“Just what we needed!”

GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Atlantic City, New Jersey
“Just what we needed!”
Reviewed November 12, 2013

We chose this resort because our travel agent knew we would like this adults only relaxing,fun,private,clean and safe resort. We are not big drinkers or eaters,but we do enjoy trying different foods and drinks.This resort had both.We stayed in a swim up room #4150 which was a very good choice with the lazy river pool 6ft.from the patio.Waiter service all the time.The beach is very clean the water clear and just right.Grill on the beach had good chicken and steaks.The buffet we ate there for breakfast,I enjoyed the quiche and all the different fresh mango and pinnapple and the juices. We had dinner at the two restaurants on site --good. 3 dinners on the NOW site.Our best meal and entertaining meal was at the Bluewater grill with the table to table Trio playing requested songs .Pretty Woman for my wife of 34yrs. Just great! We went to the Casino bet $40 on Roulette and won every time we won we tipped the dealer until we were back to the orginal $40 then cashed out fun again! Went to a couple of shows they had and they are alot of fun with the cast being the young staff working as waiters ect.during the day. These shows are not Vegas Atlantic City or Broadway they are kids having a blast and doing the very best they can and we really enoyed thier efforts. My wife and I know that the people working at these resorts don't make alot of money,so that being said we tip everyone.$5 a day for the maid $5 at breakfast $5 at lunch $10 at dinner $2 per drink I can not get up from a table after being waited on and not tip.I am not wealthy,just a working class man that knows that the tip will go a long way in the Carribean. We ordered room service 3 times,was ther in 30min. good again. The one thing we didn't enjoy was the airport on arrival,very confusing.Filled out form on plane paid $20 entry fee for two but then was told we had to fill out another DR form.Noone had filled these out no pens no help.Then the guys wanting to carry our small carry ons added to the feeling of chaos of trying to find your way to your shuttle to the resort.Missed the Apple Reps. found on outside taking his lunch break at a food stand and he helped us get to our shuttle . Thank you $5tip. All and all great weather good food good drinks and as always we met some nice people enoying life.Germany,UK,Luxenberg,Oregan,Pittsburg,Michigan,PhillyandNJ Go here and enjoy! The SPA WAS GREAT!

Room Tip: Swim up room do it.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank shadrack28
HotelManagerSERPC, Manager at Secrets Royal Beach Punta Cana, responded to this review, November 13, 2013
Dear ed f

Greetings from Secrets Royal Beach Punta Cana and thank you so much for your wonderful feedback about your recent stay in our hotel.

I feel very happy that you had a memorable experience in our hotel and I hope that you had enjoyed the hotel benefits at all.

On the other hand, it will be an honor if you decide to join us once again, If that happens I will make sure to give you a memorable vacations in our hotel.

Yours faithfully

Secrets Royal Beach Punta Cana Resort & Spa

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,458)
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Reviewed November 11, 2013

From the pools that river their way across the resort, to the white sands on the beach, the resort was absolutely beautiful. The pools and garden are constantly tended to ensuring that everything stays clean and beautiful.
What makes this resort stand out however, is their staff. The service my friends and I received were well beyond expectations. We were greeted by practically everyone. All the workers are very happy and love to sing and dance. Even when they are alone! Everyone also gets very happy and excited when you order their local drink Mamajuana, which really makes the atmosphere and experience so much better!
I'd like to give a special thank you to the following staff members:
Karen from the entertainment team. She'll sit at your table with you and treat you as if you were good friends. She's always singing and dancing and full of energy. You'll never be bored when shes around.
Fernando from the pool bar. He's one of the nicest people you'll ever meet. He'll go out of his way to make sure you're enjoying yourself. As long as you're in or near the pool, you'll rarely find yourself without a drink!
Carlos from La Habana bar. He is a master bartender. Of the many Bloody Marys' i had during this trip, nobody was able to make it as good as him. He also made this custom blue drink called the Carlos Azure for my friend which was fantastic. Be creative and let him know what type of drink you want. He'll make it a reality!
And lastly, Vanessa and Juan from the spa. They were very helpful and nice. During the hydro circuit, we were never rushed (even when my friend and I contested on who can stay in the freezing water longer) and were allowed to take our time during the hydro massage and jacuzzi sections. They definitely made this trip more relaxing!
So overall, I would recommend this resort to everyone! It's Excellente!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Will W
Dear Will W

Greetings from Secrets Royal Beach Punta Cana and thank you so much for sharing your valuable feedback about your recent stay with us.

I feel very thrilled that you had enjoyed of a memorable vacations in our establishment and it will be an honor that you join us once again in our hotel, where I will be pleased to give you our warmest service and attentions as well. If that happens, do not hesitate to contact us any time.

Quarryville, Pennsylvania
Reviewed November 11, 2013

To begin, I want to share that I spent hours scouring TripAdvisor for the best resort in Punta Cana that our travel agent offered. I chose Secrets because of the excellent reviews it recieved and it's place on the hotel list. It was our first all-inclusive, though we have done many cruises prior to this trip. I understand that a lot of reviews can be overly harsh and I want to assure you that this is purely what we experienced. No overly high expectations. Here's the conclusion I've come to:

The Good
1. The beach is definitely beautiful. The have cute little hut umbrellas and plenty of chairs (though it is the off season)
2. The BBQ on the beach is SO GOOD. We ate the chicken every single day and it was probably the best meal we had.
3. The side-by-side excursion was so much fun!
4. As honeymooners, we got to have dinner on the beach! It was very beautiful.
5. There are certain staff members who certainly stood out. Henri and Felix were two of our favorites. For the most part, the staff is very friendly.

The Not-So-Good
1. There is seaweed everywhere. I mean EVERYWHERE. This resort is actually on the Atlantic side, so don't expect super clear caribbean waters or neat snorkeling right on the beach.
2. Weird restaurant hours. There are chunks of the day that no restaurant is open on the resort. Lunch usually closes between 3-4 and dinner doesn't begin until 6:30. There might be a restaurant or two on the Now Larimar side (sister resort you have access to) but not really.
3. We aren't super huge drinkers. We drank, but not nearly enough to justify the money we spent. Most of the entertainment are parties in the evening. We did go to the magic show and NFL Monday Night Football on the Beach, but other than that it wasn't too exciting. We went to the Casino which is actually pretty surprising. It consists of two roulette tables, 2 open black jack tables and about 20 slot machines. Not much of a casino at all actually. The entertainment definitely pales in comparision to what you get on a cruise ship. Also know that most shows, shops, the club and the casino are in the Now Larimar complex.
4. The rooms look huge on the website. They're really not. The ocean view is a tiny glipse over the tops of the palm trees. The fan was broken, the hot tub takes an hour to fill and the TV is almost entirely in Spanish.
5. We took a taxi to the Hard Rock Cafe, which is in a shopping cener about 3 miles away, on Friday night because we were craving some American food. We arrived almost two hours later, after the taxi driver took us to the other side of the island to the Hard Rock Hotel. I know it was a miscommunication, but when I asked to be taken back to the hotel, in Spanish, he just shrugged his shoulders and said no. Quite the trip believe me.
4. You CANNOT walk up and down the beach without getting hounded by people wanting to take you to their shops to buy things. You also cannot sit in a chair without people coming around to get you to book an excursion or write a TripAdvisor review for them.

Overall, it was a relaxing trip. The Seaside Grill is definitely the best food-wise. It was a nice time, but we would not come back. I recommend Royal Caribbean cruises over this by a long-shot. At least we know now that the all-inclusive isn't really for us. If you're looking to spend all your time drinking then it's probably a better deal for you.

One other side-note, there are no hammocks near the lazy river and the "hot tubs" at Now Larimar are cold tubs! Don't go in!

Room Tip: Don't spend the extra money for the "Ocean View". It's not.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank 846devanb
Reviewed November 11, 2013

Very clean, beautiful resort ! We didn't even get to enjoy all the many amenities & events. Bring small bills, because even though it is not necessary, you will want to tip the staff for great service.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Jeffrey Mr C

Greetings from Secrets Royal Beach Punta Cana and thank you so much for sharing your valuable feedback about your recent anniversary stay with us.

Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Reviewed November 10, 2013

Beautiful place, nature, pool river and excellent service. Everybody greets you, all are happy people and they all love to sing and dance even if they are alone.
The staff at the bar in the lobby (reception area) are a great family. Carlos Azul! Excellente! I requested a blue drink in a coconut with minimal alcohol, Carlos did his best to make it happen! Even though it was not in a coconut it tasted amazing. I highly suggest trying the Carlos Azul drink!!! Fernando (King Kong), Santo and other Carlos (Osso) will be missed.
Fernando and Derby from the swim up bar will make your drink come true, just describe the type of drink you want and they will make it happen. They also describe Mamajuana the best.
Pedro the night security between the 2 resorts is friendly and lively. Even though our Spanish and his English is limited, we still enjoyed the random broken language and hand gestures.
If you ever go to the family resort next door for the restaurants, there is an awesome waiter named Frey. Above and beyond service and very friendly, practically stole my heart :) If you have Larry as a waiter, you will never have an empty glass :) Excellente!
The Entertainment team with Karen, Akon, Eddy Murphy and Milky Way was muy EXCELLENTE!! :) Karen took the time to sit down to talk with my friends and me, as well as teaching us how to dance. Eddy Murphy is a fun and awesome guy. Akon is a great dancer, but still owes me a dance ;) wait until i return AKON! Milky Way, the man that many women requests and demands. You will understand when you meet him ;D
Entertainment Band of the resort plays great live music almost every night. In my opinion, they are usually under appreciated by the guests. The Circus Show was fabulous! Very impressive skills and talents. Too bad some of the acts were in the background, being over shadowed by the girl lip syncing and looking pretty on the main stage. Personal favourite was the man doing the fire poi act.

My friends and I might have been the only singles in this resort at first. Majority of the people there are couples, but it was still ever so fantastic. You will be pampered and spoiled.

EXCELLENTE!!! MAMAJUANA!!! :D

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
HotelManagerSERPC, Manager at Secrets Royal Beach Punta Cana, responded to this review, November 11, 2013
Dear Bonnie M

Thank you so much for sharing your valuable feedback about your recent stay in our Secrets Royal Beach Punta Cana and thank you for your confidence, your recognition is highly appreciated by my personnel.

I would like if you decide to join us once again, where we will do our best to give you another unforgettable vacation with us, if that happens, do not hesitate to contact us any time.

Reviewed November 10, 2013

The best experience of my life so far .. i had a good time and loved everything about secrets royal .. my favourite staff was topacio very helpful and a good laugh and all other staffs from seaside grill, la riviera the entertainment team where perfect .. i had fun and i will be back soon! ayo

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo

1 Thank Ayokunle M
Dear Ayokunle M

Thank you so much for sharing your valuable feedback about your recent stay in Secrets Royal Beach Punta Cana.

We feel very thrilled that you enjoyed all the hotel facilities at all and also we feel very happy that you had a good experience during your stay.

Through of your comments, we can get the best recognition as one of the best hotel destinations in the Caribbean.

We hope you can visit us once again and it will be great if we can meet you personally. If that happens we will do best to give you a memorable vacations in our luxury hotel.

Secrets Royal Beach Punta Cana
Reviewed November 9, 2013

Very clean resort and rooms. The beach is very clean and the water is gorgeous, plenty of places to lounge and get a tan or sit under a palm tree and relax. I highly recommend the lobster dinner on the beach!!!! This is our second time going to this resort and plan to come back again.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple