“What a fabulous trip! The employees at NH Royal Beach are top-notch.”

Secrets Royal Beach Punta Cana
Ranked #6 of 112 Hotels in Punta Cana
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Hagerstown, Maryland
“What a fabulous trip! The employees at NH Royal Beach are top-notch.”
Reviewed April 30, 2010

NH Royal Beach April 21-28
Let me start by saying that due to my husband’s food allergies (Celiac Disease) I had emailed the resort ahead of time, and they knew I was a DE on TripAdvisor. That being said, all the guests I spoke to at the resort had few complaints, and were more than satisfied. I think the Volcano Ash interfered with European travelers so they offered to upgrade many adult couples who were checking into the NH Real Arena for an additional $25 per night per room. What a deal! No kids, no crowd, premium brand liquor. I’m sure that rate will vary.

CHECK IN: At 12:30 when we arrived our room was ready. Mr. Ramirez met me to go over the food issues for my husband. He wrote something in Spanish and told me to show it at all restaurants. He had made reservations for us at all 6 ala Carte restaurants because it was easier to cook-to-order for my husband. They were not really set up for gluten-free meals, but they would do their best, and asked that we be pro-active in meal choices. I wanted to give him a BIG HUG! Service so far was more than I could have expected.

ROOMS: The rooms are in 2 buildings, each with 3 floors and elevators. There are meandering pathways between them and Jacuzzi’s on each patio or balcony. Rooms closer to the beach have higher numbers than those closer to the lobby. Building 4100 had patios/balconies facing the plaza, gardens, or pool with an entry opposite the NH Real. Building 5100 odd numbered rooms had patio/balconies facing the plaza, gardens and pool and even numbered rooms across the hallway, with patio/balconies facing a pathway, and vegetation that will soon cover a fence separating the resort next door, which looks to me like the most private Jacuzzi area. We stayed in 4126, ground level, patio faced gardens between both buildings, steps from the end of the lazy river portion of the pool. LOVELY!! They also fogged in the evening for mosquitoes, which seemed to help.

BEACH: The reason to go to Punta Cana! I’d almost forgotten how amazing it is! Never had a problem getting a chair, but we moved back and forth between the beach and pool. The reef is just off the shore so the water is calmer with few waves. There was some seaweed but it was easy to avoid (it’s the OCEAN people!) They cleaned the beach daily. Easy enough to find sun or shade depending on your preference.

POOL: We took our float to the dive shop and had it inflated. Then we shared it with others in the pool, so we met lots of people. They start the day with rolled up towels on many chairs so you don’t have to walk to the beach activities area if you are lucky. The lazy river was a wonderful way to relax. The Pool Bar was where the action was. Everyone had a great time getting to know each other, and the bartenders remembered what we were drinking, even if we changed it daily. Deibe, Basilio, and Dewars took special care of us. We tipped, but not every round, and still got great service. The pools were very clean.

RESTAURANTS: We were fortunate to have ala Carte reservations every night except the last, so we tried them all. This may not be the hotel’s policy for all guests, but due to food issues they did accommodate us. All of our meals were satisfying, some better than others. The best meal was at Pure. The worst was probably the Shore Grill. I ordered shrimp with garlic and they were small and I couldn’t taste the garlic. No big deal, I still had plenty to eat. Here’s where I disagree with some other reviews I’ve seen. Yes, the breakfast and lunch buffets had several of the same items repeated every day. However, there were many additional items that were new each day. One day they had a breaded beef that was excellent! They had a carving station that changed from pork to chicken to beef, etc. each done differently. The Chicken Oregano was tender and delicious! The pasta station had 3 sauces, none that I wanted, so I asked the chef to make me pasta with garlic, olive oil and fresh tomatoes. I couldn’t have made it better myself! The only time we ate at the buffet at night they were serving sushi. It was so good I ended up getting full and skipping the hot buffet items! No, it’s not perfect. But you WON’T go hungry!

BARS: Top shelf available, just ask for it. Stoli, Absolut, Beefeater, Tanqueray, Jose Cuervo, Jim Beam, Jack Daniels, Johnny Walker, Brugal, Ron Barcelo, that’s all I can remember right now. The beer was Presidente. They had Corona in the gift shop for $160 pesos each ($4.50 US). The “up-charge” liquors were Budweiser ($4), Herradurra ($7) Don Julio ($9). They had a champagne list too.

ENTERTAINMENT: Could be better. The band in the Plaza was fine, the song choices could be better, but they are catering to a diverse crowd. All the shows are next door at the NH Real Arena. We didn’t go to any. The music on the beach had the same loop tape played EVERY DAY. The Pool Bar had the same problem. Rick Astley and Kenny Rodgers were getting on my nerves!! LOL It became the joke at the pool.

SERVICE: THIS is where the NH Royal Beach excelled! From the moment we walked onto the property to the moment we left, we were pampered and well taken care of! The waiters and waitresses, chefs, food managers, housekeeping staff, bell boys, mini bar personnel, bartenders and hotel managers made sure we had whatever we needed, whether in the restaurants, at the pool, or in the plaza at night. Not only did they take care of my husband’s food issues, but when they found out it was his 50th birthday they went over and above expectations. We were brought breakfast in bed of scrambled eggs and fruit (gluten-free!). When we returned to our room it was decorated with balloons and Happy Birthday signs. Erick from guest relations and 2 other employees were there to greet us. They led us to the patio where the Jacuzzi was filled with bubbles and flowers, and “Happy Birthday Mr. Mike” spelled out. Then a bottle of champagne showed up! WOW! The housekeeping staff was amazing and kept our room spotless. Turndown service every night made sure we had clean towels. The mini bar was always stocked with water, diet coke, coke, orange juice, orange soda, Presidente beer, and a bag of Yuca chips. Now, is it because of TripAdvisor?? Maybe. And yes, we do tip. Also, we booked through Apple Vacations and were given a red bracelet with a wooden apple on it. Orbitz, Cheap Caribbean, CanJet and other guests all had different ones. Apple guests got a fruit basket and bottle of Brugal rum on arrival. Others did not. But all the other guests I spoke to were very happy and very well taken care of. I would not be surprised if this becomes a “Golden Apple” resort soon.

One last note. We had the Do No Disturb sign on our door twice. Both times was ignored.

5 Thank Vacation-Loca

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,559)
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Baltimore, Maryland
Reviewed April 30, 2010

We stayed at the NH Royal the first week of April and had a wonderful time! After scouring the reviews of all the different resorts in Punta Cana I believe we picked one of the best. The resort is new so it's still exceptionally clean - the rooms are spacious, bathrooms are large (with walkin glass showers) and each balcony has private whirlpool!

A couple words of advice for future guests:
* Bring your own waterbottle for drinks! The ones they pour are about 5 ounces and melt in the sun within minutes!
* Bring cheap floaties for the pool and then pass on to new guests when you leave - much cheaper in US than the mall or gift shop
* LOAD UP ON SUNSCREEN - 2 people - 7 days =6 bottles of spray! Gift shop sells it for $30!
*If you want a chair at the pool get there EARLY and reserve - not enough chairs
* No chance of getting a hut on the beach unless you wake up at 5am (no joke) but there are plenty of chairs
* Request a room that is close to the pool
* If you want to use the whirlpool don't request a room on the groundfloor! Unless you want to give all the other guests a show!
*Bring a lot of dollars (we brought $200 and went through most of it) a dollar tip goes a LONG way for the workers and somehow your drinks taste better!

Food Review:
My first recommendation is if you are looking for great food don't book an all-inclusive resort. Remember they are feeding for the masses here folks - if you want to complain shell out the big bucks and stay at a 5star private resort.
Book all reservations as soon as you check in for the whole week - we chose to do late dinners (8-9PM) which worked out well to fit in a little nap or whirlpool bath after the beach...

*The buffet on NH Royal side is actually great - especially for breakfast! Yes it gets a little old after your 5th day of eating lunch and breakfast there but they try to mix it up daily
* Pure - this was a more ecletic place - not one of my favorites
*El Mortero - favorite restaurant - side outside and order the flank steak or salmon!
On the NH Real Side:
* Beach buffet - the NH Royal is much better and you dont have to deal with kids
*Breakfast buffet - serve mimosas and bloody marys on this side but much busier
*Shore Grill - DONT GO - the only restuarant with subpar food
*Senses - great atmosphere - romantic and the best dinner we had!
* Cinque Terre - pretty good italian food
* ALSO 24 HR ROOM SERVICE IS AVAILABLE! Not the best food but when you are starving it does the trick.

If you want to shop for souvenirs DO NOT walk up the beach (if you are looking at the ocean - its to your left)...there are a lot of guys trying to talk you into coming to your shop and its SCARY! You are better off walking about 10-15 minutes to your right - you'll see small beach huts with locals hanging around so expect to be haggled! but you can bargain some great prices for paintings!

2 Thank jvo531
Port Clinton, Ohio
Reviewed April 29, 2010

My wife and I have been vacationing at all inclusive resorts for the past 10 years in both Mexico and Dominican Republic. Of all the resorts we have stayed at, the NH Royal Beach resort is one of the best. Clean rooms, excellent food, friendly staff and fantastic beach. In particular one of NH Royal Beach hosts named "Eric" went out of his way to make are stay very nice. Dave & Sally

3 Thank nature50862
California, USA
Reviewed April 26, 2010

The resort's manager claimed this is five stars resort. However, I personally give this resort a three stars, due to the following reasons:
Positive:
1) Staff speak limited English but are polite
2) Nice resort
3) Quick check in/out
4) Delicious bread
5) Fresh seafood and steak (often over cooked)

Negatives:
1) Stolen money in the room
2) Internet cut you off while you're in the middle of writing email
3) Same Breakfast menu everyday
4) Lack of fresh fruits
5) Resort can recruit better chef so that steak, lobster and eggs won't be over cooked
6) Better cooling system for the asian restaurant
7) Lack of communication such as: Event announcement, daily activities, etc...
8) Lots of mosquito

2 Thank Sheltieslover
Enfield, ns
Reviewed April 26, 2010

we just returned from a week at the NH Royal Beach and had a vacation to remember. The first great thing is that we were the only ones checking in at 10 am and they had a room ready for us within the hour. We had an ocean view room on the second floor which was amazing and also overlooked the pool (lazy river). The only problem was it had 2 beds and we had wanted a king size bed. We went to the reception and "Darling" was very accommodating and got us a new room on the third floor with a better view. His English was very good. We enjoyed a jacuzzi bath every evening on the balcony looking at the ocean.
The staff are amazing, very friendly. The yoga instructor, Isaias is really good at what he does and is quite easy on the eyes. Carlos is very funny teaching dance and volleyball. There is waiter service at the beach and around the pool, we got to know Margarita and Yolanni quite well. Gisell was a waiter at the lobby bar and she spoke very good English, we had a few laughs.
The view from the buffet was incredible and the waiters were very effiecient, we never had an empty glass or a dirty plate on our table. We took one trip to the beach buffet at the NH Real next door and couldn't wait to get back to the Royal Beach. We never even received a glass of water over there.
We just happened to be there the week of the grand opening (4 months old) and they had a gala night with many VIP's and press there with limos pulling up to a red carpet. We were able to attend and the food and drinks and fireworks and decor was spectacular. We felt like somebody important.
The best thing about this resort is that you could always find a chair at the beach or by the pool. Of course, if you wanted a particular spot you would have to be an early riser.
We spent a lot of time at the swim up bar and made some great friends, I would go back next year if we get a good deal.
Best vacation in years, loved it.

2 Thank joanneandkenavery
ns
Reviewed April 26, 2010

I have been to over 50 all-inclusives and this resort has provided the friendliest and most consciencious service yet.
I was a little apprehensive about booking a new resort, but, they seemed to have worked out all the kinks..,. already? When we checked in, our room was not suitable ( it had a very strong musty smell) and Darling took very good care of us and moved us to a much better room. After him, we knew we were on our way to a great expereince. ( DARLING IS AMAZING) I would go back just because of how great he was! The NH needs to give him a raise!
After being there, we realized the smells are because the bathhrooms do not have fans in them . This would help to remove the condensation and moisture. It took a while so that you could not put your make-up on or do your hair in the bathroom.

The pool's lazy river offered a great swim ( with or without floaties) throughout the resort..We went to Cosco before and bought somewith us...a great idea!
People were always cleaning and keeping the resort in tip/top shape. Once the foliage matures, it will be even more beautiful!

The beds were sooo comfortable and the pillows were great as well. The rooms were large and clean...simply decorated. We left a note on the first day wanting extra towels, faceclothes, and more water and it showed up every day after.
The mexican resaurant was the best...not really a mexican menu but great food. I had the lamb and it was a good as anywhere else in Canada. Pure was also good, the lobster was not great, overcooked with a very weird and wrong sauce? But overall good!
We did not like the Asian ( At THE REAL) , not great service and the food was not good. Really, the worst I have had down southfor an asian theme.
You can definately tell the difference between the 2 resorts. We went to the Real to try their buffet for breakfast and it was not good.
We were spoiled at THE ROYAL. I loved being served freshly squeezed orange juice and great Dominican coffee every morning. I am on vacation, I don't want to 'serve" myself, I already do this 365 days out of the year!
The only down side to this resort would be the Buffet.
Now, it was still very good and you could always find food, but, it is the smallest
out of all the resorts I have been to and it could have a bit more variety. However, for the Dominican it was good and much better than "next door".
The only issue I feel is a downfall, is at night, you are not allowed to wear shorts and the men especially, have to dress up.
Now, frankly, when I am on vacation, I do not want people to tell me that I have to dress up??
It is my vacation! For the A la cartes I understand it is important but not for the buffett? If we have spent a long, tiring day in the sun and just want to grab a bite, we shouldn't be forced to dress up. This was the first for any vacation and nobody in our party of 6 was happy about this. This is an easy fix!

I went to the gym every day. It was shared between the 2 resorts and was small and busy! They need to have their own. The type of clientele at The Royal are younger, middle-aged and high end people who seem to be in good shape...not many fatties here!
I was getting allergy/ asthma issues when I first went in and realized thet were burning incencse in the gym bathroom??
I blew it out and asked the maid not to relight it all week, and she didn't. But this needs to be removed completely. They need to keep the gym door closed so that the AC will work, it was far too hot and stinky! No MORE INCENCSE and A BIGGER GYM!

The beach was clean, wide and nobody harassed us. Lots of shade or sun, whatever you wanted. Great new chairs and as many towels as you wanted.... no silly towel cards that you needed to rush to return by 5 or you were "stuck" with wet towels. They came and picked them up at the end of the day, or you could keep them.

We did got o the disco 2 nights and it was fun. We were tired at night and we are not that crazy after a long day in the sun.
You could get premium alcohol and it wasn't watered down. You just need to tell them what you want. Luis at the beach bar is a handsome guy, but not very friendly.
He was definatley the least "nicest" out of all the staff. Tip or no tip he wasn't in keeping with The NH theme of friendly customer service...too bad. I just ignored him and got my drink and left. The guys were not impressed?

I tipped all of the time, I brought $125 one dollar bills and used all of them.
Not because I felt it would give me better service, but, because they gave me the best service right away! I reward good service and The NH ROYAL has taught their staff this early on!
The attention to pleasing the customers is their strongest asset. I hope as the resort grows , this keeps up or nothing will separate this from the thousands of other vacation choices. I would return because of this!
No, it is not the Four Seasons or North America, but it is hidden gem in a beautiful Carribean country that goes out of it's way to make sure your vacation is everything you want it to be!
If you are looking for a clean, quiet, new resort where your every whim will be met in a pleasant and timely manner, well, this is your resort.
I am a tough, picky type A woman who isn't afraid to complain nor speak my mind!
Well then, I have spoken.....5 stars to the NH ROYAL...I could simply just relax!

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with friends
2 Thank osito67
Millbrook
Reviewed April 26, 2010

We started our trip Apr 10 at the NH REAL ARENA. The next day, we saw Jerry at the Mirage check in, and he was able to upgrade us to the Royal resort. He escorted us to the Royal check in, showed us the Royal amenities and one of the rooms. When we checked in, our bags were already in our room. We were allowed al a carte reserv. at the 2 rest. in the Royal, and the 4 in the Real. No waiting. This resort was great in so many ways, starting with Jerry. Our room was nice and big, although we did face a resort service road, which was OK. AC was fine, in room safe, and there was laundry service available for a fee. There was always a security guard within eyeshot of our room. The beach was nice and wide, lots of chairs, hammocks, but the palapas, or any sort of shade, were gone early. Room service was efficient and quick although the menu was limited. Breakfast and lunch buffet (both very good) was down near the beach, but at dinner, this buffet becomes 2 al a cartes, Pure was good, the mexican one average. We ate once at the beach buffet at the Real Arena, but it was a freaking zoo there. So we stayed at the Royal for lunch. For dinner, the Italian al a carte was the best for us, the Asian not so good, the annoying cook working for a tip. The evening buffet was at the Real. Overall, the food was the best we have ever had at an all inclusive. They are strict about dress code and times for the al a cartes, and good for them, If you cant be dressed and on time, go to the buffet. The house wine was not too bad at all. The pool was great, servers making sure the cup was not empty. Brand name alcohol on the Royal side, but you needed to ask for a specific brand or you got Brugal. Premium stuff like Grey Goose and Glenfiddich was 7-10$ a shot. Lobby bar was relaxing. with music at night, the shows were at the Real Arena. This resort is only 25 mins from the airport. It was very clean, the staff work hard to keep it that way. I have made a habit of shaking hands with the Dominicans, they like the show of respect. Usual rules for tipping, good service only. Pretty quiet on the Royal side, the shows, disco, kids, etc are on the Real side. Not much of a fitness centre. Lots of security guards on the beach and between the Royal and Real side. They fogged the area for bugs twice while we were there, but the odor didnt last long. Nice resort, worthy of the TA ranking. Would return here in a minute.

3 Thank Argofan