“wonderful”

Secrets Royal Beach Punta Cana
Ranked #9 of 114 Hotels in Punta Cana
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed October 15, 2013

My brother had his wedding here back in June. The stay was wonderful! beach, pool, service, rooms, activities, events, and food was all good! I had such a fun time with my boyfriend and family. We rented a captain and boat to go snorkeling. The captain and his crew member had great personalities and they made the trip that much better! I would go back in a heart beat!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
HotelManagerSERPC, Manager at Secrets Royal Beach Punta Cana, responded to this reviewResponded October 16, 2013

Dear Abcd777

Greetings from the entire staff of Secrets Royal Beach Punta Cana.

There are no words to express my most sincere grattitude about your valuable and helpfull comments about your recent stay in our hotel.

I feel very happy that you encountered our service optimus during your entire stay with us, your recognition is very important to increase the hotel value.

On the other hand, If you decide to come back , I will be pleased to give you our warmest service and attentions as well.

yours faithfully

Secrets Royal Beach Punta Cana Resort & Spa

Write a ReviewReviews (10,376)

Reviewed October 15, 2013

Have just returned from our thrid visit in nine months to this wonderful hotel. I cannot speak too highly of the superb service, excellent food and wonderful hospitality at Secrets. Staff are extremely helpful and attentive withou being "in your face" - nothing is too much trouble for them. Particularly helpful were Juan Carlos, who unfortunately has now graduated to Secrets Breathless - Marissa in the grill at The Buffet - Wilfredo and Dorling in the Cigar bar and Angel at the beach bar. It is difficult to pick out staff when they are all so kind. The food is great with lots of choices - weather superb - beach fantastic.
The rooms, as ever, are so comfortable - we had a swim-up room this time and it was great tp just open the patio door and go straight into the pool of tepid, clean water. Everyone works so hard at Secrets to make your stay memorable.
Have already booked to return to this fabulous hotel in February 2014 - can't wait!!!!
The best thing about thisplace is NO CHILDREN - absolute heaven!!!!

Room Tip: Rooms in Cielo Azul building are quieter, particularly the garden view rooms
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Jean J

Dear Jean J

Greetings from the sunny Punta Cana, and thank you for sharing your comments about your recent stay in our establishment.

On behalf of our entire personnel, we feel very pleasant that you enjoyed all the hotel facilities at all.

We really appreciate if you join us once again, where it will be an honor to give you our warmest service and attentions as well.

warm regards

Secrets Royal Beach Punta Cana

Hi

Just got back from a 14 day holiday at this great resort. I think I can clearly state that this is one of the best resorts in Punta Cana (3° time we stayed here and 20 times in the Dominican)

The management can be so proud of their staff because this is what this hotel really makes it stand out. EVERYONE is so nice, smiling and helpfull !

so here goes: Mozart Jackson, Eddy Murphy, Karen, Mickey Mouse, JC, Milkey way, Akon, ....from the entertainment team, Santa, Martinez, Ruben, Domingo, Angel, Fernando, Willy,Lenin, Patricia, Jeffery, Junior, Miguelina, Trainee Juan, Trainee Christian, Trainee Stefania, .... the Concierges, Cleaning Personel, .............. You all rock ;)

The food is great for an all-inclusive (if you stay at the Secrets side) and the rooms are comfortable (maybe some people would expect more but not me)

The only comment I have is that the hotel got more quite than the previous times we've visited due to some people complaining which is actually complete [--]. I mean in the past there was some 'louder' music starting at 16:00 at the pool which brought everybody a bit closer together and which was actually fun. Also the beach bar is the only bar in Punta Cana which doesn't play music (even softly ?!) => is this maybe because of the new Breathless resort opening 15/10 ?

If you think this hotel deserves anything less than Excellent? You're probably some of those complaining winers or working for the competition..... anyway shame on you !!

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Jangvos
Reviewed October 14, 2013

We booked this hotel after doing considerable research as we are not fond of Buffet style dining and boasting 8 different Gourmet restaurants between Secrets and the joined resort 'Now Larimar', it seemed to fit the bill. The hotel advertises as an adults only resort, so no noisy screaming kids to spoil the idyllic location.

The hotel has some excellent points which I will cover first.

1. The staff - are extremely welcoming and friendly and are always smiling. They are attentive and make sure that you are looked after well. Whilst they are very pleased to receive tips, they don't hang over you expecting to be tipped as in some hotels we have visited in the past.

2. Cleanliness - The hotel is extremely clean and is constantly being maintained, any damaged paintwork is immediately put right, the edges of the pool and lazy river are cleaned every evening.

3. Location - Fantastic with a beautiful beach at the front of the property.

4. Size - This is a small hotel for the area only having around 300 rooms, having visited 3 other hotels whilst in Punta Cana, this is not the sprawling jungle of apartments seen elsewhere.

So why were we less than happy here and actually were counting the days down so we could go home.

1. Everything about the hotel was fairly an squarely aimed at the North American market, it felt like we were in the US as opposed to the Caribbean.

2. The staff were watched like hawks by the management team and we got the impression that if they made a mistake it could be their last day of employment. Hence we resisted in passing any feedback directly to the hotel as we felt that all the staff worked incredibly hard.

3. Even though the staff were of Dominican descent a significant percentage seemed to have been given English names like Roger, Edward etc., however when we talked to the staff these names were made up - why does the hotel feel that the guests would prefer to see English names?

4. The Entertainment team worked extremely hard, but in our opinion the content in general would have been better suited to a holiday camp such as Butlins or Blackpool Pleasure Beach as opposed to a luxury 5 Star Resort.

5. The Swim Up bar area was monopolized every single day by extremely loud and raucous 25 - 35 year olds , getting drunk and playing pool games to the total exclusion or consideration of other guests who may have liked to use the facilities, but felt uncomfortable to do so.

6. The Restaurants : -

Firstly both the service and quality was far superior in the Secrets Resort compared to the restaurants in the Larimar. However due to the size of Secrets there are only 3 gourmet restaurants which are quite specialized so you need to eat in both resorts to provide variety.

Across all restaurants there is a major problem with serving food piping hot, the word tepid would be more apt.

a. The Buffet in Secrets. : - We only ate here for breakfast : The choice was excellent and the fruit was fresh. The Buffet put large amounts of food in heated trays, but only replaced the trays when empty, meaning the food would sit there for considerable amounts of time. They also brought out large trays of bacon and Spanish omelet, but these were left in the open to go cold as were the waffles and crepes. There was a separate omelet station cooking fresh eggs and omelets which was good.

b. The Grill in Secrets. : - Probably the best restaurant in the resort with pleasant service and well cooked steaks - recommended.

c. Oceana Fish Restaurant in Secrets : - Also very good with very good service.

d. The Sushi Bar in Secrets :- we didn't dine here so I can pass on no feedback.

e. Spice - Oriental Restaurant in Larimar - This includes 3 Teppanyaki Barbeques, which are rotated with people all night. Not only are these full of whooping noisy diners, but it is considered entertainment to throw rice balls from the grill into the air for the diners to try and catch in their mouths - Yes really !! The food however was good so we decided to eat their for a second time in the 'A la Carte' part of the restaurant - we left after being left for 15 minutes with dirty plates and no wine, despite the restaurant being half empty.

f. Mercure - French Cuisine. - Vastly removed from French Cuisine, lousy food and even worse service.

g. Bluewater Grill - Poor quality - waste of an evening.

h. Temparillo - Mexican - Food quality was poor. The 'Sizzling' Fajitas were clearly added to the skillet after being cooked and believe you me there was no sizzle!

i. Capers - Italian. Tried this twice as the restaurant had a nice ambiance. The First Visit we had to send the Osso Buco back as it was cold and clearly reheated. The Second visit we had the pasta which due to the lack of flavour or fresh herbs, I wouldn't be surprised if the sauce wasn't tinned.

Overall if you like proper quality and not something that pretends to be quality, then you will avoid this resort altogether,

Room Tip: Choose another hotel
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
6  Thank Tricky2210
Reviewed October 14, 2013

This place was great. The food was really good and the service was excellent. Beautiful beach with bathtub warm water. It was a pretty short ride from the airport too. We would definitely go back. This was a no kids getaway for us and it was perfect for that. It does share the beach and amenities with one of their other resorts that has kids. They are not allowed in the Adults only area so it works out fine. You just need to make sure you sign up for the catamaran and other water activities that are included early so you can get them when you want. We did not have much of a problem with it. The place was great.

Room Tip: Closest to the beach of course.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Ken_from_Denve

Thank you so much for sharing your valuable feedback about your recent stay in our Secrets Royal Beach Punta Cana and thank you for your confidence, your recognition is highly appreciated by my personnel.

It will be an honor if you decide to join us once again, where we will do our best to give you another unforgettable vacation with us, if that happens, do not hesitate to contact us any time.

Warm regards

Secrets Royal Beach Punta Cana Resort

Reviewed October 14, 2013

We just returned from Secrets Royal Beach, Oct 10-13 and had an excellent time! The rooms have an island feel, are clean and the beds are comfy! We stayed in the garden view rooms which I am glad we did because they faced away from the pool and entertainment at night. It was really quiet and private on the balcony which have an outside jacuzzi tub! The beach was beautiful except for the seaweed. But the water was warm and beautiful! Staff will bring you drinks right on the beach but sometimes it took awhile to get...island time! The pool was really nice and the pool bar is great! plenty of chairs under umbrellas at the pool and beach! The drinks are great but they are inconsistent. Sometimes they look and taste different than the last one you ordered. But if you don't like it...order another! That is the great thing about all-inclusive! The food was good! breakfast is always my favorite! lots of choices. My husbanded loved seaood stew at lunch in the buffet! we didnt love the seafood resturant but really enjoyed Capers and the sushi resturant! Now the entertain staff is by far the best!!!! From volleyball, painting, water balloon fights, dancing and the AMAZiNG shows at night...by far the best we have ever experienced!!! Mozart Jackson was amazing as MiChael Jackson in one of the shows!!! The dancing and acrobatics were excellent! Everyone was really friendly! This resort is not a crazy party scene! The pool bar is the loudest area but not crazy! ! it is quiet on the beach, relaxing and lots of fun at night! Loved not having to make reservations for dinner!

We booked a zip lining tour through apple vacations which was a lot of fun! Just be prepared for an long ride....they told us 45 mn ride to the mountains but it ended up being almost 2 hours. But it was worth it! The zip lines were high, fast and safe! Beautiful forest, mountains and you even go over a river! Would do it again!

Now the only compliant or down side to this resort...I did not like when we first arrived that they wanted to sit and talk to us about having a meeting for a timeshare and after every activity they wanted to talk about filling out a survey. After just traveling for hours I wanted to get in my bathing suit, get a drink and relax! I think it would be better for the resort to invite us to a dinner and then talk about a time share after we have had sometime to check out the resort.

Overall, if you are looking to relax during the day and have some fun at night with adults only than this is a great resort!

Room Tip: We stayed in the garden view rooms on the 3rd floor 5374...quiet and private! Closest building to th...
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 14, 2013

Whist I had a fantastic time overall, most of my enjoyment was down to my time spent at Now Larimar the sister hotel next door. I found Secrets a bit too small and at times a tad boring. The main pool area was far too small and unless you got up at 8 in the morning to secure a lounger, there was little hope and this was in low season September.

Enjoyment is relative and for those who want a more chilled environment it is fine. I am in my 30s and enjoy a bit of both. We actually found that when we did want to relax and guarantee a lounger / umbrella it was better to go by the Secrets preferred club area just off the beach between the two hotel (it was accessible to all SRB guest so not sure why it was called this). I don’t think many people knew about it as whenever we were there, only a handful of other couple were around which meant the pool bar service was excellent. We could then pop over to Now for all the daytime activities.

I had a few frustrations. Firstly there was a newsletter giving an overview of the days activities. However it was not clear that most of them happened at Now. Sometimes there would be an activity at Secrets but it was never clear what was happening and we ended up hanging out at Now with the bigger pool, and better daytime entertainment (foam parties, Zumba, water balloon fights. Shows in the pool) only coming back to secrets (Preferred Area) when we wanted downtime or top shelf liquor.

We also had many problems with our room – toilet broke 3 times, safe broke, fridge broke. All was resolved quickly when reported but it is not good enough for a 5 star. By the end of the week there was mould on my shoes and I could not be asked to report yet another thing and move rooms. We were located right above the entertainment Plaza which whilst extremely loud between 6pm-11.30pm was not a problem as we were out. However had we wanted to make use of the Jacuzzi there was no privacy to do this.

The entertainment was hit and miss at Secrets, whilst I loved the efforts of the entertainment Team (a special applauso to Mozart Jackson), it was sometimes painful to watch them try to get people to participate. Also there were times when they would have native bands singing renditions of English songs. I would have much preferred to hear them sing songs in Spanish. Sometimes it reminded me of the infamous Utube clip “Kenlee” (a Bulgarian lady singing a Mariah Cary song which she clearly did not know the words to LOL) .

Overall, part of me feels likes paying the extra for Secrets was not worth it . The entertainment at Now was better day and night. (a big shout out to Chocolate, Rihanna, and Jay Z who were so much fun and really made our time enjoyable). The a la cart restaurants at Now were better (I recommend the French and the Italian) I had to walk out of the Sea Food restaurant in Secrets after a second course was served that was way too salty. Our buffet was on the small side and they need to invest in better food warming facilities as food was always luke warm. The quality of the towels were better at Now (not a bit thing). The room was dark, shower water went everywhere, marks on the wall where bugs had been squashed. These are little things that should not be issues in 5 stars and can so easily be fixed

With all the problems we had with the room, the small pool area and confusion over what was happening when, I don’t feel it was worth what we paid.

I am not saying it was a bad hotel. The service at both hotels is fantastic. All staff from buffets waiters to maids to Entertainment Team are fantastic and really do keep me thinking positively about my time spent in DR as a whole. The main issues with our room were unfortunate and had they happened within a small space of time I would have requested a room change, however I just think it is overpriced as due to the size and lack of restaurants/entertainment, you may end up spending a lot of time at cheaper sister hotel next door. If you are one to get up at 8am to get a lounger, then are happy to chill at pool all day with little music or entertainment, this could be perfect for you (hopefully you would have better luck with your room).

I would 100% go back to DR as I loved the people, country and especially the music/dancing. However unless I got an exceptionally good deal, I would probably look into staying at Now and possibly upgrade to the Now Preferred Club as unfortunately SRB did not quite live up to my expectations.

Room Tip: Try to get a room away from Plaza if you want peace and privacy to use your jacuzzi
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple