“Can't wait til next trip here!”

Secrets Royal Beach Punta Cana
Ranked #8 of 113 Hotels in Punta Cana
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed April 25, 2010

We arrived Thursday March 25, after leaving St. Louis with warm jackets and snow flurries. What a relief to land in a warm climate, get whisked through Customs, hassle-free and put on a tour bus to our hotel. The resort is CLEAN!!!NEW!! Fresh drinks await you. Staff at the check-in counter especially Darling, were very friendly. There was 14 of us and althought we all couldn't get rooms very near each other the first day, they made sure we all were accomodated the next day. Our rooms were always clean, fresh towels, min-bar with Presidente Beer, bottled water and various soda flavors. Each room had a welcome basket of fresh fruit and your own bottle of Rum. The entertainment at night was not Over-the-top, but really different. The Disco was cool! The Casino was small and not worth throwing money away.
We all had a ball on the Beach, sometimes to the point of "we should have been Cut-Off" LOL! Everyone is issued a wrist bracelt to show that you are staying there, althought you can use the other side of the Resort. There are no children allowed on this side, a bonus for all of us 40-60 year olds. The entire staff would anticipate our needs and amazingly they would appear with fresh drinks. The food was Diverse at the buffet. There are Reservations needed for a few of the retaurants, so I advise you to make Reserv's. as soon as possible. My husband and I are still wearing our wristbands and it has become a joke among the rest of our gang to see who'll lose their's first. We are all going back, same time next year, with more people (jealous) who have seen our pictures on Facebook. The best part of being from Missouri, is the locals LOVE Albert Pujols and the Cardinals, so we got along very well! The only drawback...slick flooring doesn't mix with wet clothing and lots of alcohol! Walk gingerly around the pool area, and on your terrace when getting out of your hut tub/jaccuzi.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank LaWomaninMissouri
Write a ReviewReviews (10,220)

Reviewed April 25, 2010

Upon our arrival we knew this was going to be a special vacation.
Room service was excellent, communications a little distraction, but really great rooms and daily service with special care two and three times per day.
Continuous pool was a daily experience. Multiple restaurants provided variety and quality dinning experiences. Daily buffets were always fresh and seating always available. Friendly experience with staff and service throughout the resort. Connected with the NH Real Arena with a short walk providing access to the total resort. Royal Beach was an adult exclusive and the noise level was very quite. Beach access and activities were more than expected.

3  Thank PQA
Reviewed April 24, 2010

Great food, clean rooms, superub staff. We willbe back next April. Thanks for a wonderful time.

Reviewed April 24, 2010

the "Pina Family" - Vancouver, Canada

We traveled to the NH Royal on April 8-22. There were 4 of us, my husband, myself, my daughter and her husband. (they were on their delayed honeymoon). We were originally supposed to stay at the other side called the NH Real Arena but got upgraded for a very good price and it was well worth it. The Royal side is Adult Only. Not sure just where to start so I guess we'll start at the front entrance. The resort is very chic with it's marbled floors and the splendor extends all the way from the front automated entrance to the far reaches of the beach. We were greeted by Eduardo who got us fixed up with beautiful king deluxe rooms and very tasty drinks.

Rooms: as i said, we had the king deluxe rooms and they were beautiful. The giant walk in double shower was a godsend on hot humid days. Always plenty of hot water. We had a jacuzzi tub on our deck which we never used, but Stephanie and Paul used theirs and loved it. It was very private as we were on the 3rd floor. I noticed that the 1st floor deluxe rooms also had tubs on the deck but not sure if I'd like them without the privacy.
This is the 1st resort I've been to that we had our rooms cleaned in the morning before 11:00 and again in the evening before 9:00pm. This was a total clean each time with fresh towels, floors swept and the beds turned down at night.

Food: The food was very good. Always a good variety to eat. Each evening had a theme night but if you didn't like the theme of the evening, there was always the fresh grill, pasta bar and the American section with the usual fare of french fries, burgers, chicken fingers etc... We tried the Mexican Al A Carte and it was quite good. It was next to the Royal Buffet and shared the same outdoor deck that looked out onto the ocean. The service was superb thanks to our waiter Neudy. He was great. In fact he referred to us as his family and always greeted us with open arms even when we weren't sitting in his section. The only other Al A Carte that we did was the Pure restaurant. This was a chef's tasting menu. I missed that evening but the rest of them went and felt like the 3 stooges in an upscale Vancouver Restaurant. They said it was very posh and the service was great. Even Paul who doesn't like seafood enjoyed his meal. They went out of their way to get him chicken for the one course instead of the tuna.
We found that our favorite place to eat most meals was at the Buffet and we always sat out on the deck. Mostly this was due to the fact that the waiter Miguel was wonderful. We would always try to get a table in his section. He was probably the hardest working waiter in the place. Always happy to see us and quick to find us a table. Hansel was also very good. I finally got smart and left my wine glass full or else it was constantly being filled. The wine by the way was quite good. In the mornings we enjoyed the fresh fruit and omelets. These were especially good when Jose made them. Jose was one of our favorite chef's. always smiling and even shared a picture of his family with us. You also have to check out the Olas Grill on the Arena side. Its the beach grill and is open for lunch from 12-5pm. It has the best bbq chicken and stir fry. The chef over there was Felix and he was quite entertaining. We ordered room service several times and it was very quick to arrive. Food was still hot and the beer was still cold.

Enough about food - on to the Bar. Yes the bars were great. Top shelf liquor. Couldn't find any fault except that no one south of Canada has heard of a Ceasar. The best Bar was the Pool Bar. This was very well run and the staff were excellent. Yovani i think may have been the incharge and was very fun and friendly. The best bartender by far was Basillio. He made a very good Cuba Libre. If you wanted a special drink he would make anything you wanted, just had to tell him what you wanted in it. He would take a few minutes to dance with you or just to make sure you were taken care of. The girls were also great. Ghisell, Margarita, Arielas and Yollany (not sure on the spellings). Always coming down to the beach or around the pool with trays of drinks or fruit kabobs.

Beach - well the only thing that could be improved on is if they moved the resort to the Macao beach. Don't get me wrong, the beach was beautiful. always kept groomed, lots of chairs and palapas. I prefered to lay under the palm trees. The water was like a giant spa. Very warm and clean. The mornings were the best. In the afternoon the wind would pick up and you'd get a bit of the the hard sticks from the seaweed floating in. So usually we would start out at the beach in the morning and move to the pool area in the afternoon. Always lots of chairs at the pool. If there wasn't a chair, the staff would find you one and bring it to you. Never had to worry about losing you're towel card as you didn't need one. every morning the staff would go around and put fresh rolled towels on all the poolside chairs. If there were not towels you could just go over to the towel bar or the dive shop and they would give you fresh towels. Fellow at the dive shop was always very helpful. The guards were great at keeping the vendors at bay. We would walk the beach at night and felt very safe with the guards on duty.

Pools - there is one big pool which is actually the one with the pool bar. This was quite the gathering place but never got crowded. Every morning the pool boys were hard at work cleaning the pools top to bottom. There is also a lazy canal that winds all the way around the center of the resort. There are rooms that actually front onto this canal and these would have been really nice. We brought our floaties with us and enjoyed floating around the canal. The only thing to watch is the 1st step in the main pool by the bar. It's very slippery and we saw quite a few people go down. Please use the hand rails as that's why they are there.

The other services that we enjoyed were some of the shows which were always over at the Arena side. Our daughter Stephanie enjoyed a 80 minute massage and Paul really liked the gym. It was a full service spa and gym. Paul found that the personal trainer Willy was very informative and very good. He got Paul onto a good program while he was there. They also enjoyed a couple of evenings at the disco but we were happy to just relax at our plaza and listen to the small live band that played a variety of music each night. Every day there was a different activity at the Pool Bar. Stephanie found this quite entertaining or should I say she entertained them. She just wishes she can remember how she made her woven bowl. (remember I mentioned Cuba Libre's earlier)
We were very fortunate to be present the one evening when they had their big opening night gala (this resort is only about 4 months old). They had a huge bar set up in the center of the plaza with food stations all around. They had a stage set up with local entertainment which was their version of a Vegas show complete with the dancers and fire spinners. It was actually quite good. The food was very good - lots to choose from and the liquor was flowing nicely. They rounded it off with a spectacular display of fireworks.

I can't say enough about the service at this resort. The concierge at the pool / beach, Carlos, was probably the best in the business. He always made sure we were taken care of. He went out of his way to ask how things were. We had friends that stayed at a resort down the beach and came by for visit and Carlos chatted with them as he used to work at the other resort. He was very helpful whenever we had any questions. I must also mention a few others that were very helpful, Zamora, Daniel the bell hop at the front, and the wonderful flambe man at the buffet (never caught his name).

In a nutshell, this was a very nice, very well run resort. Right from the management all the way down to the young men who gathered the seaweed on the beach.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled with family
4  Thank pina_family
Reviewed April 23, 2010

I feel every trip deserves a little back story--this one stemmed from the fact that my wife and I rarely see each other due to conflicting schedules, and we made it desperately clear to each other that we needed a vacation--without our son. So the hunt for Red October began. We wanted somewhere affordable that was all inclusive, out of the States, and Adults only. And boy did we find out place. After firmly deciding that the NH Royal was our new home (and getting a deal on orbitz that beat everyone else out by $600), we spent the next 30 days reading every single review on trip advisor. And so many nailed it, and so many missed it so hard they MUST have strained a muscle.

Facts I Like:
-It's blatantly an "add on" resort. The NH Real Arena is the real resort; with all the shops, more restaurants, casino, and a night club. This left the Royal, right next door, to be quiet, soothing, and not quite so 'filled' so it could be a real vacation for a couple in need.
-Everyone was happy, smiling, and willing to work with you. My wife and I know the basics of spanish, and it came in handy at times--but when you were having a battle with them to get across you needed something (like ash tray), once it was figured out...they taught you how to say it in spanish. Brilliant!
-We weren't harassed on the beach at all, not once. We know we could have gotten a better down down the beach for parasailing and speed boating, but honestly, it was work the extra money not to haggle and trek a mile down the beach. We might be fools like that, but who cares...it was my vacation.
-Our room was on the first level facing the service road. So many complaints about this on the site, but really? It's not what they make it out to be. The service road is just a glorified brick patio that the staff uses from time to time; in addition to that it's insanely private which allows us to enjoy certain things that may be more innappropriate on the first level facing the resort.
-The Buffet. Sure, the food isn't the best (according to my wife; I'll be honest when i say have no sense of taste, I go by texture) but my wife agreed; it was absolutely a better experience than we were led on to believe. And the variety! THE VARIETY! It was an upscale joint.
-We had no problem waking up around 9am, geting out to the beach or pool and grabbing a chair. We didn't look for the ones with the grass umbrellas. but honestyl? I didn't pay good money to be away from the beach experience. So I can't speak for those--but we got great seats every day.
-I wouldn't even mention this if someone, who obviously has life so great that they don't really need a vacation, hadn't moaned about it in an earlier review; the water pressure in the shower was great, and quite tantalizing.

Facts That I'm Meh About
-The resteraunts. We only went to one, Pure, and it wasn't all that satisfying. The service was ok (slow), and the food itself wasn't really worth waiting for. Maybe if we weren't spoiled by the buffet...
-The casino at the Arena was lackluster and didn't have an ATM (nor did the resort). I'd probably think more highly of it if that darned tiny ball landed on Black more often.
-The service at the Pool side of the bar was lackluster depending on the amount of traffic; although on our last day the staff did a mind blowing job of making sure I never ran out whiskey. (On the other hand; if I hopped out of the pull and went to the dry bar, no less than 2 feet away, service was always great).
-Firm believe the jacuzzi needs a larger faucet to fill the tub up with. Takes a little longer than the mood allows.

Overall:
-I can't say for certain we're going back next year, because we'll want to always try new resorts; but given the choice we'd always go back in a heart beat. It was clean, friendly, beautiful, and an overall amazing experience for our 2nd Anniversary. We found ourselves debating the virtue of having our son Fed Ex'd there to come live with us.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled as a couple
8  Thank uteralmishap
Reviewed April 23, 2010

My future wife and I found everything from check in to check out amazing. Just a few tips that help:

First bring your ipod and ipod docking station, don’t rely on the room’s radio.
Second, get a room on the second floor, there isn’t enough privacy for couples on the balcony Jacuzzi. The security officers would constantly be circling our first floor room, not cool when me and my girl wanted to make love.
Third, wake up early to reserve the better poolside chairs.
And lastly, if you’re a socialite, all the employees love to talk, tell stories and jokes.

I’m already planning my next vacation to this very hotel for New Years!!!!!! In summary, My week stay at NH Royal Beach was a comfortable, romantic vacation.

2  Thank romantics0703
Reviewed April 23, 2010

I'm not a fan of all-inclusive places as they aren't generally on the same caliber as hotels or resorts that are not all-inclusive, but this place was pretty decent, with one big exception...the air conditioning in the room...it never got cool. I've stayed in hundreds, if not thousands of hotel rooms, as I am an airline crew member, so I have a good basis for comparison, but the a/c in this hotel was the worst of any I've encountered. My room was so hot and so humid, the floor in my room was actually wet and my footprints were clearly visible on the floor. Several of my coworkers said the a/c in their rooms didn't get cool either, so it wasn't just my room. If you are like me and value a cool room, particularly when you're trying to sleep, this is NOT the place for you. Otherwise, I will say the room was pretty nice. It was large, very clean, the tv got numerous channels, and the bathroom was huge with a fantastic shower. The grounds looked nice and well-kept, and the pool/lazy river was impressive. The buffet for lunch was very average though.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled on business