“Excellente!”

Secrets Royal Beach Punta Cana
Ranked #9 of 112 Hotels in Punta Cana
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed June 13, 2013

My husband and I and 2 of our friends just returned from a wonderful week at Secrets Royal Beach! The resort was beautiful the groundskeepers did such a wonderful job making sure everything was pristine! Drinks were a little sweet but if you ask for a "little more rum" they are more than happy to jazz it up a bit! :-) Also make sure you bring a lot of singles because they won't give you any change.

The rooms were very nice! They were air conditioned and spacious. The bathroom shower was great and the outside tub was nice. Beds were VERY comfortable.

Food was good. The buffet had a ton of options and everything tasted good. I'm agreeing with everyone else and say the beachside grill was overall the BEST part of the food! Best burgers and fresh mahi mahi! Capers, at Now, was delicious and also the sushi place Gohan was FABULOUS!!! The Now side had more options so definitely check out that side.

The spa was nice. But my massage was just average. My husband and our friend went on a deep sea fishing trip that they booked through Seapro, and they did not enjoy it. A group booked a trip last minute to go fishing and they let them get on the nice big boat while my husband and the rest of the group had to get on the crappy small boat. The guides were young and unprofessional and didn't let them bait or reel in anything they caught. So be weary of that.

Our most favorite part was the beach and how nice it was. Service was great down there! Also they had so many activities so you don't get bored. There was volleyball, salsa dancing, team building games, and water aerobics just to name a few.

And lastly the MOST favorite part were the staff! EVERYONE was wonderful! We wish we could remember everyones names to tell them how much we love them and appreciate how wonderful they made the trip. New York, Usher, Mickey Mouse, and Akon were so awesome!! They helped everyone have fun ALL DAY! These guys did not stop! They were wonderful!

You don't have to tip any of the bartenders or servers, its not required. But they work their butts off to make sure you have a great time. So please people, tip these guys.

We will definitely be back and cannot wait!!!!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple

Reviewed June 12, 2013

We just got back this past Friday June 7th. It was a great trip, with of course a few minor problems but we did not let that ruin our vacation.

Few good points

1. Room was very spacious and had what we needed in it. Great view of the plaza and courtyard if that's what you want to call it. Beds were very comfortable to our liking.

2. Staff was always saying hello and smiling. Always wanting to run and get you whatever you needed.

3. Food we always found something to eat that we liked. I more pickier than my wife. I am more plain meat and potatoes and my wife eats all different kinds of foods and tries more than I do. She loved the Capers on the Now side. The Grill on Secrets side was just what I liked. A good cut of steak and potatoes!! Buffet was normal lots of different foods and most were always fresh, some how we always was able to hit it when the food was fresh and hot. Outdoor grill for lunch was great.

4. Entertainment Team was excellente!! New York and Cheveron were funny and entertaining and always fun to be around. Great assets to the the Team.

5. Location was great about a 20 minute non stop ride from the airport!!

6. Spa was very nice and we did a couples treatment. Facility was very nice and the different areas of it were nice to see and use.

Some down sides

1. We booked thru Apple Vacations which as most know is part of the same owners as the resort. We had are charter flight from Pittsburgh and we arrived at about noon. Found out that those from Pittsburgh and Cleveland leave the resort by 830am so there was about 3 and half hours to turn those rooms around. Well when we arrived our rooms were not ready and I am sure we are like others. Wanting to get to the room to secure our money and passports and not have to carry around our stuff while trying to get our vacation going (ie...drinking and relaxing on!!) Room was not ready til the normal 3 pm check in time. This was disappointing to us since both companies are the same owners.

2. Did not notice them mixing in the Brugal Rum into all drinks. That rum is very sweet tasting to us. My wife is a vodka drinker and was wondering why it was so sweet as those who do drink vodka, know its not a sweet tasting. Once we noticed this we always made sure to ask for brand specific and not to mix in the Brugal.

3. The shower has no door or curtain on, so water always leaks out into the floor in the bathroom.

4. Be very careful with wet feet in the room, those tiles get very slick and slippery!!

5. AC was not as cold as we would of liked but it was not as bad as some have said in the past. It was cool in the room, just not as cold as we would of liked. Really was not that bad. Its the tropics and hey not everything gets as cold there as we all would like.

6. The dress code for restaurants. I understand them, and hey we are all on vacation and i could understanding having 1 or 2 them having them. But the restaurants did not really have good working AC in there. I am a guy and slightly out of shape and was sweating my butt off in those places due to having to wearing the long pants and collared shirts and shoes. They could look into that also.

We did not do any excursions we only stayed at the resort. Well we did go out to the Hard Rock one night to use the casino and sports book there since we are Pens fans and wanted to see the hockey game that was not shown at the sports bar on the Now side.

Overall we would go back to this resort and will recommend it to others.

We are going to do a different review of the Now side on the Now page. Since we were able to use that side as well.

Room Tip: We had booked a regular basic room and was facing the courtyard area. Are room was right near there...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank fireyankee24
Reviewed June 11, 2013

Excellent all-round Hotel. Large very clean bedrooms. Location, beach & food wonderful. Buffet Restaurant excellent, huge choice for all meals. All staff extremely frieldly and helpful. Entertainment Team fantastic - Fidel, Usher, Akon, New York and Chevron. Really memorable 10 day holiday last month.. Highly recommended. Sam & Barbara. ( Dublin, Ireland. Pensioners!! )

2  Thank Barbara S
Reviewed June 10, 2013

We had a fantastic honeymoon at Secrets! Everything exceeded our expectations and we had the best week!

Our top notes:

1) Staff: The entire staff was fabulous. There were always more than enough staff to help you (aka, no lines anywhere including the bars, your water glass was filled up immediately in all the restaurants, etc). Everyone was also incredibly friendly and helpful.

2) Beach: The beach was gorgeous! There were always plenty of beach and pool lounge chairs (despite what I had read on other reviews- no idea what those people were talking about!). Sure there was a little bit of seaweed, but it wasn't a problem at all.

3) Drinks: The beach waiters/waitresses were great and came around to take drink orders every ten minutes, as did the cocktail servers in the plaza at night (so nice!). The drinks were all good. Some had more alcohol than others, but we had no complaints about any of them. Like I said above, never any lines at the bars. The dinner restaurant servers would replace your cocktail or glass of wine when it was only half full, which was sooo nice and great service! I loved the drinks that you could get in hollowed out pineapples or coconut too!

4) Food: The food was good and there were so many options! It you're a picky foodie, then you'll probably be disappointed (it's not a 5 star restaurant quality) but overall most things were really good. The Seaside Grill was our favorite (great steaks!) and the staff there (I think Oscar was our waiter both times?) was terrific. The beach grill for lunch was soooo good too and served generous portions of such a variety of foods (burgers, chicken, salmon, steak, ribs, hot dogs, paella, etc). At each restaurant we went to, they really made an effort on presentation. The dishes looked very pretty and added to the "special vacation" feeling everywhere we went. 24-hour room service is always a nice perk too. Our only suggestion is-- more desserts! A mid-afternoon cookie or popsicle or ice cream would have been nice (there was ice cream at the buffet, but it was always slightly melted).

5) Pool: very nice and the lazy river was fun. We spent most of our time at the beach though.

6) Room: Huge and comfy! They did turn down service every night, which was nice. The mini bar was always stocked. We had a jaccuzzi tub out back. In my opinion, no need to splurge on the ocean view or swim-up rooms because the regular rooms are just as good.

7) Entertainment: The entertainment staff did such a great job! I don't remember everyone's names, but shout out to New York, Akon, Usher, and Milky Way. My husband loved all the games on the beach (volleyball, water balloon tosses, relay races, etc) and it was really fun to have that option. The nighttime entertainment was great too- we loved the shows every night and were impressed with the staff.

We felt like we got more than our money's worth on this trip! Our honeymoon will bring us nothing but happy, smiling memories.

7  Thank rebecca a
Reviewed June 9, 2013

We experienced 12 blissful, wonderful, amazing, fantastic, relaxing, awesome days at Secrets Royal Beach (and the nights were pretty incredible too!!) From check in to check out our experience was every thing we had hoped.

Before our trip and since, I have read dozens of reviews of this resort and for the most part, every word you read is true. If you are looking for a primarily couples resort (no kids - yeah!!) (oops, was that my outside voice???!!) , where the staff makes you feel welcome and special, this is an outstanding choice!! I would not hesitate, even for a minute, to recommend Royal Beach to family or friends.

We stayed in the Preferred Section of the resort and for the most part took advantage of what that offered. There is a preferred pool, lobby bar and pool bar and a preferred beach area as well. The staff in these areas (as well as the rest of the resort) were exceptional. We especially enjoyed "Enrique for service" and his colleaque Jose - both waiters at the pool bar and the bartender there as well ( I apologize...I have forgotten his name, but he sings non-stop!! You know who you are!!!). The preferred pool is very quiet compared to the main pool, so it depends on what you are wanting from a vacation, but we enjoyed the quietness and the fact that you could find a lounge chair any time of the day. No need to get up early to reserve a spot.

If you happen to stay in the preferred section, also make sure to get to know the concierge staff in the little lobby bar. My boyfriend kept them in business by draining the top shelf tequila, but they were quick to replenish the next day!! The staff takes the time to get to know you and your preferred drinks.

We loved the fact that you did not have to have dinner reservations or stand in line to try to get into the restaurant of your choice. There was never a need to be any where at any particular time. The only restaurant you needed reservations for was Spice...which we did. However I would have to say that the experience was disappointing. Usually the chefs at those kind of restaurants have lots of tricks up their sleeves, and the same old corny jokes...but this was (more or less) just watching a guy cook dinner in front of you.

One tip, for lunches, as others have mentioned - the Beach Grill had amazing grilled meats of your choice (if you don't see it on the grill just ask and they will most likely whip it up for you...). But the one problem was that there was not a lot of vegetable options at the grill so we solved this by getting our meat from the beach grill and then made a quick trip into the buffet to load up on beautiful, fresh salads. You could either eat in the restaurant or take your plate back to your lounge chair. Lunch was always the culinary highlight of the day!

Another tip...if you get a bit of a tummy ache...ask the bartenders to mix you up some "Boom-ba" juice.(that is not really the right spelling or pronounciation but if you ask for it, I am sure they will know what you are talking about). It was a life saver for us...for some reason we both struggled with tummy issues over our stay but could never quite identify the source. It wasn't debilitating or anything, but we didn't want to wander too far from the facilities!!

We did not take part in very many activities. We were there for peace and quiet but that was another wonderful thing about this resort. You could have either. Even though we were not involved in too much craziness, the entertainment staff still took time to stop by and say hi and see how your day was going (shout out to New York for his - almost daily - check ins...)

Another suggestion for a great week, would be to take advantage of the free catamaran and kayaking (free - except for the "insurance" you have to buy - but do the $30 for the week insurance - it is a small fee for some good fun.) Go early to sign up (9:30 AM or close to) to avoid disappointment. They will try to sell you more experiences, and they aren't really that thrilled when you just want to do the free stuff...but, meh, it's your holiday - do what YOU want!!

The beach here is perfect for walking!! Soft sand, no sea shells, jelly fish or sharp objects to dodge and the pitch of the beach is gentle so you can walk a long way without the risk of sore ankles or knees. Of course there is sea weed. It is the ocean people. Not a big deal to us. We enjoyed long walks as often as possible.

The gym is adequate. 5 treadmills, some elipitcals, free weights, matts, balance balls, a couple machines... One recommendation I would have for the resort would be to stock the gym with bottled water and cool towels (in the fridge). It is next to no cost but nothing feels better than a nice cool, damp cloth after a good work out!!

I won't comment too much on the rooms as so much has been said by others...the bed was great, the shower very nice with good pressure and never a problem having hot water. We appreciated the fact that our room was on the ground level and we had 2 lounge chairs that pulled out onto the grass. We never did use our jacuzzi...that was unfortunate, but we just never found the right moment... Another suggestion for you would be to bring along some bug spray and maybe some "after bite". The mosquitos were not crazy but they were present. It never hurts to be prepared.

We also enjoyed the disco on the Now side and the sports bar (which again, another suggestion for the resort - the Sports Bar could use an update with some more comfortable furniture. Typically sports bars are filled with guys and the tiny round chairs are uncomfortable at best for a big guy!! Put some "beafy" chairs in there or some tall pub tables and make it feel more like a bar).

OK - I could go on and on (which I have)...but let me say, just one more time...if you are looking for a great vacation destination in the Dominican this is a very good choice!! You won't be disappointed!!

Reviewed June 7, 2013

We stayed here from 28 Apr - 2 May. The rooms were great! You couldn't ask for better service. Some of the people who really made the stay great, were Juan Carlos, Santos Castro, Yancely Vasquez. Anything you need, these people make sure you have it. Juan was a manager in the restaurants, santos and yancely worked at the preferred club.

Room Tip: We had a room that with a walk out to the lazy pool. Very nice.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed June 7, 2013

Just arrived home last night and I have nothing but great things to say about this resort! It is only about 20 minutes from the air port which is very nice. After reading some of the other reviews we were hoping those people were just hard to please and after staying there I think that's what the problem is! This resort was outstanding! Noticed the same thing last year when staying at the NOW Sapphire in Mexico!

Food-the seaside grill was so good! Ate there twice....calamari was awesome and filet was cooked perfectly. BBQ chicken was great as well. The beach grill was awesome! One of my most favorite parts of the resort. Ate lunch there daily and everything was perfect. You are able to get anything from burgers, hot dogs, steaks, fish, and chicken. They made it super easy since you can just walk up in your swim suit and grab a plate! Definitely take advantage of the NOW-liked breakfast better from there and more options for dinner. We really enjoyed the Italian restaurant but need to be sure to ask the front desk to take you there but it's only about a 3 minute golf cart trip down the road!

Rooms-bed was very comfortable and the air conditioning did get nice and cold as long as you weren't going in and out a lot. Shower was great! We had a tropical view on the third floor which was very nice but we wished we could have been a little closer to the pool but I guess a little extra walking never hurt anyone!

Service-outstanding! These people work long hours in very hot weather and have the most energy I've ever seen. Truly amazing. Everyone we encountered was wonderful and super helpful. Did notice service at the NOW was a little bit slower but still good. Angel was the absolute best server we have ever had. He was so nice and friendly and I became his "sister" midway through the trip! Akon and Mickey Way were awesome as well!!

Pool/beach-both we're great! There were always areas on the beach available but if you want shaded areas get up early and go get them! The pool was very relaxing the main pool was more lively but since its a lazy river style there were more areas you could have that we're quiet but same as the beach-get up early and get a good spot! Can't expect to wait until mid morning and still be able to get a good area around the pool. That's what most people go on vacation for-sun, water, relaxation! The rafts were a great addition as well but you have to get them early or they will be gone but if you make friends they will usually share! Personally, we never had an issue getting a good spot by pool or beach or getting a raft.

Your vacation is what you make it so go and have a great time because its absolutely possible at this resort! Don't sweat the small stuff! Even though tipping is not required we did tip the people that took good care of us because they work so hard for so little and it is greatly appreciated. There is a $10 entrance fee when arriving at the airport but no fee to leave the country.

• Stayed: June 2013