“They Know How to Treat You Right”

Secrets Royal Beach Punta Cana
Ranked #7 of 112 Hotels in Punta Cana
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed October 26, 2013

Myself and a group of friends spent my 50th birthday at this resort. It was wonderful. Great accomodations. Great food and drinks. Wonderful personnel. (Karen, social coordinator, and William, butler at our cabana, set the example for all personnel. The were friendly, interesting, helpful, and attentive.) Only room for improvement was the maid service (night turndown service would remove towels and not replace) and while on the beach, the pressure from the activity vendors. But in the grand scheme, loved it!

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank PattyVR

Reviewed October 26, 2013

I was planning a relaxing trip as a surprise for my Husband's Birthday & upcoming early retirement. As UVC members this was our 2nd trip using the club. Everything about this place was wonderful. The staff is very friendly & accommodating. They really went above and beyond to make you feel at home and welcomed.
I give an extra shout out to my new friend Nelis (she's always smiling & happy) that welcomed us from day one. Also my Concierge Doly with UVC, she helped with all our needs, I appreciate that ! Others there that took Excellent care of us;
Hippolita in Housekeeping kept our room so clean & well stocked, Dining hostesses Topacia,Carmen & Abigail, Dining Waiters Santos & Carlos who led the group in serenading my husband on his birthday, thay were great. At breakfast in the buffet Carlos got our morning off to a good start with his winning smile & personality.... loved his "talking coffee pots". Elizabeth in buffet made great omlets. Entertainment staff really put heart and soul into their jobs and it's apparent in the nightly performances, great job !
There are activities included free such as kayaking, windsurfing, snorkel gear etc.we did not use them but spoke to others that did and they were pleased.
The restaurants we tried were ; buffet mostly for breakfast & lunch great food & variety and the cappucino was excellent ! Steakhouse x2 for dinner excellent ! Capers x2 for dinner, again excellent. Didn't get to try others. Wanted to do the Hibachi but needed reservations for that & we didn't know until it was too late ! ( this was our own fault since we didn't read our welcome packet thoroughly !)
We also checked out the Now resort next door and thought it would definitely be a place we'd like to go with our kids/grandkids.
We did a Couples Massage at the Spa (using our welcome bucks) had to coax my husband into it but he loved it as did I.

Overall great relaxing trip! Would definitely stay here again !
Any questions please p m me.

Room Tip: Our room was 5131 first floor pool view had a terrace, 2chairs & small table , and 2 lounge chai...
Reviewed October 25, 2013

We are UVC members and are well traveled amongst the Secrets resorts. This is our 5th visit to a Secrets resort (Maroma Beach, Silversands, Vallerta Bay & Wild Orchid). This was our least favorite of those 5.

Pros:

The staff was friendly. The weather was nice. The sports bar was the best set up yet.

Cons:

Limited ocean view rooms. The layout is structured poorly causing excessive amounts of walks. The food was just ok, nothing earth shattering.

Is this resort for you? That is your decision. Generally a Secrets resort is higher quality than most. You cannot go wrong. But if you are a seasoned Secrets traveler there are better options.

Room Tip: Try to stick to pool view. Do not get garden view.
1  Thank Carolanonmymind
Reviewed October 25, 2013

My wife and I spent our honeymoon here from October 13th to October 20th, the staff was great, the food is amazing and the location is fantastic and the entertainment team is EXCELLENT. We're already thinking about going back with another couple.

Room Tip: If you're a light and early sleeper, I'd recommend asking to stay further away from the plaz...
1  Thank Joe N
Reviewed October 25, 2013

Overall we had a great trip! This resort is perfect for groups in their 30's - 40's. Only complaints were the lack of seating around the pool and that most restaurants require men to wear long pants. It's entirely too hot to have to wear long pants. Even though the restaurants are air conditioned - we have to walk back and forth and sometimes wait outside for a table. Made for some cranky men in our group! Service was outstanding in every area of the resort. Everyone you walk by has a smile and an "Hola" for you. Special thank you to Ramon at the front desk who was over the top fantastic. Also want to mention Mozart Jackson who went out of his way to constantly say hello to us every time he saw us and make sure we we having fun and didn't have any problems. And I wish I could remember our pool server who was fantastic and so accomodating - Fredricko I think. We all agreed we would go back!

Room Tip: My personal preference would to be to avoid a swim up room because of the lack of privacy.
1  Thank Kelley K
Reviewed October 25, 2013

This review has been re-written as my first go was not to some people’s liking.
Let me say firstly that we went as a middle aged British couple for the first 2 weeks of October and that we have been to the Caribbean a lot of times in 20 or so years. This being our 3rd visit to this Island. Whilst there are many 5 star reviews, if you look, most are from one country and I have no doubt that if I was a 20-40 something from there I would probably be giving it 5 stars as well.
So this is based on a Brit perspective for some things, though most does apply for anyone thinking of going to this hotel.

This is the first time that we have been to a resort that is this big and is about 85% Americans and lots of 20-30’s. They are there to party and they do party loudly. Not their fault, I dare say the hotel is sold to them as a place to party.
No travel company in the UK mentions this, it is sold as an adults only, romantic, elegant resort and when you are used to going to more sedate resorts, it can be a bit of a shock, especially when you are having a quiet meal in a restaurant and you have to shout to your partner in order for them to hear you. The pool bar area in the afternoons is definitely a no go area for us "oldies" and non Americans.

The hotel itself is superb in many respects and the fact that you can use everything at the Now Larimar makes it even better.
Staff are mostly great and if you give out some tips in the right places, the service is amazing!

ROOM
The excellent points of the room start with it being very big with a huge bed that was the most comfortable bed and pillows we have had at any hotel ever. 24 hour room service is fantastic, you can order almost anything. The air con is superb and whilst the heat outside means it won’t actually get that low, you can set it to go down to 10 degrees, in Europe you are lucky to get it down to 20. The mini bar is stocked each day and as said, if you want anything or run out of anything, just phone room service and you will have it in minutes.
We stayed in room 5379 which was the second from the end on the third floor of the last block on the right looking toward the sea. Our room was booked as a sea view. In fact it was more a view of the pool, as the layout of the hotel and the trees in the way make a sea view description somewhat exaggerated to be kind. Three things about the rooms to book that you may want to consider. Whilst we were there, our Balcony was always in the shade which we liked, the rooms on the other side of the pool were always in direct sunlight and so would be very hot during the day. The swim up rooms are not really that, you have your own sun beds outside your patio door and then there is a stretch of grass to the Pool. They have allowed of lot of foliage to grow around this area, fine for privacy from your neighbours but the rooms in block 5 get no sunlight (at least whilst we were there) so if you want the sun, you will have to sunbathe somewhere else. Also these swim up rooms can have every Tom, Dick or Harry looking in as they either swim past (I use the term loosely, the pool is only 1.3m deep everywhere) or just spend some time right outside.
The only bad thing with our room was the so called Jacuzzi. I don’t know if other Countries also call this a Jacuzzi, but in the UK, we call it a whirlpool bath, so no bubbles and no privacy. Everyone in the resort knew when people were using their “Jacuzzi” as towels had to be draped over the glass balcony wall for some privacy. Having said that, chuck in some of the shower gel they give you and it can be fun!

POOL
The pool is nice except that even though 95% of the people there are there as a couple, all the sun beds are lumped together in groups. This in our opinion is a serious flaw. They have plenty of space all round the lazy river to spread out some pairs of beds, but seem to prefer to have plants instead. We really don’t want everyone hearing every word of our conversations and also as smokers, we would rather have our own space, so as not to pollute our awful habit onto others. So on the few times we did try the sun beds at the pool, we had to walk away and stand by an ashtray. But at least we only smoke cigarettes, many men were quite happily puffing away on huge cigars.
We then decided to stay on the beach and just walk to the pool for a paddle.
At this point, I’ll just clarify the topless rule at this hotel as given to us by the management, as we had to find out, as when we arrived, there were no topless women anywhere and my wife hates lines. You are not allowed to be topless round the pool, but anywhere on the Secrets side of the beach is fine.

BEACH
There are masses of sun beds, but this was the only area we found where the service for drinks could be poor. If you are in the main huddle, then fine, but on the outskirts and you will probably just have to get your own.
The sand is fantastic and white. For some reason it never got hot to walk on. The sea is very shallow for quite a way out. The only downside that no one seems to mention is that taking the free snorkelling equipment is a complete waste of time. There are no rocks or reefs anyway near, so no fish to find at all! For me, this is a big reason I go to places like this and when the resort shows snorkelling equipment as part of your all inclusive, I mistakenly thought there would be a use for them. Perhaps we are meant to use them to explore the bottom of the Jacuzzi.
Also parasailing, they will tell you, you will be up for 10 -12 minutes, no you won’t, 5 minutes if you are lucky.

FOOD
This is quite hit and miss and there really is no consistency. Though having access to 10 restaurants (though 2 of them were closed each night on a rotation) means that if you can be bothered, you should be able to find something to your liking in one of them at least.
Being British, the thing that we found to be really weird was in the buffets and having various potato and vegetable options, including boiled potatoes for breakfast and then having steak, pork, lamb and beef at lunch and dinner, but not a potato or basic vegetable in sight. This meant you ended up with some pretty strange concoctions.
To give you an idea of the inconsistency, we went to Spice, which is their oriental restaurant, we both had a main meal of Shrimps in red curry. Small portions but very nice and just the right hotness for us. Two nights later, go back for the same and all the shrimps in the curry have the tails on, so you have to pick the tails out of your mouth with every bite and he was really spicy hot.
The same type of thing applied to other restaurants we tried.
The big hit though for food was the beach barbeque. The food was fantastic, especially if you sat in the outside buffet area and used both the inside buffet and the barbeque and combined the two together. Anything you want can be yours if you just tip a few dollars.

TRIPS
This is some advise for Brits who go to this resort with First Choice. Don’t go on the Island cruise. It is a total rip off. $169 each and we wouldn’t go again if it was $50.
In short, you get to go snorkelling, good luck with getting one that is clear or you can breathe with. Play with Star fish, actually there are two that you just pass around for a few minutes and then stand around in the water for half an hour. The Island they take you to has mosquitoes and sand fly’s everywhere. Sand beach, then a rocky sea bottom, lunch does have lobster, but food is very basic other than that and finally the catamaran back. This is a bit like calling a cross channel ferry a luxury liner. We had 30 or so people on our boat and there was only room for about 15 to lay out, the rest just had to sit around for two hours. Oh and the drinks department had cheap rum, coke, lemonade and beer and that was it. The main aim of the drinks is to ply you with as much as possible on the basis that drunks always think they have had a great time out. Having been on a real catamaran, swimming with turtles, fantastic buffet lunch and a fully stocked bar in Barbados for the same sort of money, this trip was a complete and total rip off.

Would we go back, possibly yes, as after 14 days we got to figure out what worked for us and what didn’t. But the world is a big place and perfection will be out there somewhere.

3  Thank Mark S
Reviewed October 24, 2013

We returned home on the 19th from a one week trip with friends to this resort. It was my first time at an all inclusive and I was leery as it did not seem my style of vacation (too boring) but it was my friends 40th birthday celebration and she got to pick.
I can say this resort far exceeded my every expectation. From the easy, quick trip from the airport, to check in with Mery, who was friendly and sweet and made us feel very welcome, to Felix who was our server in Oceana and our new friend immediately, to Ana Rosa who kept our room stocked and spotless throughout our entire stay, I was always happy beyond anything I could imagine. We had only cruised before this and if you have experienced that, you can see why I thought a resort would never compare. Well, the service exceeded everything I had ever received. Even at the buffet we were always warmly greeted, my plate was carried to the table several times and my glass was never empty.
But the true jewel of this resort is the entertainment staff. I had read this before but until you experience the level of engagement and energy from this team you can not truly appreciate it. I did not think it would apply to me because I could not picture myself being the person who would get up in front of a group of people and dance or play a game or just relax and be silly. This group proved me wrong. Not a day went by that I did not participate in something and I enjoyed every single second.
I cannot say enough about this team. Johany, Williams, Karen and Gladys always had us dancing or laughing and smiling. I truly felt like we were leaving friends by the end of the week. But the absolute, most enjoyable, friendly, talented and likeable person I have ever met was Mozart Jackson. He truly made our trip something special.
This is a beautiful resort and we would have had a good time regardless but the entertainment crew made it the most enjoyable trip I have ever taken.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank OntarioLimmer
HotelManagerSERPC, Manager at Secrets Royal Beach Punta Cana, responded to this reviewResponded October 25, 2013

Dear OntarioLimmer

Thank you so much for sharing your valuable feedback about your recent stay in our Secrets Royal Beach Punta Cana and thank you for your confidence, your recognition is highly appreciated by my personnel.

I would like if you decide to join us once again, where we will do our best to give you another unforgettable vacation with us, if that happens, do not hesitate to contact us any time.

Warm regards