“Nothing special”

Secrets Royal Beach Punta Cana
Ranked #9 of 114 Hotels in Punta Cana
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed January 6, 2014

My wife and I spent a week (Sunday to Sunday) during the last week of December. Our trip started with the airline losing our bags, so it wasn't a good start. When we checked in, our room wasn't ready, so we went to the buffet to eat. The "whiskey" I ordered smelled like rubbing alcohol and tasted pretty rank. They claim to provide certain label brands at each bar or restaurant. During our 8 days on site, every drink I had tasted the same...scotch, tequila, vodka, rum...they all had the less than appetizing taste and smell. We had breakfast and lunch each day at the buffet, which got old after about 3 days. Same choices every day. The food wasn't bad, but it was nothing special. The specialty restaurants spend more time trying to upsell you bottles of wine than they do trying to create a unique dining experience.
The first night we tried the Sushi bar (Gohan). I've had better sushi in the mountains of Vermont than I had at Gohan. Another night, Mercure lost our order. We sat and watched as multiple tables sat, dined and left, unable to get anyone's attention.
While I'm on the subject of Mercure (which claims to be Adults only dining)...if you are going to establish rules for attire or "adults only", then enforce those rules. About half of the diners went through the trouble of dressing for dinner according to each restaurants requirements, the other half were in flip-flops and shorts. That attire is fine, but if you have a rule requiring pants and shoes, it should be enforced, otherwise, don't post the rules.
All in all, the beach is just okay, the pool okay, the rooms are okay (when they bother to come and clean - which didn't happen every day), drinks and food are poor to fair. Not my favorite resort and won't be back.
Some of the staff were very helpful - Yaqueline in the main restaurant, Jefrey poolside bar staff, Marcelo at concierge. However, many of the staff seemed more concerned with talking with their peers than talking to a customer. Not my idea of what you do when you work in a service industry.

Room Tip: Apparently, if you join their travel club, they will upgrade you to rooms closer to the beach.
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Chris P
HotelManagerSERPC, Manager at Secrets Royal Beach Punta Cana, responded to this reviewResponded January 8, 2014

Dear Chris P:

Thank you for took your time for sharing your valuable feedback about your recent stay with us.
We deeply regret that we have not met your expectations and you could not enjoy your holiday as we would have wished. Critics like yours, help us to improve the service that is why we are taking note about your kind suggestions as improving our restaurant service. We deeply regret having failed to reach the level you expected of drinks and food.
I am personally going to work with my chefs, for improving our variety and offer to this kind of comments on the future.

On the other hand, it would be an honor if I can meet you personally for a next time, if that happens, do not hesitate to contact us time.

Luis Gomez

Write a ReviewReviews (10,374)

Reviewed January 6, 2014

Pros:
Outstanding stuff (waiters, housekeeping),food and service. 4 excellent restaurants (Buffet, Grill, Seafood,Sushi).
The surroundings, beach and pool are proper and very pleasent. Great Animation team (Thanks to Milky Way and all the others).
Spacious suites with jacuzzi on balcony. Seperat toilet in the modern bathroom.
Cons: Beware of the rooms on the first floor. Musty smell, no privacy, noisy. Ask for a room on second or third floor. All rooms are too dark.

Room Tip: Look fur a room in the upper floors
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Matthias H

Dear Matthias H :

We want to thank you for taking time to write a review on Tripadvisor about experience among us. I have no words to express our most sincere gratitude for your lovely comments about your recent stay with us.
We are glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay at Secrets Royal Beach Punta Cana, and on your name we will congratulate our personnel, for helping to make your stay memorable.
On behalf of my team, I want to thank you again for choosing us over other Caribbean hotels for your holidays

Reviewed January 6, 2014

We stayed at Secrets 11th-26th December and had a great time There are many excellent things about this resort.
The entertainment staff Akon, Milky Way,Fidel, Karen, Evans and Eddie were fantastic and really made my holiday very enjoyable and fun. Akon's energy was so contagious from the start - he never stops, but seems to love every minute of it! They were all very encouraging (in a nice way!) for guests to take part and included my mother in many of the activities and fitness classes which she really enjoyed! The evening entertainment was also very good - I had my breath taken away by the talented acrobats in the circus shows - this is a must see and the beach party is fun.

Positives (there are many)
The staff are exceptionally helpful, nice and happy people! I haven't experienced this before, and there was such a happy vibe from everyone! As mentioned above, the entertainment team were great. The maid service for the room (Angela Maria) was excellent. It was always clean and made pretty.
Restaurant staff were very helpful - from the ladies who greet you, the lovely Josephina and Carmen, Carlos, Felix and so many more.
The bar staff work hard and are friendly. Thanks to all, especially Juan Carlos, Ishamel, Derby...

It is a no wristband resort! Great!

The beach and Riviera restaurant toilets were spotless and decorated by the maids beautifully. (Please congratulate them on their great work)

General grounds were very tidy and well kept gardens.

The beach is clean.
Yoga on the beach at 9.30 and 10.30am. I had the pleasure of meeting two wonderful visiting yoga teachers who took the morning classes. Bliss!

Negatives (not that we found many at all)
Lighting in room is a bit low.
Air conditioning was noisy at night time
Pool was too cold for me! A little higher temperature would be great.
Food in the speciality restaurants wasn't as good as I had expected, but that could be my diet or taste..
Food at the Riviera and Carnival (NOW) restaurants was good and plentiful! The temperature of the food is variable which I guess is because of the constant opening of the serving dishes they are in... The same goes for the temperature of the coffee.

The jacuzzi and balcony are not private in most rooms which is a big shame as the balconies have glass panels.
If you want international brand drinks at the bars, you must ask for them!

We had a great stay, thank you to all at Secrets Royal Beach.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank zoe k
HotelManagerSERPC, Manager at Secrets Royal Beach Punta Cana, responded to this reviewResponded January 10, 2014

Dear zoe k

Receive cordial greetings on behalf of the entire personnel of Secrets Royal Beach , we would like to thank you for sharing your experience, I am truly delighted to read that our service team, our location, your room and your experience all together were great and you could relax as wanted.
On your behalf we are going to congratulate Akon,Carmen, Carlos, Felix Milky Way,Fidel, Karen, Evans and Eddie for helping to make your stay so enjoyable.

We hope that we can welcome you back soon, and we can meet personally!

Reviewed January 5, 2014

First off I will say I have stayed in many resorts like Secrets but this one was just ok. The rooms are ok nothing special very little views other than the pool and trees. The food in the restaurants is really good for an all inclusive resort but I got sick on day three. I stayed sick the rest of my stay and ended up at the doctor when I returned back to the U.S. I had to take antibiotics to get rid of a bacteria infection caused by the food there. The beach is gorgeous with little seaweed but don't venture out beyond the hotel. The little shops down the beach are sketchy and pushy. Like I said it isn't a horrible place but for the price there is much better.

Room Tip: Don't pay for an ocean view room, there are only a handful you can actually see the ocean from.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Joanie M

Dear Joanie M;

We deeply regret that we have not met your expectations and you could not enjoy your holiday as we would have wished. Critics like yours, help us to improve the service that is why we are taking note about your kind suggestions as improving our rooms. We deeply regret having failed to reach the level you expected of the room view.

Concerning the unfortunate and uncomfortable situation that you experienced not feeling well during some days of your stay, we do apologize for all the inconveniences that this unexpected situation caused you and I hope you are feeling good now.
I have reviewed this issue carefully and even though that it might appear that you were sick because of our food, this was not the case. We follow the HACCP Program which obliges us to stick to strict policies and procedures of hygiene and safety and on the other hand we are externally audited by Safety First (Crystal America) and everything was fine.
All what involves the process of receive, storage, cook, handle or manipulate the food at our Hotel is very carefully controlled because we know the high importance of all this procedures and at the end the safety and health of all our guest and employees; all this is documented for any possible issue.

We hope that despite this experience you give us another opportunity to exceed your expectations

Kind Regard

Reviewed January 5, 2014

We stayed there 12/28/13 - 01/04/14 - Just what we needed...relaxation, pampering, GREAT weather...What I didn't need was ALL the GREAT food...I now need to change my New Year's resolution by about 5 pounds, but it was well worth it!!! The staff was very attentive!!!

Room Tip: Tropical View was pool side and much nicer view than the other side of the hall way
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank JnDrfre2travel

Dear JnDrfre2travel :

Reviewed January 5, 2014

We are just back from a fantastic week over the New Year at Secrets Royal beach DR. My wife and I have travelled lots and loved this hotel but observed a few small areas for improvement to help future travellers.

Positives - the staff are outstandingly helpful and friendly, brilliant attitudes and warm welcomes everywhere. We have never seen people work so hard. Tipping wasn't expected but much appreciated and very worth it.

We had a swim up suite (block 4000) sun all morning until mid afternoon and served really well to our sun beds by Angel - what a really funny guy!

The beach was perfectly located, cleaned every day by tractor and sugar white. The grounds and gardens were perfectly manicured and the hotel was spotless.

Restaurants - we really enjoyed the non reservations for the restaurants which worked well, we are up early and eat early for dinner so we never had to wait for anything. We tried two of the A La Carte but actually the Riviera buffet had a different theme each night and we couldn't fault the food, choice or quality.

Areas for slight improvement and awareness - men need to wear long pants / trousers with a collared shirt and need to have fully closed toe shoes which was the only part that caught me out.

Pool temperature - the pools were actually cold and had they been a few degrees higher would have been perfect to cool off rather than shiver...

Room lighting - great bedside spot lights but the room was overall quite dark which my wife struggled with.

Wifi - I appreciate this is a vacation and we should leave our gadgets alone but as an international hotel wifi signals should be better than this, most people have and want some form of access, I paid $25 for 25 hours access for a token at the business centre and really wouldn't recommend this as the signal is so poor. The hotel could improve here.

Overall we had a fantastic time here and as our first time in DR are hooked by the smiling attitude and genuine friendliness of everyone, this place really is Excellente and should be kept a complete secret!

Hope you enjoy the hotel, area and people - Feliz Anno Nuevo Amigos.

Room Tip: Swim up on the sunrise side was Excellente..
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank PeteNook333

Dear PeteNook333

On your behalf we are going to congratulate all our staff for making your stay so enjoyable.

We hope that we can welcome you back soon, and we can meet personally!

Reviewed January 5, 2014

My wife and I traveled to Secrets Royal Beach the first week of December in 2013. Prior to thr trip i did a lot of research and was getting fairly nervous by some of the reviews on here. After staying here I have come to the conclusion that this resort is what you make of it. We had an "excellente" time and would recommend it to others. This was our 3rd all inclusive (previously secrets silversands and a couples resort), so we had some experience but by no means are experts. We are a couple in our late 20s.

Flight/airport- The DR airport is unique, very open and not like anything i have seen. We booked through apple and it seemed like other peoples vacations were more important than ours as no one seemed to understand the concept of lines except us. We didnt get too worked up, but our shuttle left without us because people kept cutting in front of us at the Apple line as they were obviously more important. Expect to wait at the airport and bring cash for the 10 buck per person tourist fee.

Check in- This i where one of our only complaints came in. After a long day of travel all We really wanted was to change into comfortable clothes, grab a beer, and some food. The actual check in was fine, but then we were grabbed by a staff member sat down to talk about the dreaded time share breakfast. He was somewhat pushy and we were not in the mood to hear about it. We didnt want to commit to a breakfast within 10 minutes of being at the resort. I think this should be done after being here a few days, but not jumped on as soon as you walk in the door. We eventually got away with no resort coupons, more hungry, thirsty, and gave us a bad taste in our mouth. Again this is one of my only complaints.

Room- We have stayed at a secrets before and the room was fairly similar except for a jaccuzzi outside. We were greeted with a bottle of rum and champagne-nice touch. The room is modern, and large with a nice shower and very comfy bed. We didnt think the lighting was that bad maybe it was better than other rooms but it seems to be a common complaint. It does get humid in the room without a bathroom fan, our documents became kind of wrinkled, but you are in the carribean-its humid!

Food-We thought the food overall was really good. A lot of the reviews talk about people getting stomach bugs and my wife and I both did as well as friends we met here. It seems like it was norovirus going around, so be sure to use hand sanitizer and wash your hands. I really dont believe this was food poisoning, which others seem to think. Room service was good and it was nice to have other options at NOW. We thought the buffet was always good and we loved the lunch at the barefoot grille which had awesome burgers, chicken, ribs, shrimp, and even lobster! Some restaurants require pants and boat shoes, which i didnt think was a big deal. We like dressing up for vacation anyway and I never felt too hot as the weather at night was always perfect. We only ate at the french restaurant and Spice at now, but enjoyed both and ate at all the restaurants at Secrets and liked the seafood the best.

Drinks- i thought the drinks here were the best of the resorts we have been too. They are definitely not watered down! We loved the bartenders all nice especially at the swim up bar and Fernando who was always happy to see us at night. We loved the irish coffees-must have never had anything like it and the mamajuanas. Some people have complained about beer selection which is basically presidente and presidente light. I consider myself a beer snob as i love microbrew beers, but you're in the DR! So i actually like bothe presidente and presidente lite The dominican rums are all very tasty as well. The drinks are well made with garnishes and they always keep them coming.

Entertainment- We came on this trip to chill out and not do anything but relax so we didnt partake in much during the day, but there is plenty to do to keep you occupied. The staff especially Milky Way and Eddie Murphy were very friendly and would just come up and have conversations with you. They were a lot of fun and very nice guys. We wish them the best. Night time had a lot of shows and music, but mostly jazz if you are into that. We enjoyed the nighttime entertainment and if you cant find anything you like you can always head over to NOW as well. If you're a younger couple looking for a place to party, then this place probably isnt for you. We would often head to the night club or casino over at NOW at 1030 as the secrets side started to die down, which was nice to have that option.

Beach/pool- The beach is beautiful with white sand and clear water. There were plenty of chairs and some a-holes would reserve palapas early and never use them, but there were always still plenty of places to sit/lay. The beach would get windy during the day, i think this was seasonal though. There is also very good drink service on the beach. We felt like we could walk/run on the beach more than othe places without being harrassed which was nice. The long (lazy river) pool is nice, but somewhat cool when we were there. There werent many people using it so it was nice and quiet. I read complaints on here about the main pool being loud, and drunk people around, but we never thought that. In fact the opposite the swim up bar almost always had empty stools and was a great place to go during the rain as it was covered and everyone else would leave. The resort could use a hot tub for cloudy cool days though.

Staff- The staff here are great. I think it is funny that people go to another country and complain about them not understanding you. That is your problem not theirs! There is a language barrier, but definitely nothing crazy especially if you know some spanglish. Everyone wants your trip to be excellente and they go out of their way to try to make it so. We tipped fairly often here. No one ever expected it and not many other guests were tipping. These people work hard and i wanted to show I appreciated it. It is definitely not required and it seems like other guests got similar excellent service without tipping. Special shout outs to milky way, eddie murphy, fernando, and carlos at the swim up bar.

Secrets in general are nice resorts and we would probably stay agin at a secrets, but we like to explore different places. The frustrations are they are always trying to offer you things that are extras. When I go on vacation to an all inclusive I dont want other options. I wish they would do away with lobster dinners, bowling alleys, wine, champagne and other amenities that cost extra as it takes away from the all inclusive vibe.

Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple