“Excellent resort, but not without problems.”

Secrets Royal Beach Punta Cana
Ranked #6 of 112 Hotels in Punta Cana
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Sterling Height, MI
“Excellent resort, but not without problems.”
Reviewed March 28, 2010

Vacationed at the NH Royal Beach Resort, Punta Cana, D.R. a week beginning March 18th.
THE GOOD: It is a new resort. Room was very comfortable. The grounds are very clean. Housekeeping staff did an excellent job. All the employees were friendly. Food and drinks were good. Outstanding beach and pool.
THE BAD: We have been to about 60 all-inclusive resorts and this is the first one where men had to wear long pants when eating at the evening buffet. Women can wear anything short of a bathing suit.
There weren't enough lounge chairs on the beach or around the pool to accommodate the number of guests. After the first morning I was going to the beach at 5:00 am to assure a spot under a papala. By 7:00 am all the spots where taken. Guests were taking chairs from the beach bar to sit on. Many people sat on towels. I believe many visitors went out late a night and put their towels on the chairs. It was the same at poolside. The resort says it has a “no reserving” policy. If they have, they don’t enforce it.
We don’t know where all the people went to in the evening, the restaurants were never crowded. We ate at the Italian, Mexican and Steak House restaurants. Food was good, but nothing to write home about.
Internet service is available. $4.00 for 15 minutes, $7.00 for 30 minutes and $12.00 for a hour. WiFi is $25.00 for 24 hours or $60.00 for 7 days.
This is an adult’s only resort and I’m guessing that the average age was around 60 years old.
If you have any questions, I recommend you contact us at 40franks@att.net. I don’t check my Trip Advisor mail daily.

1 Thank Floyd F

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,559)
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
New Jersey
Reviewed March 28, 2010

March 16-23. This was our seventh stay in DR, our fourth in Punta Cana, and first in NH Royal. After reading all of the reviews, we expected a perfect week (except for predicted showers). Upon arrival, we were told that our room was not ready at 2:40, but should be in about an hour (3:00 is lthr isted check-in). They did give us a room number so we could reserve restaurants, but most nights we could only book at 7:00 or 9:30 or later. We came back an hour later and were taken to our room--but the room was occupied, so they gave us the one next door. Why were we waiting an hour for a room that wasn't available? That was our first clue that the hotel administration here is suspect. The safe didn't work and the patio door jammed, but these were minor problems. We were in a pool/ocean facing room on the 3rd floor of building five (5355). The room was spacious, clean, and very nice. The view was outstanding. The location was great, in the second unit (of 5) from the beach, so closer to beach, pool and restaurants and farther from lobby. We liked the 3rd floor for the view and privacy, but I have a bad knee so didn't appreciate that at least one of the 2 building elevators was broken every day we we there. There were 4 ice machines, all on the first floor, and frequently 3 were empty. We also found that the air conditioning had a high minimum temperaure--after a hot day in the sun, we'd like it a bit cooler at night. Notably lacking from the room was any information about the resort. We did get an envelope from check-in that provided a very basic map, restaurant hours, and some phone numbers, but that was it. Nothing about location of medical service, towels, activities, computer access, etc., and no info about how to book the kayaks and other watersports.
The meandering pool was really quite lovely and it was fun to walk or swim aound it. The beach was deep, wide, and very nice. Again--the physical aspects of the entire resort were very good and should have formed the base for a great vacation--if only they managed it better!
The palapas were insufficient in number and you really did have to be out scurrying at 6 AM or before to get one. Many were "reserved" with a magazine, towel, book or whatever, and some people got down VERY early and blocked out several palapas for their friends. The towel service was confused--you have to sign out for towels, but the beach staff collects them--so why the signout?
The Royal Buffet was, as others have noted, very good. But it is a small buffet and is the only place to eat breakfast and lunch. (Actually you can go next door to the Arena snack bar for lunch, but it is VERY crowded and has even more limited choices). So when you cannot get--or do not want--specialty restaurant reservations, you are eating 3 meals a day in the same small buffet--and it does get repetitive. At most other resorts, we may eat breakfast in the main buffet, but never lunch, and sometimes dinner. Here, although the grill was excellent--omelettes in the morning and an assortment of fish (salmon, mero, calamari) and meat (chicken, pork, beef) at lunch and dinner--even great salmon can get boring.
The buffet has a theme every night, which is also managed strangely. There is no posting of each night's theme, so you cannot make an advance choice between a great theme night and a restaurant. We've never been to a resort that did not post and advertise their themes. For your info, we found: Sat-Dominican; Sun-Italian; Mon- Spanish; Tue-Asian (with sushi); Wed-Gala (with grilled lobster tails--great!); Thurs.-American; Fri.-French. But this is the other strange thing about the themes: with the exception of the sushi and lobster, one could not tell one theme night from another--same grilled items, same pasta bar, same salads and desserts--just sort of a half-hearted attempt to create something different.
I mentioned that we reserved some restaurants before our room was changed--this caused them lots of problems. We ended up with "tickets" with the wrong room and name, because they could not manage their system. We ate in only 3 restaurants, Mexican, Italian and French. The Mexican is more of a grill, with several choices of grilled meat or fish--the only touch of Mexican we found were some nachos and salsa--that's it. The Italian offered a choice of seafood or steak, both with a heavy pasta. The French also offered a choice of seafood or steak, and had the most hurry-up service I've ever seen--like it was their goal to get us out in 40 minutes. As in some other resorts, it is puzzling why you cannot get a reservation until 10:00, but about one-third of the restaurant is always empty. Our favorite Mexican resort has done away with prior reservations--it is first come, first served with beepers--a much better system, we think. One couple we met said they avoided the time constraints by ordering room service every night--but neither we, nor Guest Services, could find a room service menu.

In all, we thoroughly enjoyed the room, the physical layout, the pools, the beach, the ocean, and most of the food. It is a shame that administrative lacks and missteps detracted (and distracted) from all of that. By the way, the showers never came--perfect weather! Would we go back? Not in a hurry, but we'll track the reviews to see if management picks up.

P.S.; Hint to NH Royal management: The single cheapest, fastest, and most effective improvement you can offer is a better information packet about the resort, services, restaurant themes, etc.--that would prevent many of the frustrations we felt, and enable people to focus more on the beauty of the resort.

3 Thank DJNewJersey
Craiova
Reviewed March 26, 2010

Everything is almost perfect ... BUT the staff was simply 2* hotels. They really have no idea what they're doing. I don't blame them, they're not specialized personnel, but the management must exist there and organize trainings to specialize them in their field of activities.. A few examples :
- we've booked a moonlight massage for 2 and had to wait 30 minutes for it !!! But we took the money back without any problems.
- we've made reservation for the mexican restaurant one evening. 1st of all it's quite an adventure to make a reservation in english language and the personnel isn't trained to use the reservations software. The food in restaurant is terrible, don't try it. The services are even worse than the food; the 'manager' could not even speak english or german or french so it was not possible to explain to her what the problem was when the lime in the plate was brought already squeezed and the food was cold and we were served 2 times the apetizers and ...
- the buffet services were also terrible and completely disorganized; there's no system behind ... we had to wait 30 minutes for one beer/water ordered 2-3 times ... and this every day, not accidentaly
As a guest of NH Hotels in Germany we booked this hotel believing that the high europen standards will be the same also over the ocean. But in 7 days we were there we were really missing it.
But enough with the bad things ... the result was not negative because everything else was perfect, really a resort to relax and enjoy the perfect sand and sea. The room was very big and clean, perfectly comfortable and the jacuzzi on the balcony added an extra flavour. For intimacy reasons we've enjoyed very much our 3rd floor room with partial ocean view. The food in bufet was also great, we've enjoyed it the morning, at noon and for dinner. Perfect pool, bar and beach services. Everything sportless clean.
We're hoping to go back but only if in the meantime we find out that the personnel was trained to offer services according to the 5* requirements.

1 Thank GuestsCraiova
Midwest
Reviewed March 26, 2010

Stayed for four days and after reading many reviews, it was pretty much what I expected. I have to agree that the rooms and bathrooms are very, very nice. I did find Darling at the front desk because I needed help changing my room. If you get a room in building five with an even number at the end - you have a bad, no view, room. He changed me to building four, third floor with a nice view of the pool and ocean. Thanks to him for helping me out! Overall, the staff from the waiters to the cleaning crew were very friendly and helpful. Our room was cleaned promptly every day and when we would come in the bed was turned down. The pool area was beautiful and the beach and pool bars were a lot of fun. The water is unbelievably beautiful and the sand is a beautiful soft white.

Now for the problems - we could not get a dinner reservation except one place at 9:30 p.m. in one of the specialty restaurants. We went to the desk as soon as we arrived so that didn't help. Thankfully, Apple Vacations had made a reservation for everyone with Apple for one night so we at least had one meal out of the buffet. The Mexican Restaurant is very good although it isn't Mexican food. We did not enjoy the food at the buffet for the most part. Repitition in food, lack of different fresh fruit that was good that I have always found at other resorts, bacon not cooked, lots of strange food, etc. I was anxious to get home to eat something good! Next problem - getting a beach chair or hut to sit under. You had to get up at 5 a.m. in the dark to go to the beach to put your towels down or you would not get a lounger. There were many unhappy people with that.

The weather was absolutely perfect and the resort so pretty. I would not go back to the same place if I return to the Dominican Republic. Talked to a lot of people from different resorts and things seemed to be better there such as food and loungers. I really liked that NH was small and friendly. Much better than big, crowded resorts. Also like the adults only feature for sure. The Arena property next door was not near as nice and was crowded. I would recommend NH because you might have a completely different taste in food.

1 Thank midwesttraveler15
chicago
Reviewed March 25, 2010

My wife and are are a real open-minded, happy, and concious people. We booked our Honeymoon, I'm 35 and she is 25, with the All-Inclusive NH Royal Arena/Beach package and I upgraded to the room with an Ocean view and got the bus ride to and from the airport package. This was our her first time to the Carribean, and I had gone once in my College years, so we were fresh to the idea of a Carribean Vacation of 5 Nights.

We booked through CheapCaribean, which this was one of their most exclusive and expensive trips going for 750.- and that was just the price to drag you in. Once we had added the additional airfare to get there and the room and the bus(btw I recommend u just take a taxi, it will save you 25 bucks) and the taxes and the 1 check in luggage piece and even the entrance fee into the country, I had spent a cool 2250.-. Not too bad, even if it was not nearly close to the 1500.- that 2 tickets as advertized would have been.

Once arrived at the airport we had a rush treatment out the door and to our bus by people who just grab your bags and few questions and head in A general direction. But, without a hitch we were on the bus and on the short 25 minute trip to the beautiful NH Royal Beach/Arena. And no doubt, architecturally and layout, and pool set up, this place is gorgeous...but it has a serious lacking of any color to its grounds. There were a mere handful of flowering anything on the grounds. Seemed like such a missed opportunity.

I had heard many mixed review about the front desk experience, but as soon as I began speaking to a gentleman behind the counter and told him it was out honeymoon he did two things. One which was a friendly gesture, the other was a swindling gesture but made to look like even more had been done for us. First, they gave us a basket of fruit, some good, some bad, and a little bottle of nice rum. Secondly he took our room and supposedly changed it to an upgraded room, but before he took a big black permanent marker to the previously written room, I saw it, and he just erased the same room number to make it seem like he went out of his way. The reason for this was about the tip. And did we ever learn our lesson about the type of tipping that must go on at an All-Inclusive resort such as this. If I didnt start out the day with 20 dollars in singles in my pocket, then I was destined to get shunned, bad treatment, and wished ill-will by every staff member in the joint.

The room was glorious, 2 marble bathrooms, a jacuzzi inside and out, our porch faced out to our own private pool with private swim up bar. A king size bed that was big enough for everyone if we had brought the dogs and the cat along. Clean closest and plenty of space. A semi-warm mini-fridge that has no adjustment on it, and when they say a stocked mini-fridge in the ad, dont expect anything more than water coke sprite and some beer.

From the start with, the misquitos in the room were like battling komikazi pilots in the pacific, cause these things were constant and brutal and bold enough to be looking for their own death. I happen to be one of those 10%er's that attract mosquitos, so I must have gotten over 60 misquito bites, and that's ontop of the 80 we killed in the room with towels and our hands. The hotels response was a bottle of misquito spray and we had brought OFF with us, where I had to literally spray the sheets and myself before going to bed, and if I never have to smell and taste OFF again it will be too soon!

The Beach is incredible! The Sun is of a potency that I must warn all would be travellors to over do the protection rather than under-do. We got a little thrashing from the Sun out there, but I saw people who must have ruined there whole vacation on the first couple days of getting Sun. The beaches are long and as relaxing as you imagine when you see one of those postcards of white soft sanded beaches with turquise waters. Its all that and more.
But a fair warning to anyone who wants to get one of those cute hut-like umbrellas that they have on the beach. If you do not literally wake up at 7 am and go throw a towel or a book on one of the beach chairs under them, you will not see one available till 5 pm. I thought it to be so rude by all the guests to go and save a spot that they themselves might use for and hour and a half of the day for the whole day form everyone. Maybe the vacationers there and the staff there all share in the 'Me first" attitude in the place. My wife and I are not the type to complain and raise a big stink to try to get first in line, we are adaptible and really did enjoy so much of the nature and architecture of it all.

One thing to also note, the only thing that gets rather annoying on the walks you'll enjoy on the beach are the persistence of people trying to sell you everything from parasailing adventures to some other trip, and the locals trying to get you into their local just-off-the-beach markets; were even a well-seasoned used car sales man might loss his shirt in the swindling for anything they have to offer. Needless to say, we visited it once, and from then on, were very firm in our "No Money" to any local pushing us to go.

As for the food. I could go on and on forever and endlessly about how someone could take what should be nice fresh food and turn it into something that even my dog would snub, is beyond me...all I will say, is that it SUCKED! Nothing saved itself! Nothing! My Wife and I are trim and fit and lost 6 pounds on a vacation that we planned on enjoying the food. We tried to get into some fo the restaurants, but nothing was ever made available for the only two places we heard were of any value. As for the drinks, everything was poured out to a minimum and thats even after you are givng the same bartender dollar after dollar after dollar on your attempt to get a nice buzz pool side.

We spent most of our time lounging aroud on the resort and kept to ourselves and disturbed the staff as little as possible, but I must say that there was a certain sense in the air about the Dominican people's, or at least the staff and ones working on the off-site adventures. A certain sense of greed and a sense of entitlement to it, no matter how bad the quality of service, it was if you were "just another vacationing American, push them through the grinder for all the money they came here with, and send them home for the others to arrive."

The one thing that we didnt look into before we left was the pretty heafty expense for doing any other activity outside the limitations of what the hotel offers. Your inside hotel tour guide can show you all these wonderful adventures from an ATV ride to a Bus Saffari Tour, and even a Dolphin Interactive Tour. But the fact is, that none of these things come cheap. You would think that in the Dominican Republic such things might be a little less expensive than say Disney World, but you would be wrong. A trip for two to the Dolphin Exploratorium would have been 250.- not including the tips and the camera footage cd they will sell for another 40.-. So though you spent a bit of money to get to this wondeful Carribean spot, its gonna really take a bite out of your wallet to go the extra mile. We did the Speed Boat Snorkling adventure and thought it to be ok. The reef was nothing spectacular and the fish were nothing tropical. We did the para-sailing and I thought it to be a great ride, we even saw a Grean Sea Turtle in the crystal clear waters beneath us, breath-taking!

In the end, we were actually glad to come home. Within hours we were in the company of our pets and in the presence of 'more than edible food'...

So as I said, if you are looking for beautiful postercard beaches, its one of the great places to go...but if your looking to be wow'ed by the people, food, service, and sea alike, then I would highly recommend you look elsewhere.

Maine
Reviewed March 25, 2010

I thought about writing a review for days before I decided to do it. The problem is, there is really not much wrong with this place, there just wasnt much right with it either.
Check in was fine. Everyone from check-in to check out could NOT be any nicer. Customer service and friendliness of staff were 2nd to none.
Rooms: Were CLEAN, modern, good sized. COMFY beds. Large bathroom and shower area. We did not have any problems with maid service or mini fridge stock. Never had to call for a thing. Spic N Span CLEAN. The rooms are nice. They lacked that "Caribbean charm" I have become accustom to but this is a personal issue not one of the hotel.
Beach: If you are going for a beach vaction, you have picked a great location. The beach is like Heaven. Wide, soft sand, crystal blue water and CLEAN. The problem with the beach is the same as EVERY other hotel I have ever stayed at....get up really really early to get a chair or you are out of luck. My husband was out of bed and out the door by 6a.m. one morning and we still ended up with very slim pickins. The hotel really needs to add more chairs and umbrellas!!
Pool: Nice "river" pool thru the complex. However, ther are not alot of places to lay out and sun yourself and certainly not enough chairs. Again, the hotel could do much better with the chair supply. I actually enjoyed the pool complex at the NH arena next door much better. Large complex with lots of chairs.
I requested a 2nd or 3rd floor room per advise from TA. After being there, I would definatly preferred a 1st floor pool room.
Bars: OK. They did serve some Premium stuff if you requested it and the bartenders and waitstaff could not have been nicer.
I did hear that if you ordered Grey Goose or Hypnotic that there was a charge. Also if you ordered champagne or wine with room service they charged.
Presidente Beer is the only one you will find my friends but I thoguht it was good.
Food: This is where NH Royal LOST both me and my hubby. It was just not good. Always lukewarm to cold. Dressed in sauces or gravy. It was just not good and for this reason, I would probably NOT go back to the NH Royal Beach. We ended up buying chips and cookies at the gift shop which we munched on during the day and had cake and bread for supper.
We tried the Asian place one night and I ended up spending the next day and a half in my room unable to stray far from the restroom. NEVER has this happened to me before. I lost valuable vacation time. BUMMER....and still feeling the effetcs.
Service in the buffet and bars were top notch. For this reason it is hard for me to give a negative review about the food because I know how hard these people work to get it out to you.
I have never seen people work so hard or were so friendly as the folks at the NH Royal Beach. EVERYONE tried hard to make you feel comfortable. I heard that these folks work for 4 weeks in a row, 12 hr shifts and get paid $12 a DAY!! Yes folks, they got all the tips I could give them. They earned it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
We did do the casinos a couple of nights and it was fun. Just watch the dealers. They are very quick clearing both the cards and bets. More than once I had to remind the dealer that I pushed ad needed my bet returned. BEWARE.
Would I go back???? Probably not. Even for an easy going person like me, the food was more than I could handle.
Bring breakfast bars and snacks from home!!
Internet Service is a joke!!! These people are crooks. You will see what I mean should you have to use the service. Pay for 15minuts and maybe get half of that.

2 Thank ElaineandBill
Santo Domingo
Reviewed March 25, 2010

Best stay in Bavaro. We have been several times before. This was the best hotel ever in Bavaro. Great staff, always smiling and wiling to serve you. Food just perfect! Room spacious and modern well decorated, shower amazing!
Beach I think the best in destination! Thanks to all the stall to make an unforgettable experience. Great idea, adults only.....!