“Best hotel ever” 5 of 5 bubbles

GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Houston, Texas
“Best hotel ever”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 12, 2014 via mobile

If you are looking for quality, great customer service and style this is the place. I'm looking to go back next year. The staff is very professional, the rooms are awesome and the food is great. The staff makes you feel comfortable at the beginning. Fast check in and check out. Housekeeping service is fast. My friend and I had a blast.

• Stayed April 2014
      Cleanliness
1 Thank angietutis
Hotel Manager N, Manager at Secrets Royal Beach Punta Cana, responded to this review, August 18, 2014
Dear angietutis
We want to thank you for taking time to write a review on Tripadvisor about experience among us. I have no words to express our most sincere gratitude for your lovely comments about your recent stay in our hotel.
We are glad to hear that you enjoyed your vacations at Secrets Royal Beach Punta Cana; and on your behalf we will congratulate our personnel for helping to make your stay memorable.
On behalf of my team, I want to thank you again for choosing us over other Caribbean hotels for your holidays
Warm regards
Hotel Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,356)
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
pennsylvania
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 12, 2014

I always question reviews because I’m not sure who is writing them, so I’ll give you a little info on us first, so you can determine if my review is relevant to you or not.

My wife and I are in our early 50’s, we’re the energetic sports types, tennis, golf, biking. We generally dine out quite often and travel a few times every year from points of interest within North America, to the Caribbean and South America.

We do a la carte trips in the US and cruises or all-inclusives when outside the US. This year we went July 1 - July 7th with 12 of our employees and family (ages 24 to 61) to Secrets Royal Beach in PC. This was our third Secrets property. (Silver Sands and Wild Orchid).

Generally the resort was very nice, clean and the staff was friendly, unfortunately many did not speak English well, which usually isn’t a problem, however when all your menu choices are only in English and they don’t understand what you are ordering then it becomes a bit of a problem. They really need to work on that situation.

My other dissatisfactions were the a la carte restaurants, other than Capers and Spice. We had a wonderful dinner at those two. The entertainment was also not very good and the spa needs help but the treatments were fine. They were my biggest complaints.

The beach is one of the largest and prettiest I have vacationed on, the pool is small but adequate and I just loved the large amount of palm trees that seemed to be everywhere.

The rooms were nice but far from the best we have stayed at (The swim out pool suite at Paridisus Palma Real, the beach view suite at Valentin Imperial Maya and the private pool beach suite at Secrets Silver Sands).

However what I probably liked the most was the two buffets we visited at least once or twice daily, which is rare because I’m not a huge buffet fan. The food was surprisingly good, always fresh and always something new. There were plenty of choices and they weren’t the leftovers from dinner the evening before converted into something new on the breakfast bar, it was all new fresh and appetizing every time! While we stayed at Secrets, after tennis every morning we would visit the Carnival Buffet on the Now Larimar side, it was the larger of the two buffets and there we met Modesto, Miguel and their manager Jose. They treated us literally like family, had a table waiting for us every morning and we never stood in line for the hostess, she too knew we were to sit in their section. Every morning we were greeted with three large smiles, hugs for my wife and a handshake for me. They found us large coffee cups every day and had them waiting since we are coffee fans and always had fresh hot coffee ready and waiting for us. They were wonderful, personable and very attentive. If you go to this resort please look them up, I’m sure they will take good care of you.

Generally, I liked the resort, what I liked most were the 12 others we traveled with, we always have a good time together but I wouldn’t rate this Secrets as high as I would rate the other two we have stayed at. While when combined with Now Larimar it was larger than either Silver Sands and nearly the same size as Wild Orchid & St. James, I just liked the feel those two had more than this one but I still would recommend this resort. This was still one of the better resorts we have stayed at in PC.

Room Tip: Go swim out or beach front if you can.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
7 Thank frannieG
Hotel Manager N, Manager at Secrets Royal Beach Punta Cana, responded to this review, July 24, 2014
Dear frannieG:
Thank you for your time and effort writing a review about your vacation experience at our beautiful Secrets Royal Beach hotel.
We are truly delighted to read that our service team, our location, your room and your experience all together exceeded your expectations. Comments like yours are a true inspiration to our continued pursuit of excellence in everything we do. We will look forward to welcoming you back, hopefully in the not far future.
Kind Regards,
Saint Louis, Missouri
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 12, 2014

For the traveler:

The property was virtually as you saw it advertised. Beautiful grounds, wonderful pool, great entertainment, stunning beach view.

The Pros of Secrets RB: The rooms are large. The shower can house a small marching band (although I'm not sure that's what you're looking for). The food falls to the plus side of the column, and remember, this is an all-inclusive which means they are cooking for a large audience. Recommendations to BAREFOOT GRILL: incredible burgers, chicken, and grilled lobster. Staff is simply untouchable. It is truly amazing. Touch on this more in a minute.

The Cons of Secrets RB: Much like the last 1000 reviews you've read, lighting is poor, especially in the bathrooms. Instead of the continual b*tching, I would suggest that the ladies bring a lighted mirror to use for makeup. The beach/water has a constant flow of seaweed/grass, BUT it is bearable and only slightly a nuisance. A few drinks in and you'll barely notice it!

What Sets Secrets RB Apart: The employees. I've never seen so many bright smiles, so many happy attitudes. Literally, it's amazing.

Suggestions for Secrets RB guests: Tip. If only a little. From what I viewed the staff works as hard for those that tip as those who do not. With that said, they obviously appreciated the extra. Also, if you have the opportunity, take an excursion to off the resort to countryside of the Dominican Republic. We took a dune buggy trip through the inner DR that humbled me. Fantastic.

Restaurant Review: The Secrets buffet was good. The Barefoot Grill was spectacular, but remember, that is a lunchtime only option. Capers (Italian) was a plus, the NowLarimar buffet was good (huge selection), Oceana was a big letdown on the seafood but a big winner on the steak, Mercuro was success for French cuisine, and the Seaside Grill graded out as average. Again, this is an all-inclusive.

Shocker Special: "Cold" is not a word the Domincan is familiar with! They serve their drinks chilled (slightly below room temperature) unless it is a mixed drink that is blended. At that pont, ice is used (and it is purified).

Shocker Special x2: They do have domestic (American) beer. It may be true that they do run out, but I did not see that happen. Listen up paleface: Order Presidente. It tastes good and it is bottomless. Just trying to help you out.

For the Americans: We are loud. We may be slightly (or a lot) uncouth. The Brits may chastise us a bit (we did kick those "cheeky monkeys" out a while back) and others may think we're crazy......just bring a good wad of $1 and distribute them.

Finally: This is a great property and I'd not only return, I'd recommend it to my friends/family.

For Luis Gomez/Property Manager:

You sir, have no idea how special KAREN is, That young woman was simply spectacular, and all 8 of us fell in love with her! While there were many employees that took the time to make our trip better, she simply knocked it out of the park. Your resort will get more of my money/business because of her in the future! She was awesome!
Special shout(s) out to Nelson (Barefoot Grill), Anglade (beach service), and Aidee (room), who made our trip that much better!

Hopefully the next trip to the DR is sooner as opposed to later!

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
      Sleep Quality
2 Thank Jason G
Dear Jason G
Receive cordial greetings on behalf of our entire personnel , we would like to thank you for sharing your experience, is our absolute pleasure reading reviews as kind as yours.
We have congratulated all our staff whose service contributed in your happiness.
We hope that we can welcome you back soon, and we can meet personally!
Best regards
Lewisville, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 11, 2014

My wife and I stayed at the Secrets Royal Beach resorts for our honeymoon. The resort was fantastic, the beaches were beautiful and we met some wonderful people there. The lack of English speaking staff makes this area a little difficult for non-Spanish speakers, but overall, it was a wonderful trip and I would recommend this resort and destination.

I’m a compulsive planner, and I can’t tell you how many resorts I’ve researched not only in Dominican, but across other Caribbean Islands before I made a decision to go with Secrets in Punta Cana, DR. My criteria is simple, AI, white sand, 4 stars (and up resorts), lots of dinning selection, adventure outside the resort and nightlife (which Punta Cana didn’t have, but that’s one of the reason I’ve weeded out most of the other smaller islands).

Instead of listing out my usual pros and cons, I thought I would list out things that I already know from my research and is now confirmed.

- The Bavaro beach has white sand like powder. The water is aqua-green instead of turquoise blue, but it was clean, clear and just as enjoyable. The distance of Bavaro beach is closer to the airport which shortens the travel time.

- The Adult Only resort is peaceful and quiet, but only a few steps away from Now Larimar, which has kids and families. So technically, you can enjoy the rowdiness of Now and then come back to the peaceful atmosphere of Secrets.

- While Secrets only has a few restaurants, the Secrets’ guests can use the restaurants inside Now, which opens up the selection. This gave us an assortment of choices every day we were there.

- Love the Jacuzzi on the balcony; however, if you want to enjoy this, you should get a room on the second or third floor.

- The staffs of the resort (and maybe Dominican Republic in general) spoke very little English compare to resorts in Mexico. Outside of the entertainers, most staff really struggle with basic English even though they know the guests didn’t speak a lick of Spanish. While vacationing in Mexico, most people that we came across are bi-lingual. But here in the DR even the tour guide claimed he spoke “porquito english” and required my wife to do some translation.

Some minor hiccups in the service of this resort.

- At the Oceana Restaurant, the hostess on our first night came off rude as she didn’t understand what formal dining attire should be in a resort. My wife and I showed up dressed appropriately. She is in a sundress and I in my island collared shirt, linen pants and close toes sandals (my island-formal attire has never had an issues in other resorts in the past). She actually did a double take at me and my wife as if we were too casual. Finally, the hostess asks if my sandals are close toes, which should be obvious when she did her double take. Upon entering the restaurant, I saw people in jeans and tennis shoes. Alrighty then!

- The Bluewater Grill at Now, the hostess actually told everyone, “The restaurant is full, I can’t tell you how long the wait is going to be”. Wow! I still can’t figure out if she’s just rude or clueless.

- While they recognized that it’s our honeymoon and placed a banner at our door, they never put our name in the daily itinerary. We asked the lady at the front desk on the day we checked out, and she said we had to talk to the people at the service desk for that. It’s not a major issue, but I expected a 5-star resort to figure out that minor deal without my intervention.

Overall, we had a wonderful time at the resort. The entertainment staff really makes this experience memorable. They work hard, putting in 14 hour days and yet, still managed to keep a big smile going into the night. The Secrets House Band, Charlie Brown, Milky Way and the Hola hola hola, guy that speaks 4 languages, you guys rock!

Of course, I can’t finish this review without comparing it to other places that we’ve been. Overall, this is a great place and I can see us coming back; however, I would pick a vacation in Cancun/Playa Del Carmen over Dominican any day.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank beerandsand
Dear beerandsand
We are glad to hear that you enjoyed your vacations at our hotel; however we regret not been able to reach the level of expectation you had.
Comments like yours are a true inspiration to our continued pursuit of excellence in everything we do. We will look forward to welcoming you back.
Kind Regards,
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 11, 2014 via mobile

love this place, one of the best service in the hall Caribean, Great Staff, great restaurants, I highly recommend this resort, great place for family vacation or in couple, thank you for everything, I will return soon.

Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
Hotel Manager N, Manager at Secrets Royal Beach Punta Cana, responded to this review, August 21, 2014
Dear Irving B
Receive cordial greetings on behalf of the entire personnel of Secrets Royal Beach Punta Cana, in our hotel we are honored to have customers like you thank you very much for sharing your experience from your recent stay!
We are glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and on your name we will congratulate our personnel for helping to make your stay memorable.
We look forward to seeing you again
Cordially
Mexico City, Mexico
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 11, 2014

I cannot begin to explain how grateful i am with everyone at Secrets Royal Beach Punta Cana who made our stay there a true vacation in paradise. All the staff members were always at their best disposition at all times. If you happen to go there, do not miss GOHAN restaurant. All the others are also extraordinary but GOHAN cuisine stole my heart.

Room Tip: Building number four, third floor :)
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
      Cleanliness
1 Thank Lolis39
Dear Lolis39
We look forward to seeing you again
Cordially
Coventry, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 10, 2014 via mobile

We stayed at Secrets Royal beach for 14 nights in June. We travelled with Thompson in their premium club, which had express check-in, queue fast-tracks with drinks included for the flight. The Thompson Rep, Bianna was so helpful and friendly, make sure you go to her welcome talk!

We had pre-arranged an upgrade with Secrets to their preferred club. We did this directly with the hotel, as Thompson didn't offer this. Preferred club is well worth the upgrade, you get a better room, a private pool, private beach section, you own bar area (we loved Francisco and his cocktail inventions!) plus the maid and turn-down service was fantastic.

This was our first trip to the Dominican Republic. The resort is beautiful and the gardens are so well maintained. The experience is really set apart by the staff, though. Jeffrey at the preferred pool really made our holiday - I can't overstate this! He is an absolute credit to this hotel. Also, Santa at the preffered beach and pool - what a lovely lady. Our maid Malena was superb, I wanted to thank her personally for the beautiful towel displays and making our room look so beautiful.

The food is good - we ate at all the restaurants apart from the Sushi and seafood - but this was just personal preference. As an English person, I found the food quite Americanised, but I don't really have a problem with that! The French restaurant and Japanese were probably my favourites. It is worth making a reservation for the Japanese so you can sit at the hibachi table.

We did the excursion to Saona Island in the Carribean Sea, which was a highlight of our honeymoon. It is such a beautiful place, crystal clear waters and perfect white sand beaches. I really enjoyed the stop at the natural swimming pool where you can see starfish. I would highly recommend getting out of the hotel and learning more about the beautiful Dominican Republic.

My husband and I only have a very basic grasp of Spanish, but managed to get by just fine. English just isn't taught in the DR and it is humbling ( and also embarrassing for English speakers) how multilingual most of the staff are. I think it is ridiculous reading these reviews saying there is a language barrier - we didn't find this at all.

It was, without a doubt, the best holiday we have ever had - I would highly recommend this hotel if you want complete relaxation and luxury! Thank you Secrets, I hope we can come back soon.

Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
8 Thank Philpa88
Dear Philpa88
We want to thank you for taking time to write a review on Tripadvisor about experience among us. I have no words to express our most sincere gratitude for your lovely comments about your recent stay in Secrets Royal Beach Punta Cana.
We are glad to know that we exceed the expectations of such a special trip like a honeymoon. Comments like yours are a true inspiration to our continued pursuit of excellence in everything.
We have congratulate on your behalf all our personnel, whose service contributed in your happiness
On the other hand, we are glad to read that you would like to come back, if that happened, it would be an honor if I can meet you personally.
Yours sincerely,