“Very Nice Adults Only All-inclusive” 4 of 5 bubbles

Secrets Royal Beach Punta Cana
Ranked #6 of 110 Hotels in Punta Cana
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
St. Louis, MO
“Very Nice Adults Only All-inclusive”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 2, 2010

The NH Royal Beach is certainly a very nice place, and as most reviews have commented, they need to tweak a few things to make it a 6 red or golden apple resort. Currently I would give it a solid 5 red apples. Being only open for business a little while, it has some improvements that would help it bump up in status. We stayed from 3/25-4/1, and the weather was something to behold, lucky as it may be, it was 88-90 and sunny every day, no rain the entire time. Here are some Pros and Cons, as me and my wife saw it:

Pros:
- The beach, and the beach huts. The beach is really nice in Punta Cana, and it blows away the beach in Cancun.
- The pool. The pool was very nice, and the lazy river pool was a nice break from the main pool with the swim up bar.
- The rooms. They are nice, new, and very clean. Shower was awesome, and the A/C worked great.
- The booze. The resort had good premium booze available. Grand Marnier, Absolut, Jack Daniels, Bacardi, all were available. They did NOT have super premium booze however, that was an additional cost. Bring your travel mugs, they will fill them up no problem, much better than the dixie cups they give you.
- Adults only. The complex was fairly calm and peaceful, except for the swim-up bar rowdiness, which is to be expected. There were guards at the Royal Beach, making sure no one from the Real came over to the adults side, which was nice.
- Shared facilities. It was nice to be able to wander over to the Real side, and eat, shop, etc.

Cons:
- My wife said to make sure the females know about the poor lighting in the bathroom for putting on makeup. I wouldnt know about this, so.... point made.
- The ala carte restaurants are hit or miss. We found that a few of the restaurants were more concerned with presentation vs. the actual taste of the food. I am not the pickiest of eaters, but, the food was less than desirable at a few of the ala carte restaurants. Buffets were average.
- Get up early. Ok, the biggest thing you must remember if you want to get good lounge chairs, is set the alarm for 6:00, and head out to find your spot for the day. That is the only way to get the spot you want. If you wait until 8:00 - 8:30, you will be stuck with nothing, or the last 2 loungers available. They obviously need to purchase more of these, because they did not have enough for when the resort is full. Just get up, hang out for the sunrise, and then go back to your room and sleep for a couple hours, or go to breakfast, etc.
- European culture. I am totally fine with all cultures and languages visiting Punta Cana. Be prepared for topless females, some that should/can go naked, and some that obviously should NOT be naked, but thats what you get in Punta Cana. Also, be prepared for males to wear tight, clingy, tiny speedo type swimming trunks. Lots of junk hanging out, if you know what I mean. Again, not what I would choose to wear, but, hey, whatever blows your dress up.
- Entertainment staff. There was really no true entertainment staff on the Royal side. There were a few that would help get volleyball going, or do yoga on the beach in the a.m., however, there was a lack of consistent staff to help get the activities going. Again, if you came to the resort to relax, and thats not your thing, no big deal. I like to do some activities now and then, to keep active, and, for the most part, that did not exist at the Royal Beach.
- Beach seaweed. There is a lot of seaweed that washes up on the beach directly on this resort. The seaweed patrol were constantly having to rake it up, bag it and wheelbarrow it off the site, but, it was back within hours. I am not sure as to why this was an ongoing issue right there, however, there was a lot, and I mean a lot of boat activity (para-sail boats, speed boats, party boats, booze cruise boats, etc.) directly on the water front there, and someone theorized that this is what causes all the seaweed to wash up.. not sure, but it made sense to me. If you walk north on the beach, 45-60 minutes, the beaches were without the seaweed.

All in all, a great time, and you will not be disappointed with this resort. If you are truly seeking a great beach, then, this is an awesome place. I would definitely recommend this resort to someone, but, am not sure I would go back, other than the fact that it was adults only, and it is still fairly new, so it has potential to be a 5 or 6 golden apple resort with some work.

1 Thank steve d

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,361)
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
phinee
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 31, 2010

The hotel was amazing. I remember when I first stepped into the place, I knew that I wasn’t going to be disappointed. The facilities were amazing and the beach is full of fine sand, which some may dislike as it sticks all over and never comes off. They have various activities planned out for the day or you can just lie all day on the beach like I did for several days. The ocean is nice and warm, except for the seaweed, which the hotel daily cleans off the sand. However, I did see some weird black stains in the water which I assume are due to all the speedboats around offering parasailing, scuba diving, etc. If you can’t stand the beach, they have a wonderful pool in which it mimics a lazy river but without the jetstream that pushes you through. You have to rely on your arm paddling and wall pushing skills. I highly recommend that you bring your own floatation devices to go around the pool, as the resort store is expensive. I thought I would save money and not check in my bag and so I didn’t bring sunscreen. It cost me $23 for a bottle at the store. However, if you are in need they have various items and if you can wait, you can always take the shuttle to the shopping village to purchase pharmacy goods and a slightly lower price, but no where close to your home drug store. BUT YOU NEED SUNSCREEN, an unfortunate couple was sent to the hospital b/c they thought they can do without it.

The food is okay. If you’re interested in the specialty restaurants, I highly recommend making the reservations on your day of arrival and flip through the restaurants you may be interested now. The menus at these restaurants are limited and they do not cater much to vegetarians or your special dietary needs. Basically, there are not really options on the menu. It’s about $33 to get to the hotel by taxi not including tip. The hotel is rather safe, except for your floatation devices which are in high demand – I heard a couple got theirs stolen. I had a highly enjoyable experience otherwise. I sought R&R and I received.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with friends
1 Thank phinee
pittsburgh
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 31, 2010

Just returned from NH Royal Beach Resort and I was not disappointed. The weather and beach were great. The staff were great- The view from the buffet restaurants was terrific. Loved the Mexican and Pure Restaurants. Only problem was getting a paloppa on the beach. Too many guests would go down at midnight and reserve one with a towel and then not show up until noon the next day. The hotel really needs to address this issue . We were told by our Apple rep that towels would be removed if not occupied within a two hour period. That would be great if it works. Regardless, I loved this hotel and would go back tomorrow.

Indianapolis, Indiana
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 30, 2010

This resort is very clean, the staff is continually making sure the grounds are clean and safe.
The rooms appear to be nice however there is a definite musty mildew odor. This is due to not continually running the air conditioning and not allowing it to be cool enough to keep mildew/mold from growing. The heavy vinyl curtain in our room was completely covered in mold and our air conditioning control would only go so low and it wasn't enough to allow the room to ever cool completely. Once we were able to communicate to the staff what needed to be done they did come and change the curtain and reset the thermostat for us to lower the temperature, but then everytime housekeeping came in the room they pulled the key card which would then in turn shut off the air conditioning.
The mattresses are extremely hard so between the room being stinky, too warm and sleeping on a hard bed it was very difficult to get a good nights rest. The shower takes some getting used to, but its o.k. just a little weird at first. It is completely clear glass and has no door.

Our second night there my husband got extremely sick from something he ate. It came on very sudden and he spent one night and the entire next day sick in the room. So sick if it had continued I would have had to get him medical attention, so he didn't dehydrate. Again I had a difficult time trying to tell the man who stocked the mini fridge that I needed additional water. I feel only a very small portion of the staff were very fluent in English; however once you got them to understand you they were very eager to help. I thought I knew enough Spanish to get by, that is until something out of the ordinary came up. Again not really their fault just very frustrating.

I didn't care for having to make reservations to eat at the restaurants. First off this resort only has two, but you can make reservations at the sister resort next door, but make them as soon as you get there because they only take so many reservations from this resort per day. We ate at the buffets alot because we couldn't get reservations many nights. I really wasn't happy about this initially, but sometimes the food at the buffet was better than some of the restaurants.

As far as the nightly shows went some were just o.k. and some were really pretty entertaining, but to me it is very hard to perfect anything if the same people are in the shows and are the same ones waiting on you at breakfast or instructing yoga on the beach or even your activities director. Yes, you will see these poor people wearing several hats throughout the resort. They work very long days and many consectutive days and never complain. They were really what made this trip as good as it was, but I do feel for them. Some of the girls at the building where you get towels from were even asking my husband to teach them several words in english, they were so sweet and all of them really want you to enjoy your stay.

The weather I know is uncontrollable, but when you come from a cold weather state in February to mid 80's and sunshine (most days), it is pretty hard not to love it here. The beach and the water were just wonderful as well, the water is beautiful.

We got an extremely great price on this resort and I would most assured go back again for the same price, but it is not a 5-star luxury resort and I wouldn't go back if I had to pay as if it were. This is a nice new resort and I believe there are some things they are still working on however with the sister resort next door it shouldn't take long.

I strongly reccommend taking advantage of as many of the daily activities as you can, it is a nice way to break up the day and do something you don't do everyday. All in all we enjoyed our trip, but have stayed at some luxury resorts and this is not one of them. So that being said if you understand what your getting it is a great place to go to escape winter weather and kick back and relax.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank mbthornburg
New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 30, 2010

Please read all of the positive feedback from the other reviews... it is all true. The only bad thing about this hotel... .... by 7 AM all of the beach chairs at the pool AND at the beach are already reserved with towels. To me, this means that there are not enough chairs nor palapas for all of the guests. Many chairs that were reserved.... were not even sat on during the day! Management needs to do something about this. GET MORE CHAIRS! Also, the gym is terrible.... so if you are a gym rat.... you will be disappointed.

I went on the Dr Fish Spa Boat and it was great... I recommend it to all.

A special shout out to Darling.... thank you for changing our room! It made a world of difference.

If Pam from Phili sees this.... I lost my phone with her number..... please find me through itsthelatest.com

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with friends
1 Thank itsthelatest
westport, connecticut
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 30, 2010

Great staff and beautiful beach. Bavaro Beach is where most of the hotels are located. It s one of the most beautiful beaches I have seen and I've seen a few. The staff couldn't be more friendly and helpful. This resort has only been open for a few months, so it needs to work out a few kinks in order to jump up a notch to the luxury property it would like to be.
Only real complaint was the competition for beach chairs ...not enough chairs with people skulking around at 3AM to stake their claim. You do not encounter that at really high end beach resorts. Way too stressful when you come to a resort for the BEACH!!! I broke down and paid to rent an "oasis" which has both a sunbed up top and shaded bed below. But you shouldn't have to do that unless you have a larger crowd and want the butler service that goes along with renting the oasis.
Other minor glitch was the availability of restaurant reservations. You can eat at both NH Royal Beach and NH Arena the next door, sister property. When we checked in, most of the reservations were already booked for the week, except 6 and 10 PM. I suggest that the hotel only allow advance reservation a day or two ahead so people who check in do not monopolize all the weekly slots.
Staff was the most friendly and outgoing - especially Darling the front desk manager and Antonio, a beach butler. But they all served with a smile and made the stay most pleasant.
I would definitely consider going back if they fix the beach chair situation - people like to sleep in on vacation!!

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank pattycake53
Missouri
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 30, 2010

this resort has only been open a few months. They are trying very hard to make things awesome. they are very close. They need have more lounge chairs and shade at the beach and near the pool bar. We had to get up at 5 am to get chairs on the beach or at the pool. Something needs to be done to eliminate this. The service at the pool bar in the afternoon also needs some inprovement. Even when it was not very crowded, it took a while to get a drink because the bartenders were very slow at making drinks. Housekeeping also had some inconsistancies.
Now for the good stuff. the place was beautiful and relaxing. there is a lazy river that is awesome. (Bring your own raft or floatation device). the food was very good, except for the BBQ resturant. All the grilled stuff was overdone and tasted like charcoal. 24 hour room service was a definate plus at this resort. All the other speciality resturants were excellent. the beach is beautiful. there are a few activities scheduled throughout the day. Stretching class, beach volleyball and later on in the day an activity of the day. Plenty of time for taking walks, resting and floatin in the lazy river or ocean. Everything is kept very clean. We had an great time and would definately return to this resort.

1 Thank koenigb