“Heaven~ !!”

Ranked #7 of 110 Hotels in Punta Cana
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
“Heaven~ !!”
Reviewed June 27, 2013

We have been to many beach vacations. By far, this is the best place for the white sand beach and excellent hotel service. I can say don't waste your money to go to Fiji, Punta Cana Secrets Royal Beach offers you so much more than any hotel in Fiji could offer you.

We were greeted by the friendly staff everyday. The room is clean and specious. The food is first class. They have 4-5 restaurants in Secrets, it's also connected to another hotel which has 4-5 more restaurants.

The most amazing part of our trip is the service we received from all the staff members. They went beyond our exceptions to accommodate us and make us feel so special! They don't want you to worry about anything, they kept saying" This is your vacation, let us do it for you:) "

I Can't wait to go back next year!!

1 Thank Gracie G

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,417)
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Chester, New Jersey
Reviewed June 27, 2013

My wife and I stayed at Secrets from 6-11Jun2013, and took this trip with my parents who are all-inclusive junkies. For us this was our first experience with an all inclusive resort. I do travel quite a bit, usually for business and mostly in large chain hotels. When my wife and I travel for pleasure, we often stay with a small group in a condo unit, or we look for a B&B. We also have one Eastern Mediterranean cruise experience. So do consider that our travel style may influence my outlook.

First let me say that I enjoyed my stay and many things about hotel. They've been testified to repeatedly in earlier reviews: The staff are great, and everyone works very hard at what they do. The pool was very nice, and sitting on the beach was a welcomed retreat! I also want to give recognition to the events staff who brought us the activities that kept many of us entertained and fit (note that 'Stretching' on the beach with Mr. New York will quickly morph into a mild version of Power Yoga - loved it)! I will say too in a positive way that I disagree with the difficulty in getting chairs. Outside of the pool bar area I was able to sit pretty much anywhere I wanted. If towels were left behind, other guests would usually be kind enough to tell you which chairs had been unoccupied for several hours. So kudos as well to my fellow guests! And bottom line it was a great time spending a few days on vacation with my parents for the first time in forever! Let's keep that tradition going!

However I do have to agree with some of the points brought forward by others such as cmr R, whom we actually met one day at the pool at the beginning of their stay and towards the end of ours (sorry your trip didn't turn our as well as you'd hoped either). I'll share a few of my opinions here, and I've sent these forward to the folks at Secrets as well in the event that others feel the same. Folks have praised, folks have bashed.... let this review be a light hearted open letter to past and future guests and the good folks at Secrets to see if maybe the resort can be tweaked for everyone's benefit......

First folks - It is OK not to be 'Excellente' all of the time! You see the word in many of the reviews.... the staff are trained to respond that way when you ask them how they are, and they hope you respond in kind and will show disappointment if you only say bueno. After a while though it begins to become artificial. For example, it isn't necessary for the evening entertainment staff to try to rally the audience by shouting "Excellente" throughout a performance. Personally I was amazed by the acrobats or musicians and their skill all by myself. Seriously I found this distracting. And while everyone remembers the very popular Mr. New York (who was very good at his job), or Martinez at the Marlin beach bar, I think my favorite employee was the server on the beach who didn't try to get my wife to order alcohol after she ordered a water (she is in early pregnancy). Part of it was language barrier, but explaining this biological anomaly didn't usually register with the other servers when you ordered non-alcoholic beverages. Our favorite server on the other hand listened to the reason why my wife wasn't drinking instead of just frowning and shaking her head as some others did because we weren't 'relaxing' and feeling 'excellente'. She was genuinely excited for us, and told us about her three children. Each day forward she took a few seconds to meet and talk to us, bring us a water, touch my wife's mini-bump and wish us well. It was nice to share that time with her and I'm ashamed for not remembering her name. She's was one of the most "real" people I remember from the staff. In all honesty, by the end of the trip I got a kick out of telling the staff I was only good, and worked on them to get them to admit the same... I got a lot of smiles from a lot of the staff. Let the people be people.....

Food & Restaurants: I know many Trip Advisor reviewers enjoyed the cuisine and the buffet in particular. I can't say the same. Freshly cooked food at the buffet and grill was good. Ice cream though should not be the same thickness as milk. French fries (at the grill) shouldn't be chewy. At the end of the trip I must say I just didn't want to go to eat anymore even with the number of choices available. This was also in great part due to getting sick three days in, and anything that went in from that point forward........ Maybe this was just bad luck or it was my time, but my stay at Secrets/Punta Cana was the first time after being on five different continents that I had such stomach issues for the last few days of the trip and for many days after returning home. Another thing, and it would have been a deal breaker if I knew ahead of time.... for the love of God stock something besides Presidente! When I wasn't on anti-diuretics, I actually hit the wall on beer. I didn't know that was possible.

Elegant Casual restaurants - Folks, the restaurants with this dress code require long pants. Why? I move that the code be adjusted to allow dressy shorts. I brought nice shorts and sandals that looked a lot better than the than the 'code meeting' jeans and sneakers that others wore. I'd bet most guys and ladies that have been in the pool or on the beach or participating in activities in the sand don't want to have to put on long pants or on at night in the tropics for restaurants that were warm to begin with (this was more an issue at the Larimar next door where several of the dining options were). And this is the Dominican Republic after all.... I think there is room for compromise here.

Rooms: Being that we traveled with my parents, it was easy to compare notes. Our room did not have slippers with the robes (had to request). Our room had no remote control for the television (had to request 3 times over two days). Our room was only once over 5 days stocked with chips (we took the chips from our parent's room - I even saw someone's picture on this site show chips in the fridge.... guess I under-tipped the Pringle guy). Our room was missing a bedside mat for getting the sand off your feet (I remember cmr R tell us there room had no mats. On the first few days, our room wasn't stocked with the full compliment of towels (had to request two times - the first time there was a misunderstanding of which towels we needed). I know housekeeping must be very busy and they work crazy hard & have to wear those maid outfits in the heat.... do they perhaps need a checklist? Or maybe someone should come through before a room is provided to make sure things like television remotes and the correct number of floor mats are available instead of leaving guests to chat in the pool and compare what rooms were stocked with what.... maybe resources can be diverted away from the sales people?

Also I understand humidity is a reality in the Dominican Republic, but it would be good if the rooms didn't feel damp all of the time. Improved HVAC could be a long-term improvement to the facility. But because of the dampness and lack of circulation, the bed always felt a touch damp, there was an odd smell coming from the stained couch in our room, and the smell of the scented bleach used on the floors tends to linger. I would have liked to have left the door open for a few hours for fresh air but with the air conditioning automatically stopping with the door open, and no screen it wasn't a realistic option to try to bring fresh air into the room. In the end I tried to avoid my room as much as possible because I just was not comfortable being in there :-( I do agree with other reviewers that a bit more lighting would have been beneficial as well.

Sales and language: I found it funny that the people who spoke the best English were the people who were there to sell extras as opposed to the people who were there to help. I admit that as a guest in your country I should have done more to learn your language before arriving. But considering how many English-speaking guests you have, I would think at least the front desk staff would have better skills in English. We figured out quickly enough to ask veteran guests for the ins and outs, and tried to pay it forward when we saw new folks trying to figure out how to get to the buffet.

I did not attend any presentations outside of the one provided by our AmStar representative (we booked through Apple). We met with him after checking-in, and after the Secrets representatives got a hold of us and told us to return to the lobby the following morning for more orientation with AmStar and the hotel. The AmStar representative told us that there was no need to attend any further meetings and to enjoy our vacation. I'm glad we had that info because as you've read in other reviews there were many people who were quite upset with missing out on activities on their first morning because of sales events that were disguised as orientation and hospitality events. I'm very glad my wife and I chose to stretch with Mr. New York on the beach instead. Secrets - be honest about your product instead of tricking people into attending a sales presentation - you will get only the interested people, and others won't be left upset when their 90 minute orientation turns into a 2.5hr sales pitch. Not cool!

I do think it was funny how the two tour companies (SeaPro on the beach and Amstar in the lobby) would speak disrespectfully about one another's tours. My wife and I were approached by 'Frank the Tank' from SeaPro while relaxing on the beach (and we listened to his stories and his trip options). When we went to ask the AmStar people in the lobby how their trip to the same place compared.... they accused Mr. Frank's company of misrepresenting themselves on many points. Both companies are listed in Secrets Daily Events schedule.... so not knowing who to believe and having avoided the Time Share pitch we decided to save our $$$ and just stay put. I will say for the two tour companies.... if the tour to Santo Domingo would have made stops on the way to and from the Capitol instead of driving 3+ hours straight through.... we would have gone on that tour. Also admittedly with my wife being pregnant we avoided the adventure activities. Note: per our AmStar rep, you can't swim with the dolphins if your pregnant because they won't perform and instead will circle a pregnant woman in a protective formation. I thought that was a cool fact but we decided not to test the theory.

Speaking of sales, why were there no outside merchants (perhaps approved by the hotels) allowed on the property or beach for souvenirs? Is this not part of the experience?

One last item I wanted to bring forward that has nothing to do with Secrets but really had me boiling: After being dropped off at the airport for our flight home, the luggage kid who rolled my bags from the shuttle to the counter made comments about my tip not being enough. A group of ladies who were part of the souvenir photography group physically restrained my wife so that they could capture a photo (my wife thought they were security based on the location near the security lines)... And the gentlemen playing music and kicking baskets in front of us for tips as we left the gate for the tarmac to board the plane was just over the top. People are leaving their vacations to go home. They don't want to be insulted, they won't be dressed for a photo, and the last thing an airline passenger will want to do is feel obligated to search for money and hold up a line of impatient people who want to get on the plane. That's not the last impression the Dominican people want to leave for their tourists is it?

So long review, mostly good times, but some rough spots along the way that made me knock a couple stars off.

3 Thank borisow
Flagstaff, Arizona
Reviewed June 27, 2013

Upon arriving at Secrets, we were immediately handed a towel and a glass of champagne and told "welcome home." Our check-in went smoothly and we were transported to our room. The staff did an incredible job of making our stay "excellente." The entertainment team works incredibly hard and always has high energy. There were games on the beach and by the pool everyday. There were great shows every night. Cheveron, New York, and Usher were very friendly and made our stay even better. We enjoyed all of our meals at the different restaurants. La Riviera (buffet) was delicious! They switched up the meals every night, with different themes, and we were never disappointed. Ramon was a great server and made us feel welcome each day. Tamarindo, the Mexican restaurant, was also very good. My husband and I highly recommend Secrets Royal Beach to anyone who is planning a trip to Punta Cana.

Cleveland, Ohio
Reviewed June 27, 2013

This was our first time in the DR and our first time staying at a secrets resort. Overall we were very happy with our stay. We went for our honeymoon and when we arrived everything was waiting for us. After we got settled into our wonderful room overlooking the ocean (and after having a long day of traveling) we wanted to go swimming in their wonderful lazy river but we were told there was no swimming after 7 due to cleaning. This was a bummer--Maybe even having it open till 10 or 11--7 was way to early!! But the pool was awesome!! Room service was good but not a ton of choices but it did come fast and all the servers were great!! All the food and restaurants of the resort were good and service was good, our only complaint would be that the servers were not very happy to give us more ice and especially soda. Every time we asked for either it took at least 20minutes at all restaurants. The service at the pool and beach were excellent and all the bars were great. Special thanks to Angel--he was our guy and made sure we always had a drink!!! We loved that we could use the Now Lamiar restaurants and pools and they did an excellent job of making sure only our hotel patrons were allowed in our pools (ie no kids). There were many options for food which was nice. And the place was immaculately cleaned! They always stocked your mini fridge which was great, and the beds were super comfy! The entertainment was good too and they had many options for all ages! The 2 excursions we went on were great except everyone who was working wanted money and were very rude about getting a tip. I don't like to be on vacation and workers who I am already paying hound you for a tip. This was not the case at the resort although it is a little confusing if you are supposed to tip the staff at an all inclusive, some people did and others didn't! We tipped for excellent service! We also used the Spa which was amazing!

This was our first experience at a chain all inclusive and we would highly recommend it!!

Room Tip: Just an FYI to get a seat at the pool you need to put a towel down by 8am otherwise you are out of l...
1 Thank honeymoonjrj
bucks co., pa
Reviewed June 26, 2013

From the moment you land in the airport, you are welcomed and quickly escorted to the resort. Check-in went smoothly and we were drive to our rooms (garden view). I would recommend selecting a room facing the pool or definitely the ocean! We ate breakfast and lunch at the buffet, but the dinners were planned by the couple. One dinner was a bar-b-que on the beach and the reception was held in the club.

The resort is adults only which is nice. I have to commend the staff: each and every one of them did alll they could to make our vacation such a wonderful memory!

Room Tip: Garden room is OK, but select a pool or ocean front room.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Kingston, Canada
Reviewed June 25, 2013

My wife and I along with another couple stayed here in May and really enjoyed ourselves.

The good: great beach, great staff (especially Medrano at the beachside grill), good shows
The ok: the food was hit and miss. The steak at the grill was excellent, the buffet (can't believe I am saying this about a buffet) was also excellent but the french was mediocre, the italian OK, and the 'pay extra' lobster dinner was terrible. Talking to others, most agreed that the buffet was so good you might as well just go there. We like to change up our meals and as a result were a little disappointed. Breakfasts by the beach were very good as they again mix up the buffet regularly and what a great setting.

Lunch at the beach side grill was excellent everyday. They mix up their bbq and if you were nice (tip) some delicious shrimp would show up. We looked forward to lunch every day.

The beach is huge and we played some volleyball. The staff was great and made sure everyone enjoyed themselves.

All in all, would go back for sure.

Room Tip: Had a room facing outside and it was fine.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Limestone637
North Royalton, Ohio
Reviewed June 25, 2013 via mobile

We have been going to punta the last four years...stayed at Iberostar Bavaro for the first three and this time Secrets. Secrets is much more modern the lazy river is awesome,but the beach is nice but I think there was too much activity with the water sports...beach drink service was good the sand was good but I liked the other one better.The pool at secrets was top notch and we loved the lazy river that's where relaxing came in and we meet Angel and Junior...top notch employees funny polite and made you feel special.The service all over was great from room service bellhop and front desk,maids,restaurant servers AND even at now larimar is was good . Food at the buffet was very good as well as room service.We ate at seaside grill good,mercure above good ,spice not so good I think it was our chef...blue water grill not very good and the Mexican tominardo was fair,they tried to Americanize the menu at these places but still needs work.I can say breakfast was great and Mercure we ate there three times was the best...I don't like buffet for dinner on vacation so I can't tell you how it was..lunch at buffet was good.Drinks were good and if you asked they brought you sky vodka ammeretto ...top self liquor ...tropical drinks were good.There are a lot more Americans here. The casino I had a blast it needs more slots...we did good came out ahead....watched the basketball finals in now plaza was fun.This place was a good cross between crazy fun at now and the relaxing at secrets was very quick walk ....was more elegant than Bavaro but somehow I missed the star team and the lobby bar at Bavaro that place has majic at night....the casino there has more slots and the lobby is wow...secrets needs a better lobby bar we enjoyed nows moments lobby bar.All in all the rooms at royal beach better the service better the pool better the food better I loved the seating eating outside on the patio at secrets...would I go back to secrets without a doubt...it was better.I wished someone would of told us about secrets preferred will check that out.Our rooms pool view together on same floor as we asked beds very comfortable and clean clean clean....rooms at Bavaro need up dating badly...just go have fun.......English was very understood by most. No problems with check in or out was so smooth.

• Stayed June 2013