“Fantastic”

Secrets Royal Beach Punta Cana
Ranked #9 of 112 Hotels in Punta Cana
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed July 22, 2010

nice modern spacey rooms, Buffet was great, especially if you like latin food, there is a section for American food and one for vegetarians, Fairy, a hostess always welcomed us at the restaurant making you feel special, the waiters, especially Abraham and Zamora catered to all our needs, They were very thoughful and had chef Adrain prepared us a special dish of our choice, The beach is georgous, clean white sand and clear blue sea at your doorstep. Kevin made sure we had towels and always so friendly and courteous, The bartenders very funny and entertaining, especially at the pool were Luis the bartender greeted you with a winning smile. This was a great vacation,highly recommend it, want to feel like King or Queen for a week NH staff can certainly make you feel that way.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with friends
2  Thank mmj90301
Write a ReviewReviews (10,088)

Reviewed July 22, 2010

As an experienced DR traveler(10 times), hopefully I can clear up some misunderstandings regarding this wonderful resort. We stayed at the NH Royal Beach from July 14-21st in a perfect swim up room 4162. It was near the beach and the main buffet which sits at the beach. The swim up room came in handy especially with the rainy days that we had. We could simply jump in the pool at our room and lay out on our terrace. That upgrade was worth it. Our air conditioning worked without a problem. The room was really pretty with a lovely double vanity area. The spa shower had super water pressure. The Jacuzzi outside was a nice touch too. Our vacation was absolutely perfect. We were there for relaxation on the beach and a romantic setting and we found it. The staff knocked themselves out during our week to make our stay fabulous. We loved Yoeni and Erick on the beach who constantly checked on us and made sure that our drinks were full. At the bargain price paid, we didn’t expect beach service and we were grateful. We also loved all of the servers in the buffets and various restaurants. Did we tip? Absolutely and everyone should. Just take 100 one dollar bills with you. Tipping did not matter however, we found ourselves calling servers back to the table to give them the tips. They seemed to love what they were doing regardless. We found language barriers fun and did our best to practice our Spanish all week. It’s their country. Take your phrase book and learn some basic vocabulary.
I have stayed in lots of all inclusive resorts so I had many to compare this place to. The service here was tops! Yes, we had to call for maid service a couple of times but we discovered that many people had do not disturb signs on their doors on our hall. That may have caused the maids to do our hall last. That may have accounted for the slowness in maid service a couple of times.They arrived fast whenever you called with whatever you needed (towels, minibar items etc) Turndown service was great too. The buffet was normal DR all inclusive fare. You certainly won’t go hungry and there were many choices. The grill chefs and pasta chefs made anything we asked for. Mimosas, smoothies and salmon were on the buffet in the AM. What more could you ask for? We loved all of the ala cartes with the exception of Senses. The NH Royal side ala cartes were airconditioned while others on the Arena side were indeed a bit warm. They should make sure they have air conditioning on in these places. You had a choice of air conditioning or outside dining at the Royal Beach main buffet. The ala carte menus often did not give you enough choices. If you aren’t a meat eater or raw fish eater, you may be forced to eliminate a course or two at the meal etc. The hotel should really provide enough choices for vegetarians and non red meat eaters in all of the ala cartes. Also, while lobster was appreciated in the buffet at times and in the ala cartes, they were always mushy and overcooked. We couldn’t understand that and tried to avoid lobster. Room service was quickly delivered and was a wonderful option . We enjoyed the room service pizza, burgers and desserts at night and during rainy periods during the day.
Some of the ala cartes were on the other side of the resort where the kids are but we certainly weren’t impacted by the presence of children over there. We really didn’t deal with the shows on that side but did enjoy their lobby bar at times. You don’t have to go over there if you don’t want to. NH Royal Beach has a lovely plaza area with bar service where they had live music at times. It was sufficient.
The gym was pretty nice with hoist type weight equipment, two treadmills, and one elliptical. Plenty of free weights were available. We didn’t use it but visited. It was air conditioned properly. The spa looked good too but we didn’t use it. Spa pricing seemed appropriate.
We purchased the 25 dollar for 25 hours of wifi internet for our room. We surfed the web whenever we wanted and still didn’t use all of the time.
They kept the beach vendors away from you on the beach with the exception of some of the tour operators. That was a plus and was appreciated. Security was terrific. We witnessed a horrific parasailing accident on a very windy day. The cable snapped and two parasailers flew over the pool, resort buildings and to the Melia resorts. We heard that they survived the incident with some scrapes. We both felt that the parasailing looked a little out of control out there all week and anticipated that incident. We saw no more parasailing for the rest of the week.
Yes, the rooms can have that damp smell and it was in our clothes when we left. Our clothes were really damp when we left also. That is pretty typical of Caribbean resorts. Just wash your clothes when you get home. That vacation smell goes away.
No connection to the hotel but my expensive curling iron was confiscated at the Punta Cana airport in my carry on and I saw another guy arguing with customs to get his expensive Redken hair gel and his jewelry back. I may not take a carry on next time. That was upsetting. I understand the liquid rules but killer curling irons and jewelry? Sounds like theft to me. It ruined a perfect travel day. Air Tran transportation and Apple Vacations did a nice job. All transportation was on time or early.
Take the Catamaran tour to Saona Island. It is amazing. However, do not. I repeat….. do not purchase a video of your time on the Catamaran tour. The forty dollar video was extremely blurry and a waste of good money. It is choppy and unedited. The camera is all over the place like a kindergarten student made the tape. What a rip off! We couldn’t believe how bad it was.
We really don’t have any serious negatives regarding the resort. The surroundings were upscale right down to the beach chairs and the service could not be topped. We would go back in a heartbeat. Ignore the picky reviews and don’t worry. NH Royal Beach is a great all adult inexpensive option for a great beach getaway.

2  Thank unlikethe1
Reviewed July 21, 2010

We just returned from NH Royal Beach and were very pleased with everything. We went to relax. If you're looking for big shows and casinos, go to Vegas. I've been to several luxury resorts and this one didn't disappoint. Again, we were here to relax.

I'll try and address some of the concerns I've read about.

Staff- A+. Probably some of the nicest people I've ever met. Always smiling. Always. Any request we made was met promptly with a smile. Carmen and Fransico stand out but everyone there was fantastic! They really seem to appreciate any effort you make to speak Spanish. By the end of the week I was on a first name basis with several of them.

Grounds/Location- A. Always clean. Tons of swaying palms. Beautiful plants, will only get better as they mature.

Pool-A+. Very clean and relaxing. Always plenty of chairs, towels, and space available. Never crowded. Great drink service around the pool as well.

Beach-A+. Beautiful. We never had a problem getting a palm hut. Very clean. Drink service was slower here, but there is a beach bar a few steps away.

Room-A. Very spacious. Always clean. Our room was cleaned and mopped everyday and there was turn down service at night. The A/C only works if there is a card in the wall slot, but any business card will do. Our room was always very cool. The mini bar has 2 of several types of drinks. This didn't leave us enough of what we wanted. We mentioned this to the bell hop who took us to the room and out bar was always well stocked with exactly what we wanted (6 beers, 2 cokes, 2 water, 2 OJ).

Bars-A. Very good service. Every request was met with a smile. Want top shelf? Just ask. No problem. Their standard beer is Presidente but they have no problem dishing out Coronas. We took 32 oz insulated mugs and they filled them with what ever we wanted- frozen drinks, top shelf, beer- no worries. The pool bar is the busiest but I never had an empty drink for more than a minute. The drinks they serve there are in smaller plastic cups. If you need more, just ask. They'll hand you 2 or 4 at a time with a smile. They are very happy to serve drinks in a fresh pineapple or coconut also.

Restaurants-B+. This resort draws a lot of Europeans, so much of the food is geared towards them. However, I was able to find something good everywhere I went. I'm up for trying new food, I wasn't looking for a Chilis. The buffet always had something for me. The Asian restaurant and the Tex-Mex were our favorites. Pure was not for my taste. I'm sure it was good, but a lot f the food didn't appeal to me. The a/c was always fine for us. We never got sick, nor did we meet anyone who got sick. The water they serve in the restaurants is from five gallon bottles.

Entertainment-B+. This was kind of hit or miss. A few of the shows were very good but others were not. This was not a big deal to us since we weren't there expecting big shows. The casino is small, maybe 5 black jack tables, roulette, and a dozen slots.

A few other random thoughts; the lobby a/c is set to about 76. However, most of the other hotels have open air lobbies. They keep most of the vendors off the property, but a few are allowed on. They can be a touch pushy, but a could "no thanks" will do the job. DO NOT go para sailing. There were two accidents while we were there, one was pretty bad. I would recommend the zip line tour. It was a good time.Relax and remember you're not in America. Things will be different. Enjoy this. You have the means and freedom to travel, this makes you very lucky!

2  Thank bfoxg8r
Reviewed July 21, 2010

First off, I want to say that the service, food, cleanliness, and friendliness of everyone and the staff was very good. The beach and hotel scenary were very nice. The room was great, as well as the service and friendliness of the staff. However, one of the main reasons I picked this hotel was because it was supposed to be ADULTS ONLY with lots of activities! The NH Arena is attached to the hotel and is much cheaper to stay at but not adults only. Most of the activities including all of the night life (shows, disco club, casino) are all located at that hotel. We spoke to dozens of couples and most agreed that they found themselves bored at the RH hotel. Also 4 of the 6 restaurants, that you need to make reservations for immediately or they become booked, are at the Arena hotel. Many of the posted activities did not take place during the day or were hard to find and at differnt times than what were posted. One last major complaint was that the only bar open after 7 was the lobby bar. Yes 7pm, no beach bar or outdoor bar at either hotel after that. One last complaint is that their is no food served between 10:30 and 1:00 (except room service). Overall, if this is your first vacation anywhere or you just want to lay at the beach and swim in the pool you will probably have a good to great time. However, if you like to do "stuff" during the day and night, I do not know how anyone that went can say they are not dissappointed.

1  Thank Airweiss
Reviewed July 21, 2010

My husband and I had a wonderful stay at the NH Royal Beach. The staff was very friendly and everyone was always smiling. The room was awesome! It was clean, the bed was very comfortable, and we had a great view from our balcony. Our favorite thing was the pool, very nice; love the lazy river. We were right on the beach, which was clean, had great shade spots, and hotel security was always on the lookout. The food was very good. We mostly ate at the buffet. Made one reservation at Pure which was very nice and elegant. My one complaint would be that there was only one person there making reservations and we had to wait quite a while to get ours made. This is a quite resort, so if you are looking for night life, you won't find it here. You can however find it next door at the Real which you have total access to. I would definitely recommend this hotel. You won't be disappointed.

1  Thank rascal67
Reviewed July 20, 2010

I have been to this resort 3 times since it opened in December 2009.I would never go back to the same resort if I didnt love it.I travel with my friend..who's been to DR 12 times,and by far NH Royal Beacn is hers (and mine-been to DR 7 times) --favorite!!Everyone from front desk(I love you Darling/Dorogoi),to bell boy(miss you too Ramon),to my friends on the beach(Leyni,Raymond),bartenders at pool bar Dewart,Basilio and Margaritha.Carlos,Domingo,Francis,Zamora-I love u guys!!!.The staff of NH Royal from top to bottom have gone out of the their way to grant our every wish.My friend and I will be going to see our friends at NH in 2-3 month.See you soon!! Irina and irina ;)

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled with friends
3  Thank NHloverIrina
Reviewed July 20, 2010

I travelled to the DR to celebrate my 50th bday and met up with my brother and his wife (her bday too!) We all stayed at the NH Royal in Bavaro Beach.

We were blown away by the beauty of the beach and hotel. The NH Royal is a newer hotel and from the minute you walk through the doors you are treated marvellously by the staff. The staff is friendly, helpful and warm. The hotel decor and cleanliness magnificent!

The food, activities and amenities were better than advertised.

I was a woman travelling alone but never felt unsafe.

I believe the highlight of our trip was the staff at the poolside bar. They were all so delightful and professional; Luis and Margarita, however deserve special mention. They made the trip so special for us....and I miss them already! They deserve special accolades (and a raise!). Antonio took special care of my brother and made his trip memorable.

Thanks to everyone at the NH Royal for memories I'll never forget.....Tamara G., Boston, MA

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled solo