“3rd Secrets trip, all wonderful” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Secrets Royal Beach Punta Cana

Secrets Royal Beach Punta Cana
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Av Alemania S/N | El Cortecito, Bavaro Beach, Punta Cana, Dominican Republic   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #10 of 108 Hotels in Punta Cana
illinois
“3rd Secrets trip, all wonderful”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2013

Beach was beautiful and very big. Yes there was some seaweed, but hey, it's the ocean.... Lots of seating at beach and pool. People reserve really early but we always found seats and which ever we wanted to go to that day. Juniior will help you with anything you may need at the pool.
Ate at several places and at both Now hotels. French and Italian places were wonderful. Japanese wasn't our favorite, but we thought this at the Jamaican one too. The new sushi restauant was fantastic if you're a fan or this. Fresh and delicious. Had lobster cookout on beach too and that was also good.
The activities people were always there to make sure you had fun if you want to join in. We really enjoyed Santo, Akon and Chely. They have an extraordinary amount of enery and are always happy.
Took the yoga on the beach several times with their guest instructor Kathy Shirley. Was a wonderful way to start the day.

Room Tip: We were right next to night activities by lobby. Noisy late so not good for early sleepers.
1 Thank tmichelle83
JazminRojas, Front Desk Manager Assistant at Secrets Royal Beach Punta Cana, responded to this review, April 1, 2013
Dear Guest,

On behalf of our General manager, we want to thank you for choosing Secrets Royal Beach Punta Cana as your favorite vacation destination and for taking your time to post a review on TripAdvisor.

We are delighted and very pleased to read that, as other Secrets, we where up to your expectations and our services where above and beyond your expectations, as our main goal is to satisfy all our costumers.

Please, do not hesitate to contact us before your next visit or going to any of our sisters properties.

Jazmín Rojas M

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,982)
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Minonk, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2013

Very nice place to vacation. My wife and I went back this year to enjoy the nice beaches. The staff was very good to our group. Make sure you find Ranfi who is on the Secrets entertainment staff. He helped us have a even better trip.
When it's time to do the water sports the man to see and trust is Frank The Tank. He works with Seapro and is another great guy. He will take the time to talk to you and answer all your questions.
Enjoy your trip, we sure did !

Room Tip: Spend the extra buck for pool view.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review, and the satisfaction of knowing that, our services, beautiful beaches and grounds as our staff friendliness made up your vacation even better.

Please, do not hesitate to contact us before your next visit in order to arrange you a warm welcome back home.

Cincinnati
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

Just finished our fourth annual visit since it opened four years ago. Obviously we wouldn't go anywhere else. People ask, "why do you keep coming back". Resident Manager, Clara, set as her mission "to provide memorable moments". It's accomplished by the friendliness of the people, from front desk, to food servers, to butlers, to concierges, to housekeepers. And a facility that is first class in every way, including restaurant choices and meals for every palate. Put this on a beautiful beach with activities available for anyone's choice. We will go back for a fifth time!

Room Tip: higher floor for best views
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank SamsterCincinnati
Dear Guest,

We are delighted and very pleased to read that you have enjoyed your vacations and once again we where able to create Memorable Moments for you, as you mentioned, our guest satisfaction is our main goal and your feedback and happiness is our best prize.

We will be waiting for you on your 5th visit, please do not hesitate to contact us in advance to arrange, as always, a warm welcome back home.

NEW ENGLAND
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

This was our 1st time in DR. and Secrets Royal Beach was a perfect choice. The resort was absolutely immaculate. All the staff was very personable and friendly. Not pushy. The beach bar was great and the pool bar was alot of fun especially at the end of the day.We met alot of friendly perople. My husband and I just went to relax in the sun so we did not participate in any activities but there were several if that is what you want. Although I did do YOGA on the beach with an instructor.
Entertainment was okay. Jazz like music outside every evening. The JEERK show was great.
Food was very good as we didi not expect it to be. The buffet was great every morning and lunch. The outside grill was also great. Burgers, chicken, steaks, seafood on the grill! NOW Larimar restaraunts were okay but the others were better. The Italian and Seaside Grill were out favorites along with the buffet. Wines also were not too bad for house wine and delicious expresso and cappachino. Top shelf liquors at the bars.
The room was nice as expected. Very clean with outside deck. Ladies bring hair conditioner because they do not supply it, only shampoo, soap and bath gel. We stayed at NOW Sappire in Mexico last year and the same products were supplied along with hair conditioner! We stayed on 2nd floor which tended to be loud in hallways at nite since everththing echos, people and carts from staff. The bed although was comfortable along with the linens.
There is alot of seaweed on the beach but the staff did their best cleaning it up. Better than the sorrounding resorts did. We had to get up at 6-7am grab a beach side hut. Pool side huts/chairs I believe were the same.

Room Tip: Upper floors more private. But alot of hallway noise. We stayed in 5240 which was 1/2 way in betwe...
    • 3 of 5 stars
1 Thank MARSQUARE
Dear Guest,

We are delighted and very pleased to read that you have enjoyed your vacations and you where able to enjoy a very nice - relaxing time with us. Thanks for all your remarks, as we know there is always room for improvement and your comments help us to identify our opportunities points.

We hope to welcome you back in a near future with us.

Dublin, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

Me and my wife stayed for 2weeks at the beginning of December 2012 and was a package all inclusive with flight and all booked with FirstChoice.co.uk travel agency. The place.the hotel.the staff.the food.i.e. absolutely brilliant. Few problems on return flight...but nothing to do with the place we stayed. Really guys...I could right a hole book about this hotel, its just paradise. Read loads of comments previous booking and was 1st time for us in RD...its no better pkace to be on the hole island.100%.There're some crazy fussy ppls who can leave some stpd reviews sometimes but we always try to read between rows. ..and compare..thats how we choose our holidays. This place its all u can imagine from a holiday...and to add this little x-tra: its child free zone!! No kids alowed.If u think going with kids also, the NowLarimar its just beside it, ,basicaly same compound but they cant entry secrets royal area..beach I.e.
We had lovely wedding on the beach, nice romantic dinner, professional video and photo shoots...really recomend. Loads of water sports to choose from, spa, 5restaurants to choose dinner akso. Its crazy place...loads of evenings entertainment shows...ik im tired. One more think: Don't miss out!! Again....
Its paradise! !!!!!!!!

• Stayed December 2012
3 Thank koppatroppa
Dear Guest,

We are so glad to read about your amazing time during your vacation with us and more than proud to know that you felt like being in an absolutely paradise. We really appreciate your feedback and comments about all our different services.

We hope to have the honor of welcome you back soon and give you more special moments with us.

Ingersoll, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

Travelled to Secret's Royal Beach from January 7-14, 2013. Our party consisted of 3 couples, ranging in age from 25-35. I picked the resort, because I do a lot of research with the hope of finding a "perfect vacation". My boyfriend and I stayed at Secret's St. James in Montego Bay Jamaica last year and loved it so much we wanted to try another Secret's property. The Royal Beach is one of Secret's newer properties and it appears that they are constantly making improvements under the new ownership. Here is my review, I hope it helps:

Location:

20 minutes or so from airport, on Bavaro Beach (one of the best beaches- this is where you want to be if you're a beach bum.) Many resorts stretch across this beach. Beautiful location, no complaints.

Check-in:

Check-in went smoothly, welcome champagne upon arrival. All three of our rooms were ready immediately. Bellboy brought our bags to our room and gave a brief overview of the amenities.

No timeshare sales pitch, though they do offer the coupons if you attend their presentation- we were not hassled in any way.

Room:

Lovely! Rooms are large and airy. We had tropical view which faced outwards toward the resort next door. #5118, #5120, #5126 I believe... Some review called this "facing the service road" though I do not agree it should be described like this. It is a stone walkway/path with beautiful shrubbery and flowers sitting tall enough to block any view of the resort next door. There were guards that walked by on that path, though no less private than facing the resort while guests walk by. Knowing that the Guards patrol the area so well makes me feel safe and I appreciate it.

I was also pleased to find that there was no strong mildew or musty smell like there usually is in tropical climate. This could have been a lucky room, but I expected worse. I always bring a small travel Frebreeze just in case. To complain about the dampness and smell is silly in my opinion anyway- look at what it's like there. Just stay home. So for those who are worried, this wasn't an issue for us.

Beds are so incredibly comfortable, I woke up thinking I was home sweet home on numerous occasions. Best sleeps!!

Pool/Beach:

Grounds are beautiful. Lit paths wind through the resort from the promenade to the pool/beach. The pool bar is situated at the end of the resort, closest the the beach. A lazy river (not exactly connected to the pool with the bar) winds up through the resort. The water is clean, pool is well maintained. Pool is not heated so was cold to get in at first but warmed up nicely throughout the day, very refreshing.

Floats are available for use on a first come first serve basis. Some decide to bring them back to their rooms to keep hostage for the next morning which I think is rude and if seen on someone's balcony they should be taken away. Because of the lazy river and the swim-up suites, a lot of these floats are never available for others. Rude people also stash them under their butts on their pool chairs while they either lay there, or go for lunch.

Pool chairs are sparse, especially around the swim up bar which is where I prefer to spend my time. They are gone by 8am. Chairs on the beach are plentiful and you would never have a trouble getting one regardless of what time you get there.

Sand is white powder, the sea is several shades of blue. During our trip there was some seaweed washing up. Keep in mind this is all dependant on the weather, the time of year, and is not something the resort can stop from happening. They make an effort to clear it away.

Food:

My stomach didn't agree with all of it and felt a bit off at times (this NEVER happens) I usually have a very strong stomach. Wasn't bad enough to make me physically ill, but I could tell something was off. Foreign country, foreign food- just not used to it I suppose.

You can eat at Secrets, or you can visit the Now Larimar next door (family hotel = kids) I really think this is an awful setup. Why would I pay the price for a fancier, adult only hotel, and then go off to the next door (cheaper, with kids) resort for most of my meals and entertainment? Secrets was limited for food options (buffet, sushi, steak, seafood). The Italian, Mexican, American Grill, French, and Japanese Teppanyaki are all on the Now side. They need to change this. A guest paying a substantial amount more money for an adults only vacation should get just that- with just as many options for dining and entertainment as your other Secrets properties.

All in all, the food was okay but could be better. Most of the Restaurants on the Secrets side were good.The buffet at secrets was great. The beach grill for lunch was amazing (steak, fish, chicken, burgers, hotdogs, fries, etc.). The restaurants on Now side were less than impressive, which is why a Secrets guest should have to go there to eat (and with not much selection on our side, it's hard not to.. I like to try a different place every night).

Room Service:

Didn't try it personally. Some in our group said it was good. Some said not so good. The menu had things like nachos, spaghetti, burger, etc.

Service:

EXCELLENT!!! Can't say enough, definitely made our trip! All staff we encountered treated us as friends and really went out of their way for us. They remembered us from day to day, came to chat, had our drinks ready and flowing, came to get us when a special event was starting.

Entertainment team: Cynthia, Mario, Ysabel - Most outstanding (need a raise!)
Bartenders: Domingo, Jose - So great! (also need a raise!) Let us play our iPod at the pool bar!
Pool Server: Henry (thanks! - from Barbie 1, Barbie 2, and Barbie 3)
Restaurants: One who stood out and deserves mention is Deana in the Bluewater Grill on Now Larimar side. We pulled the manager aside after our dinner to tell him what a wonderful employee he has. She was truly warm, friendly, and went above to make us feel welcome. Even brought us takeout boxes because we were too full for dessert.

Entertainment:

Check the Sundial each night (you'll get it in your room upon turndown) It is a newsletter of events for the following day. Each day there are several things going on around the resort, both during the day and at night.

As I said before, the entertainment staff was excellent. Lots to do going on around the resort both day and night.

Drinks:

Drinks are good and plentiful. Premixed frozen drinks from slushy machines, bartenders just add whatever booze you want. No issues with requesting Absolute, Smirnoff, Malibu, Bacardi, etc. Grey Goose was not available (I was looking) I didn't notice what kinds of Whiskey/Rye they had as I don't drink it.

They served the drinks in coconuts or pineapples on certain days. It was neat!

Management: Need more pool wait staff going around.. No fault of the servers but the pool is just too large to get from one end to the other and back again for timely refills. We only saw two people (one going up one side, one going up the other) and walking the length of the entire pool ( lazy river through the resort) trying to carry as many drinks as they could.

Well, there's a very honest review. I tried to be thorough, as those are the things I would want to know before booking. I would have happy to answer any additional questions! We had a great time. I will try somewhere new next time, but not because I didn't like the resort, because I like to try new places! :)

Room Tip: Only a few true oceanview rooms. Beware, the price may not be worth the upgrade.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars
12 Thank kourt_02
JazminRojas, Front Desk Manager Assistant at Secrets Royal Beach Punta Cana, responded to this review, March 18, 2013
Dear Guest,

We are really please with your detailed review, thank you for all the remarks you have done from our services, staff and information is very good for other travelers and help us to take a look at those highlighted points that can help us, as we know there is always room for improvement.

We hope to have you back with us very soon.

St. John's, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

First time visiting Dominican Republic and Punta Cana. Secrets Royal Beach was amazing! Staff where very friendly, made you feel very welcomed. The level of service was extremely well done especially the dining personal. Very attentive to your needs and always with a smile. Rooms where spotless with some very nice touches. Would highly recommend this location if your looking to have a 5 star experience!

The only thing I really didn't like was the VIP sales people, EXTREMELY in your face to the point we felt very nervous, uncomfortable and pressured. This won't deter us from going again but we will be aware of these people in future.

Room Tip: Spend the extra few dollars and get a room on top floor facing the ocean.
3 Thank neuro929
Dear Guest,

We are delighted and very pleased to read that you have enjoyed your vacations and all our services during your stay. We regret those inconvenient with the VIP Services, but we will pas those comments to the concerning department.

We hope to have the honor of your visit soon again and give you a warm welcome back home.