“Great Getaway”

Secrets Royal Beach Punta Cana
Ranked #6 of 112 Hotels in Punta Cana
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed March 14, 2013

My wife and I took a brief 4 day getaway to Punta Cana at the beginning of January and were very pleased that we chose Secrets Royal Beach. The service was excellent from the greeting at the door to the house keeping staff, everyone was happy and attentive. When we arrived we were offered an upgrade to a Junior Suite Swim-up room and we gladly accepted. A huge benefit to this room was the "reserved" pool lounge chairs. Other guests seemed to lay claim to chairs around the pool early in the day and then left them vacant, but "claimed" so late arriving guests were left to wander around looking for any available chairs. Our chairs sat right outside our room and two steps away from the lazy river. Cocktails were served to us on a regular basis by a smiling and fun wait staff around the pool. The beach was nice, if windy while we were there. The food at the resort was okay - we managed to find something decent on each menu. The grill at the far end of the beach/pool was our favorite for lunch. Oceana was our favorite restaurant that we visited. The nightly entertainment was fun. As this was an adults only resort the age of the guests tended to be a little bit older, but that was fine with us. Overall, I'd recommend this resort if you are looking for a nice relaxing upscale getaway with very good service.

Room Tip: If you can swing the extra price, go with the Swim-up Suites - the lounge chairs coupled with the pr...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
JazminRojas, Front Desk Manager Assistant at Secrets Royal Beach Punta Cana, responded to this reviewResponded March 16, 2013

Dear Guest,

On behalf of our General manager, we want to thank you for choosing Secrets Royal Beach Punta Cana as your favorite vacation destination and for taking your time to post a review on TripAdvisor.

We are delighted to read that our hotel facilities, services and staff friendliness where up to your expectations and everyone went above and beyond to make from this a great getaway for you.

We hope to have your visit again soon and assure you a great vacation time once again..

There are newer reviews for Secrets Royal Beach Punta Cana

March 12, 2013

If you are even remotely entertaining the idea of staying at SRB – go, and go without hesitation!!!

This was our third trip to Punta Cana, and our second stay (consecutive years) at SRB. Being “welcomed home” was a perfect touch and we are already putting plans in place to return next year for our honeymoon … enough said?! We think so!!! For those of you who want a little more detail, here goes:

Sometimes it’s the simple things…
The short and sweet of it is that this resort and its staff have it figured out!! Our arrival began with a warm welcome, a cool cloth, and a glass of bubbly. Our luggage whisked away by incredibly pleasant and professional bell hops who delivered it right to our room (with complete peace of mind!), leaving us free to check in (which was a breeze) and check out our room which was nothing short of AMAZING!!! … and so it goes, we were off to a fabulous start!!

In 150 words or less this resort…
…is new and modern with an excellent layout (not too big and not too small, but just the right size!), has rooms with spectacular views and luxurious beds (not to mention the walk in shower which is beautifully tiled and to die for, how great to look forward to after a day on the beach!), and grounds with lots of green space meticulously kept. The beach, with its endless supply of chairs and palapas, is beautiful turquoise water with white powdery sand that you can walk for miles on. The Spa is a must (a little gem tucked away inside this resort). The food and wine good -- our favourite meals might have been the simplest, on the beach with lunch from the grill. Being literally in the sand at the beach it was possible to be in a swimsuit from morning to night - - Genius!

If that isn’t enticing enough, then there are the people.…
SRB has phenomenally hard working, polite staff who alone inspire us to make the return trip.
We extend all our gratitude to Nelis (smoothie master, La Riviera) who was always bright and cheerful and knew us by name within the first two days, to Mery (hostess, Sea Side Grill) whose smile and inner beauty melts our hearts -- it was great to see her again after our first visit last year -- and Carolina (waitress, Sea Side Grill) whose initial shy personality dissolved the moment we reached out to her and gave her a chance to look after us, beautiful; to Juan Carlos (Oceana) who clearly loves what he does -- it was great to renew acquaintances -- and to our new friend Zamora (La Riviera, Gohan), one of the most cheerful people we’ve ever met!, to Yolenney (waitress, beach) who always referred to us as “mi amor” (how sweet!), to Jose A., Ishmael, and Junior (pool bar), always a step ahead, making killer drinks that were ready before we even ordered, to Andrey (evening waitress, the plaza) who is expecting a baby next month and whose work ethic / service / spirit were outstanding! we still wonder how she does it, and to Joel (beach grill) who cooked amazing fish and broke down any language barrier with his personality and service alone! Phenomenal, each and every one…

An extra special thanks goes out to Steves who was assigned to be our Butler … though we still don’t really know what to do with a butler! Steves we hope you read this and know that you made Valentine’s Day, the anniversary date of our engagement (proposal at SRB last year), incredibly special. For that (you know what we’re talking about!) and every thing else you did for us all week, a very warm-hearted thank you!!!

Finally, the overall feeling and general vibe of SRB wouldn’t be possible without the Management. We give our deepest appreciation and admiration to Clara (Resident Manager) and Esther (Reception Manager) who were working even before we arrived to make this trip special for us. We were incredibly well looked after, treated like royalty, from beginning to end.

Parting Words
Clara … thank you for everything. We loved getting to know you and look forward to planning our stay with you again next year.

Until we meet again,
All our best,
Jeri and Tim (Winnipeg, CANADA)

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Guest,

We are delighted and very satisfy to read that once again, our hotel facilities, services and staff friendliness where up to your expectations and everyone from our property went above and beyond to make you fall "In love with Secrets Royal Beach".

We will be waiting for you next year to celebrate your honeymoon and please, do not hesitate to contact us in advance to define all details.

Reviewed March 14, 2013

What a beautiful place Secrets Royal Beach is, the most friendly staff and awesome beachs and restaurant. I was there 8 days and i didn't want to leave. My best friend and I bought a membership while we are the with Unlimited Vacations for a screaming deal. If you go you will want to speak with NOEL, he is great, and tell him Michele Butler sent you. He will make it worth your while. Dont forget to visit their SPA the pool and services are Magnigicant!! As far as excursions go, if you become a member they are at a discounted price, and the two that we went on were Dr. Fish and Ziplines excursions, both of them were top notch and I would do them both again. Like I keep saying this was the most excellent vacation ever and I have been to quite a few places.

Room Tip: Pool view or become an Unlimited Vacations member and get a preferred room with ocean view. To beco...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends

Dear Guest,

On behalf of our General manager we want to thank you for choosing Secrets Royal Beach Punta Cana as your favorite vacation destination and taking your time to post a review on TripAdvisor.

We are delighted to read that you had "the best vacation" time with us an enjoyed all our services. As a new member of UVC, we hope to have your visit often to enjoy this Caribbean paradise, your home away from home.

Reviewed March 12, 2013

I took a solo trip to SRB March 5-10th and had a wonderful time! This was my first trip to Punta Cana and am very happy I chose SRB.

Room

I arrived at around 2 pm and my room was ready. I had emailed the resort about a month earlier with specific room requests and it was honored, so I was very pleased with that. I had a tropical view room in the Cielo Azul building that faced the courtyard. The room was very close to the lobby and the courtyard, however, with the patio door closed, I never had an issue with noise from the nightly performances. In fact, being exhausted from a long day of traveling, I passed out at 8:30 pm the first night while the performances were on and I am light sleeper.

The room was always cleaned by the time I returned from the beach in the afternoon and all the products and towels were well stocked. I also left a note in the mini-fridge requesting extra water and that was honored every day. I personally don't care for or need turn down service, so I left the do not disturb sign on the door when I came back from the beach and was never bothered.

I used the patio jacuzzi quite often and it was wonderful. The jets were strong.

The beds were the most comfortable hotel bed I've ever slept in. The pillows were perfect.

Food/Drinks

I ate at the La Riviera buffet for breakfast every morning and it was delicious. I enjoyed the omelets they made and they even made egg white omelets by request, which I appreciated. I ate at the buffet once for lunch and liked how they had made to order fish and meats available.

My only disappointment with the buffet was for dinner. Although they had a salad bar, I felt that the selection was severely lacking in vegetables. Even the minimal vegetable selections they offered were not very appetizing. However, I did voice this complaint to Jonathan F, so hopefully, they will have a better selection next time. Besides that, the buffet had a vast selection of food, however, I preferred the a la cartes.

The best food of all was the beach grill. I ate there everyday for lunch and one day they even had grilled lobster! I wish I stocked up because they ran out of the lobster quickly.

For a la cartes, I ate a Seaside Grill, Oceana, and Mecure (on the NOW side). Seaside Grill was my least favorite, but the filet I got was delicious. I asked for medium well, but it was a little too rare for me. So I suggest maybe asking for well if you do not like your steaks bloody like me. Oceana and Mecure were delicious. I never had to wait on the SRB side, but Mecure was a 1.5 hour wait. It was worth the wait though.

All the drinks were also wonderful. They have a drink menu if you can't decide and I never had to request premium liquor because it seems like that's all they had. Even on the NOW side, they had pretty much the same liquor selection. I was always able to get Stoli or Absolut over at the NOW.

Beach/Pool

I spent all of my time at the beach because I'm just a beach bum. SRB definitely has the best beach compared to the surrounding resorts, which I saw on my daily walks. The water was very calm the whole time and the sea grass was constantly being cleaned by the staff. The water isn't as clear as what you would find in Tulum or the Bahamas, but still beautiful.

I didn't really like that the constant solicitation by the on site excursion sales people though. Just be firm that you are not interested in an excursion and they will leave you alone.

I only hung out at the pool at the swim up bar which was awesome. The service was always great at the pool as well as on the beach.

I never had an issue finding a chair on the beach at any time of the day, but chairs at the pool were definitely hard to come by.

Entertainment

The nightly courtyard entertainment was fun. I really loved the courtyard set up and the quality of drinks that La Habana bar made. The cocktail waitresses were very prompt with my drink orders.

I also went to the NOW side often for entertainment as well. I really enjoyed the JEERK show and the sports bar on the NOW side. Personally, since I'm in my late 20s and went solo, I should have stayed at NOW and saved some money because it was more lively and I liked the sports bar and lobby bar, but having access to both was the best.

I went to Eclipse, the nightclub, a couple times and it was really fun. Probably one of the best night resort nightclubs I've been to.

Notable Staff

The majority of staff members were extremely cordial and helpful. However, there were a few standouts: Ranfi (entertainment team), JC (entertainment team at NOW), Ismael (pool bar), Lenin, Fernando, and Santa (beach servers), and Carlos (NOW sports bar). Unfortunately, I can't remember everyone's name, but service was always prompt.

Overall, I really enjoyed myself, made new friends, and relaxed!

Room Tip: Request a room the Cielo Azul building. It is away from the service road.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo
10  Thank JCT1025
Reviewed March 12, 2013

My wife and I celebrated our 20th wedding anniversary at a Excellence resort march 4 - march 11. our trip was the GREAT!!!. After lengthy discussions, we believe that the one component that made it so wonderful was the people who work at the resort. Every employee we encountered was smiling, helpful, and often humorous. Our first night at the resort, we met Willie the bartender at the sand bar by the pool. he is full of energy, and works hard to ensure that everyone has a perfect drink. My wife asked him if he Knew how to make Sangria so he did and it was the GREATEST ever, He really helped us get acclimated to the resort when we first arrived, and took good care of us until the end of our vacation.
second, about the resort-- it is truly beautiful. The pictures on your website are accurate so when we got there it was picturous, the property, beach, pool, buildings are all very well maintained. The rooms were spacious and very clean. We stayed in room 3255 at the resort the service was wonderful. Special thanks to our maid service Mary and Modesta who went above and beyond to make our stay easy and enjoyable. and for the entertainment cant say enough SUPER EXCELLENTE Ysabela and her crew, the dancers a new show every night,
Thumbs up- The beach was very nice and relaxing- very accessible to our room and adjacent to the restaurants and dining facility. The service from the restaurant was excellent, in fact the staff at the food service are very down to earth, caring and accommodating- we enjoyed carrying a casual conversation with them while food is being served. Oceana, seaside grill Excellent
and others to brag about our poolside waiter Enrique Ramirez (Numero UNO) Thumbs down- Concierge selling time share information, was suppose to be a 90 minute presentation and they told us that they will respect our answer yes or no the kept pushing and for what taking away from our vacation we no thanks after 20min. we asked how much bottom line outrageous stay away from them.....just the 20 minutes of our vacation was bad. we will return next year same time
Thanks, Dina and Ray

2  Thank ray m
JazminRojas, Front Desk Manager Assistant at Secrets Royal Beach Punta Cana, responded to this reviewResponded March 15, 2013

Dear Guest,

We are delighted to read that you had a "super excellente" Vacation time with us an enjoyed all your time with us. Thank you for your remarks on behalf of all the staff members mentioned in your review. We regret the little issue with the Vacations concierge and we will pass this information to their superior to take corrective actions.

We hope to have you back with us very soon and assure you an amazing time.

Reviewed March 12, 2013

We were well cared for by the front lobby guest services representatives Jorge y George (Real, ha!) since we arrived on March 1, 2013.
We stayed in a junior suite on the 2nd floor, 5246 - which is in the middle buildings between the lobby and the other end is the pool/beach/restaurants. This building was the perfect spot - on one end is the lobby or walkway to Now resort and the other way is toward Secrets restaurants, beach, pool, etc...Not too loud and not too remote!
I have a list of great service we received so I will update this review later! Does anyone know the name of the woman in Secrets at breakfast that was in charge of the Smoothies? Vita-mix blender area? We loved her! Such a great personality and helpful!

Room Tip: We had a "garden view" on the 2nd floor - Quiet, faces the south, and a tree line that blo...
1  Thank MoMooney

Dear Guest,

We are so proud to read that our staff and services went above and beyond your expectations to satisfy your desires and you enjoyed your time with us.

Please do not hesitate to contact us before your next visit in order to arrange a warm welcome back home for you.

Reviewed March 11, 2013

My husband and I stayed at this resort 2 years ago and came back again (March 2013). The resort is even better than it was 2 years ago. When you first arrive to check in you receive a cold wash cloth to cool off and glass of champagne. In the room you receive 2 bathrobes and slippers, a bottle of rum and fresh fruit. Rooms are beautiful as well as the bathrooms. Excellent food, beach, pool, landscapes, friendly staff and excellent service. Turn down service at night with rose petals on the bed and chocolates. Will go back again.

Room Tip: Rooms near the lobby are loud due to entertainment at night.
5  Thank pmb201147

Dear Guest,

We are very satisfy to read that this new opportunity you gave us to serve you was up to your expectations and you and your family - friends enjoy your vacation, as you where happy with all the details we prepare to pamper you.

We hope to have you back with us very soon, please do not hesitate to contact us before your next visit in order to arrange a warm welcome back home for you.