“Wonderful”

GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Cardiff, Wales, United Kingdom
“Wonderful”
Reviewed March 28, 2014 via mobile

This is an adults only hotel which makes it peaceful and ideal for those wanting a real break. There is entertainment for those who want to join in beach games, etc but you're not harassed constantly to join in. The food was excellent although the service could be slow on occasions and there were a couple of occasions when we had to order drinks several times before they arrived.
My only issues were the lack of internet access, although this was being rectified whilst we were there; there is a lot of shade around the pool making it difficult to find a spot if you're a sun lover; and the lack of an extractor in the bathroom which meant that things steamed up quickly.
I'd certainly look to go back.

Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
HotelManagerSERPC, Manager at Secrets Royal Beach Punta Cana, responded to this review, March 30, 2014
Dear Sandra O.
Thank you very much for your comments about your vacation with us.
It is our honor to know that the concept of Adults Only hotel was exactly what you needed.
We take note of your suggestion on internet.
We look forward to welcoming you back soon.
attentively
Secrets Royal Beach

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,559)
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Lytham St Anne's, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 28, 2014

Before booking this hotel (because majority of reviews were very good), I wondered why there could be such a range of opinions and decided it was the customers that varied rather than the experience. Overall we enjoyed our stay and would offer our observations as follows. The experience was not excellente (in joke) and the following items irked us a bit, but I could imagine that some people might get annoyed. In no particular order.
1. If you want alcohol in your cocktail, you have to ask for it. I can see how this might be a monetary saving for the hotel, plus they don't get loads of drunks lying round the place.
2. If you prefer tea to coffee you are in for a disappointment. The concept of tea made with boiling water is alien to them, plus the waiter would have to go to the kitchen to get it. The quality of the coffee is variable in the extreme and ranges from good down to cold dregs. Again "hot" is not regarded as essential.
3, The waiter/ waitress will be very quick to take your drinks order but may not actually bring it. Only in the Plaza area at night did I actually witness the waiter write down the details. I think that sometimes they simply forget who ordered what.This happened to us 8 times during our 2 week stay. Not the end of the world.
4. They are very keen to clear your dining table (especially in the buffet) and will begin removing items while you are still eating, on several occasions stretching over your plate. Twice they tried to remove my plate before I had finished, so don't pause between mouth fulls.
5. Low energy light bulbs in rooms mean they are not well lit. No spare sockets so if you want to plug in a hairdryer or similar, you need to unplug something. But don't worry it wan't be near to a light or a mirror anyway. There is a smoke alarm immediately above the bed and it will flash every 5 seconds. No problem in the daytime but it is a pest at night when trying to sleep.
6. We booked 2 weeks but when checking in, the desk clerk was less than enthusiastic. He only gave us one (electronic) key, and he sighed and asked us to come back to the desk later, no doubt when his shift had finished. We never got the second key, and not surprisingly the key expired after 7 days (most guests stay for 7 days). On the good side, when checking out at the end of our stay, the clerk gave us 2 keys as she thought we were checking in(!). We were down on their system twice.
7. We booked an "Ocean View" room but the view was only partial. Most of them are, as the hotel is built end-on to the sea. We were offered a room in the "Preferred Club" but this was not very good (and expensive). Most of the better preferred club rooms seemed to be occupied by a group of businessmen, who we reckoned were company employees. After they left, the Preferred Club resembled a geriatric ward.
8. There are wholly insufficient umbrellas on the beach. If you want one, get up around 6.30am and put towels, etc on the beds you want. The beach is terrific and goes on and on for miles. There are touts trying to get you to visit shops, etc but just smile and keep walking.
9. WiFi is very expensive and not smooth. It can also be very slow.
10. I had hoped to play golf while there but at $250 plus for a round that was a no-no.

The area of Bavaro is somewhat isolated. We went on a trip to a floating offshore pontoon next to a reef, but at $129 each for a couple of hours we thought it was a a rip-off. The trip to Santiago was tedious and after 2 hours on the bus we had only gone about 20 miles. The town was uninspiring and the streets full of rubbish. We were accosted regularly and our guide warned us of the high crime rate and no-go areas after 6pm.
A free bus is offered to a local shopping mall. We didn't go as other guests annoyed at having to trek all over the mall to get their tickets "validated". If they didn't do this they couldn't get on the return bus.

As I said earlier, none of the above spoiled our holiday and we had a good time.

Room Tip: Ocean view rooms are best
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Wayla2013
Dear Wayla2013
Thank you very much for your very detailed description of your holiday with us.
As mention, it is important to know that everyone is different with different tastes and expectations. However our goal is to exceed the expectations of each and every one of our guests, so we take note of all the suggestions you make to us, and we hope that if you ever give us the opportunity to return, can also exceed your expectations.
We are glad that despite the improvement points, you and your husband could enjoy and relax with us
attentively
Secrets Royal Beach
Youngstown, Ohio
Reviewed March 27, 2014

Secrets Royal Beach was an amazing place to visit! I enjoyed myself the entire time I was there! It was a family trip and it was one of the best vacations I have ever been on! The rooms were amazing and it was so nice that they put cute decorations each afternoon and evening for the turn down service. I really loved how the hallways were open. The resort was very clean. The rooms were clean, the pool, the hallways, the pubic bathrooms, the restaurants. The presentations were beautiful with the food everyday. It also helped that I spoke some Spanish! It was fun to be treated so well the entire time. The staff helped make the trip so much fun. They went out of their way to make you feel welcome, everyone that you passed, even the cleaning staff in the hallways were pleasant and always said hello. The front desk staff were great. We loved Alfredo! He was very pleasant and nice! As soon as we walked in from the airport they were handing us champagne and cool towels! It was so nice! We booked our trip through Apple vacations and the representative (Brahm) was very helpful and very knowledgeable about the country, the resort, and what excursions were available to participate in if you would want. The pool was very beautiful and I loved the swim up bar. I also thought it was very cute how there were sashes displayed on certain doors that said "Honeymoon" or "Welcome Back" or "Happy Anniversary". That just makes it more personalized for the people vacationing there. The beach was beautiful! The only problem was you had to get there early to get a tiki umbrella! The staff served you drinks on the beach as well. We spent some time at the pool and on the beach and both places were kept clean. The pool was fun because the staff had something going on from time to time to entertain you. We loved Milky Way! He was always smiling! I really enjoyed the fact that it was adults only, all inclusive as well. It was nice to just order whatever you wanted and not have to worry. The fact that there were no children splashing around in the pool was nice. The entertainment team was amazing! I really enjoyed the shows every night! I even participated in one of the pre-shows, which was fun. The dancers were wonderful to watch! My family and I participated in some of the excursions outside of the resort which was very enjoyable as well. It was interesting to see other parts of the island and how the people live outside of the resort. Overall, I think it is a GREAT resort and I would definitely go back there, whether it be with family or my significant other. I feel that they tried their hardest to make your stay there the best it could possibly be. I loved it! It was excellente!!!!

Room Tip: We had a tropical view room and our balcony was facing a walkway on the far side of the resort. Unfo...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Kerri G
HotelManagerSERPC, Manager at Secrets Royal Beach Punta Cana, responded to this review, March 28, 2014
Dear Kerri G:
We want to thank you for taking time to write a review on Tripadvisor about experience among us. I have no words to express our most sincere gratitude for your lovely comments about your recent stay in our hotel.
We are glad to hear that you enjoyed your vacations at Secrets Royal Beach Punta Cana; and on your behalf we will congratulate our personnel for helping to make your stay memorable.
Critics like yours, allow us to see the hotel from the point of view of the customer, and see through your eyes as you lived your holiday also you help us to improve the service that is why we are taking note about your kind suggestions.
On behalf of my team, I want to thank you again for choosing us over other Caribbean hotels for your holidays
Lexington, Kentucky
Reviewed March 27, 2014 via mobile

My fiancé and i went to Secrets with my Mom and sister. We had an EXCELLENT time! I would definitely go back! I highly recommend it! The staff is absolutely amazing! So friendly and welcoming. They are very attentive to your needs. Alfredo De Castro at the front desk was one of the first employees we talked to and he was very informative about the resort and very friendly. We always looked forward the to seeing him when we were in the front lobby! The cleaning staff was amazing! We had Yobanny Santana and our room was absolutely spotless when we would get back for the day and also the turn down service at night! The entertainment at the resort was awesome! The shows were always excellante! There was always something to do during the day with the entertainment team. Akon and Milky Way were always very friendly and funny. Good entertainers!! We went on excursions outside the resort and they made sure you hands ride and the drivers were all very nice. The restaurants were amazing! So many to choose from. The beach area was beautiful! Always serving you drinks throughout the day! Overall our trip was amazing and I would definitely go back to this resort again! Highly recommended!

Room Tip: My fiancé and I were farther from the beach then my sister and mom. We had a king size bed and my mo...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
HotelManagerSERPC, Manager at Secrets Royal Beach Punta Cana, responded to this review, April 5, 2014
Dear Lindsey G
Greetings from Secrets Royal Beach Punta cana. Our hotel is passionate about customer satisfaction; our goal is to build strong and trusted customer relationships and therefore we are happy to know that you have plenty enjoyed our facilities and services during your recent stay. Please do not hesitate to contact us if you want to visit us once again.
Kind Regards
Hotel manager
Lexington ky
Reviewed March 27, 2014 via mobile

This was my first vacation outside of the United States and to be honest I really didn't know what to expect. First off the scenery was beautiful at the resort and the beaches were never too crowded and they ALWAYS had some kind of activity going if you need to find something to do instead of relax.

The service was amazing. From the bartenders to the housekeeping the service was amazing and I even made a friend at the front desk, Alfredo!

Alfredo answered all of my questions and was super helpful and friendly! I even promise I would come back so I could see him again!! Alfredo was my favorite employee I met the entire week we were there!

They also had multiple activities. We went deep sea fishing, horseback riding on the beach, and went to Saona island which is a must! They have parasailing and pirate dinner cruises as well!

We will definitely be returning to the secrets resort royal beach in punta cana! AMAZING!!

Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
Dear Thomas R
We are glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. We congratulated on your behalf our personnel of Secrets Royal Beach specially Karen, for helping to make your stay memorable. We will look forward to welcoming you back again. In our hotel we are honoured to have customers like you.
Comments like yours give us strength to continue on our way, thank you for your warm words of support and encouragement, your message will be communicated to all staff to share the joy I felt when reading it.
Thanks again.
Cornelius, North Carolina
Reviewed March 26, 2014

Barely a 4 rating from our experience. My husband and I just took our first serious vacation in years this past week. We wanted to go to an adults only all inclusive resort and Secrets seemed to be what we were looking for. We splurged and went for the "Preferred Status" and I honestly can't decide if it was worth it or not. It WAS worth it for our room location and layout because it was spectacular with an awesome view of the ocean and a great L shaped balcony. But our room had a musty smell and the pillows while they were comfortable - smelled sour. I called the front desk to ask for new pillows and was told someone would call me. It never happened. It was also worth it for the private beach area (although it was right beside the resort next door which had kids) and our private pool was nice with a swim up bar.

When we checked in everything went quickly and smoothly and we were impressed. We were given a folder with our "internet" code and room keys and two gold key cards that we were told were "resort credits" for $200" and away we went.

As far as all inclusive - well it is very misleading. I had been told by friends that had been to other resorts that all inclusive includes food, drinks, alcohol and snorkeling. At Secrets of course the food is included and there is plenty of variety to choose from. (I will talk about the food in a second). But we are wine drinkers - not much on mixed drinks. The resort had one bottle of white and one bottle of red to choose from that were "included". Wines we had never heard of but we tried them anyway and didn't care for them at all. We asked for a wine list only to discover that any other wine we wanted we would have to pay for - and the prices were not cheap! The wine list contained wines from various countries and had about 6 or 8 from each country. Not a huge selection but better than nothing. Since we had the "resort credit" for $200 we decided to use it on wine - assuming they charge it to your room and then deduct $200 when you check out. Wrong! We found out two days before we left that the resort credit could only be used for a certain amount towards the spa (maybe $30) and $60 could be used if you wanted a private dinner for two on the beach - price tag $200, and $10 towards a bottle of wine. HOWEVER you had to get coupons (we still don't know from where) and present the coupons at the time of use. We felt this was so unfair that nobody took the time to explain it to us when we checked in. So my husband went to Customer Relations and asked for the manager. A lady came out and said she was the "assistant manager" so he explained the situation to her. He walked out with a commitment from her to credit us $20-20% - yes that's right. Was she talking about giving us a 20% break on the money we spent on wine or was she giving us a $20 credit. He asked her 3 times and still got the same answer. It really didn't matter. All we were asking is to give us the "coupon" credits towards the wine that we had purchased since we were not informed. He felt that she did not care about what he was saying and actually said to her that he was talking to her as opposed to writing a bad review. Still she appeared to be in a hurry to end the discussion. Understand he was not being rude at all so there was no reason for her to act like this. At the end of our stay we got our bill and we were not credited anything. We told the gentleman who was checking us out what she had committed and he simply asked who told us that but did nothing to investigate or help. Since our driver was there to take us to the airport we could not hang around to fight for it so we left. I also ran into the General Manager of the resort in the restaurant the day we found out about this and told him how we were not informed of how the resort credits worked and suggested in the future they have a piece of paper explaining, in whatever language, what the resort credits were and how it worked and also explain what "perks" one gets with the Preferred Status. We also found out halfway through our vacation that "preferred" status guests had a different dining area in the buffet restaurant and we found out when the hostess asked for our room number. She said "Ah you are Preferred! You sit in the Preferred section of the dining area. Good to know now but too bad nobody told us that up front. When I shared this with the General Manager he said they could not print out these things.

On Saturday night we were, once again about to leave for dinner an the phone rang in our room. The man said they were coming to bring "supplies" for our garden tub out on our balcony. We told them we were about to go to dinner so that was fine. He said they were coming around 7:45 and we told them we would be at dinner but ok no problem. We got back to our room around 11:00 p.m. and they had filled the tub with bubbles and rose petals - very very nice gesture and had we known exactly what they were doing and when they were doing it we would have taken advantage of it and enjoyed it. Instead, the bubbles were about gone and the water was cold. Again, nice gesture but poor implementation.

The general manager did find out what room we were in and sent us a bottle of champagne for providing our input. It was a nice gesture but we don't drink much champagne and it was delivered as we were getting dressed to go to dinner. We appreciated the gesture but gave the bottle back when we checked out. It would have been much more appreciated to get credit for one of the bottles of wine we purchased but I know he meant well.

As for the food, we thought it was "OK". There were none of the restaurants we ate at that we wanted to go back a second time. Breakfast and lunch buffets were great. Dinners we found lacking.

As for the people we found some were very friendly and some had serious "attitude". I know many people have had an excellence experience with the staff. We just did not see the super friendly and super helpful staff that others have. Unfortunate for us.

Overall it is a great place and if you get "friendly" bar tenders and friendly helpful staff then it probably rocks. We had a great vacation in spite of it but just felt like for the money we expected more. As I said, this was our first experience with "all inclusive" and we were going on experiences from other friends to gage what "all inclusive" was all about. Make sure you know what it gets you!
And If you go preferred status make sure you have in writing what it gets you before you get there.

Room Tip: Ocean view third floor. Room 2380 is the perfect view and location!
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Stephanie B
Dear Stephanie B:
We want to thank you for taking time to write a review on Tripadvisor about experience among us. I have no words to express our most sincere gratitude for your comments about your recent stay in our hotel.
Tunbridge Wells
Reviewed March 26, 2014 via mobile

We are sitting in the Secrets Rendezvous bar waiting for our pick up to the airport and we just don't want to go.
Yep you guessed it we have had a really great holiday here but let's get the irritating things about the place out of the way first.
1.The lighting in the rooms is so dim that you can't read. There is a dressing table but no light to see if the lipstick is on right--the wife's that is. I know the management read these reviews so pleeeese do something about the lights for future guests.
2. If you want a sunbed with a shade forget about a lie in you have to be up at 6.30 to get them. There are plenty of beds though but not enough shades.

That's it as far as the bad news is concerned. Everything else has been great.
ROOMS- we have been in the preferred section and the rooms, room service and housekeeping were exceptional. We had early calls most days--to get a sunbed and shade and they were on time every day as was room service when we ordered it. The wardrobes could have been a bit bigger but then I keep telling the wife we take too many clothes on holiday.
FOOD-- we have put on pounds and pounds here. We have been to many all inclusive holidays in the Caribbean and the Indian Ocean and this has to rank as one of if not the best we have been to food wise. The choice and quality of the food was exceptional. Ignore any of the reviews that have said there was little variety I think they must have been staying at a different hotel. My congratulation to the chefs and kitchen staff who have done such a great job.
BEACH- the beach is scrupulously clean. A member of staff continually goes round picking up any debris left by guests and the beach drinks service was really on the ball. Get up early though if you want a shade.
STAFF- everyone of the staff couldn't have been more friendly from the cleaners up the ladder to management. We'll done the training school
ACTIVITIES- If you want it there is something to do all day but if you don't there are lots of quiet areas to relax. The evening entertainment was really good every night.
POOLS- Always clean and lots of them. I particularly enjoyed swimming round the meandering swim up pool.

I've had enough of doing this now so we are off for our last meal at Secrets before the pick up coach arrives. Lobster for me I think!!

Stayed March 2014
3 Thank colbak
Dear colbak
Receive cordial greetings on behalf of the entire personnel of Secrets Royal Beach Punta Cana, in our hotel we are honored to have customers like you thank you very much for sharing your experience from your recent stay!
We are glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and on your name we will congratulate our personnel for helping to make your stay memorable.
We look forward to seeing you again
Cordially