamaica, Bahama, Aruba, Belize, Cozumel and others, I agree this was a very good vacation.

2 Thank Kdmore