“Needs a small amount of work”

Secrets Royal Beach Punta Cana
Ranked #6 of 112 Hotels in Punta Cana
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed June 4, 2010

Loved the beauty and cleanliness of this place. Right next door at the NH Real is another world. Run down and overcrowded. We were so pleased we went with the top choice. The staff was lovely. Deibei and Dewar at the pool bar were fabulous and hardworking. The young girl with them had trainee on her tag was equally wonderful. Girl at reception during day could use a little attitude adjustment. Restaurant staff are so wonderful and hard working. They need more light weight uniforms. They were sweating so much. Felt bad for them. Food was good. Buffet immaculate. Good selection. Beach palapas too close together and was never waited on for drinks while on the beach. Didn't mind going to pool bar but sometimes it would have been nice. Beach gorgeous. Great security. Very serious. Felt very safe. Rooms gorgeous and immaculate. Need facial tissues in the rooms. Very odd not there. Wish we could have stayed longer and would definetly go back.

2  Thank karenbearcountry
There are newer reviews for Secrets Royal Beach Punta Cana

Reviewed June 3, 2010

My husband and I stayed here from May 14 to the 21st. Our check in went smoothly and we were greeted with a cold drink. We requested an ocean front room and we were upgraded to a suite for an extra 40 dollars a night. The money was well worth it. We were put in a suite -ocean front- two bathrooms-living area with pull out couch and table and chairs. The bedroom was huge. The balcony had a round hot tub and a shower. Nice table and chairs and a lounge chair. Our suite however was part of the NH Arena which wasn't a problem because we could use both resorts. The only thing I didn't like was that all the activities and entertainment were in the Arena resort. The resort is quite spread out but you can call and get a golf cart to take you where you want to go.

Food was average at the buffet and we always found something we liked. But the different resorts we have been to in the past have had much better food. We did order room service several times and it was good and arrived in about 25 minutes. We only went to the Mexican restaurant and it was very good but not Mexican food.

The best part of this resort is the workers and the beach. The people work very hard and they are so friendly and cannot do enough for you. The beach is awesome!! No vendors on the beach but they do come to the resort twice a week and that is really nice. Just remember to bargain with them on the price of the items you want.

Last I would like to say if you are looking for a very quiet and relaxing place this is it. This was a good deal for the money we paid. I was however disappointed because this was our 43rd anniversary and my husbands 65th birthday and we were given nothing special for this even though I did mention this when we checked in. I would love to go back to Punta Cana but would probably stay somewhere different only because I like to try different resorts.

3  Thank gug
Reviewed June 3, 2010

From start to finish, our stay at Royal Beach was relaxing and memorable. The hotel is very clean and modern and the rooms are huge. Every single staff member we encountered was smiling and helpful. This hotel definitely exceeds expectations when it comes to service. A few high notes: the beach is beautiful and chairs were plentiful. The service at the buffet, Pure, and the Mexican restaurant was top-notch. Many, many thanks to Neudy and the rest for their attentive and gracious service... my glass was never empty, not once. The entertainment staff on the Real side worked very hard and we thoroughly enjoyed the Cirque-style show. I will definitely return.

1  Thank azucar27
Reviewed June 3, 2010

Ok well i have stayed and the NH Real and NH Royal. My recent visit to the NH Royal was not to good. The Service from the people is great. The food on the other hand had to be the worst i have ever had. There is only so many days you can eat chicken fingers and french fries. Come on NH need to switch up the chefs. Now on to something else the A/C besides there is no air conditioning in the resort besides your room and that goes off at about 2am. The restaurants have no A/C which i cant understand for the life of me made dinner very unenjoyable. And now for the casino seemed like they shut off the air in the casino at 11pm. Which i couldnt understand you would think they would keep it coldest in there so you stay there gambling. I personally think the NH Royal needs a management face lift. As far as all the workers they are great Esther at the front desk couldnt be anymore helpful she was there for anything you needed Ramon the bell boy he is the best he actually remembered me from my last stay which was surprising. Bartenders were great.

Reviewed June 2, 2010

Ok here is a VERY honest review of the resort:

Rooms: Very Nice, spacious but sparsely decorated. The beds were very comfortable and the shower and bathroom was a nice size. I did not get the humidty everyone talked about and found the large shower very nice. There is water on the floor but they give you a bath mat you can use so it is really not a big deal. 2 sinks, very nice, comfortable bed. The air was so so. It never gets really cold but it was comfortable. Great hot tub on the balcony and great large space. Overall very happy with the room. The room was on the 3rd floor and the elevator did not work for most of stay. That was not so fun coming home after a night of drinking. I brough damp rid hangers with me and I put one in the bathroom, 1 in my closet and 1 in the living room to soak up some of the humidity and they really do work. It pulled out a lot of water in the room. I always bring them to keep my clothes from getting mildew smelling. They do work. I advise people to bring a few. It definitely helped

Beach: Very nice and very wide. The water was beautiful and clear. We did get seaweed wash in 2 days of our stay but what are you going to do it is nature. Overall I was very happy with the beach. The water is calm as glass and very little waves which is very nice for relaxing. There are always enough chairs, huts and palm trees. We are also allowed to use the NH Arena beach area as well. Very nice. Also there were NO beach vendors hassling you on the beach. They have security everywhere to keep them away gand it was very relaxing. I heard others complain about no beach service. We had it every day so they definitely have drink service on the Royal side of the resort. My one big complaint was the walk way. There is NO direct walkway to the beach. You have to walk in circles around the entire lazy river and get decapitated by the huts around the pool. They really should have umbrella's as they would take up less space. Also they huts are very low and hard to maneuver around. Also there is no clear cut walk way to the beach it is a big maze. We ended up cutting through the buffet restaurant every day like white trash carrying our floats. Not pretty but it worked :-)

Now on to my major complaint the Food: The food was bad!! The buffet was awful. Really bad!!Repetitive is not the word. Same for Lunch and Dinner. All they do is throw in a new meat or 2 and that is is. WORST buffet I ever had at an all inclusive. Also the a la cartes are the worse as well. Every other resort I have ever stayed at you had a choice of 3-5 appetizers, 5 or so entrees, salads, pasta something. Here every a la carte is a fixed menu. No choice of Appetizer, Salad, Soup, only had a choice of entree and only 2 choices a fish or a meat. The Mexican restaurant as other scomplained is not mexican it is more of a continential I guess. Not really what I expected. They have an appetizer bar and a salad bar than you get your entree sit down. One of the better of the a la cartes but still mediocre at best. The best restaurant was the italian. Even though a pretty fixed menu the best quality of choices. The French was just bad. We stayed at Dreams Palm beach last year and at dinner the a la cartes had full menus with lots of choices like a regular restaurant and you could have whatever you wanted. Also another pet peave of mine was NO drinks in any of the restaurants. Only the house drink of the night, wine, beer, soda or champagne. Every other AI I have ever been to they could bring you a Pina Colada, Margarita whatever and no menu deviations at all. And the all time worst was the reservation system. At Dreams you did NOT have to make reservations at all and you could simply go to dinner at whatever time you wanted and whatever restaurant you wanted and they would give you a beaper like at home and call you when your table was ready. Much much better system. Of all the AI places I have stayed the NH had one of the worst reservation systems. I made friends with the resident manager Clara our first day at she took care of it for us but it was not an easy system and the food was one of the worse ever experienced at an all inclusive. They guest services folks would tell you nothing was available and the only opening was 9-9:30 and than the manager got us in a 8 and there were 10+ empty tables. Very frustrating. Also every other resort I ever stayed at there is swing restaurant opened for later risers and for those who wanted an afternoon snack. Here the breakfast was done by 10:30 and everywhere else was 11 am. I am up every day for work at 5 am, on vacation I want to sleep in and I couldn't even get a cup of coffee. Since I couldn't get dinner reservations until 9 pm most nights I would have loved an afternoon snack to hold me over to dinner and there was nothing opened after 4 pm until 7.

Entertainment:

Was pretty boring. Not much to do. To be honest ,to me the NH Arena the cheaper sister property seemed to be a nicer resort. All of the amenities and the better restaurants were there. The bar was nicer, the night club was there, the spa. I am not sure why the Royal Beach was worth more money. To be honest I didn't see the value. You could eat at the Mexican Restaurant and the Restaurant Pure if you stayed at the Royal beach and if you stayed at the other resort you were not allowed, but they were nothing to write home over so didn't really see the value. You can walk over or take the tram the Arena every night to enjoy the amenities anyway. Also the people were younger and more fun at the Arena side. At night not much to do. The casino was tiny if you wanted to call it that. The club was NOT air conditioned so it was hot as hell and Men are absolutely NOT allowed to wear shorts anywhere and had to wear pants at every restaurant. It was so hot and very annoying. I wanted to wear short at least to 1 place in the resort one night and was not allowed. Women could wear shorts, flip flops whatever they wanted but men not so. At Dreams there was a beach restaurant and the buffet where you could wear shorts. Would have been nice at least 1 or 2 nights out of our 14 day vacation. Shows were not great either and no AC as they were outside so if it rained which it did almost every evening there was no show.

Staff:

Clara the resident manager was very very accomodating and very sweet. She really tried to make our stay nice. It was my friends Birthday while we were there and she made dinner reservations for us that night and had balloons in my friends room. They were very nice. Service wise the staff could NOT do enough. Everyone was thank you it was my pleasure etc. Service was very very good!! Esther at the front desk was very accomodating with our rooms and put us close to the beach. Gave us beach views etc. I cannot say enough nice things about the staff.

I am not a huge fan of AI resorts personally but the friends and family I travel with do not earn what I earn so AI resorts are more budget friendly and they like paying one price. I go because I want to be with them and enjoy our time together. We go away every year in may together for the last 20 years and always stay at an AI. Here are the things I do not like about AI's: The Reservation systems for dinner at the a la cartes. I find it such a hassle. Have to get drinks self serve most times and have to go to the bar from the beach. Everything is plentiful but self serve. The food quality is not what you would receive if you were paying for each meal at a restaurant. Also you have to slup rafts from home, thermal cups and generally service is geared up towards self service. At Dreams last yearI was spoiled. Finally an AI resort I could get on board with, All the things I hate about AI's they addressed, No reservations required for dinner, Shorts allowed in some restaurants, rafts available on the beach so you do not have bring from home or slup every day to the beach, no towel cards so you don't have to towel hoard and run to return them every day, food was like fine dining at a restaurant you pay for instead of mass produced food, drink service on the beach and poolside. I think I was expecting this resort to be on par with last year's experience and you live and learn.

This resort is nice and will probably meet most needs but compared to Dreams it falls short. Dreams I had NOT one complaint the entire vacation, Room, Food, Service, Amenities, Grounds, Food, Spa, etc. Everything was perfect. NH Royal beach was not the same and had complaints about food, resort lay out and the extra's were not included. No MP3 in the room, dvd player in the room and never received turn down service which I received every night at Dreams.

Overall a good value for what we paid but CANNOT compare to Dreams and if you want a really have a top notch vacation pay a little extra and go to Dreams as this resort did not compare. I hope this was helpful. Oh almost forgot to mention. I read some guests had diarea. I had it the whole time. No matter what I ate I got it.I avoided water, still got it. I avoid fruit and thought maybe it was the fruit still go it. I think they use unpurified water to cook and wash the fruits and veggies so I got sick. I did NOT get sick at Dreams at all. I read another review and I am having the same stomach issues and I am home a week now myself! I would definitely take lomitil or amodium with you in case!! Or just go to Dreams and avoid the whole thing all together :-)

Good luck and if you have any questions email me.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled with friends
4  Thank fjv51068
Reviewed June 2, 2010

The thing I enjoyed the most about the Hotel was the friendly service or staff, the food, and the location. The staff was very nice and helpful; in particular, a lady named "Jacquelin" and two bar tenders: Dewars and Junior.

I think something that would have made my stay excellent would be a better ventilation at clubs, bars, and lobby. For example- Club Thantra did not have any fans therefore was super hot.

1  Thank LolaFloresTampa
Reviewed June 2, 2010

My friends and I wanted a beautiful beach and non-stop mojitos, that's exactly what we got! The rooms were quite spacious with modern furnishings and decor, which was a treat for us New York City dwellers. Food was very good in both the buffet and the restaurants. But the best part of this resort is the staff! Not only were they friendly and helpful at all times, they were very sincere - from Darling at the front desk, Francisco, Dewars, Jennifer & Junior the bartenders, Isaiah & Carlos both yoga/pilates instructors and performers to Zamora, Abraham, & Gomez in the restaurant. I remembered all their names as they remembered ours! There is one little comment I would like to make about the staff's uniform. Whoever is in charge should definitely rethink it and make it more comfortable with lighter fabric and color. it was quite distracting to have a wait staff sweating profusely as he is pouring you a drink.

1  Thank P&Eshow