“Loved this place”

GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Illinois
“Loved this place”
Reviewed May 3, 2013

My husband and I vacationed at Secrets Royal, April 20-26, 2013. This resort is only 20-25 minutes from the airport. From the minute we arrived we were greeted with smiling faces and cool towels. I would like to say my two favorite were Alexis our bulter and Willy the bartender. The Now Larimar resort is next door to Secrets and you can go to their restuarants, bars or even enjoy their shows in the evenings. I want to mention that one evening we went to the Blue Water Grill to eat which is on the Now Resort side and our server was wonderful. Thank you so much Jaeramee'l. Also while there we noticed how hard the manager that night was working, picking in the help clear tables, put clean table cloths on, etc. Also loved the Japanese Restaurant! The resort was very clean, staff was wonderful, the beach had some sea weed in the water but not enough to keep us out of it.Have to say we will be returning to this resort!

2 Thank Renee57
JazminRojas, Front Desk Manager Assistant at Secrets Royal Beach Punta Cana, responded to this review, May 5, 2013
Dear Guest,

On behalf of our General manager, we want to thank you for choosing Secrets Royal Beach Punta Cana as your favorite vacation destination and for taking your time to post a review on TripAdvisor.

We hope to have you back soon and have the opportunity to create more special moments for you.

Jazmín Rojas M

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,540)
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Clemson, South Carolina
Reviewed May 2, 2013

I have often referred to TripAdvisor prior to planning a trip. As with anything, people will have various opinions and share their thoughts. People as you know look at things differently. I will base my remarks on my experiences while also holding this resort to the highest standards as I believe we as consumers deserve this.

From my perspective, Secrets Royal Beach pros and cons:

Pros:

1. Secrets is one of the finest all-inclusive, affordable for most, group of resorts in the Caribbean.
2. Rooms are great
3. Beach is good but does have a fair share of seaweed daily. They do a great job of constantly cleaning each day - first with machinery in the early morning and then by rake and wheelbarrow later in the day. There isn't much more you can do the beach is what it is. Sand is beautiful and you can walk for miles.
4. Food is good not great. Great selection though.
5. Good entertiainment and activities
6. Butlers: Mario C. and Steves made our trip. Much thanks to pool beverage servers: Angel, Jeffrey and Junior for their big smiles and friendly nature. Made the trip more enjoyable.
7. Beautiful grounds, well maintained. I do not recall a trip to the Caribbean where I didn't see some type of insect but I did't the entire week. Most resorts have the birds that fly into the open eating areas but not here!
8. Option of enjoying the sister location next door - Now Larimar. Secrets Royal Beach is adults only, Now- Larimar is for families. Those staying ar N-L cannot venture over to Secrets.
9. Spa is very good
10. Room service is the fastest I have ever experienced and the resort was close to capacity.

Cons:

1. What separates this Secrets property from the others is the lack of english speaking and english understanding staff. While as friendly as they can be and as much as one tries to communicate with them in their native lanquage there isn't that relationship building ability one can establish during the week that we can do in Mexico or Jamaica Secrets properties.
1. TIPS - I'm sorry but I have been frequenting All-Inclusives for many years and believe in paying a bit more for services while NOT having to carry cash with me at all. THIS resort seemed more than others to "require" tips secure better service. I understand the staff does not make much and most earn $180US per MONTH. BUT Secrets should consider paying their staff more and not plan on having guest supplement their staffs income to save money.
2. As with all resorts in the Dominican - majority of guests are European.
3. Dress code has men wearing long pants at most of the restaurants. Closed in shoes in the formal ones. Dress code not always adhered to which is upsetting when one abides.
4. Restaurants although air conditioned, I was not comfortable in any of them and found them warmer than cooler. That's just me - but if you want me to wear pants - I need AC.
5. Didn't find the formal restaurants as "attentive" as similar ones in other resorts. Often waited a bit for a drink order and more than not didn't get any inquiries regarding refills!
6. Chairs are an issue - having to wake up early to secure your chair by the pool or under a palapa on the beach isn't my idea of having a relaxing vacation. We spent the last part of our evening planning a who would get up and take care of the towels and chairs.
7. Floats - simply not enough and guests secure them and bring them back to their rooms at night so that they have them the next day.
8. Pool is small. Lazy river helps but limited as far as space available for chairs etc...
9. Somewhat confusing initially as to what is "additional" and what is included. Red and white wine included, white zinfindel additional.
10. Excursions seem to be planned around being hounded by vendors and often designed to include vendors. Once again, I understand the need for people to make money to survive. Just bothersome to some degree when you just would like to enjoy what you pay for.

All in all a great resort with the limitations I have mentioned. If traveling to the DR I would recommend Secrets Royal Beach.

12 Thank Bob G
Dear Guest,

Thank you for such a detailed review about your experience with us, services, facilities and hospitailty in general, we really work hard to make everyday better experience for our costumers and really appreciate and value your feedback, as that point for us places of attention for improvement.

Reviewed April 30, 2013

First time at an all inclusive and first time at an ocean beach other than the gulf of mexico. I found the food to be good with some places better than others. The hibachi grill was ok but I wouldn't bother to make reservations and go again. It was just ok. The grill on the beach was great and we ate there for lunch almost everyday. The seaside restaurant was great, we ate there a few times and had lobster and steak. The pool was great although getting up at 7am to get a seat was annoying. Probably worth getting a swim up. The beach was nice but I was expecting less seaweed. Seemed to be quite a bit. But the water was blue and the sand was white. All the waiters and waitresses at the pool, beach and restaurants were great. When you initially check in they spin you off to a guest services lady who at first seems to be there to help until you realize she is trying to get you to a breakfast where they try to sell you a timeshare apparantely. We found that very annoying. Especially when the guest services lady turned rude and pouted when you said you were not interested. Suddenly she was of no assistance to you. As others mentioned, our room was HOT. Would not get below 77. 3 people came out to fix but that was no help. Stay out of the casino. The blackjack dealers are crooks and Secrets should fire all of them. I caught them numerous times miscounting cards, trying to clear the table when the dealer lost, exchanging chips wrong, etc. The odds were more to the house's favor which I expected but I didnt expect them to be crooks! If you book through Apple Vacations, the coupons are pretty much worthless. So don't decide on the place because of the coupons. Gimmicks. Don't bother getting pesos, US $ is fine. The airport rips you off on the exchange rate. The resort offered a better rate. All said, it was a fun trip but had the potential to be 5 stars. Take the advice of bringing US $s, stay out of the casino and don't expect much from Apples coupons!

• Stayed April 2013
3 Thank Rinaldo123
Dear Guest,

We really appreciate your comments regarding your stay with us and your experience in certain sections. Thank you, because these feedback is what help us to see further and take actions that keep increasing our services quality.

For us will be a real pleasure to receive you back and make you have a great vacation once again.

Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed April 30, 2013

The Resort... 5 Stars. Meticulously maintained, Pool spotless, Facilities clean and very nicely appointed

The Staff.... 5 Stars. Everyone was excellente'. and always polite and willing to help

The Room.... 4 Stars. Clean and well decorated. Room Service was SPOT on! and fast. Only negative we had the entire time was it took 15 minutes before the shower would flow Hot water.

The Food.... 4.5 Stars. We loved all the restaurants, The sushi place was the weakest (they didn't have Sake')

Room Tip: First number of the 4 digit room is the building. Next is Floor. last two are room so: 5384 would b...
3 Thank Smchaels
Dear Guest,

We are delighted to read that, all our services, property cleanliness and staff friendliness where up to your expectations and we are really thankful for your feed back, as we know there is always room for improvement.

W hope to see you back with us soon and you enjoy one more time your vacation with us.

Dallas, Texas
Reviewed April 29, 2013

Just returned from an amazing vacation at Secrets Royal Beach in Punta Cana. Ditto what most other positive reviews have already stated. The resort is beautifully maintained and the staff is incredibly friendly (especially Francina Rodriquez in Weddings, Claudia in photo shop, and Wilton in the NOW Buffet!). They went above and beyond to make us feel welcome and to make sure that we had a great experience. We stayed at Secrets which I recommend as you get use of BOTH facilities. Capers was our favorite restaurant although Wilton's service at the NOW buffet brought us back there numerous times. Make sure to pack some nice attire as people tend to dress up at night as most restaurants have a dress code that is stricter than others I have seen in the Carribbean.The beach was great and well maintained as well. We had a diverse group for a wedding and everyone in various age groups had a great time. There was truly something for everyone! Rooms are very comfortable - nice bed and bedding that is changed daily. Bright colors in the rooms really add to the ambiance. We will definitely go back and will definitely use Secrets for other vacations we book.

Room Tip: Highly recommend Secrets if traveling without children. And the "Preferred" Rooms are well...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Kristen H
Dear Guest,

We are delighted to read that, all our services, property and staff friendliness where up to your expectations, as our main goal is to satisfy all our costumers and our best prize is your feedback, we feel so proud of it. We also appreciate your comments on the services received on Now Larimar, as a sister property we value our guest enjoy being able to use their facilities too.

Middletown, New York
Reviewed April 29, 2013

Well where do I start, we booked at The Now Larimar but was upgraded to Secerts Royal beach because of a e-mail sent by my husband explaining some health issues. The BEST upgrade ever received. SECRETS was the best place I have ever stayed and I have stayed in many places and many different Islands including 5 times in Punta Cana. From check in to check out (very sad day.) Thank you to everyone we came in contact with at Secrets. Everyone working at the resort loved working there to make our vacation the best ever, we felt like they were working for us alone, too many names to mention. Our room was very clean and comfortable. The grounds were perfect. The restaurants were clean and served some of the best food I ever had on a vacation. The bars kept the drinks flowing and all were yummy. The beach was clean and Beautiful,thank you Santa for your wonderful service. Usher thank you for the great spanish lessons they were very helpful. Congradulations to the mangement and the staff at Secrets Royal Beach Punta Cana. I will always recomend this to all family and friends that want a GREAT vacation. Thank You again.

3 Thank Carolyn2024
JazminRojas, Front Desk Manager Assistant at Secrets Royal Beach Punta Cana, responded to this review, May 1, 2013

Reviewed April 29, 2013 via mobile

I just wonna thank everyone in this great hotel who made out vacation feel like Paradise, 'cause besides the perfect facilities it is the people like Ben, Isabel, Jonathan, Zamora, ... who make u relax, smile and enjoy every breath there!

• Stayed March 2013
1 Thank Hadzhivalchev
ear Guest,

We hope to have you back soon in this paradise and give you more special memories to remind.