“We were not disappointed - it was wonderful!”

Secrets Royal Beach Punta Cana
Ranked #8 of 112 Hotels in Punta Cana
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed January 12, 2013

My husband and I just returned from a five night stay. We booked a package with JetBlue and got a great deal plus miles on the plan.

We arrived by taxi before our room was ready and the staff were friendly though the desk clerk was not. She was confused that we did not use the airport transportation or a package from one of the big chains or have paperwork with us. Her supervisor stepped in and was much better and very welcoming.We were passed off to Daniel who was trying to get us to go on the tour of their resorts with the coupons etc. this is something we really dislike about Secrets. We were tired from traveling and this is no way to begin a vacation. Daniel was great - we just dislike being greeted with the sales pitch.

We were given a first floor garden view room, which we really enjoyed. We agree that the first floor was great as we could enjoy walking over to the pool or lying on the chaises by our room. The closer to the beach and pool bar, the more crowded, loud and active the party. We enjoyed the quieter end of the resort, but agree that a first floor room off the pool would be ideal. The room was lovely, but dark and could use a lamp in the corner by the sitting area. The housekeeping staff was excellent as the room was clean and fresh and amenities and towels kept stocked. At some time during the week housekeeping took the robes with the towels and didn't replace them, but we didn't miss them enough to ask for more. A tip to secrets- the robes are too heavy and hot for the climate. A thinner robe would be preferred.

The ground were beautiful and well cared for. We were surprised that the grounds crew was landscaping during the day and sprinklers running when people were out and had to quickly leave where they were lying in the sun near their rooms. The Secrets Silversands completed those chores before we had breakfast.

The pool was beautiful and we enjoyed it so much. The "lazy river" allowed many people to be at and in the pool but have privacy too. There is another pool that is closer to the beach and has the pool bar, etc. that was the louder party area which many people were enjoying.

The beach was beautiful, but windy this time of year. Plenty of chairs and places for us to get some shade or sun.

The lobby bar was quiet unless there was a rain shower, but even then lots of tables and couches for relaxing.

The plaza was excellent. A fountain during the day was transformed to a small stage at night where there was live music and shows with bar service. The lighting was lovely, the servers friendly and attentive to our needs, the breezes flowing through the palm trees with the stars above. A wonderful way to spend the evening. We enjoyed all of the music and the shows, especially the circus. The entertainment staff was very good and knew well who to engage in their antics and who was happy to watch from the sidelines. We only left the resort to look around at the adjoining resort and see the excellent show "Jeerk" but much preferred the adult only ambience of Secrets.

We went to one restaurant for dinner, but were surprised to enjoy the buffet more. The food was delicious and plentiful and there were many choices including a grill with meats cooked to order if you prefer. Each night was themed, such as Mexican night or Dominican night, but there are always choices such as pizza, chicken, burgers, etc. for those who wanted them. I tended to eat the fish and shellfish. The mussels were delicious as was the mahi, tuna, snapper, etc. We also enjoyed the plentiful fruit. We agreed that they could use a new pastry chef as the desserts were not great especially any cookie, cake, crust of a tart, etc. they also had several flavors of ice cream.

The view from the restaurant was beautiful during the day as they have two levels looking out to the beach. Our only complaint was that it was quite noisy at night and that could be remedied to make it seem less like a cafeteria.

We used room service for breakfast a few times as I like my coffee when I wake up! Room service was quick and efficient and the servers were friendly, but we had a few times that they did not answer the phone and we had to call again.

The mini fridge was always stocked but never really got cold, even after we called to complain. But we mostly were drinking water so it wasn't a big deal.

We had servers bring us drinks at the beach, pool and plaza. At the beach we liked Enrique, who was very attentive and friendly. Our favorite server by far was Naomi who was attentive and always had a smile! We think the pool servers did not go up to the far end of the pool often enough and could also see who is out in the sun by the garden view rooms occasionally.

Overall, it was an excellent resort with great amenities and we hope to return in the future.

Tip: Bring a good supply of one dollar bills so you can tip the maids, those who stock the room fridge and your servers.

• Stayed: January 2013
6  Thank LuvnCouple
JazminRojas, Front Desk Manager Assistant at Secrets Royal Beach Punta Cana, responded to this reviewResponded January 15, 2013

Dear Guest,

On behalf of our General Manager we want to thank you for choosing Secrets Royal Beach Punta Cana for your vacations and taking your time to post a review on TripAdvisor.

We are delighted to read about your amazing experience with us and are glad to know that our main goal have been achieved and your level of satisfactions its up to your expectations.

Please, do not hesitate to contact us before your next visit in order to arrange a warm welcome back home for you.

Jazmín Rojas

Reviewed January 12, 2013

We came to Secrets for our honeymoon the week of 12/16 - 12/22. It was a perfect vacation together, a great mix of relaxing and fun. It was nice to have an adults only resort to enjoy our honeymoon vacation. Our room was very nice and we loved the jacuzzi on the balcony.

The beach was beautiful with stunning views. The pool was also wonderful, I loved the pool layout with the bridges and lazy river style. There were always lounge chairs to use and lay out and lounge floats to use in the pool to float around. There was a bar within very close proximity to our pool chairs and the Pool Bartenders were amazing!! Never had an empty hand as they were constantly refilling and sending over new drinks to us without us ever asking, now that's service! Also never a dull moment with all the servers by the pool. They made the trip extra fun, especially with Bartender Angel - he was awesome and always put a smile on my face! :) Other Barracuda staff that were great were Gendry, Fernando, Ismael and Jeff.

William really took care of us and made sure we were treated well our whole trip, by constantly checking on us and making sure our trip was perfect. He even had some special touches done for our honeymoon and had our room decorated with roses. Also, Steves, Jacky, and Marcelo were incredible and extremely helpful in showing us around and getting us reservations at the restaurants.

The entertainment team made the activities fun and enjoyable as we only participated and volunteered in them because of Speedy, who was hilarious as well as Akon, Micky, Winnie, Chocolate, and Isaias.

The restaurants were great and food was delicious, even the buffet! I loved that there were so many restaurant choices and that we were able to go to NOW and use their restaurants too.

The shows at night were also enjoyable, especially the beach fire dancing show. I also loved the singer in the courtyard.

The weather was perfect and nice to leave the cold of NY. And all in all, the service from all the staff was incredible and they made the trip wonderful! We loved our experience at Secrets Royal Beach, our vacation was fun and romantic!!

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank NYBecky220

Dear Guest,

On behalf of our General Manager we want to thank you for choosing Secrets Royal Beach Punta Cana for your vacation and taking your time to post a review on TripAdvisor.

It is a pleasure for us to read that your honeymoon in our property left a memorable impression on you. As we have a commitment to provide quality service beyond our guests’ expectations, it is a real pleasure to learn that we have achieved our goal. This definitely strengthens our philosophy of seeking the highest level of excellence in all services.

All our staff thank you for your remarks about their services and expect you to come back with us soon.

Reviewed January 11, 2013

I just returned from a week's stay with my girlfriend in the Secrets Punta Cana. We loved the room, friendly staff, and french restaurant. Our favorite staff member was our guy MARIO! He couldn't of been more friendly and helpful throughout the week. My girlfriend and I couldn't say more good things about Mario, tell him thanks again! After Mario and those things, it went kinda downhill. The other restaurants were really underwhelming. The wait at all the restaurants were way too long especially Oceana on the Secrets side. We didn't even go to the Mexican restaurant because every single person we talked to gave it a negative review and we didn't want to waste our time. The housekeeping staff was good the first two nights but after that it went down from there. The bathrooms especially the toilets were not cleaned as they should be every single day.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
JazminRojas, Front Desk Manager Assistant at Secrets Royal Beach Punta Cana, responded to this reviewResponded January 12, 2013

Dear guest,

We are happy to read that you have enjoyed our room, facilities, our friendly staff and regret that our food and beverage services didn't meet your expectations. I'm really surprise to read that you had a long wait in our restaurants on Secrets side. That normally happens on the Now Larimar side, where there is more guest and share the facilities with us, anyway I'm passing this information to our F&B manager to take notes and actions about it.

Thank you for your remarks and helping us to improve our services. We hope to have the opportunity to serve you again in a near future.

Reviewed January 10, 2013

I would like to say that all of the excellent reviews on trip advisor were absolutely correct !! This resort was perfect in every way:

1. Resort - Very upscale, clean, comfortable.
2. Staff - Everyone was very friendly, helpful, and made you feel like a close friend. Even the management.
3. Restaurants & Bars - Excellent service, staff, drinks, and food at all 14 bars & 10 restaurants between Secrets and Larimar.
4. Entertainment Staff - Fun, great things to do every hour all day if you wish.
5. Front Desk - Always very helpful, pleasant, and went out of their way to make sure you were happy.
6. Concierge - Always very helpful.
7. Bellstaff - Very helpful, polite, pleasant.
8. Housekeeping - My room was spotless, well stocked, and neat every day. My housekeepers were very sweet and helpful. The rooms are large and the beds are very comfortable. Jacuzzi in every room.
9. Minibar - Always well stocked and re-stocked.
10. I was very sad to leave, I wish I had booked 2 weeks instead of 1. I highly recommend this resort to anyone !!

Special mention to - Alejandro, Maria, Angela, Jackie, Ognng, Francisco, Fernando (Mandi), Antonio, Henry, Derby, Anna Maria. So many to mention, but I can honestly say, every staff member deserves high praise. They made my vacation "Excellente" !! I will certainly return again A.S.A.P.

I don't have anything negative to say, the weather was 85 every day and sunny with a nice breeze. Water is clear blue, and white sand. Perfect !! Room 5234, good room, good location.

Room Tip: 2nd or 3rd floor, nice garden / ocean view if possible. Ground floor makes Jacuzzi use a bit awkwar...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled solo
12  Thank gmanFlorida

Dear guest,

We are delighted to read about your wonderful vacation with us and thank you for your remarks in every single service of the hotel. We are very pleased to know that our main goal was meet during your vacations and we are excited to know that you will be coming back with us soon.

Reviewed January 9, 2013

This was our second stay in this Resort and, as the year before, a truly great experience!

What is really interesting is that they have opened new restaurants (the Asian one, for instance, is the one not to be missed), and also have improved some little but important details like the amenities in the room.

As I said the year before, they have the best service, food & beverage and staff that I have experienced in the Caribbean destinations (have been in Mexico, Cuba, Venezuela...) and incredible rooms.

Besides that, this year we visited the Spa, one of the best that you can experience in a hotel, real luxury, very friendly and professional staff, and all the services you can ask for.

We have been in other hotels in Punta Cana, but this is by far the best one.

We'll be back, that's for sure!

Room Tip: Do not miss the lobster dinner by Friday night. All the lobster you can eat, and in the beach!
7  Thank Robert F

Dear guest,

We are delighted reading your review and how wonderful was your time with us. We really appreciate your time in sharing your experience with other and your remarks in all our services and the friendliness of our staff.

Reviewed January 9, 2013

My husband & I went to Secrets Royal Beach to celebrate our Birthdays from 12/28/12-1/4/13. We were not disappointed. The resort was beautiful and the weather superb! Since it was around 10 degrees at home, we were happy to enjoy the balmy breezes. Adults only is the way to go! We went next door one night to the "Now" Larimar resort and were happy we weren't staying there. It was larger, louder, and with multiple kids running around.
We found the customer service to be exceptional overall. Most employees were friendly, and tried to accomodate you if they could. Their answer was "it's a pleasure". On arrival, we were greeted by Jasmin Rojas with "Welcome Home". If only...
The entertainment team was my favorite! I never participate when I go away, but the staff made you want to participate. Isaias & Speedy were great fun! I joined in fitness class & stretching on both the beach & at the pool, and learned the "cha-cha". The foam party was a blast!
The food was just average, but I have been to Punta Cana before, & I knew this.
I loved the plaza at night listening to the music with a glass of champagne. New Year's Eve was lovely and the entertainment team went all out to make it festive! We even had fire works!
I had a massage at the spa. The spa was beautiful, but pricey.
There are always small details which could be improved on any vacation, but overall, we enjoyed the resort.
The only unfortunate part of the vacation was that we had to leave!

7  Thank beach0621

Dear guest,

We are delighted reading your review and how wonderful was your time with us, keep being our pleasure to great you and we really appreciate your time in sharing your experience with others and your remarks on those little points that can helps us to keep improving our services further.

Reviewed January 8, 2013

Stayed at Secrets from 12/27 to 1/3 and I just LOVED it. The grounds are beautiful and spotlessly clean - even the beach/pool bathroom (!) The beach was gorgeous and water perfect - rooms were great - beautiful shower - we had a 3rd floor room up by the lobby - never heard a peep at night. I can't comment on the restaurants really - we only went to the Italian, but I thought it was very good. I LOVED the buffet and ate there all the time - the offerings were amazing in my opinion - from the mundane (pizza, pasta) to very adventurous - stuffed squid in ink sauce, micro fusion, fresh made smoothies at breakfast, all types of salads, fresh fish, veggies, soups, beautiful arrays of meats and cheeses - I thought it was outstanding. Okay entertainment at night but sitting on the plaza was always nice no matter what and the servers in the plaza were extremely attentive.

One thing that was a stand out here was the exceptional service - the staff here is absolutely amazing, helpful, friendly and genuine - keep an eye out for Steve, Santa and William on the beach and around the pool - they were SO incredible! Absolutely would be a reason to come back to visit again just to see them!

If you like to drink, eat, relax, swim, and lay in the sun in a little slice of heaven, this is the ultimate place to decompress. It did wonders for me after a hectic year. I guess if I had to say one bad thing, it was that we had to share this beautiful place with other guests! Haha - some people are cranky no matter what I guess.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
6  Thank Oystah

Dear guest,

We are delighted reading your review and how wonderful was your time with us. We really appreciate your time in sharing your experience with other travelers as your remarks about our staff services and friendliness.